The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  575 ratings  ·  56 reviews
What do you get when you mix together--
werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, alternate dimensions, tiny people, Transylvania, ancient curses, giant frogs, evil clones, ghosts, lawyers, shape-changers, fallen angels, journeys through hell, zombie warriors, body snatchers, and two clever kids in whose hands rests the fate of Earth?
--The craziest adventure-...more
Published September 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2001)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanHoles by Louis SacharThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Books for Reluctant Readers
122nd out of 706 books — 1,216 voters
Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick Clack Moo by Doreen CroninKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
90th out of 313 books — 248 voters

More lists with this book...

Collin
"The Monsters of Morley Manor", by Bruce Coville is an interesting book. I chose this book because of the fact we ran out of time in the library and i needed to choose a book. This story is about a boy, Anthony and his sister Sarah regular kids who happen to go to a yard sale. The boy stumbles across a small box and decides to buy it. When he gets home he realizes the box is very hard to open. When he finally gets it open he finds toys inside, which when he later gets water on one they come to l...more
Dana
I loved this book! (insert happy jumping smiley faces here)
It is a fun, fast paced adventure in which Anthony and his sister Sarah, after animating some monster figurines that they bought at a garage sale, who are really humans who had changed their bodies on another planet and were then changed into tiny figurines 50 years ago, visit other planets and the realm of the dead and save the earth from aliens who want to take it over. What more could you ask for? It is totally fun and a great read.
I...more
Kressel Housman
My kids would surely rate this a 5, and the only reason I don't is that it's just not on the level of Harry Potter, even though it is an action-packed juvie fantasy that deals with death and the afterlife. But even though it's not Harry Potter, it's still really good, with all kinds of unpredictable fantasy elements. Interestingly, it's sort of a mixed genre in that it has fantasy/ghost elements and science fiction/alien elements. I didn't like that at first, but the author pulled it off credita...more
Michael
Yet another that I edited, this was a considerable rewrite and expansion of five stories Bruce wrote by-the-seat-of-his-pants as a serial novel for his Bruce Coville's Book of [fill-in-the-blank:] series of anthologies. So much fun, and one that was especially fun to write jacket copy for, because it is a kitchen sink novel (a la Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates). So simply listing the elements in the right way makes for the perfect tease for the book.

Fun!
Amy M
Oct 24, 2012 Amy M rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: boys, fans of magic / monsters, 8 years +
I reread this for my Hallowe'en themed reads for October and it was just as fun the second time around. I think it would be a great read for kids (especially boys) that just haven't gotten into reading, and for those that all ready do love reading.

I only hope that Coville decides to make this a series and add some more adventures. The book stands alone just fine, but it does leave some space for spin-offs.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
When I was ten, I really liked this book. It's one of those stories that you simply can't put down. The plot is very exciting, and sometimes funny. This is one of the few good books that Bruce Coville has written.
Awake at Midnight
The story opens at an estate sale in an old mansion slated for demolition. There, Anthony Walker and his sister Sarah find a set of monsters set in a box like chess pieces.

In true Coville form, however, they don’t just pop back to life. In what could be the eeriest scene in the entire book, the arm of the monster Anthony is looking at becomes living flesh and starts moving while the rest of the creature is still frozen in stone. Tension mounts as Anthony and Sarah revive the monsters and discov...more
Susan
Morley Manor is being torn down since the owner died and it has been purchased by someone else. Anthony and his little sister Sarah go to the estate sale, and Anthony buys a wooden box. When he finally gets it open, he finds five little figures, and when he accidentally gets one wet, the figure starts to move and grow. Soon, he has five life-size (or bigger) monsters, but they seem like nice monsters. They ask Anthony to take them back to Morley Manor, and he and Sarah join them on a series of a...more
Monster
The Monsters of Morley Manor isn't as much of a scary book as an adventure book with monster characters in it. In the book, Anthony and his little sister Sarah buy a box filled with five miniature monster figures, a lizard man, a medusa, a wolfman, a vampiress, and a hunchback. When one of the figures gets wet it starts to come alive and thus begins an adventure involving aliens, giant talking frogs, and ghosts. Coville fits a lot into this book and while it works just fine it seems like it woul...more
Haley
Monsters of Morley Manor is about two kids. Anthony and his sister find themselves in the midst of a magical mystery when they go to Morley Manor, an infamous old house in their neighborhood. The previous owner had died and the new owner was holding a garage sale. Anthony buys a wooden box and in it he finds five bronze figurines. That night, he accidentally gets one wet and it comes alive!

This is a great book for 4th-6th graders. It has magic and mystery in it and I really enjoyed it. The char...more
Katherine
So my younger sister suggested this book to me. I must admit that it has the most awesome First paragraph. You know, one of those that really grabs you and than makes you want to read more. Sadly my excitement knida fizzled when one of the characters declares "thats because I am an alien." Then it was just a little to crazy and far fetched for me after that. There were some great descriptions of worlds and thoughts, but I felt that the writing was really aimed at really young kids (4-6 at most)....more
Tyler
i think this book was kind of boring cause it really had nothing to do with horror .Also
i thought this book was too easy for me.this book is about five monsters that were turn into stones .the setting was in Morley Manor ,it was the most weird and mysterious place in the town.One day the owner died and the town sold the whole house .But no one wanted to buy it so they they had a sale inside of the house.these two kids sarah and a boy bought this box that had five monsters ,they were staues .and...more
Allison Mcclain
It's got ALL the things!
Terry
This book is typical Coville. It's got monsters, aliens, ghosts, and a lot of zany characters. I listened to the audio book, and Coville read one of the parts, doing a pretty good job. When the book started, I thought it was going to go in one direction, but then it kept taking turn after turn, until it ended up someplace I never would have guessed it was going to go. It was a fun ride, which would be enjoyed by anyone who likes silly juvenile books. I recommend the full cast audio.
Dan
Dec 15, 2013 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
The first book I remember reading way back when I was growing up learning English. This book, written by Bruce Coville, injects all of the formula for the perfect fun-filled family-friendly type of book that I so much enjoyed when I read it the first time.

Sarah and Anthony playing alongside their new monsters really gave new life to the mundane outlook on a bleak life they once led. This book portrays more and will leave you wanting to know more.
Elzbeth
Rosa
I love Bruce Coville and this book had such a fun cover that I decided to give it a shot. Sarah and Anthony bring a box with some monster toys in it only to discover that the monsters are alive and were once human sized. Sarah and Anthony return them to their full size and they realize that the Earth is in danger.

It was a fun story and the variety of characters were really interesting. It's a neat quick read.
Jared Johnson
This book was about a group of monsters that get sent to a mansion and have to live with each other for a while. I feel like the book was interesting at first, but then it started to get boring. I think that the book was a little different from some of the other books I read. If I could talk to the author I would ask what made him create this book. I would recommend this book to young teenagers who like fantasy.
Amy
I wished this book were longer. I could honestly see this being a Dr. Who episode. The plot twists were unforseeable. The foreshadowing was not fortelling. It's a great youth Sci-fi, without any gruesomeness. unless you count

*Spoiler*

a human ghost being implanted into an alien corpse to create a hybrid zombie.
Ethan Clark
I read this book back in second grade, and I'm certain that I enjoyed it more back then than I did now. It seemed pretty childish, but I had wanted to read it again to refresh my memory. I did enjoy, however, the way it combined magic and science fiction since few books are able to do that. In that regards I liked it.
Darriana 10-11
This is one the craziest books I ever read. Here is some of the events going through the starry door, being chased, transformation, being brought to live. I know it is crazy but that is not all two kids have only till morning to go on a quest of a lifetime. You just have to read the book there is no way to sum it up.
Christina
I've always liked Bruce Coville's books! Coville did a really good job writing a book based on werewolves, vampires, mad scientists, wizards, aliens, and other creatures! I am sure other authors have done this, but Coville geared his story to 3rd through 6th graders! I say that even adults will enjoy this book!
Kylene
Meh. I got tired of this book about halfway through and had to stop listening. It is a children/young adult book, and I knew that going into it...and I liked the story enough. I just got tired of it. I think the author lost me when he had the characters go to the land of the dead.
Monica
I read this book when I was little, and recently passed it on to my little brother.
He's pretty picky about what he reads, so I was thrilled to hear that he loved it!
My mom said he couldn't put it down and that he really enjoyed the funny parts:)
Amazing read for young kids!!!
Rebecca
I haven't read this book in years, but I remember how, even at the age of 13, how mature I found the book and how VIVID the imagery was.

I love Bruce Coville, have for years, and this book is one of my favorites, although I haven't read many. I plan too though, you can count on it!
Breane Hoffman
This book is not something you will here me going around raving about. The truth is that the book was a little odd with all the monsters and ghost type things. What I did like about it was that it did give great details so that I could practically see what the alien (monster) looked like.
Debrarian
Anthony and his younger sister discover that the monster figures he got in an unusual box at an estate sale are alive, but they have no way of knowing that the "monsters" will lead them on fantastical adventures to other worlds in an effort to try to save Earth.
Jordy
Such a fun read! You can tell the author had a lot of fun writing this book, and that the story was very well planned out. I loved the characters, I loved the odd story, and I really loved the book. Excellent read for just an odd sort of day. :)
Cady
The suspense and scary parts in this story wil kill ya! this book by bruce coville is incredible. this book contains funny parts, action, friendship and the life of sibling hood!!! almost anyone can read this above 7 that is!!
Carol
I really liked the beginning, but it got a little convoluted as the story went on. Aliens, angels, the land of the dead, it got to be too much for me, but my daughter (9) really liked it. We actually listed to the audiobook.
  • Tomorrow's Magic
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • The Lost Barkscrolls: The Edge Chronicles
  • Story Time
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1)
  • The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3)
  • Well Witched
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • The Magic City
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)