Start by marking “Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Visions, Trips, and Cr...
David Kessler

Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  52 reviews

David Kessler, one of the most renowned experts on death and grief, takes on three uniquely shared experiences that challenge our ability to explain and fully understand the mystery of our final days. The first is “visions.” As the dying lose sight of this world, some people appear to be looking into the world to come. The second shared experience is getting ready for a “t

Published May 1st 2010 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions, Trips, and Crowded Rooms

I had purchased this book after the death of my own mother. As I began reading this book it made quite alot of things clear in which I thought my mother was just muttering, or she was saying incoherent things that didn't quite make sense. She was actually leaving me clues as to her last final days here on earth. After I had read this book I told my sister of my experiences I've had with our mother. I let her borrow this book so she too could read and have an open mind and share the experiences t ...more
"We've been brought up to believe that dying is a lonely, solitary event. But what if everything we know isn't true? What if the long road that you thought you'll eventually have to walk alone has unseen companions? What if who and what you see before you die changes everything?"

This is a short, but very heavy book. If you've ever lost a loved one you can appreciate the comfort that David Kessler has supplied in these pages. Kessler has combined various accounts of death bed visions by those who
This book gives fascinating accounts of hospice and other workers who deal with people that are dying. Much evidence there is that people have experiences that relate to a life after death. People see loved ones who have already passed away. Some very convincing ones are when a couple is in two separate hospitals and the one sees the other in the other hospital in a vision. Of course, the child of that parent assures their parent that the other is just in the other hospital and is alive, only to ...more
Megan Uy
When I went to the author's (David Kessler's) conference over the summer, he spoke a little about this book in particular, noting that 1) Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (of "Death and Dying" fame and his mentor) asked him to write it and 2) he was pretty worried that it would destroy his credibility in the field (end-of-life care). Except that deathbed phenomena happens. In fact, it seems that it is commonplace among the dying and those who care for them--and that these phenomena are profoundly comfortin ...more
This book could have been about 40 pages long since it just repeats the same stories with different main characters.
How can you not like a book that makes you less afraid to die? It is, after all, a rare person who can look the idea of going the way of all flesh straight in the eye without flinching. Oddly enough, although I am really committed to the goal of staying alive for quite a long time yet, as I get closer to keeping my final appointment, I tend to get less scared. Perhaps this is because I have felt some indicators, as I age, that there is some sort of mad purpose to all of this...and that we are al ...more
This collection of stories told by hospice workers and caregivers offers example after example of people connecting with loved ones in heaven, shortly before they die. It is comforting to hear that our loved ones do not die alone but are joined at death by those who have gone before. In one story, the dying person didn't even know her sister had died just hours before in a different hospital, and she was so surprised to see her.

These experiences are common and normal when someone nears death. Re
I purchased this book after my mother passed away because I was searching for explanations to what I experienced with her in the last month of her life. Friends had almost convinced me that it was imagination or medically induced although she was not on any medications at the time it occurred. It was as if I had written the book and helped me through my grief knowing she was truly experiencing it all and also revived my belief in an afterlife.
Hph Hospice
Visions, Trips & Crowded Rooms was so wonderful! And, truly, it makes so much sense that people would come to help you along that journey to the "next place." Such a peaceful thought. The body is merely a vessel for the spirit. The spirit never dies and this book further confirmed for me that "they" are still around after that vessel wears out.

It demonstrates that it's not the medication or pain or hallucinations; it's those souls from before coming to visit and to escort. How lovely for th
Ford Warrick jr
I thought the stories were moving and interesting. The author said his goal was to discuss experiences people have shortly before they die and provide hope. I think he succeeded but I would have like to hear more stories from different cultures to see if these experiences of seeing the deceased, going on trips or crowded rooms are familiar independent of culture.
Such an interesting book! It's mostly stories about end-of- life/hospice experiences, including the types of visions that are often seen by the dying. The author is not trying to discredit the experiences, but emphasizing the universality of them. I know there are some plausible scientific explanations, but this is not explored in this book.
Glenn Turner
In this work, David Kessler, a former nurse, has assembled a series of short reports of common deathbed phenomena in which human conciousness begins to alter in the hours, days or weeks preceding the death of the body.
He reports three themes in this phenomena:
1) Decedent visions and communications from the other side, including people who have gone before, and/or of other entities,
2) The decedent reports preparing to embark on a journey or trip or leaving in varied motifs.
3) The decedent rep
This is a beautifully written book describing several of the most common death bed experiences using actual eye-witness accounts from family, friends, healthcare workers, and social workers. Anyone reading this would come away with a feeling of comfort and reassurance. I would encourage anyone to read this.
This was an easy read and informative. Helps people to understand what their dying loved ones may be experiencing as far as visits from people, pets, etc. who have already passed on.
I had high expectations for this book and found myself sorely disappointed. Kessler's first chapter was interesting enough, however it was followed by a series of vignettes that felt entirely contrived. These stories are ostensibly about various folks' experiences with bearing witness to a deathbed vision. However, the tone of each of these "contributed" stories is exactly the same as every other story contained here and each of these stories happens to conveniently reinforce points that Kessler ...more
what happens nearing death??? Observations from nurses, etc...
Less pedantic than his previous book, Kessler shares many accounts of professionals who have witnessed the dying reporting the presence of loved ones, among other phenomena. These stories corroborate my limited experience.
Whether or not you consider yourself religious or spiritual or none of the above, this book told my the perspectives of doctors, nurses, hospice works, friends and family about amazing true stories of what happens to people spiritually before they pass. I found it a great comfort and it may be to you too if you've ever lost a loved one and have wondered what happens next.
Lisa A Roy
Excellent work

very objective work.It is good to see discussion regarding end of life care in a positive manner. It is good to see discussion about a subject so many people are afraid of .Very encouraging and comforting
The stories in this book were moving and I appreciated them. David Kesslers narration, however, was a bit dry.
Amy Roemer
This is right up my alley, I loved getting the insiders (doctors and medical professionals) peek into what happens just before death, so fascinating and comforting. I do wish David Kessler gave us more of the stories and less of the psychology behind it, but that's just me! Perhaps he could do a follow up with more personal stories?
A great read! Everyone should read this but especially those who have lost dear ones or have elderly parents who may pass on in their lifetime. We should not fear death or the dying process. It should be embraced with full knowledge and compassion. This way we can bring Help with Love to the dying without bringing our fears.
I wish I had read this before my husband passed away from cancer. I would have paid more attention to what he was saying when he was looking at a certain corner of the room. I would not have just believed it was just his medication and lack of oxygen to the brain.

A book of hope and faith for all of us.
Meagan Campbell
Amazing book. I came across this shortly after my dad passed away. I was lucky enough to be with him during his final moments and witnessed a true miracle as he went to heaven. The stories in this book were so touching and so similar to what I have experienced. Miracles happen. Heaven is real.
Since I have lost both parents and many of my loved ones, the experiences recounted in this book by medical professionals resonnated with me. For anyone who fears death, this book provides comfort and hope that our loved ones welcome us into the spirit world when we die.
Since it seems we all wonder what happens when we die, I found this book interesting. The author found many common experiences in working with those who were dying. I think there is a lot of room for more of this type of discussion to help those who say goodbye to loved ones.
Oh please! Yep, dying people see the people that will help them cross over. Nothing new, no science, and interestingly enough no one wants to own their story, i.e. first names only used. Why? Might disbelievers think you a bit odd? Hmmm. Just bad research and science.
If you have ever wondered what people may experience before death, this book will give you a different perspective. The author was mentored by Kubler-Ross one of the most helpful authors I read in nursing school. This book is a quick read and quite interesting.
Amazing book which enforces clearly my earlier thoughts on your last moments on earth. Particularly interesting however is that this is also a vision Steve Jobs saw in his last moments in a hospital. Looking past his family and saying "Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow."

I found this book so comforting. Also interesting, that so many medical professionals are adverse to saying anything about deathbed phenomenon. I recommend this if you are curious about death or if you are currently going through the grieving process of losing someone.
  • Doctor Who 50 : the essential guide
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament: The Canon and Christian Imagination
  • The Court of the Midnight King
  • The Female Body Breakthrough: The Revolutionary Strength-Training Plan for Losing Fat and Getting the Body You Want
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • Sing Me An Old Song
  • The Camelot Code
  • Sheep Take a Hike
  • Life Lessons: Two Experts on Death and Dying Teach Us About the Mysteries of Life and Living
  • The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation
  • The Darkest Hour
  • Allah: A Christian Response
  • Hands-On Healing Remedies: 150 Recipes for Herbal Balms, Salves, Oils, Liniments & Other Topical Therapies
  • The Salem Witch Society
  • Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • The Truth About Food: What You Eat Can Change Your Life
  • Extreme Couponing: Learn How to Be a Savvy Shopper and Save Money... One Coupon At a Time
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

David Kessler is a hospice expert who writes on death and dying.

David Kessler is a writer of thrillers and other novels.

David A. Kessler is the name of an academic and governmental administrator who authored books on health care with respect to tobacco, overeating and elder care.
More about David Kessler...
The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life's Final Chapter The Rights of the Dying: A Companion for Life's Final Moments laat je niet volvreten 15 Stunden: Thriller Capture

“Maturity is when you accept the fact that two contradictory ideas can exist together.” 8 likes