The Trickster

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  21 reviews
HE IS A SHAPE-SHIFTER
HE IS AS OLD AS TIME
HE KILLS WITHOUT MERCY

Life is good in Silver, a small town high in the Canadian Rockies. Sam Hunt is a lucky man. With a loving family and an honest income, he has everything he wants.

But beneath the mountains a vile, demonic energy is gathering strength and soon it will unleash its freezing terror upon Silver. In the eye of the sto...more
Paperback, Special overseas edition, 707 pages
Published December 4th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Trickster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trickster

Helen
Enthralling horror epic based on Native Canadian mythology, of which I know nothing about (so as far as I know it could be hugely inaccurate), but still enjoyed very much.
Though I thought Gray sometimes went off on a bit of a tangent, she delivers on memorable gory nastiness and there were several interesting (if occasionally confusing), characters.
I'll be checking out more of her work.
Randolph Carter
Ms. Gray used to be (is?) a television and radio presenter for the BBC. I remember her in the good old '80s on The Tube trying to make the likes of The Jam and Sigue Sigue Sputnik behave for British telly viewers. Anyway the multi-talented Ms. Gray turned her hand to horror novels for a bit and Trickster, the first, is probably the best of the trio she wrote. Muriel is from Scotland but that didn't stop her from taking on a novel set in Alberta, Canada and largely based around native Indian folk...more
Kilgallen
I was very impressed with the research that Muriel Gray obviously put into this novel. The setting of the novel is a fictious ski resort town but the surrounding landmarks and cities are real (and I happen to live in one of them!) The story itself was well written and kept my intrest throughout.
Jaime Contreras
Jun 13, 2014 Jaime Contreras rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror and Native American fans
Recommended to Jaime by: Nobody
I had never read anything by Muriel Gray prior to reading The Trickster. Ms Gray begins her novel by relating a series of grisly and deadly murders from 1907 before bringing us to the current-day incidents. Her villain, the trickster is based on the Native American mythological god/spirit being with the ability to be an anthropomorphic animal that gets pleasure from playing tricks and behave in a barbaric and counter-societal manner. Ms. Gray holds little back in her writing. The murder scenes a...more
David
Everything in this novel was cold.

The Setting was cold, the prose was cold, the plot was cold, even the love making scenes were cold.

The way that Native Americans were portrayed was cold, as incestuous, Homosexual, drunken Savages.

Muriel Gray's writing style was hard to follow at times, her grammar incorrect, even down to paragraph structure. Often I had a hard time determining which character was speaking and thinking. I'm sure the ending of this novel was spectacular, but I had difficulty dete...more
Steve
Golden yellow dollar coin? With a DUCK on it? Are you serious? Come on.. do a little research about Canada before writing a book that takes place there. And the truck driver at the start... why is he driving a load of frozen lobster through Alberta to the _east_ coast of Canada? I guess those Nova-Scotians hate fresh out of the ocean lobsters :|

Putting aside Gray's lack of knowledge of Canada and Canadian culture, this is still merely an 'ok' book. I think it's her first horror novel so, I could...more
Purgatory
having read some of the reviews here I was in two minds about reading this, however I persevered through the UK edition (the uncut version I understand) and although it was a bit of a slow beginner it did get better

as someone else pointed out there are many grammar and syntax errors throughout the book sometimes making me reread a sentence over and over trying to make sense of it (but personally I think this is an editor problem arent they after all supposed to catch the mistakes before printing...more
Erin Moxam
There were some things I liked about this book and some things I didn't. The most detrimental part was the constant point of view switches in the middle of conversations, no chapter break, no line break, just total head hopping - whoever let that get through editing should be fired. The story itself wasn't bad, and the characters weren't bad either. It was a little longer than it needed to be in my opinion, but if you just want an easy read to kill a train ride with, you could do worse.
This is a...more
Wilfred
Ok, I understand that Muriel Gray didn't call our dollar a "looney" but a gold coin with a duck. And that her cultural reference to Aboriginal peoples was off (and being Aboriginal myself, I noticed it a lot), but I really enjoyed the story!

The story was intelligent and the characters were deep. Sam Hunt is a man with a disturbing and powerful past. I related to him and enjoyed his journey throughout the book.

I was hooked from the first chapter and I could not put it down. It is great horror an...more
Michelle
Okay. The pace of the writing was a little odd to get used to and there were a number of grammar issues... but, over all? I loved this book. I was reading it during competition, and it PAINED me to put it down. Sam really hit deep with me and the author gives an in-depth look into nearly EVERY character. Making you care for them as they go through a living nightmare. Give it a chance, guys! Definitely a top favorite of mine and I'm certainly looking for more books from their author.
Erica
This one was a tough read; in fact it took me about four years of starting and stopping to actually finish it. It didn't catch me right from the beginning, nor did it hold me captive till the end. The only parts I really liked were the parts that took place about 100 years in the past. The main characters were only works in progress instead of fully developed. And you're left not really understanding what is going on and who the trickster is.
Stacy
I tried to like this book but eventually I couldn't even stand to read it. When I reached the halfway point and still hadn't been scared or thrilled (or even interested) by the book, I quit. I read the last few pages to see if it ended predictably...and it did.

The most interesting character was the truck driver frozen in his truck. Unfortunately, he was killed off rather quickly.
Jo
This wasn't brilliant but it was good enough to keep me reading to the end of the 700+ page novel. It centred around an ancient Native Canadian mythological demon and the havoc it was wreaking when it awakened in modern times. I don't know anything about Native Canadians so I can't comment on accuracy but it was entertaining enough.
Gus
4,5/5 Ένα από τα πολυαγαπημένα μου βιβλία!! Η Gray έχει όντως επηρεαστεί από Dean Koontz και Stephen King και το αποτέλεσμα απλά εντυπωσιάζει!! Χαρισματική γραφή, κρίμα που δεν είναι αναγνωρισμένη ως συγγραφέας τουλάχιστον. Η ελληνική μεταφρασμένη έκδοση του βιβλίου, ''Ο Πλανευτής'' είναι πλέον σπάνια, αφού έχει εξαντληθεί από το 1996!!
Ainefearon
Feb 19, 2011 Ainefearon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
This was top-notch first time round. Muriel Gray has written two books that I know of, both set in America, despite being Scottish - with no "mistakes" in her portrayal of American life as far as I can tell.

The book pulls no punches with the gore, it is graphic in its descriptions of what happens to victims.
Nancy Jackson
I read this book a long time ago, and liked it a lot. The people and their society seemed genuine. Also, the story was good and kept my interest. Beyond that, the author is from Scotland, and I was impressed that she could write so well about a particular place in America.
Jane Myers
This is a good read and Muriel Gray is very good at writing horror. Also would recommend Furnace, a modern twist on the M R James, Casting the Runes. Pity she hasn't written more horror novels.
Jim
I'm not a horror genre fan, but this is an outstandingly atmospheric edge-of-your-seat nail biter. I've read it at least three times since it came out.
Maurean
Ohh...this was a good little thriller! Makes you look at strangers faces in a whole new light. Hell has never been so cold.
Adam Moon
Muriel's from East Kilbride, Scotland, where I grew up. I actually read the entire book before I found that out.
Stephen
A very good read. Makes you wonder whose face is in the mirror
Ladyalexcross
Ladyalexcross marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Matías Kornacher
Matías Kornacher marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Daniel Penfold
Daniel Penfold marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • The 5th Witch
  • Alabaster
  • Breeding Ground
  • The Death Chamber
  • Sineater
  • The Wicker Man: A Novel
  • The Summoning
  • Pale Immortal (Pale Immortal, #1)
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • The M.D.
  • From Within
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Primal Scream  (Special X, #6)
Furnace The First Fifty: Munro-bagging without a Beard The Ancient Rit naar de hel Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum: Glasgow's Portal to the World