Start by marking “The Tower and the Hive” as Want to Read:
The Tower and the Hive

The Tower and the Hive (The Tower and the Hive #5)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  5,582 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
With their goals of peace and prosperity close at hand, the Rowan's descendants face the looming destruction of all they have suffered to achieve.
Published May 1st 2000 by Ace Books (first published January 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower and the Hive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tower and the Hive

Grace
Mar 20, 2011 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. This is a stupid book.

Within the first 20 pages, three main characters sit around and summarize the series so far. They're not doing this to catch up a third party; they're literally sitting around and telling each other their own family history. Thian actually says to his brother and first cousin: "...they had met their match in Jeff Raven and Angharad Gwyn aka The Rowan..." It would be like me meeting up with my cousins and saying "And then our grandmother, the Irishwoman Eileen aka Lee, m
CJ
Mar 22, 2008 CJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book that I've actually flung across the room. It was because of a scientific inaccuracy. You can't use gas chromatographs to identify unknowns! I actually wrote to her about it and got a very cordial response.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ My home library.

The Talents of FT&T along with the Space Navy and the Mrdini continue to identify all of the Hiver worlds. They need to find as many as possible and figure out a way to keep the Queens from leaving and wiping out other worlds. The descendants of the Rowan and Jeff Raven hold many of the top positions of Prime and the untalented say the Gwyn-Raven line holds too many powerful positions. However, no other single family has produced so many Primes and it’s a ma
Simon Mcleish
Jun 18, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2000.

The fifth, concluding, novel in The Tower and the Hive sequence is, unfortunately, something of a disappointment, even in a series which has already declined from its best. The books are among McCaffrey's most juvenile and have few redeeming features other than being fun to read.

The plot continues the story of the telepaths' leading of the resistence to the genocidal attacks on human and Mrdini planets of the insectile Hivers. The issues raise
Kim
Jul 27, 2014 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now this is almost a three, there were some really good parts in it and normally I would make it a three, but this being the last in the series made me a little bit more harder on it, because it was also an Ending. That being said though, it didn't feel like an Ending, I mean yes quite a few of the plot-lines were tied up, but it was still left fairly open ended and didn't go into depth some of the things I was hoping it would. The Hivers were never really contacted, though progress seemed to be ...more
Lindsay
Apr 26, 2009 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this conclusion to the Rowan series - I read it some time ago, but remember being bored to death with page after page of space-battle and precious little of the character interaction or relationships that I read the first few books for. Yuck.
Colleen
Nov 05, 2016 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
This book is a little clunky; especially when I compare the reading experience to Damia, which I must've re-read ten+ times between when I picked it up at twelve and about sixteen or seventeen. McCaffrey's most comfortable surroundings are not space fleets. This book may be a relatively natural conclusion to the tale of the aggressive Hivers, but it's never as interesting as when they were actually menacing humanity. In fact this book has very little in the way of villainy or opposition to the P ...more
Bex Godfrey
When I first read this I hated it, over time it's grown on me but I still don't like the focus on military solutions and discontent amongst talent.
Reading it so close to the others there are glaring mistakes in time lines (give up trying to work out how long a plot takes) and in character background compared to what was mentioned earlier.
The story wraps up most time lines wonderfully whilst leaving it open for future children and a life time of space travel.
Amy Bradley
Dec 31, 2016 Amy Bradley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last novel of the five book series. The Alliance searches for a solution to prevent the Hive from continuing its genocidal colonial expansion. As well, Zara and Elizara work with the Mrdini to explore ways of controlling their population.

I thought it was a great read, although the end did feel like there could be another novel after. The big problems get dealt with - but the social issues seem like there could be future problems for FT&T.
Swallowfeather
OK, I admit, I kinda skipped some parts. It was just so boring! There are way too many characters for you to care about them, very little character development on each one (most were little more than names to me) and their interactions are largely unbelievable. One character is described as poisonous & horrible--he's sent to help this other character in a Tower and is sent packing at the very first instant because she has this violent and Officially Rightful aversion to him... then he's sent ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I came across most of the previous books in this series at the library's jumble sale, and felt weirdly compelled to re-read them. It's weird ... I never appreciated before how this series attempts to combine a bunch of happily-ever-after romance tropes with some entirely different tropes — standard hero stuff about being the chosen one with special powers, and saving the human race, and the ethics of war and science and killing.

I feel a little more charitable about the Laria and Kincaid subplot.
Bookjunkieli
Aurian Booklover
Jan 02, 2015 Aurian Booklover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book of the series, and everything comes to an end. The Fleets have found all the occupied Hiver colonies they could, and have made sure that they have no spaceships left to leave their planets and colonize/annihilate another planet. But now they have to find a way to contain the Hiver population so there is no need for it.
And not only that, now there are no longer any need for Mrdini to “go on the line” in the space ships, their worlds are becoming dangerously overpopulated as well. Z
Len Evans
Jun 05, 2013 Len Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-mccaffrey
I thought the author did a wonderful job with not only this book of the series but the series as a whole. She crafted this final book of the series to answer all questions at least that I felt demanded answers; while at the same time laying plenty of hints at possible direction this series could go if her son decided to venture off Pern sometime in the future, and continue the adventures she so brilliantly wove in yet another detailed and fascinating universe she gifted us with. One thing that I ...more
Hettie
This is the last book in the series and in some ways it does well in wrapping up the story. Certainly by the end of the book the Hive is dealt with but there are still a number of issues that are not resolved.

I found in hard to be really interested in the more shipboard storylines in this book. I was much more interested in Larias story which was a change for me from the last book. I would have liked to have seen more from this aspect and I felt that her story was left incomplete.

At times the s
Concha
Jul 23, 2012 Concha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if it was just the E-reader version, but there where a lot of punctuation, spacing, spelling, etc. errors. I was often having to go back and re-read something because a letter or word was omitted that caused the whole meaning of a sentence to change.
The book itself wasn't horrible, it just felt very rushed. She had so many characters that she bounced from one point of view to the next without warning. Because of this the sequence of events was often jumbled and many characters were
Kathleen Dixon
I was a bit disappointed in the pacing of this novel. It's written as if it's going to be continued, but that wouldn't make sense character-wise, as there were getting too many and the generations were diffusing the interest the reader has in the original key characters. I think McCaffrey must have thought there could be more. And there could, in a way if she did side-stories like she did with the Pern series. For this series, though, it's just concluded too quickly. I would have liked more soli ...more
Justy
I really really wanted to like this book. I loved the first books of the series and re-read them over and over. The last 2 books felt 'clunky' to me, way too much 'catching up' in the beginning, I wanted to keep going with the story of the series but had to read the review because new stuff was mixed in. This book took over a chapter to get past the review.
There were a lot of moments where things didn't really make sense in the Talents dealings on the Hive worlds and I don't think I feel satisf
Amalia Dillin
Dec 29, 2013 Amalia Dillin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
I don't know. The rest of this series just doesn't live up to The Rowan for me at all. The final 3 books feel kind of like they just string together, and there are so many new characters tossed in along the way that you don't really get to see a strong character arc for any single protagonist. Maybe that's what bothers me most -- I like personal stories, and these novels are definitely a story of humanity vs alien invaders. Also, I have no idea what the purpose of including some of the side char ...more
Sophia
as a note for anyone considering reading this series: the first two are fairly dated but otherwise feature excellent sci-fi heroines who are full of agency and are well-rounded characters. starting in the third book the universe expands tremendously as it becomes a mix of inter-generational family epic and pseudo-scientific space exploration, neither of which are mccaffrey's forte. this last book generally ties a very limp bow on the entire series and i cannot in good conscience recommend it to ...more
Hannah Green
Not sure if this is exclusive to the ebook version on Kobo, but oh my god I have to say that I have never picked up a McCaffrey book with as many formatting errors as The Tower and the Hive. Wow. Every single page there were misplaced spaces, periods, or paragrpahs where someone forgot to turn off the italics during a telepathic conversation. Really breaks the flow! Despite the annoying format errors I did enjoy this book; I love Anne McCaffrey and The Rowan/Tower & Hive series is one of my ...more
Danae Harding
Dec 01, 2008 Danae Harding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in McCaffrey's Talent series. It is also a particularly good book. I read Lyon's Pride and didn't know/couldn't find a sequel. I was very unhappy, because Lyon's Pride left a lot of ends loose. Then I discovered this book at the Orem Public Library and was able to finish the exquisite series. Like I have said, I read these books often. I'm never able to read one without reading the others too.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
It's the last in this storyline. How sad for me. It is a lovely conclusion to a series I very much enjoyed. Gwyn-Raven clan is quite expansive and I can see why people are envious of their power. The natural talent they have is amazing. They are the FT&T royalty. I still think this series is more for young adults rather than adults, but what do I know?

I enjoyed reading about the Gwyn-Raven(Lyon) grandkids who carry-on in their grandparent's footsteps.
Althea Ann
The last book set in her world of The Rowan - where a nepotistic clan of psychically gifted Talents high-handedly control shipping, communication and transportation, and deal with the major issues facing civilization (relations with aliens both friendly and inimical, overpopulation, etc..) in their own way.
Gets off to a bit of slow start, explaining prior events in this world, but soon gets going with full-blown McCaffrey soap-opera.
Jim
Mar 28, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the last book in the Rowan/Pegasus series. McCaffrey needed to finish up this series and did so with this lackluster version of her Rowan series books. It was ok. I liked it but it does not earn five stars. It was good in that it wrapped up the solution to the Hivers and got everyone married and pregnant. There were segments that were so tedious that I skimmed and only read the first line of each paragraph. Still, you need to read this one to finish the series.
Rachel
Dec 26, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I felt like in the arc with Damia and Afra's children, McCaffrey finally got tired of inventing good characters. She couldn't be bothered to come up with mates for the kids that were remotely good matches, so she used characters she'd created for surely other purposes and pretended there was romance in the air, when there clearly wasn't. I am finding myself disillusioned with McCaffrey.
Vicki Jaeger
I believe this was the last in the series, which is okay with me. It got way too sci-fi, focused on alien creatures and their reproduction as well as battle ships and going to war. In general it was missing the personal connections and relationships that most of her books have. Someone steered her back to expanding the Pern series after this, thank goodness!
Melanie
Feb 16, 2009 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this series and have loved almost all of Anne McCaffrey's books since my sister gave me the Dragon Riders of Pern - one of my all time favorites - in 1979. This particular book didn't grab me like the others, but I am happy to have finished another engaging series by my favorite sci fi/fantasy author.
Jess
Feb 12, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-re-readables
One of my favorites

This book ties up the loose plot arcs of the previous books. It also includes a new twist or two of its own,but does a good job of bringing the series to a close.

I have only two issues. 1) Mcaffery's way of dealing with homosexuality and 2) the ebook version I got needs a good editor as it has a lot of formatting issues, some of which cause confusion.
Al
From Publishers Weekly

Much had been done to limit and destroy the powers of the terrible Hivers, who
had torn through space, annihilating every living thing that stood in their way.
But still the Alliance had to discover the whereabouts of every last Hiver world
and stop the Queens from further colonization.

• The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy, #2)
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Robin & The Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)
  • The Shadow Matrix (Darkover, #25)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

The Tower and the Hive (5 books)
  • The Rowan (The Tower and the Hive, #1)
  • Damia (The Tower and the Hive, #2)
  • Damia's Children (The Tower and the Hive, #3)
  • Lyon's Pride (The Tower and the Hive, #4)