Start by marking “Southern Fatality: A Jersey Barnes Mystery” as Want to Read:
Southern Fatality: A Jersey Barnes Mystery

Southern Fatality: A Jersey Barnes Mystery (Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Jersey Barnes thinks she has retired from a risk-filled career as a private security specialist. A sexy, hard-hitting brunette, she's ready to enjoy her newfound free time and is looking forward to leaving home without a weapon.

But when her boyfriend asks her for a simple favor, she can't turn him down. What should be a routine surveillance job lands Jersey smack-dab in th
Published September 18th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Southern Fatality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Fatality

Karen
Don't believe the people who say it is Stephanie Plum but in the south. Jersey has the ability to actually do the work, not bumble around like Stephanie. She is very competent in spying, fighting, tailing, all those good PI skills. She seems to be less honest with herself about her personal life than Stephanie. There are still moments of humor. People who have been to Wilmington and/or live there will no doubt get a kick out of reading about places they know. I agree with the review that said we ...more
Amy
A fun read! Set in the historic district of Wilmington, NC, author, Ocean has been called the Janet Evanovich of the South. I love her main character, Jersey Barnes, a retired government "something" (not exactly an agent, but real close). She's come home after "retiring" from the biz, but gets tied up in an investigation for an old girlfriend of her current boyfriend.

With assistance from her best friend, Ox; her father, Spud; town detective, Dirk and her father's poker buddies, their investigat
Kelly
Jersey Barnes is a government "spy" and the book starts on the day of her retirement. Things don't go exactly as planned, and she is persuaded to take a job for a friend of her boyfriend to find out if her husband is cheating. One thing leads to another, and before Jersey knows it she is in the middle of a kidnapping. I was quite surprised by the ending. I can't wait to read more about Jersey and her adventures in retirement.
A.
Feb 12, 2008 A. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Janet Evanovich or Laura Lippman
Super enjoyable -- good plot, interesting ensemble cast around the protagonist, and while I could have done without the repeated descriptions of Jersey's boobs, I really enjoyed it a lot. Think Janet Evanovich set in the South.

I'm bummed the CHPL doesn't have Ocean's other novels; I may finally have to shell out for an out-of-county borrower's card at the Durham Public Library.
Heidi
I really enjoyed this book. The heroine is spunky and full of it with a government paid for boob job and a kick ass attitude. We allknow how i love that. Mystery, a goofy father, and a coupla hot doods complete the story line... fun and I'm sure to read more of her books in the future
Courtney
A little more fun than Sue Grafton but not as crazy as Janet Evanovich. I thought it was a fun read and am eager to read her next adventure with Jersey Barnes.
Julie McGinty
Anyone who likes the Janet Evanovich series will enjoy these - very fun!
Amanda Atkins
Nicole
4.5 Stars

Jersey Barnes is a strong and independent woman. She is ready to begin an early and relaxing retirement, after working several years as a private security specialist. Unfortunately, her dream is postponed when her boyfriend, Bill, asks her to help his friend. Jersey takes on this supposedly simple task of surveillance for a few days, yet she is quickly thrust back into a world of kidnapping and an internet virus capable of stealing hundreds of millions dollars. Thankfully she has some r
Shirley Worley
Jersey Barnes thinks she has retired from a career as a security specialist only to find herself knee-deep doing surveillance on a possible cheating spouse as a favor for her boyfriend's college friend. That job quickly blossoms into a full out kidnapping and cyber-hacking crime, dubbed Social Insecurity, that would steal millions from hard-working Americans nationwide. The plot includes a variety of characters: Ox, her best friend and business partner; Spud, her aging ex-cop dad; Cracker, her f ...more
Kathryn
A review for this book said it was the South's answer to Evanovich's Plum series. Not by a long shot. The main character, Jersey Barnes, is a retired marine who is always armed and knows how to kick butt. She solves her cases through intelligence and insight, not dumb luck. Mind you, I am a big fan of the Stephanie Plum books and am always looking for similar reads.
Megan Peterson
Jersey Barnes reminded me of Stephanie Plum but this chick actually knew what she was doing. I love any books about bad ass women and this one didn't disappoint. I did not expect some of the plot twists and Spud was amazing. Definitely worth five stars.
Julia
I couldn't really get into this mystery, which is touted as being a Southern Janet Evanovich. The parallels to the world of Plum were actually kind of distracting from the story itself.
Trina
This was the first book by this author that I had read. I found T. Lynn Ocean to be a good writer who is entertaining. I will definitely read more books by her.
Patty
I could not get into this one though the female ex-special agent character should have been appealing.
Ann
The first of the Jersey Barnes series. This is a wild ride and makes you look forward to future titles.
Punk
Feb 12, 2008 Punk marked it as find-and-read  ·  review of another edition
A says, "Like Janet Evanovich set in the south."
Debbie Maskus
Read for Southern Voices 10/2008
Pam
Jul 20, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
07/18/08 rec via pbs
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Leslie Skinner
Leslie Skinner marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Sarah Russell
Sarah Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Retha Cameron
Retha Cameron marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Blue Falcon
Blue Falcon marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Nicole Palmquist
Nicole Palmquist marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Pam Luteran-Isbell
Pam Luteran-Isbell marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Judi
Judi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • Resurrection Road (Bay Tanner, #5)
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Southern Living
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • Llama Llama Jingle Bells
  • Ghost Gone Wild (Bailey Ruth, #4)
  • The Christmas Letters
  • Gone With a Handsomer Man
  • The Dark of Day
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Splintered Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #3)
  • Good Day in Hell
  • Mortal Sins (Daman Rourke #1)
T. Lynn Ocean was first published in the 'North Myrtle Beach Times' (a small town weekly) but only after getting on one knee to beg the editor and offering to write for free. That was in 1995 and T. Lynn wrote the 'Humor Me' column for a year.

She went on to write freelance for various magazines and newspapers but her passion has always been fiction. Her first book, 'Fool Me Once', was published b
More about T. Lynn Ocean...

Jersey Barnes Mystery (3 books)
  • Southern Poison (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #2)
  • Southern Peril (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #3)
Choosing Charleston Sweet Home Carolina Southern Poison (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #2) Southern Peril (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #3) Carolina Booty