Start by marking “Revolutionary Parenting: Raising Your Kids to Become Spiritual Champions” as Want to Read:
Revolutionary Parenting: Raising Your Kids to Become Spiritual Champions

Revolutionary Parenting: Raising Your Kids to Become Spiritual Champions

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
How can parents make a lasting impact in the spiritual lives of their children? To find the answer, acclaimed researcher George Barna investigated the lives of thriving adult Christians and discovered the essential steps their parents took to shape their spiritual lives in childhood. He also learned surprising truths about which popular parenting tactics just aren’t workin ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Revolutionary Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Parenting

Josh-danielle Venable
This is a good book with a lot of great insight on parenting and raising children who want to serve God. If you're looking for a James Dobson, advice style book, I'm not sure that this one is for you though.

The book is written from a research perspective. It is written by George Barna after all, so that only makes sense. The basic idea of the book is that Barna interviewed parents and that were considered (assumedly by his research team) to have been successful in the raising of their children
Andrew
Mar 28, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Barna, a trusted researcher in the domain of faith and culture, conducted a national study of people whom he classified them as Spiritual Champions (the most dedicated subset of Christians) or not, and then he interviewed the adult child and the parents. Comparing Spiritual Champions to others, he found the differences in the way that they were raised that correlated to a person becoming a Spiritual Champion.

I liked that the topic was practical to my questions as a parent raising three ch
Keren A.
Dec 27, 2011 Keren A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reading
Those familiar with the name George Barna will know that he is renowned within Christian circles for founding The Barna Group, a research group that focuses primarily on studying, surveying, and researching statistics within the American Christian subculture. In keeping with this, Barna’s book focuses on the researching the crucial aspects of parenting that correlate with what he calls “spiritual champions.”
Barna begins by stating that in the mass of parenting books available, he really does bel
Jen
Jan 29, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, library
Excellent read! Barna doesn't mince words. He says it how it is and doesn't have a lot of fluffy wasted space in this book. I suppose the premises of this book is what I am always on a quest to find...what did successful parents do while raising their children? Barna actually researched this topic - and I like research! He sought out parents who raised spiritual champions. Now I am learning (slowly) that children cannot be pigeon holed. They are all unique and will need to be parented in differe ...more
Patrick
Apr 05, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it
This book is unique in approach, but not in content. It is based on Barna's research into successful parenting, which is what makes it unique. The conclusions he draws, however, are not much different than can be found in many other books. It makes a great introductory book on parenting, but is not particularly insightful for those who have already read and thought about it a great deal besides confirming conclusions one has already drawn.
barbara hinderer
Sep 09, 2013 barbara hinderer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is very different than any other parenting book on the market, it had a lot of valuable information for raising your child(ren) in faith. The majority of this book is research based. It is not a how-to book; instead it is a look at actual parents and their mindset while trying to raise kids in a godly manner. The basis of the research and information provided is about the way you think, act and approach conflict in terms of parenting. Though most of the book was geared towards th ...more
Kim
Jan 22, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Not really a "I did this now you should do this" type of book. It's based on surveys and interviews of parents who raised children to become spiritual warriors and adults who grew up to become spiritual warriors. This is a book on what worked to help these children to become warriors for Christ. For instance, very few children from single-parent homes become spiritual warriors. Statistically these children come from two-parent households who view their reponsibility to raise childre ...more
Troy
May 14, 2014 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I not only enjoyed the read, but I greatly appreciated this book. As a youth/family minister, I found the great amount of research very beneficial in helping shape the way I minister to families.
Alison
Nov 20, 2009 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This parenting book takes a different approach. Rather than merely espousing a philosophy or promoting a technique, the author and his team of researchers have quantified what is a good result of the task of parenting. In their estimation, optimum parenting results in nothing less than a "spiritual champion." A spiritual champion is a person who is more than religious and who goes beyond activity in their church. Their spiritual life is vibrant and they impact their communities in meaningful way ...more
Scott Wozniak
It was all good ideas. And nothing I hadn't heard or read before.
Devon Schlegelmilch
Yes. It gave some great points to think through in parenting.
Cary Sawatsky
Jul 28, 2011 Cary Sawatsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and the Bible are the two most important books on parenting ever written (IMHO). I will dedicate much of my life's energy in trying to get as many people as possible to read and apply the teachings of "Revolutionary Parenting". The only thing negative that I have to say about the book is that it does not include the statistical data that the book is written upon. It is also the kind of book that the average parent will need to have explained to them in smaller bites to really make sens ...more
Sharon Cartwright
Sep 22, 2009 Sharon Cartwright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. Barna identified what he called "spiritual champions," young adults who were spiritually solid and active in their local churches and communities and worked backwards to identify what their parents did right.

They emphasized the importance of having a plan with goals. It helpfed me to take a step back and see my role as a parent from the big picture perspective. The suggestions were solid, biblical and made sense to me.
Marianna
Aug 16, 2007 Marianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every parent
This book was an unexpected gift from my aunt and uncle. I was excited to read it and challenged more than I could have imagined. The Lord expects a lot of me as a parent, and I pray that I see Him as I try to do just that. My goal is for my children to become spiritual champions as the book describes them. A must read! No parenting book measures up to this because this gets down to our purpose as parents as God sees it!
Karen
Sep 11, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book on parenting I've read yet. Doesn't tell you how to do it, but encourages you through the statistics of hundreds of Christian parents whose kids are pursuing adulthood as passionate followers of Jesus. It affirmed things I'm doing, and fired me up to start some things I'm not. Definately finished the book thinking "Stand firm" and "Press On."
Tony
Jun 04, 2013 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I liked seeing data driven parenting techniques that are practical and had impact. Many of the practices we are already implementing (treat children with respect, intentional quality time, focus on character not accomplishments). I'd recommend this book to any parent. Easy read.
Legacy Dad
This book should be required reading (along with the Bible) on how to successfully raise Christian children. It is a moderate view of Christian living that sometimes disproves many “beliefs” about raising spiritual champions.
Corey Grabar
Feb 09, 2008 Corey Grabar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've respected Barna for a number of years and I am thrilled he's come out with such a fascinating and definitive book on parenting. Very good and helpful read. It has confirmed so much of our parenting understandings.
Samuel
Aug 09, 2009 Samuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: parenting
A great look at parenting and how to get strategic in terms of raising kids with a Godly perspective on the world around them. Great ideas and questions to get you thinking about what you're doing with your kids.
Clare Graaf
Jan 15, 2013 Clare Graaf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very helpful for parents who want to be intentional influencers of their children. Barna doesn't beat you up. He gives solid evidence for why some kids embrace Christ while other walk away.
Paul
Feb 22, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A great book that uses research on parents and adult children who are serving the Lord well to identify principles and strategies for parent's to raise healthy, God-loving and God-fearing children.
Jeff
Dec 16, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Gives an overview of where we are at and what parents should implement into their family's life. Definitely recommend for parents to read. It is a short and easy read for them.
Chris
Dec 14, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Good encouragement for those who are trying to parent with a plan. I felt very affirmed. The choices we're making seem to be in line with those he says are prevailing.
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book based on research by the Barna group who has also done research for Ford, Disney, and Focus on the Family. Changed my view on my role as a parent.
Lisa
May 23, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That parenting needs to look at one goal raising children with a great relationship with God all else as my son would say doesnt matter.
Kenny Conley
Jan 27, 2010 Kenny Conley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Incredible book. Causing me to rethink the way I parent (giving me a template to some degree) and how I encourage others to parent.
Joe
Jan 12, 2009 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book proves to be very down to earth on what is important and what it takes to raise children in Christian home.
Liisa
Oct 11, 2010 Liisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this with a church parenting class. It's exciting and teaches how to raise your kids as "spiritual champions".
Rob and Lisa
Oct 16, 2008 Rob and Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on parenting. Best I have read. Unbelievably challenging as well. I have a lot of work to do!
Danielle
Jul 29, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a VERY fast read for me and I devoured it all! Such a wonderful reference on parenting!
  • Raising A Modern Day Princess
  • Hide or Seek
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • She Calls Me Daddy: Seven Things Every Man Needs to Know About Building a Complete Daughter
  • Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids
  • Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
32052
George Barna was raised and educated on the East Coast before moving to California in the early 1980s. He held executive positions in advertising, public policy, political campaigns, and media/marketing research before beginning his own company, the Barna Research Group (now The Barna Group), in 1984. The firm analyzes American culture and creates resources and experiences designed to facilitate m ...more
More about George Barna...