Start by marking “Tumbler” as Want to Read:
Tumbler

Tumbler

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Libby Carter wanted to get away from it all, so she took a job mining asteroids as far out into the inky blackness as possible. However, her escape turned into a trap, leaving her stuck in indentured servitude, living on a tiny rock in space. As she tries to dig herself out, she gains friends and finds adventure. Cave-in rescues, planetary collisions, and other mishaps kee ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Createspace (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tumbler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tumbler

DDog
Oct 30, 2010 DDog rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to DDog by: Brand Gamblin
This book was a real treat. At less than 200 pages, I breezed through it in a few hours, my attention completely focused on it the whole time I was reading. The pace is perfect—as soon as Libby thinks she might have a handle on her life, something crashes and she is forced to reevaluate and find a solution. I had to keep turning pages to find out what would happen next, and I really came to care about the characters by the end. The only thing that was a little confusing was the time jumps betwee ...more
James Newman
Tumbler by Brand Gamblin is a very good read. It is well-paced and (like most good science fiction) is more about people handling a situation than the technology and gadgetry. I plan to get a hard copy for my wife and daughter. "Heinlein-esque" is a good description, as it echoes his admiration for strong, independent characters, but offers better insights on communities.
Kate Sherrod
Like Heinlein's juveniles before it, and also like pal Nathan Lowell's excellent Solar Clipper series, Brand Gamblin's TUMBLER is not so much an action tale as a story of a young person learning her place in the world -- or in this case, in the Solar System. Libby Carter comes out to the Asteroid Belt to make her fortune as a miner, but is quickly disillusioned as to how easy it is *not* to go about doing so. Quickly exiled to a tiny shack on a tiny asteroid that spins so rapidly that her home l ...more
Allison
Jun 15, 2010 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: reviewed
Tumbler is a scifi novel that is very Heinlein-esque. Small time main character works through struggles and makes good encapsulates the plot. But the story itself, while excellent, is not as exciting as watching the characters.

Libby, the heroine, is a young girl who has no idea how the world works. She loses her mother and then jumps head long into a deep space mining conglomerate hoping to somehow make good through hard work alone. Unfortunately, what she doesn't know just might kill her. If t
Paulette Jaxton
Tumbler is the kind of sci-fi novel that makes you wonder what living and working in outer space would really be like. The chances of mankind having any grand space battles anytime soon aren't likely, but the sort of future author Brand Gamblin paints in Tumbler is within our grasp if we but choose to reach for it.

Not that life for main character Libby Carter is all that rosy. Lured into space by big corporate promises of free land and easy riches, she soon discovers that only hard work and pers
Kathy
40 Acres and a Mule......the Guide for Blue Collar Working-People

This book has been on my radar for a while now. However, I have no interest in reading young adult books, so I was so surprised when I threw caution to the wind and decided to give this book a chance. Actually, I think the description for this book is incorrect. It definitely can be for adults and also young adults.

I would categorize this as a light SF read. The story takes place in space in one of the astroid belts; however, the a
David King
Full review can be found on my blog : http://killie-booktalk.blogspot.com/

Brand Gamblin's "Tumbler" is an enjoyable light Sci-Fi adventure that is fundamentally about a young character facing struggles as she attempts to find her place in the Universe.

The first thing that came to mind as I read this book was the Sci-Fi TV series called "Firefly". Not because of the space ships or anything like that, but because this book really grabbed that "western in space" and "life on the frontier" vibe that
David Wuensche
I purchased the Nook version of this novel.

There was a time when most science fiction on television was referred to as "westerns in space". Brand Gamblin's "Tumbler" falls in a similar vein, but does a better job of including a modern understanding of life in outer space.

Tumbler tells the story of Elizabeth "Libby" Carter, a woman tricked into taking a job as a deep-space miner in exchange for a chance to work an asteroid of her own. Naturally, work is sparse and her rock leaves much to be desir
Kelly
What a fun book. I seriously don't remember the last time I read a straight sci-fi book (you know, one without sexy shenanigans in the cockpit of a spaceship) and this one was pretty darn fabulous. Brand Gamblin built an interesting, compelling world full of characters that you'd expect to meet while walking down the street.

I really can't think of any part of the book that lagged or lost my interest. I was glued to the book from Libby's first experience after arriving at her new home. Watching h
Marva
Jul 10, 2011 Marva rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard science fiction fans
I liked this hard scifi about asteroid miners because it felt so authentic to me. I read a lot of SF, so I've got enough book learning to appreciate how a person gets around in zero gravity, and the effects of even small amounts of gravity. The mining methods and equipment certainly rang true.

I'd say this is actually two books, but that's not a complaint. There's a quite satisfying climax and potential ending about halfway through. I almost expected to turn the page and find another book or even
Rosaleen Mccarthy
What a gem! Lovely writing, plenty of adventure and action - but nothing to worry parents by way of attitudes, activity, language or morality. I've been unwell and needed some relaxing escapism and this is PERFECT. I'm currently most of the way through Podiobooks.com's audio version - which is beautifully read and produced.
I discovered Tumbler via a recommendation from Nathan Lowell (author/reader of the Trader's Tale series). Brand Gamblin's style is pretty similar and readers who like Nathan'
Jeffrey Hite
When Libby Carter finds herself stranded in indentured servitude she finds that hard work and a willingness to do what is right is just the remedy she needs. I listened this book first when I downloaded it from podiobooks.com. But as soon as I was done I knew it was a book my kids would really enjoy. It had all the elements that they love in a book dad is going to read them at bed time.
The story itself is fast paced and easy to follow, perfect for a wide range of readers including moms or dads w
Steve Pritchard
A wonderful YA SF novel of an orphaned young girl venturing into the high frontier of asteroid mining, finding hardship, heartbreak, and in the end, the richest strike of all. Brand Gamblin's TUMBLER brings back memories of reading some of Heinlein's juvies, and proves that SF is not a dead genre.
Nathan Lowell
I really like this book. I should disclose that I helped edit it and have been involved with it for a while. There *are* some problems with the physics but the story of Libby and how she deals with the reality of her situation.
Lahni
I really didn't have high expectations for this book. It filled a reading challenge for me and I honestly thought I would end up skimming parts of it. But I actually enjoyed it. A nice surprise that I recommended to my kids.
Niles Stonne
Quite an enjoyable listen (I listened to the podcast). I found this through Nathan Lowell's blog.
Hector Sosa
This is a very well written story. I was surprised several times, as I wasn't expecting a few of the plot twists. Science fiction story set in an asteroid belt.
Darryl
Jan 19, 2013 Darryl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of a friend, Brand. He writes sci-fi now, and used to do radio shows, among other things.
Jacob Cruzan
This is a great space adventure. Thrilling and leaves you guessing to the end. I can't wait for the sequel!
Dave
A heartwarming story of a prospector in a future asteroid belt mining community.
Johnna Cornett
fun juvenile space adventure. Too bad my kids don't enjoy science fiction as I do.
Ashley
I really liked this book. It is a good fun read. Highly recommended
Charles Anderson
Fun, and quick read. Enjoyed it a lot.
Mike
Carlissa
I listened to the podcast version of this book. I enjoyed the story very much. This story reminded me of Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell.

I didn't care for the narrator's (SV Allie) voice very much, and the recaps at the beginning of each episode were annoying. Although I love audiobooks and podcasts, I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had actually read it instead of listening to it.
Jessica Woodbury
Another case of my year of harsh judgments. But quality is the idea here and I'm sticking with it.

I didn't hate the book. (I save that for 1 star reviews.) But I felt like it was seriously repetitive. Our heroine, Libby, who wants to make her fortune but has no way to do it, learns the same lesson about 85 times in this book. She also suffers from that syndrome common in YA of protagonists who just happen to be astonishingly brilliant at the very thing they happen to be doing.

The people-are-mor
Paul Tarvin
I felt that this was an outstanding book. It kept my attention all thought the book. I am going to read some more books by Brand Gamblin. He is very good.
Jim Brown
Wow good story but physics issues

This was such a good story that I hate giving it such a low rating. But it is so full of holes with what is going on. I talking about the way gravity works in this book just comes off as so far out there. But it was such a good story. I mean read it you won't regret it. Heck I'm giving another star what the heck.
Helen
Two chapters in, and I can't stand the narrator. Nor the main character.

Abandoned.
  • Full Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #3)
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Digital Magic (Fey #2)
  • Peace Warrior
  • Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • 2184
  • The Gearheart
  • The Spider and the Fly (The Spiderverse Saga, #1)
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • A Larger Universe
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Burden of Sisyphus (Brink of Distinction, #1)
Brand Gamblin was born in San Antonio in 1973. He spent most of his youth in Texas, earning a bachelors degree in Computer Science from Texas Tech University.

Following college, he achieved his boyhood dream of working as a video game programmer. For the next decade, he published games for such companies as Microprose, Acclaim, and Firaxis.

In his spare time, Brand created the YouTube video cult cla
More about Brand Gamblin...
The Hidden Institute (Noblesse Oblige, #1) Discount Miracles The Danny Invito Rex (Noblesss Oblige, #2) Give the Devil his Due