Start by marking “The Diamond Chariot” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Chariot

The Diamond Chariot (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #10)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  2,341 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
A stunning and epic finale to the series, pitting Fandorin against both Ninjas and terrorists on the Trans-Siberian Express!
Published 2011 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Chariot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond Chariot

Nancy Oakes
The Diamond Chariot is book number ten in Akunin's Erast Fandorin series, falling timewise in two different parts. According to a few articles I've read about this book, some people are under the impression that it may be the last in the series, but I seriously hope not. I hope we get at least to the Russian Revolution.

Book one, "Dragonfly-Catcher", is set in Russia in 1905. Historically, Russia and Japan are at war, a conflict which will ultimately lead to devastating results for the Romanov d
Erin
Mar 02, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia, detectives
This book has me conflicted. It was entirely too long. However, the ending had me wanting to read the opening portion all over again. Overall, it was great to have Erast in Japan. Great to finally see how Masa meets Erast. Great to have Masa's point of view on the story in places. The narrative/mystery of the book was dull. Also, I couldn't stand lovesick Erast. In my head, Erast is forever tormented by the events of the first book in the series. Although he has had a few distractions here and t ...more
exinocactus
Jun 03, 2012 exinocactus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Очень понравилась. Особенно второй (японский) том. Прочел без остановки за пару дней. :)

Быть красивыми
После смерти
Могут только деревья
Malcolm
Mar 25, 2012 Malcolm rated it liked it
One of the recurring, if slightly problematic, themes of the resolutely liberal Erast Fandorin series of novels has been their orientalist use of forms of Japanese mysticism and cultural practices in Fandorin’s life; one of the perplexities has been the character and forms of his time in Japan. This novel fills the gap between the events of Leviathan – chronologically the third in the series (but second in English) – and The Death of Achilles. It also effectively weaves together two significant ...more
Katerina
Another book of Fandorin that I read, but this one did not thrill me. It also took me quite long to finish, although usually I can't leave them down.
The story runs in two places and two time frames. Russia of 1905 and Japan of 1878.
The first part is smaller and runs much faster, while the second part occupies most of the book and is just full of problems. It is nice though to see how the whole story with Erast and Masa started and put another piece of the puzzle is Erast's character. Nevertheles
Marcus Pailing
I feel it's a bit churlish to give it only three stars, but I can't help comparing it with the other Fandorin books. It started very well, and ended very well; but I did feel that it was beginning to drag in the middle. It was hard work to keep at it. But it did pay off, and the climax was excellent.
Tocotin

This tome consists, actually, of two novels. The first one is set in Russia during the Russo-Japanese War, the second one in Japan of the early Meiji era. Having recently betrayed Edo with Meiji, I was sure I’d like the second book more, and couldn’t wait to get to it. I was wrong. The first book is better, it has a relatively faster pace and way more interesting characters and plot.

The plot of the second book seemed exciting – it’s about the assassination of Okubo Toshimichi, a topic I have a
Mathieu
Jul 29, 2011 Mathieu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Encore une belle réalisation de Boris Akounine. Dernier opus en date des aventures de son héros : Eraste Petrovich Fandorine (le Sherlock Holmes russe), L'attrapeur de libellules est un roman bi-partite.

Dans les premiers chapitres, on y suit le déroulement de la traque d'un espion Japonais durant la guerre russo-japonaise. Fandorine est bien sûr le limier chargé de débusquer le machiavélique nippon.

La deuxième partie, la plus importante du roman, est consacré à un flash-back retraçant le périple
Joe
Dec 30, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Diamond Chariot, alas, is the last novel by contemporary Russian mystery writer Boris Akunin translated into English. All indications are that the rest of the "Erast Fandorin" series will not be translated. Five things I need to say.
I'll miss Fandorin and his trusty Japanese companion Masa, that is one.
In fact this book, containing two somewhat related tales, goes back in time and relates how Fandorin met Masa in Japan when he was a young diplomat there., that is two. Of course no sooner the
Biblioworm
Первая часть, с действиями в России, понравилась, стандартная для БАкунина книжка. Второй раз перечитывать не станешь, но первый раз читать интересно.
А вот вторая часть книги, с действиями в Японии, показалась чрезмерно гротескной в отношении Японии. Это непонятно, поскольку автор именно о Японии знает особенно много. Но, на мой вкус, уж слишком сконцентрировано и акцентировано получилось.
Oksanka
Nov 16, 2016 Oksanka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These were two totally different books for me. I read the first part because I promised my friend I would, but the second book literally turned my life upside down, making me re-think some life principles. It may seem too long at first, but afterward, you find it difficult finishing the book, because the characters became too close and dear to you. Just as it often happens with good books :)
Vitaly
Sep 13, 2014 Vitaly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, russian
Просто потрясающая книга. Очень хорошо, динамично и со смыслом написано. Бедного Фандорина всё-таки неплохо помотало по жизни. И конец заставляет задуматься... Не знаю, насколько точно описание Японии книге, но книга разожгла желание побольше узнать страну восходящего солнца. Книгу очень рекомендую к прочтению.
Alia
Jan 12, 2008 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the most incredible books by Akunin - very imaginative. The descriptions of Japan are not necessarily a full accurate representation, more of a magical world that Japan was envisioned as back then, but it is such a thrill to read.
Andrea
Feb 13, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 2-part novel concludes the Fandorin series with a tale from the years Fandorin spent in Japan, which fell after the book Leviathan and before the following book. As a mystery novel it maintains the standard Akunin has set in the earlier books, surpassing some but falling short of others. (My personal favorite is still The Turkish Gambit.) This final book in the series closes with an exposition of what Akunin refers to as the "Diamond Wheel" of Buddhism, from which the book gets its title. I ...more
Neva
Aug 11, 2009 Neva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Из архивите - рецензия за в. "Гласове".

Екзотична и мащабна
"Диамантената колесница", Борис Акунин, прев. Владимир Райчев, "Еднорог"

"Акунинът е злодей, но не дребен злосторник, а силен човек. Той има свои правила, които определя сам и ги следва докрай. Те не съвпадат с предписанията на закона, но за него са по-важни от живота и затова акунинът буди не само омраза, но и уважение..." Григорий Чхартишвили (1956), японист и журналист, публикува първата си книга под псевдонима Акунин през 1998 година.
Elena Yurievna
Nov 11, 2011 Elena Yurievna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian, modern, detective

Итак, пришло время для рецензии на очередной захватывающий детектив из серии книг об Эрасте Петровиче Фаднорине. Со всей уверенностью могу заявить, что эта книга особенная. Она издана в 2х томах, 1й том посвящен войне между Россией и Японией, 2й же том является настоящим подарком для всех поклонников Эраста Петровича – мы получаем так называемый инсайт в прошлое нашего любимого героя, когда он еще только становился тем необыкновенным человеком, которым ста
Brian Lindsay
Mar 05, 2014 Brian Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read for all of us who love Erast Fandorin and his amazing adventures. In the first part we see the hero as a middle aged man attempting to foil a series of attacks on Russian railroads during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904-1905. His enemy is formidable and their battles, both physical and of wits, are a real joy to read. However there is more, much more, to this book than just that.
It flips back in time some twenty years or so and details a youthful Fandorin arriving in Jap
Emmanuel Gustin
Entertaining, even fascinating at times, this is a fun story to read. Taking a step back, in most of the book, through the earlier history of lead character Erast Fandorin, the writer does manage to grip and retain the reader's curiosity. Even if the events and characters to develop to become rather far-fetched, Akunin manages to retain control of a complicated plot.

However, the characters in this story do not develop much, and the reason is that the author really handles them too much like a pu
Colleen
Feb 26, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, fiction
I once again am reading the series out of order (I am currently reading the one preceding this now), but it doesn't really matter I think since these novels hop all around when it comes to Fandorin's life. In this, we finally learn the origin of Masa and Erast's time in Japan, after the events of the Leviathan. I read that there's FIVE more of these books, but unlikely to be translated to English--hope that rumor is untrue.

This is one of the longer Fandorin books--really it's two books in once t
Suman Yadav
Jun 17, 2016 Suman Yadav rated it it was amazing
This was a very "balanced" and entertaining book that I read in a very long time. The perspective is very unique - that of turn of the century (20 th ) Japan and Russia, the read is breezy , yet with a very distinct Russian flavour , the great Political background treated effortlessly , with just the right doses of humour and sentimentality . Even when it goes on to delve into Buddhist philosophical schools it seems so very natural. What is remarkable is it - never felt over-whelming with the co ...more
Kris McCracken
Apr 08, 2014 Kris McCracken rated it it was amazing
Akunin's longest Fandorin novel, it consists of two volumes that deal with the young and old Erast's interactions with Japan. This is a tricky book - I think the masterpiece of the collection - that works on multiple levels.

It can only be understood through a familiarity with traditional Japanese values. The Japanese theme infuses the whole piece, the first five chapters are each broken into five parts, each representative of a syllable in a haiku. Further still, each chapter ends with a haiku t
Kerli
Jan 22, 2014 Kerli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Kiilipüüdja jutustab Vene-Jaapani sõjast aastal 1905. Venemaal raudteesillal toimub plahvatus. On hukkunuid. Asja tuleb uurima Erast Petrovitš, kes peab hoidma ära järjekordsed sabotaažid ja tagama jaapani agendi.

2. Ridade vahelt teoses minnakse tagasi 27 aastat. Sarja kolmandas raamatus saadetakse Erast Fandorin diplomaadiks Jaapanisse. Teemantvanker mis on sarja kümnes raamat saabub lõpuks selgus kuidas ta kohtus oma ustava teenri Masaga.

Selles osas saabub Erast Petrovitš Yokohamasse, et as
Dave
Oct 24, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
Together the two linked stories that make up this book are Akunin at his absolute best, though there are a few typos that distract from the otherwise excellent quality of the work. The first story is fun but really only there to set the stage for the twists and turns of the second which takes place much earlier in Japan.

We learn how Fandorin's devoted servant Masa comes into the picture, and the essential tragedy that surrounds our hero is laid out like a feast. There are more twists and turns
Tijana
Oct 06, 2014 Tijana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meni je Akunjin beskrajno simpatičan već godinama: retro krimići u Rusiji XIX veka! Krvi do kolena! Psihologija likova na nivou petog osnovne! Neoruski neoimperijalizam & šovinizam do koske! A ipak se čita bez predaha.
"Dijamantska kočija" nije nikakav izuzetak što se toga tiče. Osim što kao bonus, osim obaveznog Erasta Fandorina, imamo nindže: čitav drugi tom, više nego dvostruko obimniji od prvog, dešava se u Japanu, sa obaveznim orijentalizmom i filozofiranjem o razvoju imperija kroz istor
Jenna M
Jun 10, 2012 Jenna M rated it really liked it
Okay this was a book that had me flipping back from page 400 to reread page 100, which is an excellent quality in a mystery. I loved seeing young Fandorin and Masa's origins. There was some exoticism of Japan, at times reminiscent of a book like Dr. No. Some clever devices and uses of language - props to the translator, there's never a jarring moment from haikus to distorted Japanese-English. I love Fandorin's world, and it is impossible not to love the moustachioed hero. But by god, Akunin kill ...more
Gwan
Feb 25, 2013 Gwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, a return to form after the slightly underwhelming He- and She-Lover of Death books. Due to reading it in fits and starts over the course of a month, I found the innumerable plot twists and different characters a bit hard to follow/remember at times, but it certainly keeps you guessing, and when I came to the last 100 or so pages, I couldn't put it down. Nice to see the start of Fandorin and Massa's relationship and to fill in the gaps with Fandorin's love of Japan as well.
Carey Combe
Sep 12, 2011 Carey Combe rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Bogdan
Feb 05, 2012 Bogdan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was as fantastic and fascinating as the very first one in Erast Fandorin's series. Specifically, because this book was mostly about Fandorin's adventures. Moreover, all of the events take place in Japan. The plot is as complicated and twisted as always, but eventually, comes to its logical ending. By far, it's one of my favorite books in the whole series.
Pinko Palest
Nov 14, 2016 Pinko Palest rated it it was amazing
Another great Fandorin novel. Luckily for us, since most of the book consists of the story of Fandorin's coming to Japan, it is centered on Fandorin himself. The plot is sometimes a bit far fetched, but that is part of the work's charm. Lovely humour in places, and intriguing political discussions galore.
Deanne
Aug 23, 2011 Deanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimethriller
Finally we get to find out what happened to Erast during his time in Japan, how he met Masa for a start. Also a chance to see the character as a young man again.
Starts slowly with a section set in Russia, before heading back in time to Japan, at which point the story speeds up. Multiple characters are introduced and the story twists and turns and remains entertaining.
  • Алтын-Толобас (Огни большого города)
  • Two Captains
  • Легенды Невского Проспекта
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Соло на ундервуде. Соло на IBM
  • Golden Calf
  • Похороните меня за плинтусом (Похороните меня за плинтусом, #1)
  • Heavy Sand
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili (see Grigory Chkhartishvili), born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandr
More about Boris Akunin...

Erast Fandorin Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • Статский советник (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #6)
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Любовница смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #8)
  • Любовник смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #9)
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)