Start by marking “Blue-Eyed Devil” as Want to Read:
Blue-Eyed Devil

Blue-Eyed Devil

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Michael Muhammad Knight embarks on a quest for an indigenous American Islam in a series of interstate odysseys. Traveling 20,000 miles by Greyhound in sixty days, he squats in run-down mosques, pursues Muslim romance, is detained at the U.S.-Canadian border with a trunkload of Shia literature, crashes Islamic Society of North America conventions, stink-palms Cat Stevens, a ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Soft Skull Press (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Blue-Eyed Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue-Eyed Devil

Ellis Amdur
Jan 14, 2015 Ellis Amdur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M.M.K. is a punk Sufi Muslim, at least at last reading, traveling through America by Greyhound Bus, searching down the history and grave of W.D. Fard, the mysterious founder of the Nation of Islam, "building" with the 5% group, distressing the progressives and raging at the rigid conservatives, all the while putting the moves on young ladies in Hijab. A former backyard "pro-wrestler," son of a schizophrenic rapist Nazi, he found Islam as a teen providing something sure and solid, but soon reject ...more
patrick
Jul 07, 2008 patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A retired professor friend lent me this one - definitely an alternative book on Islam in America. This was a really fun read, I am planning on picking up more of Michael Knight's work in the near future.
Leah
Jan 04, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, Taquacores is kind of really bad and I regret telling my friend to read it. This, though? This is awesome. Funny, honest, tragic, risky, well-written, thoughtful, funny as fuck.
Vika Gardner
Mar 20, 2010 Vika Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for everyone. It is Michael Muhammad Knight's narrative of his travels around the US (on a Greyhound pass), visiting a variety of Muslim communities (and his friends) around the country.

Knight doesn't pull any punches; he's a little at odds with Islam and one might readily understand this book as a conversation he's having with himself that he has allowed you to overhear. His interest in a variety of small American Muslim communities, like the 5 Percenters, the Moorish Science T
Matthew Moes
What happens to a dream deferred? I think maybe Michael Knight's "Road Odyssey through Islamic America" offers a glimpse... at least one vision. This book is obnoxious, offensive and worse, and yet, in spite of it all some readers will still identify while others will just be stupefied. Despite his irreverent attitude toward everything and everyone that most American Muslims hold sacred, this book might be one of the most important things I have read about so-called American Islam. If nothing el ...more
Jesse
Aug 05, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He has little discipline as a writer, but Knight goes anywhere with a latter-day Beat irreverence and a punk irreverence (combined, oddly, with some real reverence for things like Five Percenter doctrine that I find, well, nutty). There's a great 100-page section from about pages 50-140 where he goes looking for the identity of Wallace Fard, the founder of the Nation of Islam, and turns up enough secret histories to fill several Charles Portis novels. (I have a line like that in my Chron review, ...more
Tyler Anderson
Nov 10, 2009 Tyler Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not certain what I'm finding more intolerable about this book, the incessant "term-dropping" or the constant references to the author's supposedly oh-so-punk-rock attitude and disrespect for everyone and everything. Reminds me why leeching Crust and Hippies are simply not welcome anywhere in my personal world.

Additionally, I find that his quest for an American Islam is backlit by his own indeed narrow American view of Islam to begin with. The Islam he chose as a young convert was only one c
Andrew Ceyton
Jan 05, 2014 Andrew Ceyton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this guy. In some of his books, "Why I Am a Five Percenter", he is a serious scholar of Islam, both mainstream and fringe, while in others like this he personifies Modern Beat. As someone who practices a fringe non christian religion & in fact studied Five Percent, he's right on my wavelength.
John
Oct 07, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, library_books
I read this one after his Journey to the End of Islam, and am glad I did so - the other seemed much more "approachable" to me, with this one filling in gaps in the story of Master Fard and the Five Percenters (an obsession of Knight's). These books can be difficult to follow at times, as he uses many Islamic terms (a glossary in the back of this book helps a bit), but he's obvious a bright guy with a lot to say; moreover, his sense of humor does come through amid all the religious talk.
Ronald
Sep 10, 2011 Ronald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly captivating, informative, radical read by Michael Knight! As he found his Islamic America by visiting all those areas where the American Muslim movement had major impact. Chicago, Detroit, parts of Cal. and Wash., all contained spots of import to those early leaders in the spread of Islam in the USA! Being a neophyte in the genre', I was fascinated by this wonderful book!
Yasmin
Sep 28, 2012 Yasmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me off-course of my intention of reading all of Knight's books. He devoted a lot of time to the mystery of W.D. Fard to the exclusion of other strains of American Islam, and there were things that he didn't explain that I wish he had. I finished it, some parts were better than others, and I will read other books by him, but maybe not all of them.
Zack
Jul 11, 2009 Zack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catch my review here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...

and my INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR here: http://www.dscriber.com/home/200-talk...
Michelle
Jul 17, 2011 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
If you would like an odyssey through Islamic America, check out the Encyclopedia of Muslim-American History. If you would like an odyssey through Mike Knight's love life and bodily functions, check out this book. Your call.
Martin
Nov 05, 2009 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While shockingly irreverent at times, Knight explores and reports on little-known aspects of Muslim life and history in America. His fresh and raw voice carries you through each station of his cross-country journey.
Bob
Mar 18, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book chronicling MMK's sufi/Islamic hajj/yantra to uncover the myriad faces of indigenous American Islamic culture. Crass, rough, poignant, punk, personal, inspirational.
Rob
Jan 03, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting, though when he discusses personal details, I'm left hoping for it to get even more personal (as if that were possible).
Terri
Apr 17, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veramente un bell'intreccio. Fa venire voglia di scrivre, fotocopiare il libro e promuovberlo per il mondo camminando con una borsa sulle spalle.
Theodora
Dec 13, 2008 Theodora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books08, islam
loved this book...especially what he wrote about Ashura and pain. Beautiful. a lot of MPU and Nation of Islam history in here, too.

Hena
Jan 05, 2010 Hena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people
Want to know who W.D. Fard was? Who the 'Progressive Muslims' are, or were? Then you might want to check this out.
Shazia
Jan 02, 2008 Shazia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amanda R
So much interesting stuff if you can get over initial disgust of author.
Janie
Oct 29, 2013 Janie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
this is some crazy stuff
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Muhammad Shemyal Nisar
Muhammad Shemyal Nisar marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Sonic Nurse
Sonic Nurse rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
PB
PB marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ahmed
Ahmed rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism
  • The Politics of the Veil
  • The Muslim next door: The Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing
  • My Year Inside Radical Islam: A Memoir
  • Early Islamic Mysticism: Sufi, Qur'an, Mi'raj, Poetic and Theological Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The American Religion
  • Ziarah Abadi - Javid Nama
  • Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World
  • Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages to the Present
  • Holy Terrors: Thinking About Religion After September 11
  • Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam
  • The End of White World Supremacy: Four Speeches By Malcolm X
  • The Muslim Jesus: Sayings and Stories in Islamic Literature
  • Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims
  • The Lonely Man of Faith
  • The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity
  • The Islamist Phoenix: The Islamic State (ISIS) and the Redrawing of the Middle East
Michael Muhammad Knight (born 1977) is an American novelist, essayist, and journalist. His writings are popular among American Muslim youth. The San Francisco Chronicle described him as "one of the most necessary and, paradoxically enough, hopeful writers of Barack Obama's America," while The Guardian has described him as "the Hunter S. Thompson of Islamic literature," and his non-fiction work exe ...more
More about Michael Muhammad Knight...