Siege: Dark Avengers

Siege: Dark Avengers (Dark Avengers)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  25 reviews
After years of mystery, the secrets of the Sentry are revealed! How deep is his madness and who is really in control of him? What is the limit of his power, if any? And what deadly mystery surrounds him causing mortals and gods to tremble in fear? Plus: In the middle of SIEGE, Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye take center stage in a sick twisted battle, and launch their own agenda, r...more
Published January 26th 2011 by Marvel (first published 2010)

Brian Dickerson
I miss the Dark Avengers already. Bullseye is always entertaining in an evil twisted way. And Moonstone is hot! And... Did I just admit a comic book character was hot? Anyway, I loved the Noh-Varr story. I would have probably gone 5 stars if the book had not included the Sentry :)
Mike
The probing of the psyches of all these larger-than-life characters is what makes Bendis' writing such compelling reading. Sentry/Osborn story arc over the last year or two is some of the best writing I've ever seen, and Deodato's art more than stands up to the challenge of exceeding my expectations of how to fully render the majesty of the work.

Gravitas. Surprises. Totally understand the characters and the world they live in.
Scott
The stories are a jumble of tie-ins to the major "Siege" storyline, so they don't really make a cohesive book and they don't flow as a single story. Bendis is a great writer, but I don't think Marvel chose a great format to publish these stories in. And I'm usually not a fan of breaking up titles into combo books, but this just flat-out doesn't stand on its own.
Patrick Caldwell
What happens when a bunch of arrogant criminals try their hand at being the Avengers? Well... this apparently. Bendis provides good look at Norman Osborn as the new leader of Shield, but the other members of this anti-team kind of get lost in the shuffle. The first three parts of the story flow rather well, but the fourth part, which is the series ending annual, is obviously inserted after many events had happened in other Marvel titles. It didn't really fit. And what is with The Sentry characte...more
Neil
This collections ends the "Dark Avengers" run, and while it allows some of the great dialogue and twisted character interaction that Bendis is so well known for, the stories are a jumble of tie-ins to the major "Siege" storyline, so that while they make sense in that context, they don't flow as a single story.

Also, this volume involves Bendis finally revealing the secrets of "Bob" the Sentry... the infinitely powerful super who was "retro'd" into Marvel continuity some years ago... a near god-l...more
Martin
Collecting the "Dark Avengers: Annual" and the last 4 issues of the book's run (#s 13-16), "SIEGE: Dark Avengers" answers many questions that fans of the series might have: What happened to Noh-Varr after he left, how the Sentry got his powers, also *WHAT*, exactly, is the Sentry, and lastly: what happened to the Dark Avengers at the end of the "SIEGE" crossover.

I really liked this book. Not only for all the questions it answered, but in the way it answered them: with great dialogue, exciting a...more
Jaime
One of the most innovative parts of the Siege event, for me, was the supervillains disguised as superheroes - Dark Avengers. This Siege tie-in follows that group in and around Siege, even recounting events already seen but from a slightly different perspective (e.g. Doom's attack at Avengers tower). While it felt somewhat incomplete, due to a couple of dangling storylines, it was still very enjoyable. Evil can be so much fun in the Marvel universe.

The book opens with No-Varr, a Kree warrior recr...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Dark Avengers (1) #13-16 and Annual #1 (February 2010-July 2010). Norman Osborn’s Avengers are falling apart. Captain Marvel (aka Marvel Boy) is questioning Osborn’s leadership and is seen as a weak link by Fury and Captain America. Moonstone is flaunting her intelligence in Osborn’s face and constantly trying to undermine him. Osborn himself is slipping in and out of his Green Goblin persona and facing more and more pressure as he plots an invasion of Asgard. Osborn's biggest problem h...more
Gavin
This was a major missing piece to the Siege Event for me. I also liked getting some more info on major players who were either not paid attention to or who seemed lost. The story on Capt. Marvel (Noh-Varr) was very enjoyable and explained why he was there at the beginning and then gone just as quickly. Look forward to reading some of his adventures as The Protector.
Also really liked having someone FINALLY explain the Sentry and what the hell was going on there, since he was just destroying every...more
Michael
The last volume of Bendis's Dark Avengers stories doesn't add much to the overall story, but at least I got to find out why Noh-Varr was wearing a different outfit during Avengers vs. X-Men. And why Sentry went even more batshit crazy.

On the other hand I kind of want to forget the whole Siege story. What a mess.
Patric
This book was extremely, extraordinarily ok. Brian Michael Bendis is a amazing writer and I love all of his works, but, this one doesn't make that much sense when you haven't read Siege. Other than that, the book had great character development, especially with No-varr and Sentry. The beginning confused me by starting off with No-varr but it truly was an interesting and unexpected twist. Also the scene with the Sentry's wife was even more shocking than the consequences of her actions. Seeing the...more
Anne
Wow! This was way better than I expected! It was dark, funny, and filled in gaps (gaps, I wasn't even aware of) that Siege left behind. Reading this was like reading the flip side of Siege, so make sure and have it handy when you go into this one. I recommend it to anyone who has been following the Avengers stories for the last year or so. Extremely entertaining!
Holden Attradies
I found that I highly enjoyed this even though I haven't read the main Siege book. The Dark Avengers where incredibly interesting and I think above all I was sad to see the series end after such a short run.

The art in this volume was good, the dialog great, and I enjoyed the way it played out as a series of one shots. Having different characters get to have the spot light one at a time makes for a great read in book like this that centers on so many characters.
Mark
Norman Osborn decides to attack Thor’s home with the help of the Sentry and various reformed villains.

This book focuses on the Sentry and will address many of the questions readers may have after reading ‘Siege’.

An excellent edition which compliments the first Siege book very well.

Notes
Includes the Sentry’s origin story.

Learning Curve
Low: If read in order

Reading Order
Siege
Siege: Dark Avengers
Siege: Avengers – The Initiative
Other Siege titles
Ernest
This volume fleshes out the events of Marvel’s Siege storyline rather than being a complete work in itself. Although story-wise things generally made sense and there were some good moments, I am unsure whether I like the significant changes that Marvel made to Noh-Varr and the Sentry.
Soňa
Apr 19, 2013 Soňa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Soňa by: Boris
Oki, bit clearer than Siege New Avengers. Still not keen on Sentry even tho his wife shouldn't die. Was somehow strange jumping from one to another and than not closing it fully.... But as I said bit more clearer than other book but still not good.
Aldrin Velázquez
I really enjoy this part of Dark Avengers, the history of the relation between Osborn and Sentry was awesome and all this was complemented with a great job in the drawing...
Sonic
Awesome, dark, fun writing! And with superb artwork, (for the most part.)

I am sorry to see this story-line end!
Bob Parks
You can only root for the bad guys for so long. Norman's long awaited break down was worth the wait.
Shannon Appelcline
A fine ending to the series, with great coverage of Captain Marvel, the Sentry, and the aftermath of Siege.
Angela
Interesting ending to the Dark Avengers, Sentrys story is shocking and moving.
John Ekleberry
So sad to see Dark Avengers end... long live Osborn!
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Kahn
So THAT'S what happened to Sentry...
Nathan Jiskra
Nathan Jiskra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
André
André marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 6: Dark Reign
  • Spider-Man: Election Day
  • The Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet, Volume 5: Lizard
  • House of M: Spider-Man

Though he started as a writer and artist of independent noir fiction series, he shot...more
More about Brian Michael Bendis...
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve