Start by marking “Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Volume 2 - Rhino & Mysterio” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Volume 2 - Rhino & Mysterio

Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Volume 2 - Rhino & Mysterio (The Amazing Spider-Man #30)

The Gauntlet continues to close around Spider-Man in this heartbreaking story of love, loss and lust for power as the Rhino charges into Spider-Man's life, out to make a name for killing the Rhino? AND, Mysterio is back from the dead...and he's not alone! When deceased members of the Maggia crime family return from beyond the grave, the balance of power shifts ...more
Published November 24th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Man

Jul 14, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This trade features, the Rhino and Mysterio as the main villains. We get a new Rhino who comes looking for the old Rhino to prove himself, but the old one isn't interested in it at all, so Spider-Man has to stand in for him. We also get the origin of the old Rhino, as well as the origin of the reformed Rhino.

Then we get the origin of Mysterio, Mysterio's current scheme is to steal all the mob money by engineering a big showdown between Mr Negative and the not really dead mob leaders whose many
Sean Gibson
Apr 25, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is particularly worth reading for the Rhino part of the tale...normally, I think of Joe Kelly as a guy who'll make me laugh, but every once in a while, he goes in a different direction with great success (see, for example, I Kill Giants). Here, he tugs at the heartstrings with a tale of redemption for a guy who knows he doesn't deserve it and can't get it, but gives it a shot anyway. I might have gotten a little dust in my eyes reading this one. First (and perhaps only) time I've ever cared ...more
Oct 05, 2016 Μιχάλης rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μεχρι και αυτον τον τομο, πιστευα οτι η τελευταια καλη ιστορια του Spiderman ηταν το Kraven's Last Hunt.
Εδω ο Joe Kelly (ο ανθρωπος που μας εδωσε τον Deadpool που ολοι ξερουμε) γραφει μια ιστορια με τον Rhino και δινει ρεστα.
Ο υπολοιπος τομος ειναι τετραστερο, ωραια πλοκη με τον Mysterio να επιστρεφει σε μια ιστορια με πολλες ανατροπες που θυμιζει συγχρονη Marvel και ταυτοχρονα κουβαλαει την ενεργεια των παλιων Spiderman που προσπαθει να πιασει το reboot του Brand New Day.
I've been reading Spider-Man off and on since I discovered the character on the Electric Company. It's a lot easier (and more affordable) these days to just keep up with the character by checking these collections of various story arcs out of the library.

But as with classic "Doctor Who" serials I have to consistently remind myself that these stories weren't meant to be read in one big gulp, but instead were meant to be read with a bit of time to allow the stories to breath in between.

The curren
Aug 04, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, spider-man
I really enjoyed this second arc of the larger Gauntlet storyline (which itself still seems to be going no-where, referred to a number of times throughout this collection as 'seemingly unrelated incidents').

The Rhino story is a nice touch, watching Aleksi trying to move on in a new crime-free life. After Sandman's relapse last collection I really hope they let him move on (and the new tech-based Rhino seems pretty menacing). Pete's way of handling it also makes up for his 'punch first, question
Jan 25, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade collects Amazing Spider-Man issues # 617-621 and material from Web of Spider-Man #3 and 4.

So far The Gauntlet has been a very weird "event." The connectivity of Spider-Man's encounters is entirely behind the scenes. With both Spider-Man and the villains he's facing unaware of the manipulative forces at work the stories really don't feel like they form a cohesive whole.

On the other hand, the stories themselves have been very good. This trade features two of my favorites. We get a surpr
Sep 19, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok
I was really pumped up after volume one of this series. And I very much enjoyed the story of the Rhino that started this book. I found that it was consistent with the tone and themes that I enjoyed from the previous. However, the Mysterio story line fell flat for me.
I very much enjoy seeing the Rhino as a villain who has turned his life around and struggling with internal conflicts as his old life comes crashing into his new one.
I have yet to see a characterization of Mysterio that I like. If a
Apr 29, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rhino story is definitely worth reading - slightly tragic, mostly compelling, definitely not the usual 60's villain. I really feel for the guy, want to see him rise above his station and his history. Fiumara's art is cartoonish but also expressive and entertaining. Kelly continues to write well with a twist of sly humour I love, but here he treats the Rhino with respect we don't usually see.

The Mysterio story is pretty awesome - hard to track who's working with whom, at a pace of plotting I'
Arthur Cravan
Jun 20, 2014 Arthur Cravan rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
3.5. It was hard to decide whether to mark down or up, but overall, saying this was one star behind absolutely amazing seemed a bit far-fetched. I found both the Rhino story (except for the intro) & Mysterio story pretty captivating. In fact, it loses points for being too captivating & then leaving incredible loose ends - the Robo-Rhino, Aunt May's dark side - though I know this is vol. 2 & there's probably a vol. 3, & even if there's not, the actual arcs would have been continue ...more
Oct 04, 2014 Marko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the first part of the Gauntlet series, this one offers a great story of the Rhino and his attempt to leave his old life behind and commit to his loved one. The second story is of Mysterio and it is definitely a bit more "acquired taste" - I liked it, but the constant illusions may not be as enjoyable to all. Some of the illusions are a bit gimmicky, offering old and deceased characters soft of comebacks to the Spidey universe.

The art style is much improved from the previous work
May 15, 2016 Geonessary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is back and forth on this one, but the writing was better than the previous. A good Sandman story. Mysterio, meh, not great. But the Mr. Negative wasn't too shabby. Overall better than the previous and I'm hopeful that rest of the Gauntlet will continue to improve. So far it's disappointing, but maybe the end will tie it together nicely. After all, there's gotta be some sort of plan... Right?...
Talk Comix
Like most i agree the first few issues of the rhino were good leaving you feeling sorry for him trying to reform. The rest was poor ar best. I wanted to give it 2 star but i felt sorry for what was a pretty strong rhino story. Forced my way through tge dribble which was the rest. I'm surprised these issues didn't cause people to drop the title at the time. Maybe they did?!?! Either way you could probably leave this book unless you are a completionist.
Matt Anderson
Collects Amazing Spider-Man issues #617-621, and the origin stories of Rhino and Mysterio found in Web of Spider-Man issues #3-4

This wasn't the best Spider-Man book that I've ever read. It was just so-so, with some enjoyable parts.

Parts of the Rhino story will be important in future Spider-Man stories years down the road, and Mysterio was nice to see because he is just a fun character.

With these two premier villains, if only the story was better.

Final rating = 2.5 stars
Shannon Appelcline
The Rhino origin that kicks things off is shallow but funny [7/10]. The Rhino story and follow-up are both quite good, thanks to their focus on the character of the Rhino and his interaction with Peter [8/10]. The Mysterio origin has a neat twist, but isn't particularly notable otherwise [5/10]. The Mysterio story proper starts off slow and is a little convoluted, but still fun [7/10]. And the story with Black Cat offers a nice coda to everything [7/10].
Aug 20, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved all of the Rhino stories contained within. Just like the rest of "The Gauntlet" they took a character that has been a punching bag or even a joke and made them real. Adding depth and a humanity that is often left out of the B-level rogues.

The Mysterio story was not quite as good but still a solid story that really fit the character well.

Overall this is a good collection.
Jan 22, 2014 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the Rhino story arc. The author did a very good job of making me (as the reader) sympathize with the reformed Rhino. Whatever he does I want him to prevail against Rhino 2.No as Peter called him. The Mysterio arc really shows his ability as a master special effects artist. I really enjoyed the little twists the story brings the reader on.
Eric Mikols
Jul 05, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok
Shelves: spider-man
Sometimes this book hits just right, other times it can't find it's footing. I tend to find the more violent the story, the less like Spider-Man it feels. The Rhino stuff was okay, but the rest of the book is dull.
James DeSantis
I'd give it a two and a half, just for rhino. His storyline was interesting and fun. the second half of this? trash. Struggling to read comics based on my favorite superhero makes me one sad ass panda. =(
Salman Mehedy Titas
The artwork was horrible, to start with, but the covers were extraordinary. Rhino had a good story, Mysterio's story could have been more dramatic. Spider-Man sees the plot too early, so the madness Mysterio had planned could not proceed.
Joe Young
Joe Kelly - Author

3.5/5 stars

Not bad, I especially like the story featuring the Rhino and his attempts to walk the straight & narrow. This volume works okay as a standalone, but like most people I found "The Gauntlet" storyline to be pretty weak. Not recommended.
May 18, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Five stars for the Rhino issues, which were like the best issues of the gone but not forgotten and stupendous Tangled Web. Two stars for the awful Mysterio/ mob arc. No matter what incarnation of silvermane is being pedaled, it's one I don't want to see.
Paul Hasbrouck
I give this 3 stars, because that the most of the volume is a very good Mysterio story. Now for the years of reading Spider-man, Mysterio has been the boring villain, destiny to fail over and over again, with none of the epic battles that come from other villains.
Matt Chic
Sep 25, 2010 Matt Chic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE GAUNTLET arcs have been great. Some of the better stuff since BND started. Classic Spidey villains and awesome art.
Iker Cano
Genial la parte de la Maggia/Mysterio. Slott y Marcos Martin hacen un tandem estupendo. Montón de recuerdos del pasado.
Jan 21, 2016 Christian rated it really liked it
I didn't realize that this was volume 2 of a multi-book series until about halfway through. I still really enjoyed it though and am looking forward to reading the entire series.
More like a 2.5 stars. The Rhino story was top-notch, but the Mysterio story was convoluted and weird to the point I was glad when the graphic novel was finally over.
Geralt9999 rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
John rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Valtteri Viitala
Valtteri Viitala rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Roman Sanchez
Roman Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
  • Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 13: Siege
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 8: Seven The Hard Way
  • Avenging Spider-Man: The Good, the Green and the Ugly
  • Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff (Spectacular Spider Man) (Marvel Comics)

The Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Coming Home