Start by marking “The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  714 ratings  ·  64 reviews
What do you get when you mix together--
werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, alternate dimensions, tiny people, Transylvania, ancient curses, giant frogs, evil clones, ghosts, lawyers, shape-changers, fallen angels, journeys through hell, zombie warriors, body snatchers, and two clever kids in whose hands rests the fate of Earth?
--The craziest adventure-
Published September 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Monsters of Morley Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monsters of Morley Manor

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanFledgling by Mark A. Cooper
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
124th out of 936 books — 1,873 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
117th out of 365 books — 296 voters

More lists with this book...

Collin
"The Monsters of Morley Manor", by Bruce Coville is an interesting book. I chose this book because of the fact we ran out of time in the library and i needed to choose a book. This story is about a boy, Anthony and his sister Sarah regular kids who happen to go to a yard sale. The boy stumbles across a small box and decides to buy it. When he gets home he realizes the box is very hard to open. When he finally gets it open he finds toys inside, which when he later gets water on one they come to l ...more
Dana
I loved this book! (insert happy jumping smiley faces here)
It is a fun, fast paced adventure in which Anthony and his sister Sarah, after animating some monster figurines that they bought at a garage sale, who are really humans who had changed their bodies on another planet and were then changed into tiny figurines 50 years ago, visit other planets and the realm of the dead and save the earth from aliens who want to take it over. What more could you ask for? It is totally fun and a great read.
I
Kressel Housman
My kids would surely rate this a 5, and the only reason I don't is that it's just not on the level of Harry Potter, even though it is an action-packed juvie fantasy that deals with death and the afterlife. But even though it's not Harry Potter, it's still really good, with all kinds of unpredictable fantasy elements. Interestingly, it's sort of a mixed genre in that it has fantasy/ghost elements and science fiction/alien elements. I didn't like that at first, but the author pulled it off credita ...more
Alxandra
Hannah Givens
The Monsters of Morley Manor is a little bit outside Coville's usual material. It starts off ghosty-horror when five monsters are brought to life, then progresses through fantasy, complete with magic rock and wizard guys, to sci-fi with world-hopping and aliens, then back to ghosty-horror. Needless to say, it's awesome.

The protagonists are Anthony Walker and his younger sister Sarah. Anthony is about ten-ish and Sarah is a few years younger, but unlike many authors Coville resists the urge to ov
Michael
Yet another that I edited, this was a considerable rewrite and expansion of five stories Bruce wrote by-the-seat-of-his-pants as a serial novel for his Bruce Coville's Book of [fill-in-the-blank:] series of anthologies. So much fun, and one that was especially fun to write jacket copy for, because it is a kitchen sink novel (a la Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates). So simply listing the elements in the right way makes for the perfect tease for the book.

Fun!
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
When I was ten, I really liked this book. It's one of those stories that you simply can't put down. The plot is very exciting, and sometimes funny. This is one of the few good books that Bruce Coville has written.
Awake at Midnight
The story opens at an estate sale in an old mansion slated for demolition. There, Anthony Walker and his sister Sarah find a set of monsters set in a box like chess pieces.

In true Coville form, however, they don’t just pop back to life. In what could be the eeriest scene in the entire book, the arm of the monster Anthony is looking at becomes living flesh and starts moving while the rest of the creature is still frozen in stone. Tension mounts as Anthony and Sarah revive the monsters and discov
Kristin King
Really is a madcap adventure for Anthony Walker with a bunch of twists on monster lore. Includes a "Dr. Who" like character as well--travels through the Starry Door to other worlds. Too scary for younger readers who aren't sure about what is real and what isn't. This production by Full Cast Audio was especially entertaining for listening.
Tamara the Librarian
Very unique story about a brother and sister who end up helping a family of monsters through a series of interstellar adventures to save the Morley family home. I wanted to like it more than I did but it was entertaining. I think students would enjoy it.
Tac
I'm feeling picky this week, another one I couldn't finish. Cool story idea, but didn't love the writing style, even for a kids book it was too trite. And the narration drove me crazy
Susan
Morley Manor is being torn down since the owner died and it has been purchased by someone else. Anthony and his little sister Sarah go to the estate sale, and Anthony buys a wooden box. When he finally gets it open, he finds five little figures, and when he accidentally gets one wet, the figure starts to move and grow. Soon, he has five life-size (or bigger) monsters, but they seem like nice monsters. They ask Anthony to take them back to Morley Manor, and he and Sarah join them on a series of a ...more
Monster
The Monsters of Morley Manor isn't as much of a scary book as an adventure book with monster characters in it. In the book, Anthony and his little sister Sarah buy a box filled with five miniature monster figures, a lizard man, a medusa, a wolfman, a vampiress, and a hunchback. When one of the figures gets wet it starts to come alive and thus begins an adventure involving aliens, giant talking frogs, and ghosts. Coville fits a lot into this book and while it works just fine it seems like it woul ...more
Michelle Robertson
My favorite book. It has everything. It is a must read for kids and adults. Bruce Coville definitely jam packs quite an adventure
Haley  *Good friends are like stars* #LoveWins
Monsters of Morley Manor is about two kids. Anthony and his sister find themselves in the midst of a magical mystery when they go to Morley Manor, an infamous old house in their neighborhood. The previous owner had died and the new owner was holding a garage sale. Anthony buys a wooden box and in it he finds five bronze figurines. That night, he accidentally gets one wet and it comes alive!

This is a great book for 4th-6th graders. It has magic and mystery in it and I really enjoyed it. The char
Katherine
So my younger sister suggested this book to me. I must admit that it has the most awesome First paragraph. You know, one of those that really grabs you and than makes you want to read more. Sadly my excitement knida fizzled when one of the characters declares "thats because I am an alien." Then it was just a little to crazy and far fetched for me after that. There were some great descriptions of worlds and thoughts, but I felt that the writing was really aimed at really young kids (4-6 at most). ...more
Tyler
i think this book was kind of boring cause it really had nothing to do with horror .Also
i thought this book was too easy for me.this book is about five monsters that were turn into stones .the setting was in Morley Manor ,it was the most weird and mysterious place in the town.One day the owner died and the town sold the whole house .But no one wanted to buy it so they they had a sale inside of the house.these two kids sarah and a boy bought this box that had five monsters ,they were staues .and
Rachel Paller
I read this years ago as a kid and loved it!
Reyne
My favorite book it is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!
Allison Mcclain
It's got ALL the things!
Terry
This book is typical Coville. It's got monsters, aliens, ghosts, and a lot of zany characters. I listened to the audio book, and Coville read one of the parts, doing a pretty good job. When the book started, I thought it was going to go in one direction, but then it kept taking turn after turn, until it ended up someplace I never would have guessed it was going to go. It was a fun ride, which would be enjoyed by anyone who likes silly juvenile books. I recommend the full cast audio.
Aaron
Boring. And random. And too juvenile even for me.
Dan Jasnowski
The first book I remember reading way back when I was growing up learning English. This book, written by Bruce Coville, injects all of the formula for the perfect fun-filled family-friendly type of book that I so much enjoyed when I read it the first time.

Sarah and Anthony playing alongside their new monsters really gave new life to the mundane outlook on a bleak life they once led. This book portrays more and will leave you wanting to know more.
Elzbeth
Rosa
I love Bruce Coville and this book had such a fun cover that I decided to give it a shot. Sarah and Anthony bring a box with some monster toys in it only to discover that the monsters are alive and were once human sized. Sarah and Anthony return them to their full size and they realize that the Earth is in danger.

It was a fun story and the variety of characters were really interesting. It's a neat quick read.
Jared Johnson
This book was about a group of monsters that get sent to a mansion and have to live with each other for a while. I feel like the book was interesting at first, but then it started to get boring. I think that the book was a little different from some of the other books I read. If I could talk to the author I would ask what made him create this book. I would recommend this book to young teenagers who like fantasy.
Amy M
Oct 24, 2012 Amy M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys, fans of magic / monsters, 8 years +
I reread this for my Hallowe'en themed reads for October and it was just as fun the second time around. I think it would be a great read for kids (especially boys) that just haven't gotten into reading, and for those that all ready do love reading.

I only hope that Coville decides to make this a series and add some more adventures. The book stands alone just fine, but it does leave some space for spin-offs.
Amy
I wished this book were longer. I could honestly see this being a Dr. Who episode. The plot twists were unforseeable. The foreshadowing was not fortelling. It's a great youth Sci-fi, without any gruesomeness. unless you count

*Spoiler*

a human ghost being implanted into an alien corpse to create a hybrid zombie.
Darriana 10-11
This is one the craziest books I ever read. Here is some of the events going through the starry door, being chased, transformation, being brought to live. I know it is crazy but that is not all two kids have only till morning to go on a quest of a lifetime. You just have to read the book there is no way to sum it up.
Christina
I've always liked Bruce Coville's books! Coville did a really good job writing a book based on werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, and other creatures! I am sure other authors have done this, but Coville geared his story to 3rd through 6th graders! I say that even adults will enjoy this book!
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Haunted Kids: True Ghost Stories
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Story Time
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Dark Waters (The Last Dogs, #2)
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • Starcross (Larklight, #2)
  • The Nobodies
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)