Start by marking “The Trickster” as Want to Read:

The Trickster

HE IS A SHAPE-SHIFTER
HE IS AS OLD AS TIME
HE KILLS WITHOUT MERCY

Life is good in Silver, a small town high in the Canadian Rockies. Sam Hunt is a lucky man. With a loving family and an honest income, he has everything he wants.

But beneath the mountains a vile, demonic energy is gathering strength and soon it will unleash its freezing terror upon Silver. In the eye of the sto
Paperback, Special overseas edition, 707 pages
Published December 4th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Trickster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trickster

Randolph Carter
Dec 26, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, fiction
Ms. Gray used to be (is?) a television and radio presenter for the BBC. I remember her in the good old '80s on The Tube trying to make the likes of The Jam and Sigue Sigue Sputnik behave for British telly viewers. Anyway the multi-talented Ms. Gray turned her hand to horror novels for a bit and Trickster, the first, is probably the best of the trio she wrote. Muriel is from Scotland but that didn't stop her from taking on a novel set in Alberta, Canada and largely based around native Indian folk ...more
Steve
Feb 14, 2013 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Golden yellow dollar coin? With a DUCK on it? Are you serious? Come on.. do a little research about Canada before writing a book that takes place there. And the truck driver at the start... why is he driving a load of frozen lobster through Alberta to the _east_ coast of Canada? I guess those Nova-Scotians hate fresh out of the ocean lobsters :|

Putting aside Gray's lack of knowledge of Canada and Canadian culture, this is still merely an 'ok' book. I think it's her first horror novel so, I could
Helen
Jan 02, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
Enthralling horror epic based on Native Canadian mythology, of which I know nothing about (so as far as I know it could be hugely inaccurate), but still enjoyed very much.
Though I thought Gray sometimes went off on a bit of a tangent, she delivers on memorable gory nastiness and there were several interesting (if occasionally confusing), characters.
I'll be checking out more of her work.
David
Dec 07, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything in this novel was cold.

The Setting was cold, the prose was cold, the plot was cold, even the love making scenes were cold.

The way that Native Americans were portrayed was cold, as incestuous, Homosexual, drunken Savages.

Muriel Gray's writing style was hard to follow at times, her grammar incorrect, even down to paragraph structure. Often I had a hard time determining which character was speaking and thinking. I'm sure the ending of this novel was spectacular, but I had difficulty dete
Erin Moxam
There were some things I liked about this book and some things I didn't. The most detrimental part was the constant point of view switches in the middle of conversations, no chapter break, no line break, just total head hopping - whoever let that get through editing should be fired. The story itself wasn't bad, and the characters weren't bad either. It was a little longer than it needed to be in my opinion, but if you just want an easy read to kill a train ride with, you could do worse.
This is a
Pam Baddeley
Aug 23, 2015 Pam Baddeley rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, suspense
Found this one hard going. Lots of over the top nastiness and very obvious developments: for example, you know from early on that (view spoiler) is not long for this world. Quite a nice twist that, in the flashbacks, the minister is not a bigot, is actually trying to help the native Canadians against the other white men, but there is also a lot of stereotyped stuff about native Canadians being alcoholics and wife/children abusers etc.

Very prevalent head hopping wit
Meagan
Mar 25, 2016 Meagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely amazing book. So scary and disturbing at times, you want to check and make sure that Stephen King didn't write it. But this book isn't about some white guy/girl in Maine, this is about a Native Canadian, struggling with the internalized racism he has absorbed over the years over his race, heritage, culture, and who finds himself horribly unprepared when something dark, ancient, and terrifying reappears. He is in the only one who can fight it and save the earth from it's tendrils of ...more
Kilgallen
May 18, 2011 Kilgallen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very impressed with the research that Muriel Gray obviously put into this novel. The setting of the novel is a fictious ski resort town but the surrounding landmarks and cities are real (and I happen to live in one of them!) The story itself was well written and kept my intrest throughout.
Molly Mcintosh
Oct 28, 2014 Molly Mcintosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely chilling the first time I read it, had me looking over my shoulder (view spoiler) for weeks! If I read it now I'd probably spot some problematic aspects, especially since she's white British and writing about Native North Americans, but this is definitely one of my favourite horror novels and has a story that still sticks with me on cold winter nights. I definitely recommend it but again be wart of Gray's portrayal of Native Americans as I do reme ...more
Jaime Contreras
Jun 13, 2014 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror and Native American fans
Recommended to Jaime by: Nobody
I had never read anything by Muriel Gray prior to reading The Trickster. Ms Gray begins her novel by relating a series of grisly and deadly murders from 1907 before bringing us to the current-day incidents. Her villain, the trickster is based on the Native American mythological god/spirit being with the ability to be an anthropomorphic animal that gets pleasure from playing tricks and behave in a barbaric and counter-societal manner. Ms. Gray holds little back in her writing. The murder scenes a ...more
Purgatory
having read some of the reviews here I was in two minds about reading this, however I persevered through the UK edition (the uncut version I understand) and although it was a bit of a slow beginner it did get better

as someone else pointed out there are many grammar and syntax errors throughout the book sometimes making me reread a sentence over and over trying to make sense of it (but personally I think this is an editor problem arent they after all supposed to catch the mistakes before printing
Melody
Aug 19, 2016 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cold setting with a creepy and chilling plot.
Swaraj Yadav
2 star for nice storyline but did not conclude it properly, ending is poor.
Wilfred
Jun 24, 2013 Wilfred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I understand that Muriel Gray didn't call our dollar a "looney" but a gold coin with a duck. And that her cultural reference to Aboriginal peoples was off (and being Aboriginal myself, I noticed it a lot), but I really enjoyed the story!

The story was intelligent and the characters were deep. Sam Hunt is a man with a disturbing and powerful past. I related to him and enjoyed his journey throughout the book.

I was hooked from the first chapter and I could not put it down. It is great horror an
Michelle
Aug 21, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Okay. The pace of the writing was a little odd to get used to and there were a number of grammar issues... but, over all? I loved this book. I was reading it during competition, and it PAINED me to put it down. Sam really hit deep with me and the author gives an in-depth look into nearly EVERY character. Making you care for them as they go through a living nightmare. Give it a chance, guys! Definitely a top favorite of mine and I'm certainly looking for more books from their author.
Erica
Jun 21, 2012 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was a tough read; in fact it took me about four years of starting and stopping to actually finish it. It didn't catch me right from the beginning, nor did it hold me captive till the end. The only parts I really liked were the parts that took place about 100 years in the past. The main characters were only works in progress instead of fully developed. And you're left not really understanding what is going on and who the trickster is.
Stacy
Jul 09, 2011 Stacy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I tried to like this book but eventually I couldn't even stand to read it. When I reached the halfway point and still hadn't been scared or thrilled (or even interested) by the book, I quit. I read the last few pages to see if it ended predictably...and it did.

The most interesting character was the truck driver frozen in his truck. Unfortunately, he was killed off rather quickly.
Jo
Feb 21, 2012 Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
This wasn't brilliant but it was good enough to keep me reading to the end of the 700+ page novel. It centred around an ancient Native Canadian mythological demon and the havoc it was wreaking when it awakened in modern times. I don't know anything about Native Canadians so I can't comment on accuracy but it was entertaining enough.
Gus
Aug 30, 2012 Gus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 Ένα από τα πολυαγαπημένα μου βιβλία!! Η Gray έχει όντως επηρεαστεί από Dean Koontz και Stephen King και το αποτέλεσμα απλά εντυπωσιάζει!! Χαρισματική γραφή, κρίμα που δεν είναι αναγνωρισμένη ως συγγραφέας τουλάχιστον. Η ελληνική μεταφρασμένη έκδοση του βιβλίου, ''Ο Πλανευτής'' είναι πλέον σπάνια, αφού έχει εξαντληθεί από το 1996!!
Ainefearon
Feb 19, 2011 Ainefearon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
This was top-notch first time round. Muriel Gray has written two books that I know of, both set in America, despite being Scottish - with no "mistakes" in her portrayal of American life as far as I can tell.

The book pulls no punches with the gore, it is graphic in its descriptions of what happens to victims.
Kimberly Van Assche
Spannend boek. Juist spijtig van het plotse wisselen van verhaallijn.
Nancy Jackson
Oct 18, 2008 Nancy Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago, and liked it a lot. The people and their society seemed genuine. Also, the story was good and kept my interest. Beyond that, the author is from Scotland, and I was impressed that she could write so well about a particular place in America.
Jane Myers
Feb 22, 2013 Jane Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a good read and Muriel Gray is very good at writing horror. Also would recommend Furnace, a modern twist on the M R James, Casting the Runes. Pity she hasn't written more horror novels.
Jim
Jun 10, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a horror genre fan, but this is an outstandingly atmospheric edge-of-your-seat nail biter. I've read it at least three times since it came out.
Maurean
Nov 23, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ohh...this was a good little thriller! Makes you look at strangers faces in a whole new light. Hell has never been so cold.
Adam Moon
Feb 14, 2013 Adam Moon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muriel's from East Kilbride, Scotland, where I grew up. I actually read the entire book before I found that out.
Stephen
Oct 29, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read. Makes you wonder whose face is in the mirror
Mikey
Interesting take on an old legend
Tabi &
Tabi & marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Jfrew
Jfrew marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
  • The Ferryman
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
  • Blood Heritage (Ettison, #1)
  • Irish Tales of Terror
  • Zombieville
  • Satanic Summer
  • Spectre
  • Darkness Demands
  • Machines of the Dead
  • Staked (Time Brokers, #1)
  • The Time of Feasting