Start by marking “Three From Galilee: The Young Man from Nazareth” as Want to Read:
Three From Galilee: The Young Man from Nazareth

Three From Galilee: The Young Man from Nazareth

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  407 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Marjorie Holmes, the award-winning author of such classic bestsellers as I've Got to Talk to Somebody, God, was renowned for making the Bible come to life in books that brought hope and inspiration to millions. The first novel in this trilogy-her acclaimed, hugely successful Two from Galilee-told the great love story of Mary and Joseph as never before.

Now, in Three from
Published October 4th 2005 by Berkley Trade (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Three From Galilee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three From Galilee

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisFather Elijah by Michael D. O'BrienRisk by Geoffrey  WoodThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
True Catholic (Christian) Fiction
156th out of 184 books — 83 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Teenage Protagonists
192nd out of 193 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Lacey Louwagie
I should probably start out by saying that this is a very high three stars. There were a lot of things this book did right. The writing was vivid and beautiful in places, and like all books that seek to humanize Jesus, this one captured my heart and my attention with the possibility of who this iconic person really was. This book covers Jesus' childhood, which, as we all know, is barely mentioned in Scripture, so there's a lot of room for artistic license. And with the license that Marjorie Holm ...more
Candice Beever
Apr 12, 2010 Candice Beever rated it liked it
A historical fiction about Jesus as a child and the early part of manhood, ending just after he's been tempted in the desert and sets out to find his first disciple.

I've never really been able to grasp the idea of Jesus. Of course, I understood that he was the sacrificial lamb, dying for my sins. I got that part. But I could never picture any human living without sin. Any sin. It's beyond comprehension. But this story helped me to imagine it. To see Jesus for the man he was. To understand his lo
Kerith
Jul 26, 2011 Kerith rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I first read this when I was in high school, I think, or at least the early years of college -- I had certainly very recently become a Christian at the time. I remember thoroughly enjoying Holmes's three books.
It's interesting to go back and read this now, a little under 20 years later. While still clearly fiction and a good, quick read, it falls short for me. It is just too romanticized, and very clearly based on a literal reading of the gospels (this can be seen even though this novel is based
Lori
Mar 29, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is a novel of Jesus and his family. I really enjoyed reading what life could have been like for him as a child growing up and also picturing how his earthly family was.
Monica
Oct 05, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-fiction
I wouldn't say that I agreed with everything in this book. Nor can I say that I devoured it with the rate I would have if it would have been about someone that wasn't real and not of Someone who is real and whose life I have read lots about.

I will say that it was neat because it helped me to see Jesus life before His time had come to teach and heal in the world. It shows Him as being a human, which He was. It shows His trials as a real man, helping me know that He truly suffered like each of us
Janice
Dec 19, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
A great story of what Christ's life before his ministry might have been like.
Lori
Jul 22, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
It's fun to think of what Jesus' younger years may have been like....
Bonita
Mar 30, 2012 Bonita rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing continuation of the original "Two From Galilee". You can't read one without reading the other to get the full story, so don't expect to read only one of them. I read these when they first came out, and since then have moved many times and lost my copies. But I'm seriously considering buying another copy of each to reread them with my daughter. Great story that brings the story of Jesus to life in our imaginations. It also gives us details on what life was like when Jesus ...more
Nickole Backman
Jan 03, 2010 Nickole Backman rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed her writing, but since we know nothing of Jesus' life from 12 -30, I couldn't get past the idea that it was only her interpretation of what happened. I especially couldn't believe that he would fall madly in love in 3 short days and that he knew so little about his mission here on earth. His encounter with Satan at the end did help me visualize the possibility of what might have happened then. I read Two from Galilee many years ago, but with that book we had more facts to base the stor ...more
Judy Kitchen
It did not pass my 50 page test.....but that doesn't mean it won't pass yours
Megan
Sep 08, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok
While I lovelove, Two from Galilee, the love story of Mary and Joseph, Three left me feeling a little apostate and full of speculation. The author obviously does not claim to know anymore about the life of Christ than any of the rest of us but I felt like she used more liberties than she should have. I liked the daily life kind of pictures it painted but as for the rest it was a little off. I'll stick to the love story.
Whitney
Jan 09, 2008 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my very very favorite books. It is a fictional novel based on the old testament account of the birth of Christ. It mostly focuses on the story of Mary and Joseph, which makes it a great love story that is a definate must read for December. It is sure to get you into the Christmas mood!
Bonnie
Jun 02, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was ok
I actually stopped reading this book, and I didn't finish it. Not to say that I won't finish it, but it's not on my list right now. It's very slow, and the print is small and the pages are small and yellowed in the copy I have. It's just not pulling me in right now.
Connie
Nov 24, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing
This was also a very fun read giving you a glimpse (albeit fictional) into what life may have been like for a young Jesus. Showing that he had a grandpa and a life before he began his ministry. I love this book.
Katie
Mar 25, 2008 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first few pages of this book because in the first few pages I found that I really didn't like it. It makes Marys mother Hannah delusional and her family disfunctional and I just didn't like it.
Charlynn
Jul 12, 2010 Charlynn rated it really liked it
It's historical fiction about the life of Jesus Christ before his ministry. It was interesting to read one authors' take on the life of the Savior and his very normal yet extraordinary existence.
Kathy
Apr 02, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this story takes place after Jesus is born and is told from the teenage Jesus's perspective. Marjorie Holmes gives an interesting twist to how He grew up. great read!
Diane
Aug 24, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Another wonderful novel about how Jesus' life might have been. She begins when the little family returns from exile and goes until He starts his ministry.
Sonya
Jun 17, 2010 Sonya rated it really liked it
It was interesting to think about possibly Christ's life could have been like since we really have no ideas about the day-to day minutiae.
Mary Etta
May 30, 2010 Mary Etta rated it liked it
December book group read. I liked this fictional series account of what might have been in the unknown parts of Jesus Christ's life.
Katie
Oct 23, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
I liked this book, but there were some things about Jesus growing up that I don't imagine as having happened that way.
Karen
May 16, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Nice story to give a great flavor of the world in which Jesus grew up. I like the flavor given to Mary especially.
Linda
Aug 10, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
I read this after the story of Mary and Joseph by the same author
Diane
Dec 30, 2007 Diane rated it did not like it
About Jesus and his parents. I almost fell asleep several times.
Kathy
Feb 20, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Just as solid as the first book, Two From Galilee.
Judy
This was interesting but not as good as the first book.
Leasa
Jan 19, 2010 Leasa rated it it was amazing
What a great trilogy! I love these books!!!
Toni
May 05, 2010 Toni rated it liked it
This was a nice easy read. I enjoyed the book.
Betsy
Nov 28, 2007 Betsy rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as "Two From Galilee."
Tammy Decker
Tammy Decker marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • The Big Fisherman
  • Brothers (Legacies of the Ancient River #2)
  • Millie's Steadfast Love (A Life of Faith: Millie Keith #5)
  • Self Raised
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)
  • The Song of Ruth
  • He Who Lifts the Skies (Genesis, #2)
  • Greater Health God's Way: Seven Steps to Inner and Outer Beauty
  • The Last Sacrifice
  • Julie
  • Flight to Eden
  • The Story of the Other Wise Man
  • The Master's Wall (Iron & the Stone #1)
  • Heart of the Sandhills (Dakota Moons #3)
  • The Landlady's Master
Marjorie Holmes (1910—2002) was an American columnist and best-selling Christian author of 134 books, 32 of which were best sellers. Holmes is known best for her biblical trilogy which began with the novel Two From Galilee, a love story about Mary and Joseph, published by Fleming H. Revell.
More about Marjorie Holmes...