Start by marking “The Three of Us: Understanding My Mother, Finding My Father, and Growing Up with Tammy and George” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  78 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The marriage of George Jones and Tammy Wynette was hailed as a union made in honky-tonk heaven. And when little Tamala Georgette Jones was born in 1970, she was considered country music’s heir apparent.

For the first four years of her life, Georgette had two adoring parents who showed her off at every opportunity, and between her parents, grandparents, older sisters, and c

Published July 5th 2011 by Atria (first published May 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Three of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three of Us

Edwina Hall Callan
Dec 06, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan marked it as to-be-read
Shelves: bookcrossing
George Jones passed away yesterday. (4-26-2013)
Today I find this book in the discount bin at Wal-Mart.
It was lying right on top and calling to me ... lol.
Guy
Oct 12, 2012 Guy rated it really liked it
The book focuses more on Georgette and Tammy, since George just wasn't around for so much of Georgette's teen years. There are some particularly sad revelations of George Richey's (Tammy's last husband) abuse and, as with Tammy's daughter Jackie's book, and the recent bio of Tammy, more than a hint of Richey's culpability in her death.

Though "The Three of Us" was co-written with Patsi Bale Cox, this is very much Georgette's voice. I enjoyed reading about how much both of her parents valued inte
Archie
Jul 04, 2013 Archie rated it really liked it
Make no mistake, this book is about Georgette, as an autobiography ought to be. She was young when her parents split up and rarely saw her father for a variety of reasons, so this isn't the place to come for lots of anecdotes about the George and Tammy years.

But Georgette is brutally honest in the book, both about herself, her family and those surrounding them, and it makes this book refreshing and insightful. We get insights into Tammy, at least as it appeared to a child and young woman but, ev
Tim Webb
May 28, 2016 Tim Webb rated it liked it
Good read for fans of Tammy and George. I had trouble putting it down because I wanted to know what happened next. Obviously an insider view but still informative.
Heather  Green
Dec 19, 2015 Heather Green rated it liked it
Reads like diary/conversation but fast read.
Dale Stonehouse
Sep 10, 2011 Dale Stonehouse rated it it was ok
This book suffers in comparison to Jimmy McDonough's bio of Tammy Wynette, but even so it lacks a compelling hook. There is some insight into the marriage of Wynette and George Jones, and some nice observations of her friendship with legends Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn, among others. One thing seems obvious after reading this: everyone close to Tammy Wynette is convinced her 5th husband George Richey murdered her by intravenous medication overdose, overwork, and/or a combination of the two.
Rhonda
Jul 22, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I read this book in one day, it is a enjoyable read, down home, nice storytelling manner. Georgette is refreshing in her attitude and there is no mean spirit in her book. George Jones is distant through most of it, but still likeable and Tammy seems to be a classy lady who tragically died before her time. It doesn't go into great detail on Tammy's death and I'd like to learn more.
Patricia
Oct 20, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library on a whim and read it in one night--it was an easy and quick read. While I have not followed the lives of any of these people, it was interesting to hear what Georgette Jones had to say about life with her famous parents.
Patsy Crawford
Jul 30, 2011 Patsy Crawford rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it in 24 hours. It was a wonderful look back at the royalty of country music. Who knew there were problems in the kingdom?
Marianne Meyers
Sep 10, 2011 Marianne Meyers rated it it was ok
I'm not a country music fan, but I'm always interested in family dynamics. I read this in an hour and a half.
Dana
Jun 06, 2012 Dana rated it liked it
While it was interesting in some parts, others dragged on and got confusing. I liked it, but wouldn't say I loved it.
Sharon
Jan 25, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
was interesting, seemed to shy away from anything bad to say about George and Tammy...A mediocre read..
Tammyg
Sep 19, 2011 Tammyg rated it did not like it
Had SUCH a hard time getting through this book. It was jumping all over the place. Couldn't finish it.
Pam
Nov 02, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
Hmmm, Just another kid trying to cash in on a famous parent.
Elaine
Sep 26, 2013 Elaine added it
Very interesting look at the private lives of George &Tammy.
Lori
Lori added it
Jul 26, 2016
Diana Thayer
Diana Thayer marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Judith Moore
Judith Moore rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2016
Catherine Sewell
Catherine Sewell rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Lisa gunn
Lisa gunn rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
barb lindemuth
barb lindemuth rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Bonnie Wendelburg
Bonnie Wendelburg marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Melissa Lee Forrester
Melissa Lee Forrester marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
ShanLandis
ShanLandis marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Feb 05, 2016
Janie Palubin
Janie Palubin rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Jan 25, 2016
Kaitlin Michelle
Kaitlin Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016