Start by marking “Getting Started with Arduino” as Want to Read:
Getting Started with Arduino

Getting Started with Arduino

This valuable little book offers a thorough introduction to the open-source electronics prototyping platform that's taking the design and hobbyist world by storm. Getting Started with Arduino gives you lots of ideas for Arduino projects and helps you get going on them right away. From getting organized to putting the final touches on your prototype, all the information you ...more
Published February 9th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started with Arduino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started with Arduino

Jason Miller
Nov 20, 2010 Jason Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book in an effort to learn some electronics. I would have thought that a book about microprocessors and physical computing would be putting the cart before the horse in this regard, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the advice I'd been given was right - this is a nice way to learn about putting together circuits. That the circuits have sensors and require a bit of coding to get working make them even more fun (for me) to learn about.

This book is short, very straightf
Joseph Moskie
Only 90 pages of real text, the rest are appendices. There are also a lot of giant page-sized diagrams that aren't really all that needed.

All in all the book was a lot less technical than I had thought it would be. I was expecting something a little more in-depth, bridging the Arduino with the electronics themselves. All the book really ended up being was "make an LED blink, now make it blink with a button, now make it blink with a photosensor."

They briefly touched on what the ATMEGA chip was, a
Jun 01, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book to supplement the one that comes with the official arduino kit. It's not perfect, but for me it made a lot of things come together.

- as a very visually minded person, I found this book the most helpful of the ones I've seen (those being the official book and Jeremy Blum's) at explaining exactly how things work. It might seem overly simplistic or even a little patronizing by the time you get to the middle of the book, but that was what I needed to get the foundation required
Mar 02, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good introduction to the concepts of Arduino, from the founding master. Includes some philosophical 'fluff' as the author calls it, which is nonetheless useful, relevant and appropriate. No one else would have been able to convey that stuff, as to why the platform is like it is. The generalist diagram of sense/operate/output is fantastically useful as a concept for the platform modus operandi. Overall technically, the book is a well written overview of functions(), setup, pins, and the ...more
This starts really well with explaining what the Arduino is can can do. Some easy examples with a LED, a few wires and transistors -- that's all fine. I made it make a LED blink when I pressed a button! Now that's cool.

Then suddenly is talks about the Leonardo board, how much it rocks and is much better than the Uno, and the next step is buying a lamp from IKEA to get some lamp that connects to the internet. And the next chapter involves even more expansive parts. I still have stuff in my box I
Aug 25, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really an excellent book for arduino beginners. Be careful, however, if you're an engineer it specifically states that you aren't really the intended audience. The author, who is one of the leaders of the arduino project, recommends his book for designers and cracks a few jokes about engineers. The language can seem like you are being talked down to, but that could have just been because I have taken a C programming course in the past. There are a couple tutorials that are definitely us ...more
Todd N
Feb 22, 2013 Todd N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through this quick book last night instead of falling asleep. I didn't get much done at work today, but it was worth it.

This is a great introduction to the Arduino microcontroller project. It's as open source as all get out -- the hardware designs, the IDE, etc. are all under open source license. I saw a couple Arduino compatible boards at Fry's this week, and I've been debating buying one to fool around with it and to introduce my kids to the wonderful world of electronic prototyping on
Scott Cinsavich
Oct 13, 2014 Scott Cinsavich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
An indispensable introduction to Arduino and the Processing code used to program it. Saves quite a bit of time scrolling through the web. Also includes sample projects to get one started on this versatile and enjoyable product. It's an easy read.
c wylie misselhorn
I just skimmed this. It is an introductory look at a versatile electronics tinkering device. I will be getting one of these - it seems like a fun and interesting hobby.
Bradley Mcglothlin
Good tool

The appendixes are worth the purchase.
Thanks to Massimo for continuing to share with the open source community. I
Faisal Nawab
This book provides an introduction to Arduino. It is meant for an audience with no background in computer programming and hardware. It can be very boring and naive for a reader with background in programming/hardware. However, it would be really good for a geek-in-the-making teenager or a non-technical professional that would like to use micro-controllers in his field.

The book's method is a hand-on experience, mostly examples. It also provides information about the community and history of Ardui
Useful introduction, but you can probably find as good online or in the beginning chapters of a more comprehensive book. The last project in the second edition doesn't run without some tweaking--and even then it didn't entirely work for me. I got look at the newer (third) edition with added chapters on the Leonardo board and a more extensive project--its twice as thick, but the authors don't appear to have done much to update the older chapters.
Dec 06, 2014 to'c rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good and very quick intro to using the Arduino family of microcontrollers. Start with this one.
Kaptin Dandy
Aug 11, 2010 Kaptin Dandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone looking to learn about electronics. No prior knowledge is required. As the title says the book is about getting started with Arduino.

Quoting the Arduino website; "Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments."

This book takes you from the basics of electronics and blinking a small
Bill White
Jun 20, 2014 Bill White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little book for getting started with simple and cheap electronic controller circuits.
May 04, 2015 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arduino
Code coverage was too basic. Hardware coverage wasn't complex enough
Jun 13, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reference for Arduino.
John Purvis
Aug 08, 2014 John Purvis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to the Arduino.
Be Rajez
Apr 19, 2016 Be Rajez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for beginners
Feb 08, 2015 Zoubir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great into to Arduino programming, simple and clear.
C.E. G
Jan 05, 2013 C.E. G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really basic intro to Arduino. While it doesn't have enough meat to it to be the only beginner's guide you'll need, Banzi does explain things quite lucidly. Good companion to Beginning Arduino, which is the other guidebook I'm using right now.
Oct 01, 2012 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como artista le daría un 5 por lo fácil que es entenderlo. Como ingeniero le daría un 3 por lo fácil que es entenderlo. Completamente amigable con el usuario, accesible para cualquiera, noob o no. Es fácil encontrar ciertas cosas medio "para dummies" pero siendo objetivo resulta un buen libro para empezar. Punto medio de ingeniero/artista, 4 estrellas.
Well done smaller book that hits the nail on the head. I've been playing these processors for several years. The book has instantly been scooped up to be read by my youngest, who wants to do the projects! Since getting youngsters (and oldsters) to the experiment with Arduinos is the goal - it has hit a home run!
Jun 01, 2012 José rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro es muy simple y básico, una buena introducción a Arduino para quienes no poseen conocimientos de Electrónica. Para los lectores que si, es una muestra del potencial de este micro-controlador partiendo te las operaciones más simples que se pueden realizar.
Andrew Theken
Apr 24, 2011 Andrew Theken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice primer for doing something interesting things with an Arduino. Minimal treatment of the electronics principles, and limited coverage of electronic circuit schematics. Still, for the absolute beginner, this is a good, inexpensive introduction.
Dec 04, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and useful read. I can't say I've gained a huge amount from this book having taken a three hour Arduino course, but there is some useful background, hints and inspiration. Recommended if you've a complete Arduino novice.
Oct 05, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
informative and clever, this book pretty much gave me what I was expecting from it and I learned a few new extra things along the way. would have liked it to have been a little longer though, and to go into more complex projects.
Oct 06, 2011 -kevin- rated it liked it
A brief introduction that focuses on programming. I was hoping it would focus on electronics a bit more, but I think I learned what I needed plus a bit extra.

Now it is off to exploring and seeing if I can build a few toys.
Wayland He
This is an okay book for complete beginners who know nothing at all about electronics. I was hoping that they would go into a little bit more depth, but they just gave analogies for every electrical concept.
  • Getting Started with Processing
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery
  • Arduino Cookbook
  • 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius
  • Beginning Arduino
  • Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction
  • Programming Interactivity: A Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and Openframeworks
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Creative Code: Aesthetics + Computation
  • Raspberry Pi User Guide
  • Programming Windows
  • Visualizing Data: Exploring and Explaining Data with the Processing Environment
  • Getting Started with Raspberry Pi
  • Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code
  • The Art of Electronics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »