Start by marking “Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 01 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 01 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #1)

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 01 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,374 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
While the day belongs to humans, the night belongs to yokai, supernatural creatures that thrive on human fear. Caught between these worlds is Rikuo Nura. He's three-quarters human, but his grandfather is none other than Nurarihyon, the supreme commander of the Nura clan, a powerful yokai consortium. So, Rikuo is an ordinary teenages three quarters of the time, until his yo ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by VIZ Media (first published August 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nura

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoFairy Tail, Vol. 01 by Hiro MashimaBleach, Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Best Manga Series
34th out of 171 books — 213 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
271st out of 867 books — 3,253 voters

More lists with this book...

Nicola Mansfield
Mar 12, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: I love yokai! These are a class of spirits, demons, or monsters from Japanese folklore which range from evil to mischievous. Some are vile and wicked, others can be cute and fun. They can be anything from a massive ogre to an animated umbrella.

An exciting beginning to a new manga series! Riku is 3/4 human and grew up in a house full of yokai, his grandfather is the supreme commander of the Nura clan. Growing up Riku has heard all the tales and thinks that the yokai are cool,
Miriam
Dialog: silly.
MissAnnThrope
25 January 2013

Creepers! But oh so fun!

Nura: Rise of the Yôkai Clan, Volume 1: Becoming the Lord of Pandemonium is an impressive debut manga that weaves old Japanese folklore into a modern twist of a ghoulish action-adventure. Rikuo Nura is the grandson of Nurarihyon, the Yôkai Supreme Commander. Nura is three-quarters human, and a quarter yôkai. His childhood ambition is to become the Third Yôkai Supreme Commander.

That is, until the day he tells his classmates who his grandfather is and they al
Feather Mista
Voy a tratar de darle un par de tomos más de changüí, pero si me tengo que basar en lo que se ve en este: otro shonen genérico más con protagonista contradictorio y secundarios medio mamarrachescos. Agarré la serie porque leí que el autor había sido asistente de Hirohiko Araki en Steel Ball Run pero, al menos hasta ahora, mucha influencia del maestro no se le ve. De todos modos este tomo termina con un secuestro que quiero creer que concluye en el que viene, así que espero no colgarla demasiado.
Jessica
Jun 12, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, manga, 2012
Now I don't usually review books I've read, and especially not manga, but I think this series deserves a special mention. I was trolling for manga to read at the library, and I'd already read all my favourite series at least twice. Now this series had just arrived, and although I was sceptical, I decided to give the first one a try. It was definitely not what I expected. Now Nura, the protagonist, is three quarters human, and one quarter yokai, and his grandfather is the supreme commander of the ...more
Angelica
Mar 09, 2012 Angelica rated it really liked it
I really admired this book! In the previous books and now, a 14 year old boy named "Rikuo" was living in a mansion full of demons(yokai). When he was young, he was very enthusiastic of telling everyone that his grandpa is the lord of all yokai. Many kids thought he was lying of course, since no-one believed in supernatural beings and only believed that they were just a myth. As Rikuo grew up, he wanted to be human as everyone else because his most trusted friend "Kana" told him that they were s ...more
Meida Widy
Oct 20, 2014 Meida Widy rated it liked it
Nura, bocah lelaki keturunan 1/4 *Yokai. rumah nura merupakan markas yokai, kakeknya sendiri adalah komandan tertinggi klan yokai. Saat diminta jd penerus klan yokai nura nya g mau. komik ini nyeritain pergelutan antara nura dan 1/4 yokai yg ada di badannya.

*Yokai itu kaya roh/setannya jepang

tp yokai di komik ini agak2 konyol ya :D , jadi ga da serem2nya deh, paling suka waktu perubahan karakter nura jd yokai, jd keren ih kirain bakal absurd kaya yokai2 karakter lain ;)

Lumayan lah ceritanya, cum
Ash
Sep 22, 2015 Ash rated it it was amazing
*This series is receiving a solid 5 star rating and this review will be placed on every volume for organizational purposes.*
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, or just titled Nurarihyon No Mago ("Nurarihyon's Grandson", if I'm not mistaken) is something very dear to my heart. For one thing, I have never ever loved something so unconditionally that I would watch the anime in days and read the manga in days. I have loved many, many series, but not to where I actually felt the need to watch and read ever
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

While the day belongs to humans, the night belongs to yokai,supernatural creatures that thrive on human fear. Caught between these worlds is Rikuo Nura. He's three-quarters human, but his grandfather is none other than Nurarihyon, the supreme commander of the Nura clan, a powerful yokai consortium. So, Rikuo is an ordinary teenages three quarters of the time, until his yokai blood awakens. Then Rikuo transforms into the future leader of the Nura clan, leading a hundred demons.

My Thought
Swiftsea
Mar 10, 2012 Swiftsea rated it liked it
Recommended to Swiftsea by: Animax, Mangafox
Credits to Animax for proper promotion and publicity of this story.
Seeing all the television ads made me think it as cheesy; having not managed to watch the episodes on screen, I decided to read the manga after finally wanting to settle my question of, "Why does mangafox keep showing this manga as HOT?" The single episode, which only now I've come to figure out as Episode 2, didn't do much to improve my opinion of the anime back in January of this year.
But boy did the manga manage to flip my p
Gabriel
May 13, 2014 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Nura has always had trouble accepting who he truly is, even with his peculiar family for proof. After his constant denial his characterization improves and he gains a new power no one expected. Exciting tale for shounen and supernatural lovers.
Matthew
Apr 09, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
A relatively fun Manga about a teen named Nura who is secretly the heir to the title of leader of a powerful clan of Yokai (a japanese spirit or demon). Trouble is Nura is 3/4 human so the clan is largely not supportive of his taking over. And Nura himself just wants to be a normal high school kid. This first volume is primarily a comedy as Nura's two worlds keep colliding, but it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger that hints at some more heavy-duty, supernaturally powered action. While this didn't ...more
Dani
From the first chapter, I actually didn't much like Rikuo, the protagonist! Nor any of the other humans in the story. BUT, I really love his yokai retainers and the first time his yokai half came out was so awesome! I was really drawn in when the Daruma talked about the different yokai then was shocked when Rikuo's yokai was "one who can evoke awe, even among humans. One who can be revered." So the only thing making me endure the stupid human Rikuo is learning about the yokai Rikuo who only come ...more
Sara
The concept to this was interesting and I would like to read more of the series. Rikuo Nura is part human and part yokai (supernatural creatures that prey on human fear). Rikui's grandfather is trying to pass on the yokai clan and it's role as leader to Rukui, he rebels.

However, even though he rebels, there are moments when he turns into a yokai leader and had incredible strength. I want to see more of this side of him.

Dude- creepy doll scene. Just a warning...it'll scare the shit out of you. U
Dorcas
Apr 06, 2011 Dorcas rated it liked it
The story line is fun: juggling being the yokai king or a normal human. The character designs are a little wacky though. On one side, you'll have round faces, big eyes, and on the other you'll have detailed/etched features. And I'm not just referring to the youkai who can get really bizarre and horrific looking, but to some of the humans. It's most apparent to me in the Kiyotsugu character design. There's something odd about his face that makes it look like Kiyotsugu and Nura are from two differ ...more
Nura
Apr 04, 2013 Nura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
ngobatin kangen setelah kekkaishi tamat. kangen sama yokai yang lucu-lucu. grafisnya rada-rada mirip gitu. dan satu lagi namanya itu loh: nura. hahaha... narsis, setelah nura di kekkaishi (yg ternyata adalah yokai yang sakti), yang ini lebih sakti lagi, habis bisa mimpin Hyakkiyakō (Parade Seratus Setan, free style translation). baca komik ini berasa belajar mitologi Jepang. jadi makin kepengen belajar bahasa Jepang. resolusi taon depan ah...

***

akhirnya diterbitin di Indonesia sama m&c! dan
Domini Phillips
Apr 05, 2014 Domini Phillips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
The story is still young, but I am loving the yokai.
Dolores
Mar 13, 2016 Dolores rated it it was amazing
A very promising start. I really liked this one.
Tony Kudo
Sep 18, 2014 Tony Kudo rated it really liked it
Good
Guguk
Nov 09, 2015 Guguk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awalnya aku kepancing kehebohan di jadwal terbit dan 'terjerumus' dalam dunia yokai ini~

Dan awalnya (lagi) aku kecewa sama gambarnya, adegan pertempurannya kurang jelas (imho)...

Tapi, setelah ngikutin terus (sampe saat ini yang sudah terbit vol.11) makin lama makin seru ngikutin ceritanya dan makin suka sama gaya gambarnya.., yokai-yokai-nya digambar dengan mempesona!!^..^)/

Gambar : 4 bintang
Cerita : 4 bintang
Ashlet
Aug 28, 2012 Ashlet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
hey chapter 0 is not present here! never mind, i've read the chapter 1 i think the manga is good but i like the yokai nura much more than the human one coz' its way cooler. again i didn't understand it completely but that happens to me at the beginning of every manga i read.
but i think i'm getting it...
Brian
Nov 21, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
First Act was not what I was expecting from a cover that looks like it is about Feudal Japan and an older protagonist. The story begins with our hero as only 6 years old. But quickly jumps to him being 12. Not sure if I will read the rest of the series especially at $10 a volume...yikes!
Madkropotkin
May 06, 2011 Madkropotkin rated it liked it
It started off really slow and boring I trudged on because I hate stopping midway, my tenacity paid off. The story was cool and fun and found a book my daughter is going to love reading once I teach her how to read in a manga format.
Khris
Aug 08, 2012 Khris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Graphic Novels
It took me a long time to read this because we were moving and we just didnt have a whole lot of time to read and we had packed up this book a few days before we were due to move....
Richard
Mar 29, 2012 Richard rated it liked it
Listen to Episode 11 of ComicPop Library for the review. You can tune in on iTunes or visit our site at comicpoplibrary.com and find it in the podcast tab.
Hailey
Aug 26, 2011 Hailey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I watched the anime first and I noticed some differences in the anime than in the manga, but other than that its great!
Mayank Agarwal
Mar 28, 2013 Mayank Agarwal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A Typical Action Manga with its share of jokes and character growth. Didnt have anything outstanding.
Cindy
Sep 06, 2011 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing. I loved all the characters especially Rikuo. Lovely book, I absolutely LOVE IT!!
Amaxchan
Amazing, funny and refreshing.
Ronelle
Dec 30, 2015 Ronelle rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 01 (Kekkaishi, #1)
  • Karakuridôji Ultimo, #2
  • Psyren #01: Urban Legend
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 2
  • Kasumi, Volume 1 (Kasumi, #1)
  • NORA: The Last Chronicle of Devildom, Vol. 1 (Nora, #1)
  • Phantom Thief Jeanne, Vol. 1
  • Ral & Grad, Volume 1
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! R, Volume 1 (Yu-Gi-Oh! R, #1)
  • Two Flowers for the Dragon, Vol. 1
  • Silver Diamond, Volume 01: Silver Seed
  • Beelzebub, Band 1 (Beelzebub, #1)
  • The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Volume 1
  • Whistle!, Vol. 1
  • Blood Lad Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 3: Letter Bee
  • Elemental Gelade, Volume 1
  • AiON Volume 1

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 02 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #2)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 03 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #3)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 04 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #4)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 05 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #5)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 06 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #6)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 07 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #7)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 08 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #8)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 09 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #9)
  • Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Vol. 10 (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #10)
  • ぬらりひょんの孫 11 [Nurarihyon No Mago] (Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, #11)