Start by marking “The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own” as Want to Read:
The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own

The Essential American: 25 Documents and Speeches Every American Should Own

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews

More than ever, Americans are realizing that if we want to keep this country great, we must be citizen patriots. And here’s the handbook every citizen patriot needs: The Essential American, featuring the fundamental documents of our nation’s history.
Compiled by syndicated columnist Jackie Gingrich Cushman and featuring a foreword by her father—bestselling author and former
Published November 23rd 2010 by Regnery Publishing (first published November 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential American

Jay
Given the limits in publishing a book of speeches and documents, choices had to be made, and in this case, I can't say I agreed with all the choices. Part of what rubbed me wrong on this was that some of the choices were of historic interest, but the speeches or documents were given in their entirety. This is one case when I'd be all for an abridgement -- our founding fathers really liked to pontificate. I listened to this as an audiobook, and I wasn't expecting someone to read me the entire Con ...more
Andrew
I found this book down at Half Price Books on accident. It is really a neat book. There are some excellent speeches in here, many of which I have never read, and a couple I have never even heard of. I always find the fact that I have not been exposed to these pieces of American history when I have a bachelor degree in political science and a minor in history unfortunate, but it is not surprising. Just proof that if I am "educated" in those areas, the average American who just has basic course in ...more
Dougmolineux

Hypocrisy is rife throughout the analysis. The quality of the historical Documents earned this book an extra point for me, but all men created equal stands out without a single word of slavery or of the lack of equality for women (despite the fact that the author is a woman).

I agree with the main premise that every American should read these documents, but no one should be subjected to the commentary that blabs on in between these works of art.

I suggest finding out which documents this book look
Erich
I listened to this book. It was much more impressive to hear the speeches.
Ralph L Angelo Jr.
An amazing 'MUST READ' for any true patriotic American! If you love this country, read this book and be inspired!
Mark Sweet
I loved this book a great read for a anyone who loves history
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Michael Meder
Michael Meder marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Michel
Michel marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Francis
Francis marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Gaylen Miller
Gaylen Miller marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
David Wygant
David Wygant marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
JENNIFER
JENNIFER marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Kristine Rier
Kristine Rier marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Ron
Ron added it
Jan 06, 2014
Mark Masters
Mark Masters marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Sam Honeycutt
Sam Honeycutt marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013