Start by marking “The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own” as Want to Read:
The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own

The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  7 reviews

More than ever, Americans are realizing that if we want to keep this country great, we must be citizen patriots. And here’s the handbook every citizen patriot needs: The Essential American, featuring the fundamental documents of our nation’s history.
Compiled by syndicated columnist Jackie Gingrich Cushman and featuring a foreword by her father—bestselling author and former
Published November 23rd 2010 by Regnery Publishing (first published November 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential American

Given the limits in publishing a book of speeches and documents, choices had to be made, and in this case, I can't say I agreed with all the choices. Part of what rubbed me wrong on this was that some of the choices were of historic interest, but the speeches or documents were given in their entirety. This is one case when I'd be all for an abridgement -- our founding fathers really liked to pontificate. I listened to this as an audiobook, and I wasn't expecting someone to read me the entire Con ...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it is fantastic. It is amazing how far away we are from what the founding fathers and authors of The Constitution of The United States of America intended and wrote so many years ago.

The speeches are great as well as the history of each written by Jackie Gingrich Cushman.

The narrators were great. Every American should listen to this, especially now, given the current political climate that swirls around us, the States, and the Nation.
I found this book down at Half Price Books on accident. It is really a neat book. There are some excellent speeches in here, many of which I have never read, and a couple I have never even heard of. I always find the fact that I have not been exposed to these pieces of American history when I have a bachelor degree in political science and a minor in history unfortunate, but it is not surprising. Just proof that if I am "educated" in those areas, the average American who just has basic course in ...more

Hypocrisy is rife throughout the analysis. The quality of the historical Documents earned this book an extra point for me, but all men created equal stands out without a single word of slavery or of the lack of equality for women (despite the fact that the author is a woman).

I agree with the main premise that every American should read these documents, but no one should be subjected to the commentary that blabs on in between these works of art.

I suggest finding out which documents this book look
I listened to this book. It was much more impressive to hear the speeches.
Ralph L Angelo Jr.
An amazing 'MUST READ' for any true patriotic American! If you love this country, read this book and be inspired!
Mark Sweet
I loved this book a great read for a anyone who loves history
John marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Mike marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Daniel Hauff-Lazar
Daniel Hauff-Lazar marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Chris is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2015
Karen Carr
Karen Carr marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Michael Meder
Michael Meder marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Michel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014