Start by marking “The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure” as Want to Read:
The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

What do you get when you mix together--
werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, alternate dimensions, tiny people, Transylvania, ancient curses, giant frogs, evil clones, ghosts, lawyers, shape-changers, fallen angels, journeys through hell, zombie warriors, body snatchers, and two clever kids in whose hands rests the fate of Earth?
--The craziest adventure-
Published September 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Monsters of Morley Manor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monsters of Morley Manor

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHoles by Louis Sachar
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
131st out of 1,021 books — 1,738 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisConductoid by M.B. LehaneUglies by Scott Westerfeld
Best of YA and Children's Fantasy
188th out of 555 books — 719 voters

More lists with this book...

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
When I was ten, I really liked this book. It's one of those stories that you simply can't put down. The plot is very exciting, and sometimes funny. This is one of the few good books that Bruce Coville has written.
Feb 10, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
Fun to re-read this one for discussion group!
This one has just about everything: aliens, wizards, shape-shifting creatures, ghosts,zombies, romance, lots of laughs with just a touch of spooky.

Jun 02, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
So my younger sister suggested this book to me. I must admit that it has the most awesome First paragraph. You know, one of those that really grabs you and than makes you want to read more. Sadly my excitement knida fizzled when one of the characters declares "thats because I am an alien." Then it was just a little to crazy and far fetched for me after that. There were some great descriptions of worlds and thoughts, but I felt that the writing was really aimed at really young kids (4-6 at most). ...more
Kressel Housman
Dec 18, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it really liked it
My kids would surely rate this a 5, and the only reason I don't is that it's just not on the level of Harry Potter, even though it is an action-packed juvie fantasy that deals with death and the afterlife. But even though it's not Harry Potter, it's still really good, with all kinds of unpredictable fantasy elements. Interestingly, it's sort of a mixed genre in that it has fantasy/ghost elements and science fiction/alien elements. I didn't like that at first, but the author pulled it off credita ...more
Dec 31, 2008 Terry rated it really liked it
This book is typical Coville. It's got monsters, aliens, ghosts, and a lot of zany characters. I listened to the audio book, and Coville read one of the parts, doing a pretty good job. When the book started, I thought it was going to go in one direction, but then it kept taking turn after turn, until it ended up someplace I never would have guessed it was going to go. It was a fun ride, which would be enjoyed by anyone who likes silly juvenile books. I recommend the full cast audio.
Yet another that I edited, this was a considerable rewrite and expansion of five stories Bruce wrote by-the-seat-of-his-pants as a serial novel for his Bruce Coville's Book of [fill-in-the-blank:] series of anthologies. So much fun, and one that was especially fun to write jacket copy for, because it is a kitchen sink novel (a la Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates). So simply listing the elements in the right way makes for the perfect tease for the book.

May 20, 2010 Elzbeth rated it liked it
The Monsters of Morley Manor isn't as much of a scary book as an adventure book with monster characters in it. In the book, Anthony and his little sister Sarah buy a box filled with five miniature monster figures, a lizard man, a medusa, a wolfman, a vampiress, and a hunchback. When one of the figures gets wet it starts to come alive and thus begins an adventure involving aliens, giant talking frogs, and ghosts. Coville fits a lot into this book and while it works just fine it seems like it woul ...more
Darriana 10-11
Dec 26, 2010 Darriana 10-11 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one the craziest books I ever read. Here is some of the events going through the starry door, being chased, transformation, being brought to live. I know it is crazy but that is not all two kids have only till morning to go on a quest of a lifetime. You just have to read the book there is no way to sum it up.
Jared Johnson
Jan 20, 2011 Jared Johnson rated it liked it
This book was about a group of monsters that get sent to a mansion and have to live with each other for a while. I feel like the book was interesting at first, but then it started to get boring. I think that the book was a little different from some of the other books I read. If I could talk to the author I would ask what made him create this book. I would recommend this book to young teenagers who like fantasy.
Apr 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Morley Manor is being torn down since the owner died and it has been purchased by someone else. Anthony and his little sister Sarah go to the estate sale, and Anthony buys a wooden box. When he finally gets it open, he finds five little figures, and when he accidentally gets one wet, the figure starts to move and grow. Soon, he has five life-size (or bigger) monsters, but they seem like nice monsters. They ask Anthony to take them back to Morley Manor, and he and Sarah join them on a series of a ...more
Jun 27, 2011 Dana rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! (insert happy jumping smiley faces here)
It is a fun, fast paced adventure in which Anthony and his sister Sarah, after animating some monster figurines that they bought at a garage sale, who are really humans who had changed their bodies on another planet and were then changed into tiny figurines 50 years ago, visit other planets and the realm of the dead and save the earth from aliens who want to take it over. What more could you ask for? It is totally fun and a great read.
Sep 18, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
I wished this book were longer. I could honestly see this being a Dr. Who episode. The plot twists were unforseeable. The foreshadowing was not fortelling. It's a great youth Sci-fi, without any gruesomeness. unless you count

a human ghost being implanted into an alien corpse to create a hybrid zombie.
Mar 13, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was little, and recently passed it on to my little brother.
He's pretty picky about what he reads, so I was thrilled to hear that he loved it!
My mom said he couldn't put it down and that he really enjoyed the funny parts:)
Amazing read for young kids!!!
I love Bruce Coville and this book had such a fun cover that I decided to give it a shot. Sarah and Anthony bring a box with some monster toys in it only to discover that the monsters are alive and were once human sized. Sarah and Anthony return them to their full size and they realize that the Earth is in danger.

It was a fun story and the variety of characters were really interesting. It's a neat quick read.
Aug 02, 2012 Tyler rated it it was ok
i think this book was kind of boring cause it really had nothing to do with horror .Also
i thought this book was too easy for me.this book is about five monsters that were turn into stones .the setting was in Morley Manor ,it was the most weird and mysterious place in the town.One day the owner died and the town sold the whole house .But no one wanted to buy it so they they had a sale inside of the house.these two kids sarah and a boy bought this box that had five monsters ,they were staues .and
Awake at Midnight
Dec 27, 2013 Awake at Midnight rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-reviews
The story opens at an estate sale in an old mansion slated for demolition. There, Anthony Walker and his sister Sarah find a set of monsters set in a box like chess pieces.

In true Coville form, however, they don’t just pop back to life. In what could be the eeriest scene in the entire book, the arm of the monster Anthony is looking at becomes living flesh and starts moving while the rest of the creature is still frozen in stone. Tension mounts as Anthony and Sarah revive the monsters and discov
Amy M
Oct 24, 2012 Amy M rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys, fans of magic / monsters, 8 years +
I reread this for my Hallowe'en themed reads for October and it was just as fun the second time around. I think it would be a great read for kids (especially boys) that just haven't gotten into reading, and for those that all ready do love reading.

I only hope that Coville decides to make this a series and add some more adventures. The book stands alone just fine, but it does leave some space for spin-offs.
Jul 31, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
I've always liked Bruce Coville's books! Coville did a really good job writing a book based on werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, and other creatures! I am sure other authors have done this, but Coville geared his story to 3rd through 6th graders! I say that even adults will enjoy this book!
Mar 07, 2013 Collin rated it really liked it
"The Monsters of Morley Manor", by Bruce Coville is an interesting book. I chose this book because of the fact we ran out of time in the library and i needed to choose a book. This story is about a boy, Anthony and his sister Sarah regular kids who happen to go to a yard sale. The boy stumbles across a small box and decides to buy it. When he gets home he realizes the box is very hard to open. When he finally gets it open he finds toys inside, which when he later gets water on one they come to l ...more
Aug 26, 2013 (ha)Ley rated it really liked it
Monsters of Morley Manor is about two kids. Anthony and his sister find themselves in the midst of a magical mystery when they go to Morley Manor, an infamous old house in their neighborhood. The previous owner had died and the new owner was holding a garage sale. Anthony buys a wooden box and in it he finds five bronze figurines. That night, he accidentally gets one wet and it comes alive!

This is a great book for 4th-6th graders. It has magic and mystery in it and I really enjoyed it. The char
Dan Jasnowski
Dec 15, 2013 Dan Jasnowski rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
The first book I remember reading way back when I was growing up learning English. This book, written by Bruce Coville, injects all of the formula for the perfect fun-filled family-friendly type of book that I so much enjoyed when I read it the first time.

Sarah and Anthony playing alongside their new monsters really gave new life to the mundane outlook on a bleak life they once led. This book portrays more and will leave you wanting to know more.
Hannah Givens
Dec 28, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it it was amazing
The Monsters of Morley Manor is a little bit outside Coville's usual material. It starts off ghosty-horror when five monsters are brought to life, then progresses through fantasy, complete with magic rock and wizard guys, to sci-fi with world-hopping and aliens, then back to ghosty-horror. Needless to say, it's awesome.

The protagonists are Anthony Walker and his younger sister Sarah. Anthony is about ten-ish and Sarah is a few years younger, but unlike many authors Coville resists the urge to ov
Kristin King
Mar 09, 2015 Kristin King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really is a madcap adventure for Anthony Walker with a bunch of twists on monster lore. Includes a "Dr. Who" like character as well--travels through the Starry Door to other worlds. Too scary for younger readers who aren't sure about what is real and what isn't. This production by Full Cast Audio was especially entertaining for listening.
Oct 12, 2016 Babsidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy, ya, horror
A delightful Halloween romp with some mini monsters and aliens and the like. This book doesn't hold up as well as I would have hoped to an older reader, but I can see glimmers of why this book so fascinated me as a kid. The narrator's commentary on how hard some of the events of the book are to understand is the kind of casual nod that makes you think on exactly what they mean, such as what it would be like to have a little brother suddenly be much, much older than you. This is the kind of book ...more
Jun 11, 2015 Alxandra rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, mystery
Morley Manor is the spookiest house in Owl's Roost, Nebraska and Old Man Morley has passed away. A developer has bought it and is going to tear it down, so all the contents are up for sale to clear it out.

Anthony and his sister Sarah decide to check out the weirdest house and see what they may find. Much of the stuff is either too expensive or gets snatched up by all the folks that came to see. While in the library, Sarah sees an unusual box and points it out to Anthony. It isn't priced so they
Leo Bennett
May 27, 2016 Leo Bennett rated it it was amazing
My family had the audiobook when I was a kid and I listened to it so many times. I'm finally listening to it again after all these years and I still love it as much as I did then, most parts were still stuck in my memory after all those years. Great book for older kids and young teens; even better audiobook for all ages. Big fan of Bruce Coville's. His books sure did give me a weird childhood.
Jun 06, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it
Well, I read this with my son. One chapter a night. Anyway, it was good. Myson being 5 loved the book and while I wasnt bored I could tell it was for younger readers. Overall though, the book was interesting.
Pyrate Queen
Anthony and his younger sister Sarah discover that the monster figures he got in an unusual box at an estate sale are actually shrunken humans but they have no way of knowing that the "monsters" will lead them on a fantastical adventure to other worlds in an effort to save Earth.
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters
  • Rex Zero and the End of the World
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Story Time
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Haunted Kids: True Ghost Stories
  • Kissing Tennessee: and Other Stories from the Stardust Dance
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)