Start by marking “The Science of Vampires” as Want to Read:
The Science of Vampires

The Science of Vampires

Are any vampire myths based on fact? Bloodsucking villain to guilt-ridden loner—what has inspired the redemption of the vampire in fiction and film? What is Vampire Personality Disorder? What causes a physical addiction to another person's blood? Are there any boundaries in the polysexual world of vampires? How could a vampire hide in today's world of advanced forensic sci ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Vampires

Gregory
Dec 28, 2008 Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A good book, if a bit scattered and disorganized. Ramsland really covers three topics, whatever the title might actually imply about the book's focus. First off, she discusses the cultural history of vampires, from Eastern European folklore, to Bram Stoker's iconic re-invention, to the dawning of the vampire as Romantic anti-hero. She also discusses the modern development of the vampire into a sort of New Age god, and its implications in modern spiritual circles.

Secondly, she talks about the sc
Call Me Midge
Aug 25, 2007 Call Me Midge rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any vampire enthusiast
absolutely brilliant. did a paper for college on this book. got an A
Katy
Jun 11, 2011 Katy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the vampire obsessed
Book Info: Genre: Non-fiction, exploration of mythology/legends/lore
Reading Level: Adults
Recommended for: The vampire obsessed

My Thoughts: Honestly, I was a bit disappointed in this book. Oh, there's a lot of information, and lots of other books that are referenced, but I wanted something more scientific, and this was more the exploration of the myths and legends with a sort of “what if?” theme, and the cultural phenomenon of vampires and those trying to emulate them. If you're vampire obsessed
Chris
I have never read one of these "science" of books before. (Yes, I read Science of Discworld but that is a real science book). This was at one of those really, really cheap bookstores. It was under $5.00.

Which was still too much for it.

Here's a list of problems.

1. Nothing new in terms of analysis of Dracula. In fact, I'm not convinced Ramsland even read Dracula.

2. Nothing new about vampires in general. In fact, Ramsland quotes from many other books, which you are better off reading. Check out Va
Lori Schiele
A unique and quite fascinating book written with the assistance of a battery of professionals: medical doctors, neurophysicists, physicists, forensics, psychiatrists, etc on how vampires could be actual "living" entities. It shows, through the use of science, how each of the "special abilities" of vampires can be explained in scientific terms. An absolutely fascinating book. I wish there were more like it to explain other (previously considered) "mythological" beings.

For anyone interested in va
Rhiannon
Mar 31, 2011 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Read this. Just do it. Especially if love macabre facts as much as I do. If you are strictly about the vampire fiction, then I guess I'll give you a pass and say that perhaps you should not read this as it may bore you. This takes real life facts about death and dying that, one, explains the suspicions people had in earlier centuries about people being vampires or preyed on by vampires, and two, how perhaps vampirism could exist in the modern scientific world. Fascinating stuff for me!
Kirsten
Dec 22, 2008 Kirsten marked it as couldn-t-finish
This started out as an amusing concept, but the author couldn't decide whether it was going to be tongue-in-cheek, or a serious look at the concept of vampires, how it's evolved through the ages, etc. This resulted in frustration, as I tried to figure out what was bad science done tongue-in-cheek, and what I was supposed to be taking semi-seriously.
Angel R
Sep 05, 2008 Angel R rated it it was ok
This book was alright. Nothing that great
Kim
Feb 26, 2010 Kim rated it did not like it
BORING
Melissa
Mar 03, 2017 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, get-spooky
Really loved this book. It's very, very interesting and really does an excellent job of explaining how vampires could exist -- if they did. It's scientific, but entertaining. A great read for those interested in the supernatural.
Ryan
Oct 16, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Oh my long lasting love of vampires has finally panned out to more than just the fiction/horror shelves. I, first and foremost, have to applaud Katherine Ramsland's sheer force of will, vampire myths and tales have been around since the Egyptians, and just plodding through all that information takes more sanity than I even have.

Anyone who may question the actual science of this book need only to look at Ramslands credentials: a masters degree in Forensic Psychology, another masters degree in Cli
Evelyn Eve
Apr 10, 2016 Evelyn Eve rated it really liked it
More of a speculative piece than anything else, I suppose "This Could be Vampires" wouldn't be as convincing of a title for a book of this nature.

I have never really cared for any of the interpretations of vampire in media or literature in the past. Recently, however, I have acquired an interest of sorts in the different interpretations and explanations behind them. As a sci-fi/fantasy/horror writer, I suppose expanding my pool of knowledge couldn't hurt.

This book touches on the history of the v
Mae
Jun 30, 2013 Mae rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-678
While never actually postulating the vampires exist, Ramsland does trace the evolution of the vampire myth and introduce theories as to a) how natural phenomena could explain the myth(s) and b) how the myth(s) might work in forensic science. This is an excellent work of non-fiction and should be placed in the hands of a student who love vampire mythology and has a love for science. It can be selected for the collection on the basis of Value to the Collection as we have no other non-fiction books ...more
Jessica
Jun 03, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-reads
35 books/2010

My bestest buddy bought this book for me because I love me some vampire fiction. I was excited AND dubious, because the words "science" and "vampire" were together in a title. I was afraid it might be cultish and silly and perhaps filled with too much science lingo. I was wrong! There is a bit of science talk which I sort of skimmed, but it's pretty anthropological with insights into Dracula and other literary bigwigs.
Hannah Givens
Aug 13, 2015 Hannah Givens rated it liked it
More "how vampires might come to about in the future" rather than a present- or past-based focus. Still informative, the marketing just didn't quite come across properly to me. Also, there's an odd preoccupation with Dracula, when I'd rather hear about earlier legends or just talk about possible future developments, one or the other...
Steve Wiggins
Dec 24, 2013 Steve Wiggins rated it really liked it
A little gruesome in spots, but a good introduction to what science reveals about vampires. More remarks can be found here: Sects and Violence in the Ancient World.
Alex Bledsoe
Aug 21, 2008 Alex Bledsoe rated it really liked it
Fascinating and broad-ranging discussion of how vampires might work if they were real, from folklore to modern role-playing. The science isn't so deep it gets dull, and there are lots of interviews and first-hand accounts to keep the author's voice from growing monotonous.
Amanda
Jun 11, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
disturbing, awesome, same lady who did bio for Anne Rice
Bill Bleuel
Nov 30, 2012 Bill Bleuel rated it liked it
A little all over the map. Tries to cover too much ground with little depth. Interesting material, but didn't feel completely thought out. Another draft or two.
Marissa Mcdaniel
Jun 24, 2014 Marissa Mcdaniel rated it it was amazing
Absolute perfection, I loved that she talked about modern day vampires. I couldn't have asked for this book to be better.
Cherie
Mar 08, 2009 Cherie rated it it was amazing
The vampire lover and science nerd in me collide!!! From history to religion to science, this book is fascinating!!! I have never looked at vampires the same way since.
Darren Pereira
Aug 31, 2015 Darren Pereira rated it it was ok
meh
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2010
Joshua L. Parmley
Joshua L. Parmley rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2013
Kelly Beckett
Kelly Beckett rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2012
Sara McMinn
Sara McMinn rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Sketching
Sketching rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2008
Allison Quaid
Allison Quaid rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2012
Joannah
Joannah rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2007
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2010
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night
  • Vampyres: Lord Byron to Count Dracula
  • Vampires and Vampirism: Legends from Around the World
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • Vampire Stories
  • The Physics of the Buffyverse
  • Dragon Sleeping (The Dragon Circle #1)
  • Vampires Among Us
  • Holy Bible: Adventure Bible, Revised, NIV
I've loved books since I was 3, and the library was a highlight of my childhood. I've been fortunate to be able to find great joy in what others have written and sometimes to give this to readers. I follow my own muse, because it leads me on interesting adventures. If others benefit, so much the better.
More about Katherine Ramsland...

“I see science and mysticism as two complementary manifestations of the human mind; as its rational and intuitive faculties.

Capra”
3 likes
“In its timeless capacity to embody the human condition, the vampire is a poignant metaphor describing the psychosocial experience of the pariah - the outsider. The vampire is the Other that used to be human. The diseased, the mentally challenged, the homeless and hungry, ......are all vampires in a way; the other who used to be human, the invisible who casts no reflection among us.” 2 likes