Start by marking “P. Bear's New Year's Party: A Counting Book” as Want to Read:
P. Bear's New Year's Party: A Counting Book

P. Bear's New Year's Party: A Counting Book

A dapper polar bear has an elegant New Year's party and invites all of his animal friends—one whale, two horses, three cows, and so forth until midnight. As each party animal arrives, children learn to count . . . AND tell time. Teachers rate this as one of the best counting books available.
Published January 1st 1999 by Tricycle Press (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about P. Bear's New Year's Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about P. Bear's New Year's Party

Dolly
Dec 26, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: childrens, math, 2012
Counting and time with black and white animals. The board book format and interesting animals will entertain the youngsters and the stark black and white format will appeal to the adult's sense of sophistication and whimsy.

I can't read books like this with our girls anymore, so I sneak to the library to get my fix. (Yes, I admit it, I'm a picture-book junkie!) I still love the visual appeal of fun board books like this one. This is a good book to read for New Year's - there doesn't seem to be m
Juliana Lee
Jan 07, 2015 Juliana Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a beautiful black and white counting book. P. Bear sends out invitations to all his best dressed friends. They begin arriving one hour at a time beginning with a whale at one o'clock, a couple of horses at two o'clock, and a few dairy cows at three o'clock. Each hour brings more and more friends until at last a dozen penguins arrive at twelve o'clock and the party begins.

Jeannie
Jun 06, 2009 Jeannie rated it really liked it
Another Paul Owen Lewis purchase! :) Darling way to introduce or supplement the concept of time and the New Year, as well as counting! Mr Lewis visited our elementary school on Thursday, and I subbed a 1st grade class on Friday. The children were still very excited about his visit, and many used their writing time to continue an alliteration book he started with them "P.Bear's Birthday Party All Year!" I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a publication of it. :)
Tricia
Apr 16, 2012 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
I ended up looking for a lot of books on telling time because one of the classes I worked with while interning seemed to have a lot of trouble with it. This book would be wonderful for teaching time. The main character is a polar bear, and he's having a New Year's Party. He invites all of his friends, and they all arrive at different times up until midnight. Perfect for K-2!
Patricia
Aug 07, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
We've been on a Paul Owen Lewis kick this summer and even though my two children, ages 11 and 14, are too old for this children's counting board book, we were delighted by the minimalist black and white and red drawings (reminiscent of the Olivia books), the use of the clock, and the imaginative way of counting animals at a party.

This would be an excellent gift for a baby or very young child!
Olson Family Matters
Jan 17, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-k-new-year
Cute time/counting book. Might try again next year.
Lifelonglearner
Jan 06, 2014 Lifelonglearner rated it it was amazing
Great for an integrated math lesson and celebrations UOI (time connections as well as simple counting)
Melki
A succession of black & white animals arrive for P. Bear's awesome party.

It would have been funnier if all the other guests had fled out the backdoor as soon as the skunks arrived.
Shelly Lindsey
Sep 07, 2011 Shelly Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: math-lessons, holiday
This book is excellent to introduce the concept of time and the New Year.
Christy
Feb 16, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
Polar Bear has a New Year's Party with One whale coming at 1, two horses coming at 2, etc. Tells time also--they come on the hour.
Stacia
Stacia rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Steve Hammes
Steve Hammes rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Cian
Cian rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Jennifer Embree
Jennifer Embree rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Karen Guidry
Karen Guidry rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Darumaka
Darumaka rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Reeve Armstrong
Reeve Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2010
SamZ
SamZ rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Omar
Omar rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2009
Amy Goldstein
Amy Goldstein rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Rosemary Cortez
Rosemary Cortez rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2014
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Harrison Ouellette
Harrison Ouellette rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Miranda
Miranda rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015