Start by marking “The Medusa Stone” as Want to Read:
The Medusa Stone

The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer #3)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  884 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the tiny African nation of Eritrea, the American spy satellite Medusa has crashed but not before its sensors revealed an underground kimberlite pipeline, the telltale sign of a huge load of diamonds. The mine turns out to be King Solomon's Lost Mine, but with it is a tale of heartbreak---it was children who worked and died in the mine for 400 years, leading to many loca ...more
Published April 1st 2000 by Penguin Group US

To ask other readers questions about The Medusa Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medusa Stone

Michael
I did not enjoy this book. The characters were shallow with little to no redeeming moral virtue. Most of the book focused on middle eastern politics and terrorist groups, which might be good if that is your topic of interest, but this was not the book I was hoping it would be.
Amanda
Good adventure. Keeps you intrigued with a lot of action. Not necessarily believable, but that's not the point, right?!
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It starts out briskly, with an interesting premise. A spy satellite crashes to earth, but not before taking pictures of something in Eritea that a lot of people find interesting. A renowned geologist-adventurer soon finds himself in the thick of conspiracies trying to find what some believe to be a motherlode of diamonds, and other believe is much more.

Jack Du Brul knows how to get you hooked, but the book-killer is that the ending is incredibly weak. Not only is the secret a cliche, it's explai
Theresa
I spent the entirety of this book trying to decide how many stars to give it; some times it is a two sometimes a 4. I wish more of the elements that made it a four were allowed to shine.

First of all I'm glad I read the reviews of the first two Mercer books so I was ready for Du Brul's obsession with rape. While no rape actually is described in this book, he drops the word or concept entirely too much.

Second the Valley of the Dead children-every time they started talking about that I wanted to th
Jerome Statema
This book was an engrossing read. I hadn't realized that Jack Du Brul was such a good author in his own right. All I'd seen of him was the books he wrote with Clive Cussler for Cussler's "Oregon Files" series. I can see now why Cussler chose him. What kept this from a 5-star rating, were the noticeable occurences when he became repetitive, either in the characters' speech, or in descriptions, and what really did him no favors for me was the five times he call Marines, "soldiers". Overall, though ...more
Jack
Mar 25, 2010 Jack rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
this is the first of Jack DuBrul's solo novels that I've read (I've read several he co-authored with Clive Cussler and enjoyed them). I will be seeking his other solo efforts. This book centers on Philip Mercer, a geologist who has apparently had several other advetures (this is touted as his third). His best friend is kidnapped and he (Mercer) ends up being blackmailed into searching for a 'lost' diamond mine in Africa, aided by a mysterious African woman, he searches and finds the mine (which ...more
David Reynolds
I like Philip Mercer the more I read him.
Renee
No regrets on reading this one!
Nigel
This is the first book I've read by Jack du Brul, but have read all the co authors he has done with Clive Cussler. I have to say I really enjoyed it great knowledge of the subject by the author and really well put together story strong characters. You can really see his influence in the style of the books he has written with Cussler I will definitely be reading more, suppose I should start with the first one.
Judy
After the previous book I read (dull, dry) I wanted to read something packed with action and adventure and this book delivered. It was very macho with all manner of death, gunfire, explosions, and testosterone filled adventure. Some of it was ridiculously preposterous and that made me sad; sad that it was in this otherwise good book and sad that I couldn't just look past it in this work of fiction.
Luann
This book was about 200 pages too long. This guy got out of more dangerous situations in one story than Mitch Rapp gets out of in 3 Vince Flynn novels. It had the potential be be a good book - the story was certainly interesting enough, but it fell short due to a lack of substance in any of the characters and going on much longer than necessary.
Doubt I'd read another book by this author.
Michael Johnston
Not great literature, but not a bad tale as these go. My only complaint was that the main character didn't go more than 25 pages without being in a certain death situation. It really wasn't a mystery as much as it was a how can he survive story. It was worth the diversion it offered, but I wouldn't recommend it for those in need of an enthralling, edge of your seat thriller.
Faye Bierbower
This is definitely guy fiction. Swimming with excessive violence and everything you've ever seen in a cliché adventure movie, there's plenty of thrills here. The main disappointment was the line of romance threaded through the story, to make it more easily digested, I suppose. Recommended for a little escape from the every-day.
Joe Ganzi
I found Jack Du Brul after reading his collaborations with Clive Cussler. This is the first of his solo novels that I've read and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has all the action of a Cussler/Dirk Pitt novel with a bit more edginess. Cussler is one of my favorite authors but the PG rated stories get old after a while.
Susan Freeman
What a great read. love the character of Philip Mercer and the good writing of the author, the writing flowing, story engrossing, and fast paced throughout the book. Looking forward to reading the next Mercer story.
Shaft
He can be a little too much of a hero sometime too arrogant in his belief. I like Phil and his friends but I hope the next book changes things up a little.
Leslie
Not what I thought it would be, but once I got into the middle of it, got past all the expositions, it turned out to be a slow starting good book.
shannon
Jul 09, 2007 shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller fans
Shelves: loved
Read this one with popcorn - it made me squeal like a big screen action movie. This is action/adventure fiction at it's best.
Linda
Not a book I picked out for myself. My husband bought it for me while I was sick in bed. We'll see.....
Ruth
Good. Death defying action. Similar to Cussler - I guess thats why they collaborate now.
Kelly O.
Good action/adventure. Fun summer read!
Rose Najera
The sex scenes were inprobable.
Kenneth Flusche
Apr 04, 2012 Kenneth Flusche rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men
Ditto to all Mercer stories
Bart
Good adventure book
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • Primeval (Event Group Adventure, #5)
  • Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • Icefall
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...
Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1) Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4) Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7) River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5) Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)