Start by marking “Ein Sommernachtstraum / A Midsummer Night's Dream” as Want to Read:
Ein Sommernachtstraum / A Midsummer Night's Dream

Read Book* *Different edition

Ein Sommernachtstraum / A Midsummer Night's Dream

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  356,929 Ratings  ·  5,639 Reviews
Mit Shakespearedramen ging es mir wie mit Schokoladenkeksen. Einmal probiert, konnte ich einfach nicht mehr aufhören. Eins nach dem anderen habe ich verschlungen.

Wie meisterhaft sind seine Dramen aufgebaut -- Wie perfekt deutet jede Exposition das Geschehen der folgenden Akte an! Wie wundervoll die Sprache, die Bilder. Die Werke dieses genialsten aller Dichter sind einfac

Paperback, bilingual English / Deutsch, 176 pages
Published 1975 by Reclam (first published 1595)

To ask other readers questions about Ein Sommernachtstraum / A Midsummer Night's Dream, please sign up.

TheAnneh There are different versions. This one essentially doubles the page count by adding annotations on the left, and having the play on the right.
Russ Google a plot summary first. You need to get in your head up front what the names of the four Athenian youths are (Hermia, Demetrius, Lysander, and…moreGoogle a plot summary first. You need to get in your head up front what the names of the four Athenian youths are (Hermia, Demetrius, Lysander, and Helena), and who is interested in whom (Hermia loves Lysander, and Demetrius used to date Helena but now wants to marry Hermia). If you don't have that committed to memory before you start, you will get very confused about what happens from there.

Practically speaking, I read about one act (there are five acts) every Saturday morning for five weeks. I found that to be a good approach. Enjoy!(less)

Madeline
A Midsummer Night's Dream, abridged.

DEMETRIUS: I love Hermia!

LYSANDER: Shut up, I love her MORE. Anyway, you already hooked up with Helena.

DEMETRIUS: Who?

HERMIA: I want to marry Lysander but I'm already engaged to Demetrius and he won't leave me alone! Two hot boys are in love with me, WHY IS MY LIFE SO HARD?

HELENA: FUCK. YOU. ALL.

TITANIA: Hey Oberon, I got a new Indian baby from one of my dead servants.

OBERON: I want that kid - hand it over, or I'll punish you with bestiality.

PUCK: Holy shi
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 05, 2012 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, classics
I really liked it when Lysander called Hermia an acorn.
Bill  Kerwin

Re-reading the play this time, I kept thinking of The Magic Flute. Like Mozart's opera, Shakespeare's play may have a silly plot composed of fanciful, seemingly arbitrary elements, yet, through the power of absolute artistic mastery, the framework of what might otherwise be nothing but a second-rate masque is transformed, by Shakespeare's sublime poetry, into transformative myth.
Mohammed Arabey
Apr 12, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أولا اعترف "خجلا" أن دي أول قراءة ليا لشكسبير، وبالصدفة جائت باسبوع الجودريدز له

فمن أول ابريل وانا بروايات الغابات أُجيل

لاقرا للشاعر المسرحي الجليل، بلغته الاصلية جنبا للغة هذا الجيل

لقد بهرتني المسرحية بحق كيف لم ألق لها من قبل بالا
حلم ليلة منتصف صيف ،لربما اكثر
Riku Sayuj

Man, being reasonable, must get drunk;

The best of life is but intoxication:

Glory, the grape, love, gold, in these are sunk

The hopes of all men and of every nation;

Without their sap, how branchless were the trunk

Of life's strange tree, so fruitful on occasion:

But to return,—Get very drunk; and when

You wake with headache, you shall see what then.

~ Lord Byron, Don Juan, Canto II, Stanza 179.

If we offend, it is with our good will.

That you should think, we come not to offend,

But with good will. To sh
emma
mini-review, as I do for classics:
this was my first time reading Shakespeare on my own, and I kind of...saw that as a negative. I like discussing Shakespeare in a classroom setting, and being motivated to mark up the text and otherwise process it fully. I felt like I missed out on stuff here.
also, this play felt so short. maybe it's my edition's fault, for being 111 pages. maybe it's how abrupt the ending was (which is very). or how flat the characters were, or how there were a sh*t ton of them.
Kat Kennedy
It's still as awesome as I remember. Though, unfortunately, causes me some initial irritation with The Iron King.

Robbie Goodfellow is a wicked spirit running around having fun and pulling ridiculous pranks. He's not a serious teenage boy who is dramatic and suspenseful or mysterious or sexy.

Why do we have to turn everything into sexy these days? Why does every male character have to suddenly fit the romantic male archetype?

Why are mythological creatures becoming obsessed with teenage girls?
Cait • A Page with a View
Fairies + Shakespeare is like the best mix ever.
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to A Midsummer Night's Dream, a comedy written in 1595 by William Shakespeare. What a fun read! I first read this in high school and then again in college as part of a course on Shakespeare. Then I watched a few movie versions. It's full of so much humor and creativity. The plot is essentially the impacts of magic, as some fairy dust causes everyone to fall in love with the first person they see -- once the dust falls on them. Imagine the hilarity that ensues in a
Ted
3 1/2 stars

I made a plan in early 2014 to read all of Shakespeare’s plays. Not in 2014, but in the rest of my days.

Naturally this plan relied on some assumptions.

First, all plays would be treated as if I’d never yet read them (which was true for most of them).

Second, I assumed that reading one play every three months would be reasonable. There are 37 plays, hence a little over nine years. I would be 78. Seems okay.

Problems

1. What order to read the plays in?

A. Best guess as to the order they wer
Antonio

El enredo de los enredos, porque tener un triángulo amoroso, si puedes tener… ¿un cuadrado? ¿Un cuarteto? ¿Un rombo? Mmm algo se me ocurrirá. Es cierto lo que dicen sobre la obras de Shakespeare, son atemporales, así aun teniendo más de 400 años aprecie esta historia e incluso me saco unas cuantas risas, imaginen todos los personajes corriendo por el bosque declarando su amor eterno, y ni siquiera la hermosa reina de las hadas se ha salvado, y para escenificar lo que el mismo Shakespeare dijo

P
Geoff
Dec 16, 2012 Geoff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The moon methinks looks with a wat’ry eye;
And when she weeps, weeps every little flower”

(Titania)

Tomorrow night, when Phoebe doth behold
Her silver visage in the watery glass,
Decking with liquid pearl the bladed grass.

So quick bright things come to confusion
(Lysander)

Night and the ocean are the depthless things of the earth, where bright things come to confusion, become “undistinguishable, Like far-off mountains turned to clouds”. The unconscious, the sleep-world, the dream-world. Everywhere thro
Ahmed Ibrahim
" لا يكفي المرء أن يتكلم، بل المهم أن يتكلم جيدًا "

واحدة من روائع شكسبير الكوميدية التي اعتمد فيها على نسيج معقد من ثلاث حبكات وثلاثة عوالم مختلفة..
يصور فيها زوجين من العشاق من أثينا، ومجموعة من العمال البسطاء من أهالي ريفها الذين يتدربون لتقديم عرضًا مسرحيًا في احتفال دوق أثينا وحبيبته بزواجهما، ويصور عالم الجن ومكله أوبيريون وملكة الجن تايتانا وخادمهم بك.

يظهر شكسبير في هذه المسرحية العواطف التي تحكم البشر كلهم حتى الجن، كالحب والغيرة والكره أحيانًا... في قالب رائع تمتزج فيه الرومانسية بالكومي
Jean
"The course of true love never did run smooth;" is a famous, often-quoted line - a truism throughout all ages and cultures. Where does it come from? It is spoken by a character called Lysander, in Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream, and articulates possibly the play's most important theme.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is a fanciful tale, full of poetry and beautiful imagery, such as,

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with
Jason
Aug 07, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kindle, reviewed, 2014
Aww, this is a cute little play.

Which is a pretty condescending thing to say about a work of Shakespeare, right? Except it’s true! A Midsummer Night’s Dream is an aDORable piece of literature with elves and fairies and potions and magic—not something I typically go for, and a definite far cry from his more serious tragedies. In this play, a woman suffers whose love for her man lies in contrast to her father’s wishes, he having already promised his daughter’s hand to another, and if she refuses t
Liam
Jan 26, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful yet messed up play this was, thoroughly enjoyed it!

Absolutely loved the setting, the language and the element of fantasy within the story. It was comical yet still had potential to be a tale of tragedy and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much. It keeps you on your toes and the story goes round in circles but it reached a satisfactory resolution!

For me, Shakespeare is a bit hit or miss but I really did enjoy this one!
Councillor
An entertaining and amusing tale, filled with an inexhaustible richness of symbolicism, atmosphere and verbal complexity. After having seen Shakespeare as a writer of tragic and twisted stories dealing with death and schemes as major leitmotifs for many years, a light-hearted story like "A Midsummer Night's Dream" proved to be exactly the right one to convince me of the direct opposite: that Shakespeare can also masterfully create romantic comedies full of amusing allusions.
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
Oh, I loved this so much. It's charming and fun and hilarious and silly but it has a lot of heart- it's not just an empty comedy. There's wit and some really great observations on flights of fancy and the ridiculous things humans will do (with or without the help of forest nymphs) in the name of love. Also, an enchanted forest has got to be one of my favourite settings of all time, the heady summer air and a sense of magic really seeped through the pages.

Two of my favourite quotes, both by Robin
Jenny
Feb 07, 2017 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Από τα πιο διασκεδαστικά έργα του Shakespeare! Οι πρώτες 4 πράξεις είναι ατόφιες πεντάστερες, γεμάτες με αστεία, ευφάνταστες παρεξηγήσεις, μερικές από τις ωραιότερες εκφράσεις που έχω διαβάσει ποτέ σχετικά με τον έρωτα και τα αντικείμενα των ερώτων μας και χαρακτήρες πολλούς, διαφορετικούς και ενδιαφέροντες. Αριστοκράτες, φτωχοί πλην τίμιοι θεατρόφιλοι εργάτες, νεράιδες και ξωτικά με φόντο την αρχαία Αθήνα. Να προσθέσω ότι σε ένα έργο γεμάτο λογοπαίγνια και δυσκολίες η μετάφραση του Ρώτα ήταν ε ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Mar 14, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos Group Read (May 2011)
Shelves: play, ws
Yey! The very first Shakespeare that I read from cover to cover! Sneer if you have to but I graduated from a low-standard high school in a small island in the Pacific. The only dramatization that we did was Leon Ma. Guerrero's My Brother Leon Brought Home a Wife. I played the lead role of Leon, the young farmer, though. In college, I took up a paramedical course in the city and we had World Lit but we only read mimeographed copies of Shakespeare sonnets. I still remember the term iambic pentamer ...more
Lyn
Feb 12, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While it is generally true that plays should be seen and not just read, this is even more true of Midsummer Night's Dream.

It is a popular play to be performed and I have seen it several times but struggled with the reading. Still, it is a brilliant work by Shakespeare, and very entertaining. Like so many of his works, this one has been very influential on so many romantic comedies that have come since.

Shakespeare may have tried to recreate or even improve on the fairie ideal with Ariel from Th
Kelly
May 24, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My high school English teacher called this "the perfect play." He meant that in terms of it being performed. He would use it with new groups of drama students, because there was absolutely no possible way for them to screw it up. And now, close on 10 years later, I can't yet prove him wrong. I've been in this play twice (Hermia), I've seen it performed countless times by good groups of actors, mediocre ones, and one cast that was mostly pretty bad, I've seen it done in traditional Shakespearean ...more
Emily Howard
My favorite Shakespeare. I've been in it and I see it whenever I have the chance.

I forced it on 4th, 5th, and 6th graders last year. At first they were terribly confused by Shakespearean language but ultimately, they loved it.

During Bottom's soliloquy in the play-within-a play, after a half-page of ridiculous, melodrama and general wordiness, I asked the kids what he was trying to say, and one correctly deduced, "It's night. It's night. It's night. That's a wall. It's a wall. It's a wall."

My ot
Eirini
Sep 02, 2016 Eirini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Τι ωραίο κείμενο!Ανάλαφρο,χαριτωμένο,αστείο και παραμυθένιο.Δύσκολο να καταλάβεις οτι γράφτηκε τόσους αιώνες πριν.Πραγματική απόλαυση!
Carlos De Eguiluz
Dec 12, 2016 Carlos De Eguiluz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
De los romances más disparatados que he leído. Una obra plagada de enredos y líos amorosos.
Joe Valdez
Apr 22, 2014 Joe Valdez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
To celebrate William Shakespeare on his birthday in April, my plan is to locate a staging of six plays. I'll listen to and watch these on my MacBook, following along to as much of the original text as is incorporated by the production. Later, I'll read the entire play in the modern English version. A good friend I've had since high school recommended this system to me and it's been a very good system for delighting the mind in Shakespeare.

First up, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Written in 1595 and
Candi
This play was whimsical, fun and a bit magical, complete with fairies and all. It made me chuckle at times; I got a kick out of the fairy queen, Titania, falling head-over-heels in love with Bottom after he was transformed to a ludicrous creature with the head of an ass. The play was not hard to digest, aside from the language of course. However, I did have to pause and sort out the various love relationships after the love potions were applied, and havoc was wreaked amongst the mortals. Puck wa ...more
Τζο
May 15, 2016 Τζο rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Είναι το πρώτο Σαιξπιρικό έργο που διαβάζω και μου έκανε τρομερή εντύπωση το πόσο φρέσκο είναι στην ανάγνωση. Άμα δεν ήξερα ποιανού είναι δεν θα μου φαινόταν περίεργο αν μου έλεγες πως γράφτηκε εχθές.

Τα γελάκια του τα είχε. Η πλοκή ήταν ωραιότατη. Το προτείνω ανεπιφύλακτα!
Werner
Jun 17, 2014 Werner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Shakespeare, and of Elizabethan comedy
Recommended to Werner by: It was a common read in one of my groups
Shelves: classics, plays
Although I'd seen a student production of this play back in my college days, I'd never read it until now. This month, it was a common read in one of my Goodreads groups; so I decided to join in, and watched it again (this time on film) as well. (I didn't read it in the above edition, but in the 1918 Yale Shakespeare set edition.)

Quite a few of my Goodreads friends have rated this play, mostly at four or five stars. My three-star rating (which is rounded up from two 1/2!) marks me as a bit of a h
Puck
Mar 12, 2017 Puck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The course of true love never did run smooth.”

Spring is in the air! (Well, at least here in the Netherlands, it’s gotten pretty snowy in America). But no matter the weather, this play will definitely get you into a spring-mood. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is filled with flowery prose, colorful descriptions of nature, and people of all sorts falling in love. And Puck the Fae is there to provide confusion and funny tricks, because if snow in march proves one thing, it’s that spring can be a cra
One Star Reviews 1 17 Nov 03, 2016 09:24AM
Shakespeare Fans: DC Free For All Ends September 13th 4 44 Sep 27, 2016 02:01PM
Its Shakespeare week and now what? 1 15 Apr 20, 2016 12:01PM
THE WAY OF EGEUS TREATING HIS DAUGTHER, HERMIA 2 16 Feb 07, 2016 07:08PM
  • Arcadia
  • The Rivals
  • The Misanthrope and Other Plays
  • The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade
  • Lady Windermere's Fan
  • Into the Woods (TCG Edition)
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night
  • Eurydice
  • The Lieutenant of Inishmore
  • The Complete Plays
  • Lysistrata
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
  • Copenhagen
  • You Can't Take it With You
  • A Dream Play
  • The Shape of Things
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. B: The Sixteenth Century & The Early Seventeenth Century
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”
21813 likes