Start by marking “Time on My Hands” as Want to Read:
Time on My Hands

Time on My Hands

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Here's a genre you don't run into every day--a political time-travel novel. If you enjoyed A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, or Back to the Future you'll definitely want to give this a tumble. A brilliant physicist has discovered a time machine from the 22d century languishing in an obscure Paris technical museum, but is too old to try it out himself. Fortunatel ...more
Published 1997 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Time on My Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time on My Hands

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Book Report: Jasper Hudnut is, indeed, a nut. He tells travel writer Gabriel Prince, a footloose and fancy-free political semi-exile from their mutual homeland of the USA as perverted by Ronald Reagan, that he has a time machine, a lot of money, and a proposition for him: Kill Reagan before WWII and the death of his liberal ideas makes him into the nightmare president he turned out to be.

Hudnut, 72, can't do it...what if it takes years to accomplish in the past? Who wants 1
Kressel Housman
Sep 25, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of time travel
Perhaps I should be embarrassed to admit that I enjoyed this fluff, but I did. It's a time travel adventure and romance set in post-WWII Hollywood. The time traveler's mission is a little flimsy if you ask me: he's out to make sure that Ronald Reagan never enters politics. If I had a time machine, that wouldn't top my list of historical events to change, but even still, this was a fun journey into old Hollywood. While our time traveler befriends Reagan and plots his course of action, he rubs sho ...more
carriedaway
I like that Peter Delacorte has a vocabulary that he’s not afraid to mine. The book’s from the first person perspective of Gabriel Prince, a 43 year old Princeton grad (so important to the narrator that he can’t pretend he was a poseur claiming to be a Princetonian even when it’s killing his cover story) who has fallen into a somewhat knockabout existence writing travel books, just jilted by a Montreal rebel intellectual some 20ish years his junior when he meets Jasper Hudnut, an enigmatic engin ...more
Suzanne
I love to read time travel books, and that is probably why I finished this book, which otherwise did not much hold my interest. It's the story of a man who gets access to a time travel machine, and on the suggestion of the previous holder of the machine, goes back in time with the goal of preventing Ronald Reagan from becoming president. The problem is that I don't buy the main character's motivation at all. He doesn't really seem to care passionately about his goal, and his plans for making it ...more
Deborah Katz
It's impossible to explain to people why I like this book without sounding retarded.

"So this guy has a time-travel machine and he needs to stop Regan from becoming president and it's in LA before there are freeways, and he falls in love with this chick, and the food is bad; no one has good ingredients; there's no Whole Foods on Fairfax, yeah, I know! And he jumps back and forth and goes to Catalina, and then Reagan says..."

Yeah, when I get to "time travel machine" and "Then Reagan says..." I thi
George
Hard to peg this book. It was a time travel/love story/let's stop Reagan from becoming president story. It is a preposterous tale and, I wouldn't think that I would like it, but I did. It just had a certain charm and the old Hollywood era was interesting and.... I'm a bit of a sucker for love stories and they kept the time travel pretty simple and didn't try to explain how it works (always tricky). Nothing profound but it kept my attention, had some unexpected turns and..... I would probably giv ...more
Lainie
This is one time travel book that was engaging and just plain fun to read! And it was not science fiction-y.

It's easy to posit going back in time to eliminate Hitler before he grew up. It's not that common to suggest we might have benefited if someone could go back in time to divert the young Hollywood contract actor "Dutch" Reagan from his path to the Presidency. The author's depiction of the studio system and 1939 Malibu carried this reader into that world, and the iterations of time travel--a
Caitlin Schultz
I like the message of this book - that even if you could go back in time to change the present as many times as you like, there will still be sadness and pain in the world.
Lynn
As a reader who loves both movies of the 40s and a good time-travel yarn, I was really looking forward to this one!
Unfortunately, I don't think Delacorte's skills as a writer matched his concepts in this one. I found Gabriel's almost immediate acceptance of the notion of time travel when he was approached by Jasper to be asking me to suspend MY disbelief far too readily. And similarly, there were just too many 'holes' in the portrayal of other characters.... I don't expect Shakespeare from a SF
Paul
Okay, so this book is not nearly as wacky as the premise (going back in time to prevent Reagan from becoming president). A very enjoyable read, and we got to meet the author at our Book Club meeting. He read us a bit from the sequel that he's working on, 17 years later. Can't wait.
Tracey
Similar to the style of Jack Finney. Really liked it!
Kathleen
I loved this book. It was so entertaining that I couldn't put it down. The detail about Hollywood in the 40s was so much fun. Reading this book was like being transported. Loved it.
Judi
I'm trying to ignore all the questions I have about why the protagonist would undertake the task -- I mean, if you're going back in time to eliminate (by death or other means) someone from power, why Ronald Reagan? Why not Hitler or Idi Amin? The protagonist certainly has hubris to undertake a mission that would change the world.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the story, the historical Hollywood setting, the little twists and turns. I thought Delacorte's writing was quite enjoyable.
Erik
A wonderful time-travel change the world book, but it is a love and longing story too. Ronald Reagan is the nemesis, but the ‘hero’ of the story meets Dutch, the actor. Set in Hollywood of 1938 and briefly in the 22nd century is out of print, but perhaps can be found at a library.
Kirkus Review believes it overwrought, but our own lives feel like this occasionally and I don’t feel guilty.
Jon Spoelstra
This is one of my all-time favororite reads. You'll have a blast as a time machine takes you back to Hollywood when Ronald Reagan was a struggling B-actor. There's a mystery, there's suspense, there's foreign intrigue and you will wish that Delacorte had written a sequel. You can buy a used copy for just a penny (plus postage) on Amazon.com or get in on Kindle. www.Geezer-Lit.com.
Jamie
Aug 22, 2011 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: liberals who dream of a Reagan-free 80s, time travel buffs in general
Even though I am a big fan of Ronald Reagan, I could not help liking this book, the central premise of which involves preventing "Ronaldus Magnus" from becoming President of the United States.

Well-written and illustrated with historical photographs, this time travel novel is quite intriguing, with several narrative twists that keep you wondering what will happen next.
Michael Petrie
Enjoyed this story. From Paris to L.A. with a completely different take on time travel ... not at all science fictiony. Just a fun romp thru time ... back to a California before MY time ... and a Ronald Reagan who was just an actor, not yet a politician. I liked the story, the writer's style, his use of language, and the humor.
Shawn Thrasher
A very good book, that stuck in my mind. You won't soon forget it. If I had a time machine, I think I'd have been more selfish, and gone back in time and convinced myself not to borrow so much in student loans.
Sara
This was a good book. Interesting premise - a man goes back in time to assassinate Ronald Reagan in the 1930s before he can become president and, well, everything goes wrong.
Cynthia
I loved the time travel aspect, as always. I just wasn't interested in the time period, 1938 Holywood, or the politics, Reaganomics.
Kenzie
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I have read it 3 or 4 times and will keep this one around for a long time to come.
MariMel
mediocre book about a man who travels back in time to prevent Reagan from being President.
Betsy
I am not ordinarily a fan of time-travel books, but I really enjoyed this one.
Linda Tate
I liked this book a lot.
Damir
Damir added it
Jan 18, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
K Chan Javier
K Chan Javier marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Shortcut in Time (A Shortcut in Time, #1)
  • Here, There, and Everywhere
  • About Time: 12 Short Stories
  • Gradisil
  • Chronospace
  • Earth Made of Glass (Giraut #2)
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • Time Out of Mind
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Ivory (Birthright #14)
  • The Extremes
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death (Blossom Culp, #4)
  • Ancient Of Days
  • Learning the World: A Scientific Romance
  • The Proteus Operation
  • The Mirror
The Book of Terns: A Big Ternout The Book of Terns Levantine Games of Chance Hero Of The Revolution (Triple Threat, No 3)