Start by marking “Defiance (Resistance, #2)” as Want to Read:
Defiance (Resistance, #2)

Defiance (Resistance #2)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
When Nazis invade, what can kids do to fight them?

World War II has taken its toll on the French countryside. German soldiers patrol the towns, searching for any challenge to their rule. The Tessier siblings, Paul, Marie, and Sophie, keep their noses clean and their faces blank as the French military police tighten their grip on their small country town. But all three are
Published July 19th 2011 by First Second (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Defiance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiance

Alex Baugh
Mar 14, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
Defiance is the second book in the Resistance trilogy by writer Carla Jablonski and artist Leland Purvis. It begins in 1943, a year after Book 1 ends. Tensions are now higher and supplies are lower. To make matter worse, the Germans have formed a paramilitary group of Frenchmen called the Milice to do their dirty work, as well as instituting a policy of sending young French men and women to labor camps in Germany to help in their war effort. Paul Tessier, his older sister Sylvie and younger sist ...more
Jennifer Mangler
May 25, 2015 Jennifer Mangler rated it really liked it
I'm reviewing all three volumes - Book 1: Resistance, Book 2: Defiance, and Book 3: Victory - together because that's how I read them. They tell one story from beginning to end. I especially loved how the graphic novels captured the complexity of living under occupation as well as the complexity of the resistance movement. People on the same side disagreed and didn't get along and resented each other. It wasn't just "good guys" and "bad guys," and it wasn't always easy to see who was who. Each p ...more
Matthew
May 30, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
World War II may be raging on in other parts of Europe, but here in the middle of France, Nazi rule is secure. However, young Paul Tessier isn't going to stand by and watch idly as the Nazis take over Europe; he wants to fight. Defiance, a Graphic Novel by Carla Jablonski and the second book in the Resistance series, Jablonski masterfully captures the emotions and actions of a young teenage boy as he struggles to survive in a time of war. Defiance is for anyone who wants to know more about the a ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 02, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: next in the series

Continuing on from the second book, Paul and his older sister continue to work for the Resistance unbeknownst to their mother who has given up her part in the shady dealings to keep her family safe. The eldest girl's boyfriend is deeply involved with the movement causing her to wonder whether he really likes her or is just using her to get information from the Germans. Paul is working independently putting irreverent drawings around town of the Germans whic
Chris
Dec 05, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Resistance is an excellent trio of graphic novels about one French family during World War II, living in the "free" part of France during German occupation. There is the artist son who is in his early teens, the social daughter in her late teens, and the isolated prepubescent daughter, along with their mom and aunt. Their absent POW dad impacts their dynamics.

Over the course of the three books, Resistance, Defiance, and Victory, each member of the family goes from mildly resentful to fully and d
Raina
Sep 16, 2013 Raina rated it it was ok
This series makes me sad. It DOES get better as it goes along - as you get to know the characters. But it does not achieve what it wants to be. It feels contrived and not like the high adventure historical fiction it could be. Here's a piece of a review I wrote for another source:

Although the topic is fascinating and unique for this audience, there is a contrived feeling to this series. It feels just a little too dogmatic. The reader never truly connects with the characters, and the illustration
Brenna
This is the second book in the Resistance graphic novel trilogy. The characters are not always likable, but they are very real, which is why the books are so good. It gives a very realistic picture of ordinary people trying to survive the war and German occupation. The books are realistic, but not super gritty, as they are for kids. The info at the beginning and end give very good information.
Courtney
Book 2 of the Resistance series is where this trilogy really begins to pick up steam. The Germans are now firmly rooted in just about all parts of France, even the unoccupied portion. The French police are nearly as bad as the German soldiers. Everyone in town must watch what they say and to whom they say it. Paul, Marie and Sophie are all trying desperately to help the resistance while keeping their family out of trouble.
It had never occurred to me that children would be as big a part of the r
Lynn
Struggling with my feelings here. Defiance is a graphic novel geared toward teaching children about the French resistance. The story encompasses a family who live on a winery in Vichy France. The members spy on Germans, put up resistance posters and aid French fighters in the forest. While I learned a lot from the story, I felt irritation because to have all members rolled into one family was incredible and unbelievable. It makes the danger the family was in less credible. The Germans are always ...more
Kedron Skiles
Apr 10, 2015 Kedron Skiles rated it liked it
segual to resistance, they are silently fighting the Nazis.
Beth
Jul 16, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
Loved it! Can't wait to share with my middleschoolers!
Andrea Labonte
Apr 15, 2015 Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awesome books and illustrations. A Must read trilogy.
Emily
Sep 13, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome!
Hillary
Aug 03, 2011 Hillary rated it liked it
Not as memorable as Book 1, but still very good. The children get more involved in anti-Nazi activities but the sense of danger wasn't as well portrayed as in Book 1.
I liked how this seemed to show more "war themes" in general. In Book 2, their family unit is affected and it seems they can't trust their own family members; the resistance fighters are hiding in the woods; soldiers are interested in the town's daughters.
I really want to see the next book to see how everything plays out.
Derek Royal
Dec 15, 2013 Derek Royal rated it really liked it
Another compelling book in Jablonski's trilogy. What her Resistant books do is to raise questions of loyalty, patriotism, and self-preservation. She doesn't completely complicate the moral issues surrounding these, but she does present them for discussion. As such, younger readers -- the audience for much of her fiction -- can find the narrative accessible without too much complexity. At the same time, adult readers can find the kernels for moral dilemmas created by the was and the Occupation.
Ania
Dec 01, 2012 Ania rated it really liked it
Shelves: slis-5425
Teachers, please add the Resistance trilogy to your resources while studying WWII!
The theme of this trilogy is very serious: WWII. There are many students very interested in the war and social history of conflicts. I think Jablonski and Purvis deserve our attention as they created a very interesting book for teens and keep questioning readers on ethical issues like war, sacrifice, humanity.
Caroline
Aug 26, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
I won this book in the Good Reads Giveaway. I did not know it was in comic book format, and I usually do not read comic books, but I enjoyed it a lot! It was an easy reading, and it was also informative. I want to pass it to my husband's cousin now (she is 12 years old), because in my opinion it was also very educative. Overall, suprisingly great reading!!!!!
Sue
Jul 29, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
the graphic novel series touches on basic of the resistance movement in france while they were occuped by germany. even vichy france became more occupied as the war progressed and germany needed food and men to work in their war factories. each graphic novel has facts before and after about the situation as it happened.
Jeanette Johnson
May 06, 2015 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. It was easy to follow and told a compelling story about the French resistance in during the Nazi occupation. Everyone helps to defeat the Germans and French Militia in any way they can as they try to survive. The graphics are great as well as the reviews I've gotten.
Scott
Sep 11, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
In part 2 of this French Resistance saga, the kids get deeper into anti-Nazi activity, and the portrayal of life in a country occupied by Fascists gets a lot more complex. The story itself is pretty interesting, but it's also interesting seeing a facet of the war that you don't hear about so much.
Lisa
I'm really glad that I waited to read the first volume when I had the second volume ready to go. This is a fast pased adventure comic about the resistance in France after WWWI. I'm not sure if the kids like, but it's a lot more engaging than some historific I've read.
Maria
Mar 22, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Tim
Jun 25, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
Defiance, the second book in a three-part graphic novel series, treats the resistance movement in France with slightly more detail than the first book's examination of Jews under Vichy rule.
Kellee
I didn't like this one as much as the first, but it is still well done, interesting and will hold a reader's attention. I wish there were more historical fiction graphic novels.
Carrie Shaurette
Another well done installment in the graphic novel series about the French Resistance in WW2, but the story was more engaging in the first book, Resistance.
Matthew
This volume of Jablonski's Resistance shows more of life under German occupation and less the Holocaust than did the previous volume.
Amber
May 21, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-novels
Very interesting story and the Illustrations are wonderful! A story that every chid,adult should read. Can't wait to read the next book.
Amanda
May 13, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Its actually a complex story with many iteresting characters. Interested to see how the series develops.
  • City of Spies
  • Lewis & Clark
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • Mister Orange
  • The War within These Walls
  • Mush!: Sled Dogs with Issues
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Americus
  • Dawn Land
  • Orcs: Forged for War
  • Suspended In Language: Niels Bohr's Life, Discoveries, And The Century He Shaped
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t ...more
More about Carla Jablonski...

Resistance (3 books)
  • Resistance (Resistance, #1)
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)