The Diamond Chariot

The Diamond Chariot (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #10)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,247 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The first of the interlinked plotlines is set in Russia during the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Fandorin is charged with protecting the Trans-Siberian Railway from Japanese sabotage in a pacy adventure filled with double agents and ticking bombs. Then we travel back to the Japan of the late 1870s. This is the story of Fandorin's arrival and life in Yokohama, his first meeti...more
Published 2011 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published January 1st 2003)

Malcolm
One of the recurring, if slightly problematic, themes of the resolutely liberal Erast Fandorin series of novels has been their orientalist use of forms of Japanese mysticism and cultural practices in Fandorin’s life; one of the perplexities has been the character and forms of his time in Japan. This novel fills the gap between the events of Leviathan – chronologically the third in the series (but second in English) – and The Death of Achilles. It also effectively weaves together two significant...more
Nancy Oakes
The Diamond Chariot is book number ten in Akunin's Erast Fandorin series, falling timewise in two different parts. According to a few articles I've read about this book, some people are under the impression that it may be the last in the series, but I seriously hope not. I hope we get at least to the Russian Revolution.

Book one, "Dragonfly-Catcher", is set in Russia in 1905. Historically, Russia and Japan are at war, a conflict which will ultimately lead to devastating results for the Romanov d...more
Erin
This book has me conflicted. It was entirely too long. However, the ending had me wanting to read the opening portion all over again. Overall, it was great to have Erast in Japan. Great to finally see how Masa meets Erast. Great to have Masa's point of view on the story in places. The narrative/mystery of the book was dull. Also, I couldn't stand lovesick Erast. In my head, Erast is forever tormented by the events of the first book in the series. Although he has had a few distractions here and t...more
Mathieu
Encore une belle réalisation de Boris Akounine. Dernier opus en date des aventures de son héros : Eraste Petrovich Fandorine (le Sherlock Holmes russe), L'attrapeur de libellules est un roman bi-partite.

Dans les premiers chapitres, on y suit le déroulement de la traque d'un espion Japonais durant la guerre russo-japonaise. Fandorine est bien sûr le limier chargé de débusquer le machiavélique nippon.

La deuxième partie, la plus importante du roman, est consacré à un flash-back retraçant le périple...more
Brian Lindsay
This is an excellent read for all of us who love Erast Fandorin and his amazing adventures. In the first part we see the hero as a middle aged man attempting to foil a series of attacks on Russian railroads during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904-1905. His enemy is formidable and their battles, both physical and of wits, are a real joy to read. However there is more, much more, to this book than just that.
It flips back in time some twenty years or so and details a youthful Fandorin arriving in Jap...more
Kris McCracken
Akunin's longest Fandorin novel, it consists of two volumes that deal with the young and old Erast's interactions with Japan. This is a tricky book - I think the masterpiece of the collection - that works on multiple levels.

It can only be understood through a familiarity with traditional Japanese values. The Japanese theme infuses the whole piece, the first five chapters are each broken into five parts, each representative of a syllable in a haiku. Further still, each chapter ends with a haiku t...more
Alia
This is probably one of the most incredible books by Akunin - very imaginative. The descriptions of Japan are not necessarily a full accurate representation, more of a magical world that Japan was envisioned as back then, but it is such a thrill to read.
exinocactus
Очень понравилась. Особенно второй (японский) том. Прочел без остановки за пару дней. :)

Быть красивыми
После смерти
Могут только деревья
Joe
The Diamond Chariot, alas, is the last novel by contemporary Russian mystery writer Boris Akunin translated into English. All indications are that the rest of the "Erast Fandorin" series will not be translated. Five things I need to say.
I'll miss Fandorin and his trusty Japanese companion Masa, that is one.
In fact this book, containing two somewhat related tales, goes back in time and relates how Fandorin met Masa in Japan when he was a young diplomat there., that is two. Of course no sooner the...more
Elena Yurievna

Итак, пришло время для рецензии на очередной захватывающий детектив из серии книг об Эрасте Петровиче Фаднорине. Со всей уверенностью могу заявить, что эта книга особенная. Она издана в 2х томах, 1й том посвящен войне между Россией и Японией, 2й же том является настоящим подарком для всех поклонников Эраста Петровича – мы получаем так называемый инсайт в прошлое нашего любимого героя, когда он еще только становился тем необыкновенным человеком, которым ста...more
Neva
Из архивите - рецензия за в. "Гласове".

Екзотична и мащабна
"Диамантената колесница", Борис Акунин, прев. Владимир Райчев, "Еднорог"

"Акунинът е злодей, но не дребен злосторник, а силен човек. Той има свои правила, които определя сам и ги следва докрай. Те не съвпадат с предписанията на закона, но за него са по-важни от живота и затова акунинът буди не само омраза, но и уважение..." Григорий Чхартишвили (1956), японист и журналист, публикува първата си книга под псевдонима Акунин през 1998 година....more
Andrew
This 2-part novel concludes the Fandorin series with a tale from the years Fandorin spent in Japan, which fell after the book Leviathan and before the following book. As a mystery novel it maintains the standard Akunin has set in the earlier books, surpassing some but falling short of others. (My personal favorite is still The Turkish Gambit.) This final book in the series closes with an exposition of what Akunin refers to as the "Diamond Wheel" of Buddhism, from which the book gets its title. I...more
Biblioworm
Первая часть, с действиями в России, понравилась, стандартная для БАкунина книжка. Второй раз перечитывать не станешь, но первый раз читать интересно.
А вот вторая часть книги, с действиями в Японии, показалась чрезмерно гротескной в отношении Японии. Это непонятно, поскольку автор именно о Японии знает особенно много. Но, на мой вкус, уж слишком сконцентрировано и акцентировано получилось.
Tracy
To Discover That An Old Friend Has Changed

After the unremarkable He Lover of Death*, Diamond Chariot is a rebound but with qualifications. Book one is packed with zippy action set to a background of wartime decrepitude of Old Mother Rus, which is signature Boris Akunin

Dave
Together the two linked stories that make up this book are Akunin at his absolute best, though there are a few typos that distract from the otherwise excellent quality of the work. The first story is fun but really only there to set the stage for the twists and turns of the second which takes place much earlier in Japan.

We learn how Fandorin's devoted servant Masa comes into the picture, and the essential tragedy that surrounds our hero is laid out like a feast. There are more twists and turns...more
Jenna M
Okay this was a book that had me flipping back from page 400 to reread page 100, which is an excellent quality in a mystery. I loved seeing young Fandorin and Masa's origins. There was some exoticism of Japan, at times reminiscent of a book like Dr. No. Some clever devices and uses of language - props to the translator, there's never a jarring moment from haikus to distorted Japanese-English. I love Fandorin's world, and it is impossible not to love the moustachioed hero. But by god, Akunin kill...more
Gwan
For me, a return to form after the slightly underwhelming He- and She-Lover of Death books. Due to reading it in fits and starts over the course of a month, I found the innumerable plot twists and different characters a bit hard to follow/remember at times, but it certainly keeps you guessing, and when I came to the last 100 or so pages, I couldn't put it down. Nice to see the start of Fandorin and Massa's relationship and to fill in the gaps with Fandorin's love of Japan as well.
Deanne
Finally we get to find out what happened to Erast during his time in Japan, how he met Masa for a start. Also a chance to see the character as a young man again.
Starts slowly with a section set in Russia, before heading back in time to Japan, at which point the story speeds up. Multiple characters are introduced and the story twists and turns and remains entertaining.
Aga
Best Fandorin so far :)
Bogdan
This book was as fantastic and fascinating as the very first one in Erast Fandorin's series. Specifically, because this book was mostly about Fandorin's adventures. Moreover, all of the events take place in Japan. The plot is as complicated and twisted as always, but eventually, comes to its logical ending. By far, it's one of my favorite books in the whole series.
Nia
The best book in the series so far. A great page turner that keeps you gripped from the start. Would like to see it made into a film.
Carey Combe
Lauri
Kuld. Fandorin 1905. aasta Venemaal Jaapani spioon-diversanti püüdmas, kes osutub ta enda...spoileri lõpp. Ja ülejäänud 500+ lehekülge 1878. aasta Jaapanis 1905. aasta juhtumi eellugu, muuhulgas räägitakse kuidas ta endale Masa teenriks sai. Puhas kuld ikka kõik need 650 lehekülge...
Jack
The plot is far from great. Fandorin, who is a Gary Stu by definition but usually a likeable one, is... more Gary Stu and less likable than usual. Yet it's still a 4-stars read for me, because it's so well-written (Akunin is unbeatable) and the descriptions of Japan are wonderful.
Hudson Murrell
Great stuff. Gives lots of background knowledge/info on why Fandorin knows Japanese/martial arts. Great stuff. This was #7, I think, in the Fandorin Series. Called 'The Diamond Chariot.' Very, very good.
AP
Feb 08, 2012 AP marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Urged to read Akunin by a native Russian speaker who loves Akunin's work in Russian, I will try this. Somehow I don't love Akunin in translation the way that I love Tolstoy even in translation.
Judy
Amazing book - this is my first attempt at this author & apparently this is longer than his usual formats. However everything is so well-thought-through it's quite amazing. Loved it.
Boris
Of the many great Fandorin novels, this may be the best. Two, two, two books in one. Russia, then Japan. A masterpiece.

Not available yet in U.S. Available from amazon.uk
Ferdi
I sense a sequel to this particular novel. Great read, can't wait for more! Love the detailing and the historical information.
Jane Obreshkova
Amzing, of course. The style of Akunin is, as always, amazing. The characters, the plot. Just great, nothing more to say.
  • Two Captains
  • Golden Calf
  • Похороните меня за плинтусом (Похороните меня за плинтусом, #1)
  • Понедельник начинается в субботу
  • The Yellow Arrow
  • Ruslan and Ludmila
  • Тёмные аллеи
  • Таис Афинская
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Village Evenings Near Dikanka / Mirgorod
  • Trap for Cinderella
  •  Приключения Незнайки
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili, born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandrovich Bakunin and Akuna, home...more
More about Boris Akunin...
The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3) The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2) The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)