Start by marking “Stock Investing for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Stock Investing for Dummies

Stock Investing for Dummies (For Dummies)

Stock Investing For Dummies, 3rd Edition includes information on stock investing in both bear and bull markets; unique investment segments; stock investing for different types of situations; and examples straight from the real world of stock investing as they have occurred in the past three years.
Published January 27th 2009 by For Dummies (first published May 14th 2007)

Jeff Kelleher

Beginner look elsewhere.

The "Dummies" reference in the titles is irritating, but I am a fan of this series. The key to understanding any field of knowledge is "big picture first." That's what most Dummies books give us. Not this one, though. A veteran investor will find it aimless. A beginner will find it overwhelming.

The posture is that of the investment "professional" who is receiving a novice in his office. He is leaning back in his chair, his fingers in a steeple, his tone that of condescen
Christiaan
Nov 07, 2014 Christiaan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought it was a great read, and worth the time of anyone seeking financial independence. Mladjenovic not only teaches the necessary tools for wise stock investment, but financial security and a balanced portfolio at that. I went from knowing nothing about stocks to being a comfortably knowledgable beginning investor. The author doesn't talk over your head, and clearly spells out all concepts and mathematics in a simple and easily understood fashion. I recommend coupling this book with Investope ...more
Theigbobandit
Most of the basic info you need to invest in the stock market dumbed down a lot.

I think it could have been a lot shorter than 363 pages and can probably summarize the book in 20 pages
Monica Salamanca
Great book for any person that just started in the stock world

This is a grear book for any person that is looking for a good introduction on stocks. You will go back and check it out again. I recommend it
Patrik
Jun 05, 2014 Patrik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book it talks about how you can start off in the stock market and good ways to get rich off of it. This book isn't really a beginner book, but you have to have some background information on stocks to know what's going on. The beginning of the book talks about what a stock is. A stock is a investment in something. Nearly all big companies have a stock. Around the book it talks about how it is a very risky business and how you have to be careful. This book didn't tell me what stock to inv ...more
Eric
Sep 06, 2010 Eric rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with the unrestricted use of a time machine.
Unfortunately, I realized, by the second chapter, that I had aggressively invested my liquid working capital in an ill-advised public offering (this book). Although governmental actions compounded this failure, recurring debt was avoided. Both fundamental and technical research indicate that the book value listed exceeds the current market value, partially as a result of our long-term economic downturn. As my interest fluctuated, discipline was exercised (yes, I did read the whole book) and cons ...more
Alison
Jul 16, 2014 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was this my favorite book? Obviously, no. But it did increase my knowledge on investment terms and stock strategies by about 100%. I think it is great for anyone who like me just wanted to get some basic information. It does contain a lot of information on how to invest if you are approaching retirement, which wasn't really helpful for me, but could be useful to someone else.

I will warn you that the book is liberally peppered with puns and small bits of conservative bias (i.e. high taxes are te
Amr Khaled
I certainly didn't feel this book was for dummies. Not that I was clever, but the book is really too overwhelming for a beginner.

While the best thing on it was the website references, the clear advice, the big picture. But it was still too much to digest & too long to process.

Still the chapters regarding the "stop-order", "dividends", "economics", & "insiders" were good information. This just had to be said.
Arthur
Oct 07, 2015 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to the basics of investing in stocks but definitely not enough knowledge in here to give you the confidence to purchase. This book will give you pointers on what type of investing you should do based on your intentions but doesn't delve deep into them. Gives you quick summaries on how to read company financial statements and the like. Good book for introducing you to the basics.
Joseph Hargreaves
Sep 08, 2015 Joseph Hargreaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, relatively concise, introduction to investing for someone who knows nothing. A few chapter were skippable, but otherwise I would recommend for anyone looking for the fundamental insights into investing. Scratch the surface with this and then delve deeper.
Chad Lamb
Good guide to basic terms and understanding of stock investing. A little irritatingly repetitive at times but still a good guide. The author has great foresight about economic and market trends that did occur in the following years after this book came out.
Mohammad Kotb
Apr 23, 2015 Mohammad Kotb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book, I've learned a lot from it. And it's a kind of book that can be used as a reference and always check. And it's very good to read it all.
Mohit Shukla
Aug 31, 2014 Mohit Shukla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book to start with.
Mohammed
Jul 29, 2016 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A BEGINNER BOOK

this book can give any reader who's not really familiar with stock market, a good start in the journey of understanding how stock investment works

In the first half of the book, the author presented most of the options that an investor can utilize in the market, and he tried to facilitate exploring the options by directing the reader through his goals (reader's goals)

he also touched a lot of ways to analyze the market (either by fundamental or technical analysis) and guided the rea
Nic
Sep 16, 2014 Nic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked this up because I wanted to learn more about stocks and how the stock market works. It's a readable, informative book, but I ended up quitting halfway through because of a couple of conclusions I came to, namely:

1. I'm not likely to become involved in the stock market anytime soon

2. If/when I do, I can always grab this book (or another like it) to read then, and will also likely have broker-type people of whom I can ask questions

3. I've had this out of the library a long time, and shoul
melissa
Mar 21, 2009 melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a really basic book because I thought I knew nothing. Apparently, I knew a little more than nothing. But if you really need to know the basics so you can have some confidence getting started, this is the book. And, it was published in 2005, and in one of the final chapters, the author all but predicted the credit crash we're having now and explained why it would happen, so clearly, this guy knows what he's talking about.
Michelle
Sep 21, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: munny
Dummy, derived from old Sanford, meaning "son".
Paul is a value investor who's very comfortable with the subject. He gets five stars for calling the current financial cycle as similar to the late '70s (this he did during the bubble!) characterized by stagflation, dramatically risen oil and commodities prices, especially metals.Then he reaches how to navigate it. Prescient.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Esraa
Oct 08, 2016 Esraa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish the book because I am not ready to invest in the stockmarket now
but I know that when I am ready I will re-read this book in details
the book gives a fundemental basis for how stock market works
Drkazmd65
May 10, 2009 Drkazmd65 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good basic book - as one would expect - explaining the basics of stock buying for longer-term investing. I figure that I can't do a worse job than the 'professionals' that have been losing my ROTH money for the last couple of years.
Brock Steger
For dummies books are wonderfully consistent. Informative, filled with foundational knowledge and dry humor. Like a textbook, but readable. If one wants to learn more about stock investing, this is a good place to start.
Emily Jones
Feb 06, 2012 Emily Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book with a lot of good information. Especially helpful if you have a retirement mutual fund and you don't completely understand it! Good source of conservative information for those who are looking to invest not speculate.
Jay
May 13, 2013 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to get a taste of how to invest money in stocks.
Amirul
filled in some gaps, but I like the Motley Fool books better overall
Radek
Jul 20, 2012 Radek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investing
Really good book for someone who knows nothing about investing in stocks. For those who already know a little it may be a bit too basic.
Natali
Aug 29, 2011 Natali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great fast read for a brush-up on how the market works and some solid investment advice on how to diversify your money wisely.
PWRL
Apr 10, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Nuno Trigo
Jan 10, 2017 Nuno Trigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great start for the ones who think to start with stock investing! you dont need no background in the field to understand the concepts in the book
Partha
a very good intro book for investing...hey,I thought Bulls and Bears were sport team's mascots, not names of markets !
  • Investing For Dummies
  • Cooking Basics for Dummies
  • Negotiating For Dummies
  • Complete MBA For Dummies
  • International Management: Culture, Strategy, and Behavior

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies