Start by marking “Follow Me” as Want to Read:

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Swing high into the sky and explore a world full of earthy and elegant colors with the girl in this story as she experiences nature with a twist of her imagination.s ever sat on a swing and daydreamed.
Published April 18th 2011 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Follow Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow Me

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellI Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenGrandpa Green by Lane SmithPerfect Square by Michael  HallBlackout by John Rocco
2012 Mock Caldecott
51st out of 85 books — 188 voters
A Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.My Many Colored Days by Dr. SeussA Color of His Own by Leo LionniFreight Train by Donald Crews
Best Children's Books About Colors
95th out of 99 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Sep 03, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like swinging & colors & using their imagination and those who remember
This is one book where I liked the parts better than the whole. The pictures are appealing, and I liked the dog at the end. I loved the idea of swinging, going through the colors of nature (though purple and some other colors were not adequately matched in the illustrations), and I liked the girl, and appreciated remembering what this sort of adventure feels like.

But, the whole didn’t wow me. It doesn’t read all that well aloud and isn’t substantial enough for any but the youngest independent re
Kathryn
Jun 10, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I love Tricia Tusa’s illustrations and this book thrives on them. The story itself is rather abstract—the little girl gets carried away with colors, swept up in all the beauty of nature around her—but the illustrations are the real stars.
Dolly
Apr 06, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I'm not sure what to think about this one. The narrative is abstract enough for older children to appreciate, but it's very short and with a big font that would make them cringe and consider it too babyish. And younger children likely won't understand the flow of the lyrical words and they aren't rhyming or rhythmic enough to catch their interest. So this books seems to fall in between.

Still, the illustrations are wonderful and the book conveys a sense of wonder and delight at the colors of natu
Alyson
Apr 25, 2011 Alyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Well I defy you to read this and not want to head to the nearest playground for your turn on the swings. A beautiful celebration of imagination!
Tasha
May 24, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A girl swings on a swing, traveling from one color to another. As the colors change, so does her swinging speed and style, until she flies free from the swim altogether. She gets lost in green and travels down into the brown of the forest, and then out into the blue of the sky once again. Until she drifts back down to green. Finally, returning back home.

If that description of the book seems loose and floaty, that’s because the book is that way too. While it does mention colors, this is not an in
Barbara
Feb 26, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
An imaginative girl swings through the air, seeing the world around her in a series of colors such as the pinks that represent dawn and the flowers on the ground and the blues of the sky. As she flies through the greens of the nearby trees and notes the colors of the fall foliage, she feels as though she can tumble across the sky. In the end, of cours, she returns safely back home. The illustrations, which are etchings with monograph colors, are particularly lovely, filled with soft hues floatin ...more
The Library Lady
Jun 20, 2011 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful mood piece that would not work with toddlers and perhaps not even with preschoolers, but will be great for early elementary kids and older. The text doesn't attempt to rhyme, but it still has far more of a lyrical sense to it than many books written in cringeworthy verse for children. Lovely use of colors and the loosely drawn pictures have grace and energy. A winner, one I'd like to see get a Caledcott nomination.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Apr 03, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
A young girl wanders, rises, falls, whispers, tumbles, and gets lost in all the different colors of a beautiful daydream and eventually finds her way back home.

Tusa's illustrations are bright, whimsical, and reminds us that we can follow our dreams anywhere but we're never really too far from home.

Love it!
Elisabeth
May 18, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Daydreaming, colors, swings - what's not to love?
Sarah Harmon
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah Harmon rated it liked it
This is a book that is about a young girl who gets carried away by the wonders of nature. Her imagination runs wild while playing around outside.
I love how the author involves you in the whimsical adventures of the main character. The illustrations in this book are very descriptive and colorful.
I like this book a lot, but I doubt I would have this book in my classroom. This book really had no plot and it wasn't thought provoking enough for me.
Jd Ehringer
This was part of Christie's lesson on pictures books with no words. It's hard for me personally to get into a book like that, but for young kids it could be a great way for them to develop meaning before they actually learn to read. I would definitely use a book like this if I was teaching a primary grade.
babyhippoface
May 23, 2011 babyhippoface rated it it was amazing
Love. LOVE love.

I have always been drawn to Tricia Tusa's illustrations. I like the curves and the colors and the happy cartoon faces. They are the reason I picked this book up to read it.

But it is the language of Follow Me that made me {{sigh}}. It is lyrical and lovely, like sauntering through a poem. It is a poem, really, and every word is just as it should be:
I whisper, I hum
and I find my way,
lost in small, green, happy music.

That's the kind of line I want to read in a hushed voice and t
Christy
May 26, 2011 Christy rated it really liked it
How could a book with such simple lyrics and illustrations capture my heart the way it did? Mainly by the author portraying the feelings of a young girls imagination through beautiful illustrations and taking me back to my own childhood, swinging for hours on the backyard swingset. The illustrations were done by a colorful etching process and the girls facial expression tells the moment, reminding us of being a carefree child once again. This story enlightened my spirit and put a smile on my fac ...more
Kristine Hansen
Jan 26, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Lyrical and poetic. Imaginative way to throw a child into the world of colors. Read this slowly and savor each page.
Lindsay
Sep 30, 2014 Lindsay rated it liked it
amazing illustrations and fantastic artwork. Not much in the way of story but thats ok. Still a wonderful book!
Audrey
Jan 06, 2015 Audrey rated it really liked it
A wonderful children's book that only adults will probably understand.
Jodie
Mar 13, 2016 Jodie rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations that had me smiling as I read.
Kris
Jan 20, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poetic text and illustrations that combine well.
Candice
Sep 19, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl swings on a swing and lets her imagination run free. She wanders through the pink of roses and a sunrise then gets lost in the blue of the sky. She wants the reader to follow her into the bright fall colors (although I did not quite understand what "the bright white of yellow" is). I can almost imagine the rhythm of the story as a push on the swing - [push] "into orange [push]that slips into red, [push] all tumbled together." The illustrations capture that lively imagination with s ...more
Katie Fleming
Oct 03, 2013 Katie Fleming rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-award
"Follow Me," by Tricia Tusa is about a girl who soars through the different colors of the world. She wants the reader to go on the adventure with her and then she finds her way back home. This book is the 2012 Golden Kite honor winner in the category of picture book illustration. I think this book deserved the award because I really loved the art. It looks like the illustrations were done in chalk and they are marvelous. The way the colors blend together make it visually appealing. I really enjo ...more
Shanshad Whelan
Dec 13, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
One of those books where I find the artwork very appealing, and also enjoy the text, but don't necessarily feel like the two always match up well--especially for the purpose of reading this to a young child. It's very lyrical and lovely, but as a mother and a children's librarian I've got to admit that lyrical and lovely are values that tend to appeal more to adults than 3-5 year olds.

Jayna
Jul 06, 2013 Jayna rated it liked it
Ages 2 - 5

A girl imagines her way through a world of colors and she swings and leaps from her swing set.

This would be a good book to use for a story time about colors. You could engage the children asking them about the colors that they see in the pictures. You could follow up by playing a flannel board game about colors.
Danica Midlil
Sep 14, 2011 Danica Midlil rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm always intrigued by this illustrator's covers and then disappointed by the stories. I like the wiggly, sketched nature of her artwork. The story seems like it's trying to be poetic but it fails. This is the kind of book you would read to a child once and they would never request again.
Elizabeth
Apr 25, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Girl on a swing daydreams through the colorful world around her. Maybe it appeals to me because once upon a time I was that girl on a swing lost in her own world. Illustrations are quiet lovely and enhance the simple story. Easily used at storytime.Themes: colors, imagination.
Christi
Oct 19, 2011 Christi rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I really enjoyed the artwork in this book (love Tusa's style!) I found the text to be a bit awkward in parts, though, and it didn't always match up with the images. With that said, though, I think that Tusa did a great job, especially with medium choice (etching process).
Samantha
Apr 22, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Beautiful! LOVE this illustrator's work! A simple story full of colors and play. The author/illustrator really steps into a child's mind and sees the world through young eyes and plenty of imagination. Reading this book was like taking a mental vacation back in time!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A girl swings through pink and blue and brown and yellow, and then soars into the curl of a breeze until she drifts down home.

Beautiful illustrations.

“I wander through pink
and get lost in blue.
I rise, I fall
in purple and gray.”

Melissa
I do love Tusa's illustrations. And this is just right for my 10yo poet! I appreciated it more after I had her read it to me. And I love it for capturing the sensation that after you jump off a swing in midair, you are airborne FOREVER.
Karen Arendt
Jan 07, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it liked it
beautifully illustrated with plenty of muted browns, greens and blues. A girl swings then jumps high into the air, until she gently returns to the ground and finds her way back home. Simple text with few words on each page.
Terri
May 26, 2011 Terri rated it it was amazing
I would write a review of this beautiful free verse picture book, but I couldn't possibly do it better than Kristi Hazelrigg. "Follow me" to her lovely review, then "Follow me" to a world of simple enchantment in Tusa's new work.
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat
  • Itsy Mitsy Runs Away
  • Clink
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • I'm Not.
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Mitchell's License