Start by marking “If You're Talking to Me, Your Career Must Be in Trouble: Movies, Mayhem, and Malice” as Want to Read:

Now in paperback--the hilarious and scandalous book that skewered Hollywood. Infamous Tinsel Town journalist-"hatchetman" Joe Queenan presents the interviews and essays that made him persona non grata among Hollywood's stars and movie moguls.
Published April 14th 1999 by Hyperion (first published February 1st 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Talking to Me, Your Career Must Be in Trouble

John
Feb 26, 2015 John rated it really liked it
If you think current Hollywood is at an all time low, this book reminds you that multiplex selections were actually worse 25 years ago. Interesting how harsh Queenan is to Christopher Reeve and River Phoenix, as this predates their tragedies. Some essays are skippable, but the writings on Mickey Rourke, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Hitchcock hold up.
Rebekkila
Jan 18, 2015 Rebekkila rated it liked it
This book was a compilation of columns that the author has written for several publications. The first few were the best. My favorite was the one where he was Mickey Rourke for a day. There were several "Oh Sh*t" moments in the book. This was published in 1994, in the book he often wrote about how terrible Christopher Reeves was as an actor. In one part he said something to the effect that God needs to save us from him, how awful it must have been when a year later he was paralyzed in a horsebac ...more
Leonard Pierce
Sep 14, 2008 Leonard Pierce rated it really liked it
Shelves: film
The best distillation of Queenan's mean-spirited film writing. Includes his classic attempt to live 24 hours in the life of Mickey Rourke, his attempt to prove that movie tricks are stupid and don't work in real life, and some surprisingly insightful essays on Alfred Hitchcock and Woody Allen.
Gary Brim
Since this is a collection of articles written 20-25 years ago, its a bit dated. Plus, numerous articles by one humorous critic on one subject is a lot to digest in a short period of time.

My observation having finished this book is--anyone who thinks the movie industry is tacky now can read this book to find out it was about as bad two decades ago.

Barbara
I heart him deeply. And I'm counting it as part of the great book res of 2011 even though I probably would've read him anyway.
He crystallizes a lot of my thoughts for me. And makes me want to watch movies even more. And I'm saddened how timely it all still is. Alas. I read and re-read parts of this book.
Jrobertus
Jul 19, 2007 Jrobertus rated it really liked it
a series of movie articles and interviews from rolling stone. extremely funny with lots of info about movies i really enjoyed this book, but more on queenan later.
Horza
May 15, 2013 Horza added it
Droll reviews of terrible crap from a bizarre and long-lost time when film was the dominant cultural medium (the 1980s).
Jim
Aug 21, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
Read it before and laughed all the way through again. Even when you disagree with him, he is pretty hilarious.
Muriel
May 11, 2008 Muriel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A true gut-buster... had me laughing so hard that tears were rolling down my eyes.
Jim
Oct 08, 2007 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Extrememly sarcastic, yet funny, critical account of movies adn actors.
Ryan
Sep 14, 2009 Ryan rated it liked it
Great writing, but rather dated now.
Mikael
Jan 26, 2008 Mikael rated it liked it
if im reading this i must hv no life
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Graham Senders
Graham Senders rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Angela Mcentee
Angela Mcentee rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Diego Garcia
Diego Garcia rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
John Cashin
John Cashin rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Stuart Rosen
Stuart Rosen rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ernest Hilbert
Ernest Hilbert rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
B
B rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Simonsspams
Simonsspams rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Rock
Rock added it
Jan 17, 2016
  • I'm Back for More Cash: A Tony Kornheiser Collection (Because You Can't Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom)
  • Hannah and Her Sisters
  • All the Presidents' Pets: The Story of One Reporter Who Refused to Roll Over
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated - All the Bits
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • Joe Bob Goes To the Drive-In
  • Life Force
  • The Penguin Book of Twentieth-Century Speeches
  • Bad Trips
  • The Future of the Past
Joe Queenan is a humorist, critic and author from Philadelphia who graduated from Saint Joseph's University. He has written for numerous publications, such as Spy Magazine, TV Guide, Movieline, The Guardian and the New York Times Book Review. He has written eight books, including Balsamic Dreams, a scathing critique of the Baby Boomers, Red Lobster, White Trash, and the Blue Lagoon, a tour of low- ...more
More about Joe Queenan...