Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine

Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In this unforgettable, dramatic account of one man's experience as an EMT, Peter Canning relives the nerve-racking seconds that can mean the difference between a patient's death and survival, as Canning struggles to make the right call, dispense the right medication, or keep a patient's heart beating long enough to reach the hospital. As Canning tells his graphic, gripping...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Ivy Books

BookAmbler
Hey, I loved this book! Although working 'across the Pond' from Peter (and at least 6 months short of getting my paramedic registration) I can relate to so much of what he says. He would feel very much at home in LAS (London Ambulance Service) - short journey times/ short runs to hospital/ large ethnic minority population. But I was surprised to read that they suffer from 'the rubbish' (he calls them BS jobs) as much as we do... I thought the private health care system would sort that out.

I love...more
 Sara
I thoroughly enjoyed the stories of real-life ambulance work. A good portion of the book also touches on Canning's work as an aide to the governor, and that didn't interest me as much. He does an excellent job of decribing exactly how things are done on the ambulance; that was my favorite part.
Perkimom
Enjoyed it though a bit self-absorbed and not nearly as real-feeling as I see on the front lines of my job.
Jenn Barbieri
I had the opportunity to hear him speak at an ems conference, and really liked his storytelling style. I think I would've enjoyed the book more if I hadn't heard his lecture. It was pretty much the book, so I was disappointed at that. It is a good book. Would recommend it.
Linda
A fast-reading look at a paramedic's life. Pretty interesting.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Mar 18, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Hank
Hank marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Clara Martin
Clara Martin is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2013
Colin Eissfeld
Colin Eissfeld marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
big daddy
big daddy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
August
August marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
Amor
Amor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2012
Apryl
Apryl marked it as to-read
May 07, 2012
ayushka
ayushka marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories American Dreamers: The Wallaces and The Reader's Digest: An Insider's Story Mortal Men: Paramedics on the Streets of Hartford Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories