The Zombie Handbook: An Essential Guide to Zombies And, More Importantly, How to Avoid Them

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Fans of classic horror films and gothic tales will want to add "The Zombie Handbook " to their personal library. Combining dramatic narrative with spooky color illustrations, author Robert Curran explains the difference between the zombies of Caribbean folklore and the sinister walking dead mummies from ancient Egypt who are said to rise from their tombs and seek revenge w...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Barron's Educational Series

Eva Leger
2.5 - I don't know what to say really. I wouldn't suggest anyone go searching for this book but if you happen to come across it - like I did - it's worth a glance.
It's very short so that's a plus. I started looking at it in the library yesterday afternoon, it's not 8am the next day and I just finished. And that's having done tons of other things besides and also reading another book. Oh, and listening to yet another book on CD also. So, it's a fast one.
The one thing that comes to mind is that th...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Connie

Beware of Spoilers

Fans of classic horror films and gothic tales will want to add The Zombie Handbook to their personal library. Combining dramatic narrative with spooky color illustrations, author Robert Curran explains the difference between the zombies of Caribbean folklore and the sinister walking dead mummies from ancient Egypt who are said to rise from their tombs and seek revenge when their burial sites are plundered. Zombies also appear in a...more
David Brzezinski
An interesting read, though it focuses more on the historical and cultural zombies than on the Romero style of undead. It is a quick read, focusing on the various types of "zombies" that are found in the world, from the well known "Voodoo zombies" to mummies to even Irish zombies. Also included are stories of people who were supposed to have created zombies, and tales of zombies themselves.

I did have a problem with the treatment of the Romero zombies. There is some passing mention early in the b...more
Shazza Maddog
A short, very well-illustrated book on zombies, giving a smattering of information about the various types, where the undead may rise, what cultures have zombies (and perhaps how they were/are being created), and some very brief but entertaining histories on Zombie Masters. Dr. Curran has taken a popular subject and written a charming little book, which may or may not help the reader survive a zombie attack, but at least might give the reader a small insight into the zombie attacker.
Emily
Good intro to zombie lore. Plus it has different stories from around the world and not just about Haiti or voodoo Louisiana. Not bad. It's on our adult nonfiction section at work but I'd probably make it YA just because of the briefness of the subject, the way the book is laid out, and the reading level.
Carol
This was a fun book about zombies. I gives interesting information about the origin of the zombie legend and has lots of fun pictures.
Theresa Kettler
I learned nothing and wished there was more pop up zombie hands....I have to put remaking this book on my to do list.
Kohl
This is a kids book. Or at least it's written like one.
Carol
Some interesting history in a quick read.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Michy
Michy marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Helina Peters
Helina Peters marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Nikola
Nikola marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Rusty
Rusty added it
Oct 02, 2013
Lizbeth Lopez
Lizbeth Lopez marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Ivan Flores
Ivan Flores marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Ámbar
Ámbar marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
One_direction_fan_13
One_direction_fan_13 marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare Biblio Vampiro: A Vampire Handbook The Werewolf Handbook: An Essential Guide to Werewolves And, More Importantly, How to Avoid Them The Handbook of Angels and Fallen Angels The Ghost Handbook: An Essential Guide to Ghosts, Spirits, and Specters