Start by marking “Oldest Living Vampire Tells All” as Want to Read:
Oldest Living Vampire Tells All

Oldest Living Vampire Tells All (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"My legal name where I currently reside in the city of Liege, Belgium, in the year 2010 A.D., is Gaspar Valessi, but that is not my real name. The name I was given some 30,000 years ago, when I was born in a Paleolithic settlement in the region that is now called Germany-- the name my father gave me shortly after I was voided, bloody and howling, from my mother's womb-- is...more
Published (first published January 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Oldest Living Vampire Tells All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oldest Living Vampire Tells All

Jaycee
Just...excellent!

I did not think it was possible to surprise me, or "wow" me, or make me stray from PNR for escape, but dayum...I love this guy!

Imaginative to a tee, irreverent to the extreme, analytical in a completely subversive way, and the result is a masterpiece in fiction, period: subgenre notwithstanding.

History embellished by brilliant imagination, detailed through the eyes of the ultimate predator, even among predators, his condition as basic and unforgiving as the human condition. 30,...more
Darlene Ruiz
I came across Rod Redux's The Oldest Living Vampire Tells All shortly after I bought my kindle back in January 2012. It kept popping up when I was searching for books to download. So I downloaded a sample and I knew I was going to love this series! I love vampire stories and this one was fantastic! There are some really explicit sex scenes but I thought they were told beautifully and not raunchy what so ever. The vampire Gon is very funny at times and I find myself laughing out loud alot. I comp...more
Samuel
Super trashy, but enticing concept. Caveman Vampire (Campire?) tells how he started life in a questionably researched Cro-Magnon village. Was semi-competently written except for the the painful asides berating the reader for being scandalised by caveman orgies. Not particularly satisfying as this first volume only gets as far as 28000BCE. All in all only really one step above Anne Rice fanfiction. Points for effort though I guess? Those points immediately taken away for 'Rod Redux' being a reall...more
Pierre
If you are looking for pure fun in a novel and you are not afraid of sex and unconventional family arrangements outside the realm of our modern and limited nuclear family concept, if you don't have issues with books that toss aside religion to regard the world from a more rational and reasoned point of view, and you like prehistoric stories, then this book may well be for you. (Sorry for the long sentence.)

I don't want to give the impression that this novel is heavily philosophical. It is not. T...more
Brad
I had trouble rating this book. If I rated it purely on my own subjective enjoyment, I would have rated it at about a 1.5 or 2, but I don't think that's fair to the author or the book.

The book isn't really about a vampire at all, it's about a human man who lived 30,000 years ago. Only the last 30% or so really deals with the vampire aspect, and even then it's mostly about the transformation and the protagonists internal (and external) conflict over it.

That said, I thought the main character wa...more
Cheryl
Kind of "over" vampier books. Another recommended book from Amazon, right price and got interesting/good reviews. So I'm going to give it a chance!

Well... interesting... I have to say I did enjoy the book and story line. Very interesting concept and take on a very common story. I personnally didn't care for the "graphic" descriptions posed by the author as to the life style of the main characters. I'll let you "read" into what I mean yourself. Definitely not a book for children. But, I guess I c...more
Chris
This is a fascinating story set in prehistoric times. The fact that Gon became a vampire is secondary to the setting and the portrayal of the relationship between the four main characters and the description of the community in which he originated.
Beth
This was a fun and intriguing story. Left me wanting to hear more of Gon's story. Luckily the author has written a few sequels. FYI, if you are squeamish or a prude you may not enjoy his style. I find that his characters are so interesting and well described, even if they are completely deplorable. I have also read several other books by Rod and have enjoyed everyone. I highly recommend anything by this author.
Chio Duran
I loved this book!!!! As soon as I turned the first page I was hooked with the story and the characters. What I liked the most about this particular book is the explicit description of what a vampire is. The author provides a believable depiction of what really happens during the existance of a creature of the night.
Debra
Wow! I was certainly surprised at how much I liked this book! Extremely well written from start to finish. I am a die-hard Anne Rice fan but the Vampire Gon is equal to Lestat in grace and dignity. Joseph Duncan's novel was fascinating being set in a pre-ice age era. Gon was a loving family man as well as a fierce warrior and hunter. His story was beautifully told and when it ended I felt a void! If you liked Anne Rice' Vampire books this series meets the high standard of story telling and then...more
Jim
This was a good read and I enjoyed it starting 30,000 years ago with a prehistoric character being turned.. Add to that the fact that this vampire is bi sexual and just can't understand the modern obsession with choosing just one type of love to be with :-), this book is a hoot! There are more in the series I plan on reading.
Michael Field
This was a great book. Couldn't put it down; the ending was great and left you wanting more.
Joe
Dec 05, 2012 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: vampire
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Rod Redux's Oldest Living Vampire Series! In the Oldest Living Vampire Tells All, he takes us back 30,000 years to Paleolithic Germany and shows us the life, death and rebirth of Gon. Rod's take on family life, sex, and interspecies relationships was quite interesting and fun to read. The making of Gon into a vampire was a real page turner, and then the emotional turmoil of losing all that he loved was a definite tug on the heart strings. I'm pretty much hooked...more
Rachael Booth
Very interesting take on the vampire character. But sometimes disturbing out-of-the-genre descent into guttural sexual talk that is quite jarring because of its seeming bad fit in the usual speech patterns of the character and the story. But that is only fleeting and really doesn't detract from an otherwise great store about a 30,000 year old vampire living today and retelling the story of his stone-age tribe, his turning, and surviving through the millenia watching all he loves die and wither a...more
Irene
As an avid horror fan this is not the type of book I usually buy. The reviews and the description at amazon (A blend of historic fact, fearsome fantasy and explicit sex)caught my attention. It was an interesting, well written, and enjoyable story. Even though it's not exactly my type, I'll be reading part 2 to see what happens to Gon next.
Debby
What more can you ask for from a book - a vampire from Paolithic times! I love history and I love vampires! Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
And I thought my vampire, Gaius, was old!
Please note, the second book in this series has way too much X-rated and cruel content, which ruined the book, as far as I am concerned.
D.L. Atha
This is a vampire novel but in the loosest sense of the word. It's more of a early prehistoric novel. The writing is good and the characters well developed. I even shed a few tears. I suspect the next one in the series is more "vampirey."
There is quite a bit of anti-religion propaganda but otherwise well written and entertaining.
Melanie Miller
This first installment of the series is not a vampire book, but a prehistoric account of his life before becoming a vampire. I enjoyed the story though; it was well written. I am looking forward to the second book in the series Oldest Living Vampire On the Prowl.
Sarah Goodner
Caveman sex...hmmm. Although Rod Redux is no Anne Rice, the story of this 30,000 year-old vampire still kept my attention. Lots of graphic details, lots of sex (maybe to the point of overshadowing other everyday activities), and a little plausible history. Not bad.
Lisa Blondin
Enjoyable

Not so light as the Twilight series nor so deep as Interview with a Vampire, the Oldest Living Vampire is an enjoyable mix of prehistory, vampire lore, action and sensuality. I look forward to the other books in the series.
Liz
OK, this was fantastic. I got it for free through an Amazon promotion, not expecting much. But man, the story was good, the writing was good, and I'm invested - so much so that I'm thinking about buying the next volume in the series.
Jessica
the first few pages have been mesmerizing...looking forward to reading the rest of the book
Dana Goddard
Interesting, makes you think what would it be like to be a few millenniums old.
Kathy Smickle
different type of vampire book. but enjoyed it. something out of the ordinary
Tibbs
Eh, it was ok, priced at $1.99 for the kindle for a reason. quick, easy read
Noel
It was a bit short, but a great read!
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • 61 A.D.
  • The Concrete Grove
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • Gated
  • Bay's End
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)
  • Demon Gene (The Vampire Revelation, #1)
  • The Graveyard Speaks
  • Angel of Death (The Chosen Chronicles #1)
  • Crawlspace
  • Bad Blood: A Vampire Thriller
  • The Tent
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
  • Peter and the Vampires
  • Forever Fifteen
  • Snowblind
  • You Only Die Twice
Born in Southern Illinois, Rod was raised in a very liberal home environment and was exposed at an early age to the classic underground comic book scene of the sixties and seventies, as well as European graphic novels by artists like Moebius, Enki Bilal and Milo Manara. At age 9, he was reading Tolkien and Stephen King. He wrote his first novella at age 10. If you want to read the same old formula...more
More about Joseph Duncan...
The Oldest Living Vampire on the Prowl (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #2) Mort The Oldest Living Vampire in Love (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #3) House of Dead Trees The Oldest Living Vampire Betrayed (The Oldest Living Vampire Saga, #4)