Start by marking “Signs and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Signs and Wonders

Signs and Wonders (Harmony #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A Year of Laughter and Grace in harmony

Master storyteller Philip Gulley returns to the winsome ways of Harmony, Indiana, in the third installment of the beloved Harmony series.
Published January 29th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Signs and Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs and Wonders

Elaine
Wow, how exciting can it be to be the tenderloin queen? Sam's wife was several years ago. Now she has won a trip for two to the Caribbean. Since Sam is too busy, she takes Mabel. In the Caribbean people don't know Barbara is a minister's wife so she can gamble and have a drink if she wants and no one would be the wiser.

Bob at the newspaper opens a very old time capsule and finds an old coin. He doesn't want anyone to know. He is so proud of his haggling skills in selling it to a coin shop until
Talleyfamily6
There is an earlier comment where the reader says she is tired of Sam not standing up for what is right - just rolling over for the congregation. I didn't like this book very much. I think the author has grace confused. Christ offers us grace but he requires repentance. There is not much repentance required just that everyone else offer acceptance. The only one in the books that knows the Bible is the one portrayed as obnoxious, judgmental, shall we say "right-wing"? The other loving, kind consi ...more
Lanette
I'm giving this a two instead of a three because I'm upset with Gulley. He is portraying Christians just the way the media portrays us... as bogotted, hypocritical know-it-alls. Now, I realize these problems do exist in Christian circles, but not to the extent they do in the Harmony Friends' Church. Sam (the pastor) is starting to annoy me because he doesn't have the gumption (conviction?) to stand up for what he knows is right. He lets those in the congregation preach heresy from his pulpit and ...more
Mary Baker
This is another good read in the Harmony series. I have enjoyed reading about the congregation of a small Quaker church and its minister. Many of the same characters are in my church, including myself!!
Katherine
This is probably the end of the series for me. The first book hit a wonderful balance of inspirational, funny, and uplifting, however the second, and now this third book, have degenerated into a somewhat humorous (in a mean way) snark-fest with the characters sniping at each other and acting in stupid and/or annoying ways. Thank heaven (Dis)Harmony is a fictional place because frankly that many completely clueless individuals living in one small town would be more than unfortunate, more along th ...more
Leanne
Meh - an ok read. Definitely the weakest of the series. I'm glad that I got this one from the library after the others. I may have given up on the series if I had read them in order. The ones after this one are definitely much better! The first one was also really good.
Elaine
When I like something, I want it over and over again. I listen to music albums on repeat for weeks on end. I order the same thing every time when I got to my favorite restaurant.

Reading signs and wonders was an incredibly pleasant experience for me because it was the exact same kind of wonderful as the first two books.

If you like unexpected plot twists, don't read this book. If you like books that are constantly introducing new and interesting characters, don't read this book. If you like warm,
Donna
Loved this series
Teri Pre
Love this series!!
Joyce
Not as good as his others but still a good series! Love the characters in Mr Gulley's books!
Mary
I feel he kind of lost his rhythm in this one. It's good, but a little too predictable and similar to the others to feel fresh. I do like how the author addresses hard issues through the characters of the book, and gently encourages us to introspection on whom we are most like...Dale Hinshaw, Miriam Hodge, or Sam Gardner?
Melissa Dials
I wish someone would make this series into a tv series....Quaker minister, Sam Gardner, not only takes care of his flock, but also has to head off-at-the pass several of the unenlightened Christians in his parish...when the Quaker Superintendent gets called in, it's just another day for Sam in a little town called Harmony.
Rosanne
I like this series, but I do not like everything about it. There are a few themes that I skip over. I keep reading the series because of his writing style. He understands human nature. I want to find out more about a few of the characters. Some of the characters I am tired of them.
Tep Mayo
This will take you on a heartwarming journey into a small Protestant town. Charming stories of Church life. Christians and active church officers, regardless of religion, will find the book funny, insightful, sincere, and mostly true-- when it comes to human nature and church life.
Julie
I guess I am just a sucker for these books. They are funny yet have an important message about what it is to be a true Christian. I wouldn't classify them as Christian fiction, however. I think anyone with a sense of humor and a broad mind would enjoy this series.
Stacey H
Very funny. If you live in a small town, or are a minister, this book will be appealing. All of the characters are quirky and have problems, and the minister has to try and keep them all happy. Christian fiction, but not evangelical.
Vania
This is the third book in the Harmony series. The series is set in a Quaker community in the small town of Harmony. It's wonderful. I loved all the small town characters and it is so funny in places. Thouroughly recommend this series
Patty
The Harmony series continues with Sam Gardner in his third year as a Quaker Minister. Get to know the townspeople even better in this third book of the Harmony Series. A quick read that leaves you feeling good about life.
Carol Ann Beadles
I love all of these Harmony books, they are so funny. Poor Sam has got to put up with all of the crazy people in his congregation but when it is all said and done, it is worth it!
Ava
I really enjoy the characters in this series. The theology is messed up, but I don't read fiction for theology. The stories are clean, funny, and, at times, touching.
Barbara
Gulley has a way of bringing up what you have certainly thought of and/or did, but in a way that is humorous, yet convicting
... What a great gift he has!
Linda Brough
Balloons with the plan of salvation message. A pumpkin tossing contest and a new stove for noodle making for the women in the church.
Julieb
The Harmony drama continues with insightful look at the quirky members of the Quaker community.. Fun read and witty take on closeknit group
Diane
I really loved these "light" books. I did laugh out loud. They are quick, feel good books. I like to read them in published order.
Virginia
Amusing stories but filled with liberal theology and ridicule of those more conservative, exaggerated for humorous effect.
Carrie
This is a cute enjoyable series that is fun and easy to read. We all know people who are like the characters in thses stories.
Amy
I don't agree with all of the author's theology, but I enjoy his look at small town & small church life.
Rachel
This was my least-favorite of the Harmony Novels but still such a great book!
NancyInWI
I haven't met a Philip Gulley Harmony book that I haven't liked!
Daniel
Feb 26, 2008 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
An enjoyable book, that accurately paints a picture of rural America.
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Velma Still Cooks in Leeway
  • Rebecca's Rose (Forever After in Apple Lake #2)
  • The Welcome Committee of Butternut Creek: A Novel
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • A Warmth in Winter (Heavenly Daze, #3)
  • The Mitford Years Boxed Set Volumes 1-3
  • Home Song: A Cape Light Novel
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • Dearest Dorothy, Merry Everything! (Dearest Dorothy, #5)
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby, #3)
Philip Gulley has become the voice of small-town American life. Along with writing Front Porch Tales, Hometown Tales, and For Everything a Season, Gulley is the author of the Harmony series of novels, as well as If Grace Is True and If God Is Love, which are coauthored with James Mulholland.

He hosts "Porch Talk with Phil Gulley" on the Indiana PBS affiliate WFYI television's flagship show Across I
More about Philip Gulley...
Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1) Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2) Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4) If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1) Life Goes On: A Harmony Novel (Harmony, #5)