Start by marking “The Sevenfold Spell” as Want to Read:
The Sevenfold Spell

The Sevenfold Spell (Accidental Enchantments #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Have you ever wondered what happens to the other people in the fairy tale?

Things look grim for Talia and her mother. By royal proclamation, the constables and those annoying "good" fairies have taken away their livelihood by confiscating their spinning wheel. Something to do with a curse on the princess, they said.

Not every young lady has a fairy godmother rushing to her r
Published (first published September 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Sevenfold Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sevenfold Spell

Tina
Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Most readers who follow the fantasy blogs will recognize Tia Nevitt’s name — she’s been running her own debut blog for years and is a regular contributor at the website I contribute to. She also happens to be a personal friend; she lives in my city and we like to trade books.

I suppose that’s why she didn’t send me a review copy of her own debut novella, The Sevenfold Spell. She probably figured I’d feel obligated to say something nice. Well I don’t (I’m no
Lindsay Pittman
Let me start by saying that there is some adult content in this book, though it is predominantly a fantasy. It contains a strong romantic subplot, but doesn't follow the normal pattern of romances at all. Even so, whether you're a fantasy fan or a romance fan -- and especially if you're a fan of fairy tales, you should read The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt.

I'm an avid fan of fairy tales. This book (The Sevenfold Spell) strongly appeals to me because of its fairytale-like theme.

Of course, this i
Krystle
I decided to pick up an ARC of this because I love fairy tales, and this was a retelling of one of my favorites, Sleeping Beauty. The beautiful cover helped too with its vibrant colors and neat wavy title. I like it when designers do things with the title than have it in some standard straight text.

There were many areas where I thought things could have been fleshed out; characterizations, elapsing of time, and transitions into new conflicts, but seeing as how this is a novella I think I can exc
Bettie
Between the Covers
This book was not at all what I was expecting. I thought this book would show the characters of the Sleeping Beauty story in a new light and add more details and side stories. Instead, this seemed to be the story of self-discovery for Talia, the town harlot, with the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale woven loosely throughout it.

Once I adjusted my expectations, this story was enjoyable. Talia had a clear voice throughout the story, and it was interesting to see how certain events fit within the original
If you could adapt a fairytale, how would you do it? Would you keep it traditional or add your own personal twist to spice it up? Tia Nevitt has definitely chosen the latter. Talia is the so called ugly duckling of her village and she longs to be loved. She meets Willard at the market; he too isn't all that appealing to the ladies. They become somewhat of an item and Talia quickly becomes obsessed with having his baby. Marriage becomes a possibility but as quickly as they came together they are ...more
Kt
Everyone knows the story of Sleeping Beauty, but what about the other characters? What happened to them when all of the spinning wheels were destroyed? In this book we meet Talia, a homely girl with only one real prospect at marriage, a boy named Willard. When their spinning wheel was destroyed and Talia and her mother have no way to make an income, Willard's father refuses to allow them to marry. When his father announces he will be sending Willard to a Monestary in three weeks, Talia gives Wil ...more
Chibineko
If you're a fan of fairy tales or even if you're not, you've more than likely heard the tale of Sleeping Beauty or seen one of the many different film versions of it. You know the princess, the good fairies, the evil fairy who conspires to commit murder by spinning wheel, as well as the prince who eventually breaks the spell & wins the girl. But what about the other people, the ones who are hurt by the destruction of the kingdom's spinning wheels?

Nevitt gives us her own interpretation of thi
E.B. Loan
I really enjoyed this book. More than my last four choices combined. It was a the perfect bite sized adventure for me. I'm posting my review from my review blog: http://elsielovesfiction.blogspot.com

A Fairy Tale of a Book,That Deserves a Storybook Review
(Finally, a review!)
A month ago I downloaded a novella from Carina Press. For those that haven't been there, it is a nice little site. A subsidiary of Harlequin, they publish solely in ebook format & every Tuesday(? I think?) they post select
Lexie
Grace
I am wavering hard on a 2-star or a 3-star.

This novella is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I think the blurb does a terrible job and misleads the audience into thinking that the main character somehow replaces Sleeping Beauty. You go into the novella thinking that's what's going to happen. It doesn't happen that way.

This book was really well written and it does a credible job of having you feel sorry for the main character. But honestly, she was written to be so grotesque that it was a bit hard
Susana
Unfortunately this one is more along a 1,5 stars. And i say unfortunately because the story did sound promising.

A retelling of sleeping beauty told by a young woman, Talia, who sees her life being altered due to a royal decree: All spinning wheels in the kingdom must be destroyed, in order to protect the life of princess Aurora fom her sleeping beauty curse.

The beginning, let me tell you, that it was very interesting. Those first pages really took me by surprise, and i was really looking forwar
Kate Dirty Girls' Good Books
When it is decreed that all spinning wheels in the country need to be destroyed (you recognize Sleeping Beauty here, right?), Talia and her mother lose their only source of income. But Talia loses a bit more. They are forced to use her dowry to fund the purchase of a loom as well as food for the pair of them. With her dowry depleted, her chance for marriage disappears.

Willard, a local farm boy, had agreed to marry Talia. But being a younger son and no longer having her dowry, the pair would not
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
The Sevenfold Spell is an original but very adult take on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. It may seem a bit confusing at first but everything is explained and revealed as you go. Although this is a "re-telling" it still fits within the constraints of what makes a "fairy tale". This is not a novel or a full length story so please don't judge it as one.

I will warn that this book contains a lot of sex but it doesn't diminish the story. It's part of the tragedy that is Talia's life. I couldn't help
Anne Dirty Girls' Good Books
I wasn't sure whether this short story was a romance, which is what I normally read from publisher Carina, or if it was a fairytale retelling, which I also enjoy. So, I figured I'd be good either way. I did enjoy the story. I'd describe it as a fairytale with a happy ending. The one thing I wasn't expecting was the heroine having on the page sex with men other than the hero. I know that could be a deal breaker for some. I thought it was a good story that I'll probably read again.

Though the story
April
I actually bought this one —the premise intrigued me, and I simply love fairy tales and their various retellings. The book didn't disappoint me, and for the price, I thought it was a very good buy; the story had a lot of meat, and I liked the heroine, homeliness and all. Probably the only thing that put me off was the number of sexual partners the hero and heroine ended up having, but I don't think the story would have worked as well any other way, considering that the heroine had only her body ...more
Christin (Portrait of a Book)

Bookworm1858
The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt
Carina Press, 2010
70 pages
Fairy Tale; Adult
4/5 stars

Source: Netgalley

Summary: When Princess Aurora had a curse placed on her, all of the spinning wheels in the land were destroyed. What happens to the women dependent on them for their living? For Talia, a very plain girl, a new future is self-created no matter the whispers and rumors and begets the legend of the Sleeping Beauty.

Thoughts: I love fairy-tale retellings so requesting this was a no brainer. I was a bi
Stella
I have to say The Sevenfold Spell is the fairy tale retelling I have read which is the most original and which deviates the most from the classic fairy tale. I loved Tia Nevitt's unique perception of what really happened in the Sleeping Beauty tale. There are two main arcs where The Sevenfold Spell differs from the original Sleeping Beauty: the arc regarding the heroine Talia and the other one concerning the princess.

Let me first start with Talia's story.

The story grips the reader right from the
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
Everyone enjoys a true Happily Ever After tale, but what happens to the people living in the kingdom who are also effected by the hero/heroine's curse? The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt, the first in her Accidental Enchantments series, centers around Talia, a spinner whose spinning when is taken away after a curse is laid upon the princess destined to become Sleeping Beauty.

Talia's story is heartbreakingly sad. She is a very plain girl with few marriage prospects. She spins to make a living alo
Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)
I grew up watching Disney’s Sleeping Beauty, falling in love with the delightful fairies and the beautiful princess every time I watched it. But there was another side to the story that I had never considered, and author Tia Nevitt has brought it to life.

A royal decree declared that every spinning wheel in the land should be destroyed. But what would become of those in the town who depended on their spinning wheels to earn their wages? Talia, the town’s most plain looking woman, loses her only p
Falling Off The Shelf
This review was originally posted on my review blog : http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com

I've always been a huge fan of a good fairy tale retelling, and when I read the synopsis of this book on NetGalley I had to read it. Sleeping Beauty has always been one of my favorites, and I wanted to read what Nevitt's take on this story would be. I was surprised at the approach, but still intrigued.

Normally, the princess is the main character, but not in this retelling. A young maiden from a tiny villa
Kim
Talia and their mother have always made their living by spinning, but with the new laws of the land, they lose their sole source of income. For Talia, it also meant the loss of her potential husband and children. Finally, facing absolute poverty, Talia and her mother determine to build a new, illicit spinning wheel, using any means necessary. Through ups and downs, sacrifice and heartache, Talia has never forgotten her first love and dreams of being with him once again.

Being a fellow veteran, I
Ranting Dragon

I don’t usually read novellas, nor do I read ebooks. But the premise of The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt was too good to ignore. The first story in the Accidental Enchantments series, this is a retelling of the story of Sleeping Beauty and it’s a retelling in a way that has never been done before.

Sleeping Beauty retold
The Sevenfold Spell tells the story of Talia, a regular girl living in the city when Aurora, the princess of Sleeping Beauty, is born. Tali
Colette

I have to admit, growing up I was never one to question what happened to the other people in fairy tales. However, ever since I read A Happily Ever After of Her Own by Nadia Lee and seeing the musical Wicked, my curiosity in this area has grown. So when I was on Netgalley the other day looking for the Winter Passage by Julie Kawaga and saw this novella, I knew I had to give it a try.

The Sevenfold Spell is spin off of the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty. Ever since Princess Aurora had a curse put on
Jessica
Going into The Sevenfold Spell I had certain expectations, since it was a retelling of a fairy tale. As a reader who has fallen in love with these types of stories, I am always excited to see how the author takes the characters and puts them in new situations. My high expectations for this story may have been why I was a little taken aback when I first began reading. Part of me knew that this book was more about other characters, and less about the main characters, but I was still a little disap ...more
Mel