Start by marking “Secretariat” as Want to Read:
Secretariat

Secretariat

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  8,027 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
The book is used, but still in good condition. Tight binding and clean pages. It looks just like on the picture. I will ship the next day with tracking number.
Published August 31st 2010 by Hyperion (first published March 21st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Secretariat, please sign up.

Jessica If you want to read the book online you will have to find it somewhere else. Goodreads does not have online books to read. It is for keeping track of…moreIf you want to read the book online you will have to find it somewhere else. Goodreads does not have online books to read. It is for keeping track of books, reviews, etc.(less)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
This story of 1973 triple crown winner Secretariat is packed with statistics on blood lines & racing stats; William Nack really knows his stuff. However, it is not a dry read at all. His behind the scenes look at the world of horse breeders is fascinating. I particularly liked his spin on the owner Helen Tweedy (aka Penny Chenery), and thought it pretty cool that both the jockey & trainer were Canadians. Now I know what “going the distance” really means, and it’s got nothing to do with F ...more
Lucinda
Jul 31, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A legend is born…

A true story of a remarkable Thoroughbred racehorse that has now also been made into a film for the big screen, Secretariat has to be one of my favorite books on racing ever written. Equivalent to works such as Seabiscuit, Arle and Red Rum this racehorse’s story is one that is heartwarming, magical and truly inspirational proving that the sky is the limit. Fast-paced at a thrilling gallop this story maintains its momentum throughout, where you ultimately loose yourself within th
Deborah
Jun 03, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you see the movie? I did, and can definitely say that the 'feel good' movie barely touched the surface of Secretariat and all that was going on before and around him....and was written by William Nack, who was a new Turf Reporter when Secretariat made his 2-year old appearance. So impressed, he decided to keep a journal and a side-focus on Secretariat for the long term.

Therefore, this book starts with the history of the major players in Secretariat's life. The Chenery family, and how The Mea
Wendy
2.5?

Maybe it's not fair to compare Secretariat to Seabiscuit, but here I go. While I can't judge who would have won in a race between the two horses, one's story is far superior, and that is Seabiscuit's.

Secretariat came from basically a royal bloodline, he was big and beautiful and upon his death was discovered to have an enlarged heart which may have been what helped him run so fast. I can appreciate that he was quite an amazing animal and probably pretty wonderful to watch (I haven't actuall
Mario
Nov 03, 2011 Mario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like History or Sports. People who wanted more from the movie.
Recommended to Mario by: Andy Ihnatko
Shelves: audio-books
I picked up Secretariat for different reasons than most. It had nothing to do with Diane Lane or the Disney movie. I don't really even like horse racing. But a gentlemen I trust recommended it to me on Twitter. Andy Ihnatko (@Ihnatko) included this book as one of his Audible.com Picks of the Week. Having a stack of credits to burn through, I decided to give it a listen.

Secretariat begins slowly. You begin with a thorough foundation of lineage. At first that put me off. Why do I care about horse
Marie
May 28, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I liked it a lot more than the movie. I think that if you are a person who is not 'into horses' or does not know a lot about horses, you will like the movie better. This book is so well researched and filled with every single fact you could imagine, but could get confusing if you are not into horses and racing. Great writing, captured me within the first 3 chapters. I learned a lot about racing history in that time period and some of the facts stunned me. This book is a great collect ...more
Rachelle
Mar 26, 2011 Rachelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really thought I would like this book and couldn't wait to read it but then once I started to read it I realized it was not at all what I expected. There were times in the book when I thought I was reading Genisis when they were going through the lineage of the horses. I really don't understand or care who parented who. I also am not into horse racing so all the timing and how they placed them in the race was foreign to me. I should take the time to learn something new but horse racing is at t ...more
Julia Langevin
Jun 12, 2014 Julia Langevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I've always had a love for race horses since my first horse was a OTTB turned eventing horse. The author does an amazing job of sharing Secretariat's story, and the love he had for this horse really showed throughout the entirety of the book. It was amazing to read about his journey leading up to the triple crown, and continuing on after the triple crown. I also learned a lot about the ins and outs of racing, and how even at the speed they're going, horses ca ...more
C
Do you like equine genealogy? This book is for you!
Do you love horse racing? This book is for you!
Do you like loads of minutiae detail? This book is for you!
If you don't mind a story that jumps around and shifts focus constantly than this book is for you!
Everyone else I would suggest reading a summary or doing a bit of Google research and call it quits. What a slog. Secretariat isn't even introduced until chapter SEVEN! I was so close to putting this one down.
This might be one of those times whe
Jan C
Oct 13, 2010 Jan C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan C by: Roger Ebert (in his blog)
Shelves: animal, non-fiction
What a wonderful read. What a wonderful horse. What wonderful memories come flooding back of watching him run in the Triple Crown. It is so very nice to see the behind-the-scenes story.

I had to laugh at the thought of the horse raking after watching one of the grooms raking. It made me laugh out loud.
Marnie
Apr 05, 2012 Marnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that the popular Disney movie was based on. How anybody was inspired to create a movie from this particular book I have no idea. The book was very dry and boring.
Michele A
Oct 28, 2010 Michele A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book a little slow reading in the beginning
Joy H.
May 05, 2011 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only  ·  review of another edition
Secretariat: The Making of a Champion by William Nack
Published 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published 1975)
Original title: Big Red of Meadow Stable
Added 5/5/11.
I did not read this book, but I saw the movie:
MOVIE: "Secretariat" (2010)
Stars: Diane Lane, John Malkovich and Margo Martindale
"Penny Chenery Tweedy and colleagues guide her long-shot but precocious stallion to set, in 1973, the unbeaten record for winning the
Holly
This is an excellent book and one of my favorite non-fiction books.

I was eight years old when Secretariat won the Triple Crown. The impression he made on me has lasted a lifetime and motivated me to start a career in horse racing. I have visited Claiborne Farms in Paris, Kentucky, I've seen the stall where he lived, the paddock where he romped and paid my respects at his grave. For me he is and always will be the ultimate racehorse. I regret that I did not visit him when he was still alive. App
Mundi
Sep 27, 2011 Mundi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book really took me back to being a horse-crazy 12-year-old who read every Marguerite Henry book I could get my hands on!

The first 3rd of this book was all about the background of the breeding operations - the horses themselves and the farms & families who bred them - that culminated in the big red colt. It kind of boils down to his sire, Bold Ruler who brought the speed, and his dam, Somethingroyal who brought the stamina, but it takes 100 pages to get there.

Then we go into Se
Kia
Nov 13, 2012 Kia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, an informative look into the life of one of the greatest racehorses in the history of the sport.

It was a quick read, and Nack's descriptions of the races almost feels like he puts you at the racetrack. Nack's writing style, however, put me off right from the prologue. I found myself rereading sentences that were arranged in strange ways or getting disrupted by new paragraphs that seemed out of context. I was also often frustrated by the lack of explanation for racing and breeding jargon
Gaile
I am not familiar with the race horse world having had little chance to be around horses in my life.
At first the book was confusing with the pedigrees and which horse was bred to which filly interspersed with the birth of Secretariat, a red colt sired by Bold Ruler. Called Big Red by his owners, the foal grows into a colt and exceeds everyone's expectations.
Losing only two races, he goes on to win the triple crown trophy, the last horse having won it being Man O' War, fifty years before. The rac
Annette
The first fifty-plus pages contain a detailed explanation of the lineage that led to Secretariat; the pedigree of the horse that in 1973 won all three races of the Triple Crown - - a feat not completed in twenty-five previous years or the thirty-eight-plus years that have followed. This book was the inspiration of the recent film of the same name. Bill Nack's biography does justice to the horse's amazing accomplishments. At this point, Secretariat is arguably the greatest racehorse of all time. ...more
Chana
The story of Secretariat is great but this book does not flow like a well written story. It veers between lots of names, dates, places, races; and a novel like attempt at description that often seems overdone, incongruous and unnecessary. I was glad that I did not have to take a test on it and was sorry it did not come with charts of bloodlines and race statistics. One of the problems with the writing, to my mind, was that he does not follow a timeline, he jumps back and forth in time in order ...more
Raven
Jul 07, 2014 Raven rated it really liked it

This biography is written in a narrative form which is very compelling and was difficult for me to put down. The skill and knowledge of this writer is such that despite knowing the outcome of most of the races, I was so wrapped up in the story that I felt suspense and concern over how Secretariat would place. Somehow, this was especially the case for the Triple Crown series, which of course is his claim to fame!
Sophie
Jul 20, 2015 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Mostly poor writing and a lot of minutia...I realize that horse racing is a detailed, rich (RICH RICH RICH) person's game but this book could be summed up as "An amazing horse/ rich people problems." That being said, the racing scenes were exciting to read and Secretariat is incredible.
Kelly
Feb 25, 2011 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots of detail. Enjoyed the movie better
Mj
Mar 25, 2011 Mj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Horse race lovers or just horse lovers will enjoy this book immensely. The rest of us will enjoy the movie more.
Lkelley
Mar 22, 2011 Lkelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Almost done. Not a book I would recommend unless you like sports history...which I don't. Mostly about the lines of various horses.
Andee
Dec 07, 2016 Andee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Secretariat by William Nack is about a record breaking horse. Secretariat is a championship horse. It has been 70 years tell someone finally won the triple crown. Secretariat was also the first horse to beat the 2 minute mark. The book gives you the little details to Secretariat's win and what his owner did to make him this accomplished.

This is one of my favorite book I have read. It is just so cool and interesting. He won in such an isotonic way that he was remembered to this day.

I wo
Susan
May 31, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very thorough in regards to racing statistics and blood lines. Although very interesting and part of the overall history, some of the chapters on the stats slowed down the pace of the book a bit. This book will educate any reader about the business of breeding and racing. There is only one Secretariat and his life accomplishments are worth the read especially if you are a racing enthusiast.
Faith High School
May 10, 2017 Faith High School rated it it was amazing
I always loved the movie, but, like always, the book is so much better! You get into so much more detail and they really explain how his lineage played into making such a great racehorse. I would say if you have an interest in horses or horse racing this would be the perfect book for you!
Read by, Lenae
Jen Gomm
Jan 16, 2017 Jen Gomm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was better than the movie, although I have to admit to a horse-lover bias. The detail is incredible and the racing scenes are written so well you feel as if you're sitting in the grandstand watching!
Glenn
Jun 12, 2017 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story well told. A fun read.
Kate Chambers
I wanted a story, what I got was a logbook and a ledger.
William Nack in his prime 3 10 Mar 22, 2014 01:22PM
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Centered Riding
  • The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation
  • Stud: Adventures in Breeding
  • My Guy Barbaro: A Jockey's Journey Through Love, Triumph, and Heartbreak with America's Favorite Horse
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Native Dancer: The Grey Ghost: Hero of a Golden Age
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Man O'War
  • Wild Ride: The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm, Inc., America's Premier Racing Dynasty
  • Secretariat
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them
William Nack is an American journalist and author. He wrote about sports, politics and the environment at Newsday for 11 years before joining the staff of Sports Illustrated in 1978 as an investigative reporter and general feature writer.

Since leaving S.I. in 2001, Nack has freelanced for numerous publications, including GQ and ESPN.com. He also served as an adviser on the made-for-TV-movie Ruffia
More about William Nack...

“Weave for the mighty chestnut
A tributary crown
Of autumn leaves, the brightest then
When autumn leaves are brown
Hang up his bridle on the wall,
His saddle on the tree,
Till time shall bring some racing king
Worthy to wear as he!”