P. Bear's New Year's Party: A Counting Book

P. Bear's New Year's Party: A Counting Book

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A dapper polar bear has an elegant New Year's party and invites all of his animal friends—one whale, two horses, three cows, and so forth until midnight. As each party animal arrives, children learn to count . . . AND tell time. Teachers rate this as one of the best counting books available.
Published January 1st 1999 by Tricycle Press (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about P. Bear's New Year's Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P. Bear's New Year's Party

Dolly
Dec 27, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2012, childrens, math
Counting and time with black and white animals. The board book format and interesting animals will entertain the youngsters and the stark black and white format will appeal to the adult's sense of sophistication and whimsy.

I can't read books like this with our girls anymore, so I sneak to the library to get my fix. (Yes, I admit it, I'm a picture-book junkie!) I still love the visual appeal of fun board books like this one. This is a good book to read for New Year's - there doesn't seem to be m...more
Jeannie
Another Paul Owen Lewis purchase! :) Darling way to introduce or supplement the concept of time and the New Year, as well as counting! Mr Lewis visited our elementary school on Thursday, and I subbed a 1st grade class on Friday. The children were still very excited about his visit, and many used their writing time to continue an alliteration book he started with them "P.Bear's Birthday Party All Year!" I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a publication of it. :)
Patricia
We've been on a Paul Owen Lewis kick this summer and even though my two children, ages 11 and 14, are too old for this children's counting board book, we were delighted by the minimalist black and white and red drawings (reminiscent of the Olivia books), the use of the clock, and the imaginative way of counting animals at a party.

This would be an excellent gift for a baby or very young child!
Tricia
Apr 16, 2012 Tricia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
I ended up looking for a lot of books on telling time because one of the classes I worked with while interning seemed to have a lot of trouble with it. This book would be wonderful for teaching time. The main character is a polar bear, and he's having a New Year's Party. He invites all of his friends, and they all arrive at different times up until midnight. Perfect for K-2!
Lifelonglearner
Great for an integrated math lesson and celebrations UOI (time connections as well as simple counting)
Christy
Polar Bear has a New Year's Party with One whale coming at 1, two horses coming at 2, etc. Tells time also--they come on the hour.
Shelly Lindsey
This book is excellent to introduce the concept of time and the New Year.
Olson Family Matters
Cute time/counting book. Might try again next year.
Anneil Edwards
Anneil Edwards marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Cassandra Burkhalter
Cassandra Burkhalter marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Tatannia Alexis
Tatannia Alexis marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2013
Kendra
Kendra added it
Nov 20, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Storm Boy Frog Girl The Jupiter Stone Davy's Dream: A Young Boy's Adventure with Wild Orca Whales Grasper: A Young Crab's Discovery