Start by marking “Ghost Hands” as Want to Read:
Ghost Hands

Ghost Hands

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
When T. A. Barron visited the Patagonian Cave of Hands and saw a footprint inside the cave, he knew there was a story there. And so he created the story of Auki, a young boy who knows he's ready to be a hunter, even though his father says he's not old enough. When Auki defies his father and sneaks out at dawn with spear in hand, he discovers something unexpected-a place he ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Hands

Rose
Quick, lovely read. I went to the library to look up some stories based in Argentina and found a children's book based in Patagonia. "Ghost Hands" is written by T.A. Barron, and the beautiful, color illustrations were drawn by William Low. The tale is about a boy named Auki, of the Tehuelche tribe, who defies his family wanting to prove his worth as a hunter. Yet a dangerous encounter with a puma leaves him in a tough spot. It also leads to a discovery of a cave with many painted hands, and evol ...more
Kaitlin
May 02, 2014 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Text to text: I related this story to the story of Mulan. Mulan also tries to honor her father/family and ends up growing up in a much bigger way. They both are honorable people who went behind their families backs' in order to come of age.

Text to self: I related to this book because I remember wanting to be an adult and wanting to make my parents proud. Any grown up should be able to relate.

Text to world: this story is based off of a real tribe and the cave of hands. There is actually a cave
Eva Leger
Sep 16, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-julia
I wasn't expecting Julia to like this as much as she did. I only took it out from the library because the cover art was interesting to me. I wasn't sure what to expect from the title.
For me the most interesting part of the book is the note to the reader in the beginning. Barron tells the readers how, when he visits South America, he found out about the Cueva de las Manos, or, 'The Cave of Hands'.
This cave is covered with paintings of hands. In the middle of these hands, if one painting of a left
Julia Jasztal
Feb 18, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 9/16/11 -

This cave is covered with paintings of hands. In the middle of these ha
Alice
Mar 11, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
This book was interesting...however the authors note at the beginning was far more interesting. I had to Google the pictures of The Cave of Hands. I liked the concept but not in love!
Barbara
Aug 01, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
The author imagines a plausible answer to the mystery of why the Tehuelche tribe of Patagonia painted 890 different hands and one left foot in a cave in Argentina. Auki is desperate to join his father on a hunt, and while he waits to be deemed old enough, he practices the skills he will need for hunting. But when his father tells him once again that he needs to wait, he slips out on his own to prove himself. But the challenge of a puma faces him all too quickly, and and he ends up in a place abo ...more
Joannafrndak
Ghost Hands is a work of fiction about a boy from the Tehuelche tribe. In this story, a young boy wishes to prove himself to be a worthy hunter, but ends up proving his courage in a different way. An encounter that the boy has with an old shaman and a cougar teaches him a valuable life lesson, and history lesson, that he did not expect.
This book is appropriate for mid-elementary school readers and above.

Karen
Oct 26, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I really like folk tales, especially when they are well-done, and this one is very well-done, with lovely and intriguing artwork.
Debby Baumgartner
Fiction story based on the painted hand prints found in Patagonian Cave of the Hands.
Donalyn
In Patagonia, there is a cave called The Cave of the Hands, which includes 890 painted handprints. Some of these prints are over 9,000 years old. Mysteriously, there is one lone footprint. The cave, the footprint, and the legends of the Patagonia's Tehuelche tribe, provide the basis for this story. Since most of Barron's story is conjecture, I didn't find his version of events believable. This book still has value as a conversation starter about traditions, legacies, and bravery.
Jan 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Every day I learn something new. Today I learned of the Tehuelche tribe from South America. Although this is a fictional story, I love that the authors curiosity was so piqued by the real-life Cave of Hands that he imagined this story of how the lone foot painted amidst all the hands might have come to be. Beautifully illustrated by William Low.
Melody
Mar 03, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
I really liked the story. The illustrations were okay but not stellar. The real strength here was the narrative, bringing a fairly plausible (and heroic!) explanation to why there's just one foot painted in the Cave of the Hands in Patagonia. I love books that bring ancient history to little kids in an engaging fashion, and Barron does that here. 3.5
Shelli
Nov 30, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Story of one theory as to why one foot print was found in The Cave of the Hands. A cave in Argentina that has preserved the Patagonian tribes art from long long ago.
Bethe
Oct 11, 2012 Bethe rated it liked it
This book has a folktale feel to it, author's note adds to that feeling. Makes me want to visit Argentina.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 19, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Speculative story about the "Cave of the Hands" in Patagonia.
Sean
Dec 21, 2015 Sean rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art. And it made me cry. At work.
Polly
Jul 20, 2011 Polly rated it really liked it
Cool book.
Terra
Terra rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Kevin Eliot Jayce
Kevin Eliot Jayce rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Julie Hrbek
Julie Hrbek marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Cassidy R
Cassidy R rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Sally Witt
Sally Witt marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Ammie
Ammie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Tina Clark
Tina Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Miss Amanda
Miss Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
T.A. Barron grew up in Colorado ranch country and traveled widely as a Rhodes Scholar. Though he’d dreamed of becoming a writer, he couldn’t find anyone to publish his first novel. He joined a business, eventually became president, then decided to try again. So in 1990, he surprised his business partners by moving back to Colorado to become a writer and conservationist. Since then he has written o ...more
More about T.A. Barron...