Start by marking “The Diamond Chariot” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Chariot

The Diamond Chariot (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #10)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,853 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The first of the interlinked plotlines is set in Russia during the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Fandorin is charged with protecting the Trans-Siberian Railway from Japanese sabotage in a pacy adventure filled with double agents and ticking bombs. Then we travel back to the Japan of the late 1870s. This is the story of Fandorin's arrival and life in Yokohama, his first meeti ...more
Published 2011 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Chariot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond Chariot

Nancy Oakes
The Diamond Chariot is book number ten in Akunin's Erast Fandorin series, falling timewise in two different parts. According to a few articles I've read about this book, some people are under the impression that it may be the last in the series, but I seriously hope not. I hope we get at least to the Russian Revolution.

Book one, "Dragonfly-Catcher", is set in Russia in 1905. Historically, Russia and Japan are at war, a conflict which will ultimately lead to devastating results for the Romanov d
Очень понравилась. Особенно второй (японский) том. Прочел без остановки за пару дней. :)

Быть красивыми
После смерти
Могут только деревья
One of the recurring, if slightly problematic, themes of the resolutely liberal Erast Fandorin series of novels has been their orientalist use of forms of Japanese mysticism and cultural practices in Fandorin’s life; one of the perplexities has been the character and forms of his time in Japan. This novel fills the gap between the events of Leviathan – chronologically the third in the series (but second in English) – and The Death of Achilles. It also effectively weaves together two significant ...more
This book has me conflicted. It was entirely too long. However, the ending had me wanting to read the opening portion all over again. Overall, it was great to have Erast in Japan. Great to finally see how Masa meets Erast. Great to have Masa's point of view on the story in places. The narrative/mystery of the book was dull. Also, I couldn't stand lovesick Erast. In my head, Erast is forever tormented by the events of the first book in the series. Although he has had a few distractions here and t ...more
Marcus Pailing
I feel it's a bit churlish to give it only three stars, but I can't help comparing it with the other Fandorin books. It started very well, and ended very well; but I did feel that it was beginning to drag in the middle. It was hard work to keep at it. But it did pay off, and the climax was excellent.
The Diamond Chariot, alas, is the last novel by contemporary Russian mystery writer Boris Akunin translated into English. All indications are that the rest of the "Erast Fandorin" series will not be translated. Five things I need to say.
I'll miss Fandorin and his trusty Japanese companion Masa, that is one.
In fact this book, containing two somewhat related tales, goes back in time and relates how Fandorin met Masa in Japan when he was a young diplomat there., that is two. Of course no sooner the
Encore une belle réalisation de Boris Akounine. Dernier opus en date des aventures de son héros : Eraste Petrovich Fandorine (le Sherlock Holmes russe), L'attrapeur de libellules est un roman bi-partite.

Dans les premiers chapitres, on y suit le déroulement de la traque d'un espion Japonais durant la guerre russo-japonaise. Fandorine est bien sûr le limier chargé de débusquer le machiavélique nippon.

La deuxième partie, la plus importante du roman, est consacré à un flash-back retraçant le périple
Brian Lindsay
This is an excellent read for all of us who love Erast Fandorin and his amazing adventures. In the first part we see the hero as a middle aged man attempting to foil a series of attacks on Russian railroads during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904-1905. His enemy is formidable and their battles, both physical and of wits, are a real joy to read. However there is more, much more, to this book than just that.
It flips back in time some twenty years or so and details a youthful Fandorin arriving in Jap
Emmanuel Gustin
Entertaining, even fascinating at times, this is a fun story to read. Taking a step back, in most of the book, through the earlier history of lead character Erast Fandorin, the writer does manage to grip and retain the reader's curiosity. Even if the events and characters to develop to become rather far-fetched, Akunin manages to retain control of a complicated plot.

However, the characters in this story do not develop much, and the reason is that the author really handles them too much like a pu
Kris McCracken
Akunin's longest Fandorin novel, it consists of two volumes that deal with the young and old Erast's interactions with Japan. This is a tricky book - I think the masterpiece of the collection - that works on multiple levels.

It can only be understood through a familiarity with traditional Japanese values. The Japanese theme infuses the whole piece, the first five chapters are each broken into five parts, each representative of a syllable in a haiku. Further still, each chapter ends with a haiku t
Просто потрясающая книга. Очень хорошо, динамично и со смыслом написано. Бедного Фандорина всё-таки неплохо помотало по жизни. И конец заставляет задуматься... Не знаю, насколько точно описание Японии книге, но книга разожгла желание побольше узнать страну восходящего солнца. Книгу очень рекомендую к прочтению.
This is probably one of the most incredible books by Akunin - very imaginative. The descriptions of Japan are not necessarily a full accurate representation, more of a magical world that Japan was envisioned as back then, but it is such a thrill to read.
Meni je Akunjin beskrajno simpatičan već godinama: retro krimići u Rusiji XIX veka! Krvi do kolena! Psihologija likova na nivou petog osnovne! Neoruski neoimperijalizam & šovinizam do koske! A ipak se čita bez predaha.
"Dijamantska kočija" nije nikakav izuzetak što se toga tiče. Osim što kao bonus, osim obaveznog Erasta Fandorina, imamo nindže: čitav drugi tom, više nego dvostruko obimniji od prvog, dešava se u Japanu, sa obaveznim orijentalizmom i filozofiranjem o razvoju imperija kroz istor
Elena Yurievna

Итак, пришло время для рецензии на очередной захватывающий детектив из серии книг об Эрасте Петровиче Фаднорине. Со всей уверенностью могу заявить, что эта книга особенная. Она издана в 2х томах, 1й том посвящен войне между Россией и Японией, 2й же том является настоящим подарком для всех поклонников Эраста Петровича – мы получаем так называемый инсайт в прошлое нашего любимого героя, когда он еще только становился тем необыкновенным человеком, которым ста
Из архивите - рецензия за в. "Гласове".

Екзотична и мащабна
"Диамантената колесница", Борис Акунин, прев. Владимир Райчев, "Еднорог"

"Акунинът е злодей, но не дребен злосторник, а силен човек. Той има свои правила, които определя сам и ги следва докрай. Те не съвпадат с предписанията на закона, но за него са по-важни от живота и затова акунинът буди не само омраза, но и уважение..." Григорий Чхартишвили (1956), японист и журналист, публикува първата си книга под псевдонима Акунин през 1998 година.
This 2-part novel concludes the Fandorin series with a tale from the years Fandorin spent in Japan, which fell after the book Leviathan and before the following book. As a mystery novel it maintains the standard Akunin has set in the earlier books, surpassing some but falling short of others. (My personal favorite is still The Turkish Gambit.) This final book in the series closes with an exposition of what Akunin refers to as the "Diamond Wheel" of Buddhism, from which the book gets its title. I ...more
Первая часть, с действиями в России, понравилась, стандартная для БАкунина книжка. Второй раз перечитывать не станешь, но первый раз читать интересно.
А вот вторая часть книги, с действиями в Японии, показалась чрезмерно гротескной в отношении Японии. Это непонятно, поскольку автор именно о Японии знает особенно много. Но, на мой вкус, уж слишком сконцентрировано и акцентировано получилось.
To Discover That An Old Friend Has Changed

After the unremarkable He Lover of Death*, Diamond Chariot is a rebound but with qualifications. Book one is packed with zippy action set to a background of wartime decrepitude of Old Mother Rus, which is signature Boris Akunin

As I was reading through the rest of the series, I was always hoping we would travel with Fandorin to Japan... At last we did. It answers a lot of questions and raises more in true Akunin style. Thanks for this series Boris. I've loved it all.
Together the two linked stories that make up this book are Akunin at his absolute best, though there are a few typos that distract from the otherwise excellent quality of the work. The first story is fun but really only there to set the stage for the twists and turns of the second which takes place much earlier in Japan.

We learn how Fandorin's devoted servant Masa comes into the picture, and the essential tragedy that surrounds our hero is laid out like a feast. There are more twists and turns
Andrii Petrunia
Пожалуй, лучшая книга из серии.
Вот прямо замечательно. Одна из лучших
Sashko  Liutyj
не зовсім ясно, навіщо взагалі був написаний перший том, бо другий - дуже смачний, цікавий і захоплюючий.
невеликі розділи, хоку, ніндзі, класні персонажі, філософія і містика.
а ще - непоганий фінал, любов і смерть.

Быть или не быть -
Глупый вопрос, если ты
Хоть раз был счастлив.
Jenna M
Okay this was a book that had me flipping back from page 400 to reread page 100, which is an excellent quality in a mystery. I loved seeing young Fandorin and Masa's origins. There was some exoticism of Japan, at times reminiscent of a book like Dr. No. Some clever devices and uses of language - props to the translator, there's never a jarring moment from haikus to distorted Japanese-English. I love Fandorin's world, and it is impossible not to love the moustachioed hero. But by god, Akunin kill ...more
For me, a return to form after the slightly underwhelming He- and She-Lover of Death books. Due to reading it in fits and starts over the course of a month, I found the innumerable plot twists and different characters a bit hard to follow/remember at times, but it certainly keeps you guessing, and when I came to the last 100 or so pages, I couldn't put it down. Nice to see the start of Fandorin and Massa's relationship and to fill in the gaps with Fandorin's love of Japan as well.
Tomek Porzycki
The best book in the whole Fandorin series, but you need to read all the other books to understand that.
Mariana Semenyshyn
Just want to say only one thing: the end of the book killed me.
Finally we get to find out what happened to Erast during his time in Japan, how he met Masa for a start. Also a chance to see the character as a young man again.
Starts slowly with a section set in Russia, before heading back in time to Japan, at which point the story speeds up. Multiple characters are introduced and the story twists and turns and remains entertaining.
Best Fandorin so far :)
This book was as fantastic and fascinating as the very first one in Erast Fandorin's series. Specifically, because this book was mostly about Fandorin's adventures. Moreover, all of the events take place in Japan. The plot is as complicated and twisted as always, but eventually, comes to its logical ending. By far, it's one of my favorite books in the whole series.
  • Two Captains
  • Легенды Невского Проспекта
  • Соло на ундервуде. Соло на IBM
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Golden Calf
  • Похороните меня за плинтусом (Похороните меня за плинтусом, #1)
  • The Yellow Arrow
  • Понедельник начинается в субботу
  • Рыцари Сорока Островов. Мальчик и Тьма
  • Иван Васильевич
  • Таис Афинская
  • Trap for Cinderella
  • Дебют в Ехо (Лабиринты Ехо, #1.1-1.3)
  • Heavy Sand
  • Незнайка в Солнечном Городе
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili (see Grigory Chkhartishvili), born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandr
More about Boris Akunin...

Erast Fandorin Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • Статский советник (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #6)
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Любовница смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #8)
  • Любовник смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #9)
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)