Start by marking “If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat: Misadventures in Hunting, Fishing, and the Wilds of Suburbia” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

For nearly a decade, Bill Heavey, an outdoorsman marooned in suburbia, has written the Sportsman’s Life” column on the back page of Field & Stream, where he does for hunting and fishing what David Feherty does for golf and Lewis Grizzard did for the South. His work is adored by readersone proclaims him the greatest sportswriter who has ever walked the planet,” and anot

Published October 1st 2008 by Grove Press (first published November 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Didn't Bring Jerky, What Did I Just Eat

Wilson Lanue
Apr 10, 2015 Wilson Lanue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the time, I'd rather be outdoors than reading about it. Outdoor writers as a breed tend to be men with too much pride to record their mistakes, who instead find drama in promoting gear and excursions that few in their right mind would break the bank for.

Heavey is different. His main stock in trade is humor, and he delivers by eloquently and unrelentingly poking fun at his own misadventures as a fisherman and hunter.

I first discovered his column, in a cast-off 'Field & Stream,' when I
Justin
Feb 04, 2009 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: outdoor sports enthusiasts
Shelves: fishing-etc, humor
Okay, I'm probably feeling a little generous giving this one 5 stars, but it's the best of its sort of thing I've read in a long time.

I think of Heavey as the F&S humor columnist. He's usually funny without being hilarious (there are touches of McManus here, but very few, and it's a pretty different aesthetic). Heavey plays the average guy well -- he's self-effacing, but he rarely makes himself into a complete idiot. He's a guy like you, except he gets to go cool places. And he also does thi
Joe
Feb 13, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

You can pick up and put down at the breaks in this short story collection taking as much time as you want to finish.
Denis
Dec 13, 2015 Denis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably would have liked it more if I fished or hunted.
Josh
Feb 17, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, hunting
Reminiscent of Pat McManus, but with a style all his own.
Ted Knudson
Oct 22, 2013 Ted Knudson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I was slowed down by the approaching hunting season. The need for field time, planning, and shopping for hunting goods was a distraction. I enjoyed the talents of Mr. Heavey (what a name, really? I guess if you're saddled with that moniker and use it to author in Field & Stream, you are committed!) Perfect bed time reading for the outdoorsman in your life.
Hope
Mar 06, 2010 Hope rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hope by: Greg and Emily
Shelves: nature
A friend recommended this because I like Pat McManus. Heavey is a very different writer than McManus, less laugh out loud humor, more subtle jabs. He spends far too much time describing the precise gear he uses for deer hunting or fishing. When he gets away from that, and into telling a real story, there are some gems; unfortunately for my taste, those stories are too few.
Gregg
Dec 19, 2007 Gregg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hunters and fishermen
I really enjoyed this book. It consists of self-effacing essays on the author's outdoor experiences. It is a lot of laughs. My only criticism is that way too many of the essays focus on deer hunting rather than on a variety of outdoor experiences. Heavey's (few) essays on fishing are really great
Jess
Really funny and oddly informative as this is a collection of funny anicdotes about hunting and all things outdoors. Each story was only about 2 pages long so this was my read-at-stoplights and at-the-drive-though book in the car.
Steve
Aug 02, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book to read. The author's writing style was simple and easy to read, but the mix of humor was perfect. Definitely recommend this book to the outdoorsman in your life.
David Spencer
A few surprisingly moving stories are thrown in with a collection of humorous anecdotes about the life of a modern outdoorsman. Nothing amazing but a pleasant diversion.
Kathy Nelson
Amusing anecdotes by a dedicated (if inept) outdoorsman. I found myself laughing (and at times crying) along with the author.
Kody
Aug 07, 2012 Kody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all those hunters and fishers this is a great book that explains why we do what we do! Very funny
Carol
Nov 28, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't hunt or fish, but I really liked this book. Some stories were funny, some were sad.
Ken Hilton
Dec 28, 2014 Ken Hilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone with interest in the outdoors, hunter or fisherman not required.
Jeff
Jun 25, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of works that go from hilarious to poignant and back.
Heidi
Sep 09, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You won't get it if you're not a hunter/fisher
Peter Schumacher
I enjoy Patrick McManus' writing much more.
Randall
Jan 11, 2014 Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest books I have ever read.
John
Nov 10, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as Mcmanus but still good
Henry
Henry rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Vicki L Hester
Vicki L Hester rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Pamela K.
Pamela K. is currently reading it
Dave Martin
Dave Martin marked it as to-read
Brett Morgan
Brett Morgan rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Ty Beard
Ty Beard marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Joseph A. Brotherton
Joseph A. Brotherton marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs
  • Cholesterol Down: 10 Simple Steps to Lower Your Cholesterol in 4 Weeks--Without Prescription Drugs
  • It's Our Ship: The No-Nonsense Guide to Leadership
  • To Renew America
  • The Total Outdoorsman Manual (Field & Stream)
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Commercial Freelancer in Six Months or Less
  • Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History
  • Face to Face: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship: Praying the Scriptures for Intimate Worship v. 1 (Face to Face: Intimate Worship)
  • How to Work for an Idiot: Survive & Thrive Without Killing Your Boss