Start by marking “Dark Fire (McCalls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Fire (McCalls, #2)

Dark Fire (McCalls #2)

Cynthia Ryan's best friend was lost somewhere in the dense, lush foliage of the Ecuadorian Cloud Forest, and Cynthia would do whatever it took to find her. Even if it meant hiring domineering survival specialist Trace Rawlings.

Trace wasn't exactly thrilled about the situation, either. The jungle was no place for a princess. Especially one who made him want things he could
Published September 2010 by harlequin (first published November 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Fire

Ashley S.
Apr 25, 2015 Ashley S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know I've pretty much given every book that I've read a five star rating....but it's the truth. The majority of the books that I read deserve more than a five star...

Cindy's character is something you understand instantly, because every woman whether it's a house wife or a career woman... every woman wants to depend on her self because when the going gets tough....she wants to be the tower of strength. Cindy doesn't like to depend on anyone, being hurt one too many times by the peopl
Dark Fire is a reprint of a 1988 mass market paperback. I loved Lowell's medieval trilogy and this is the first contemporary of hers that I've read.

The premise sounded great. Pampered rich girl Cynthia (Cindy) hires hard-assed bad boy Trace to guide her through the treacherous Equadorian rainforest in search of her missing friend.

I was really disappointed with the first half of the book. I felt the writing was average at best with none of the magic of her previous books.

The second half of
Mar 07, 2014 Farah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, grandma-era
I expected things to be a little more exciting than that with the setting and the atmosphere I thought it was going to turn into something a little suspenseful maybe adventurous but it simply stuck to romance.

Cindy and Trace's relationship was a lot of fun .. the snapping .. the battle of wills .. it was entertaining .. Trace was a major A hole most of the time but knowing his feelings made me more forgiving towards him as for Cindy I loved her !! she was strong willed .. proud .. sassy and s
Aug 27, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Cindy goes into the cloud forest to find her friend and Trace is her reluctant guide. I have this ridiculous idea about the good old days of romance that, similar to the good old days of America, are primarily made up. But every once in a while, when I stumble across a library that hasn't updated its collection in the last 20 years or so, I do find a good old romance. And this is one. It's just really no frills - the beta plot is so small as to be nonexistent, there's no murder, there's no fille ...more
Dec 02, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty ridiculous book. The dialogue was so unrealistic that it really yanked me out of the narrative. Absolutely nothing about this story was believable.

(view spoiler)
Diana Nagy
What a great novel. When I was in my late teens (17-19) and a year or two into my 20's all I could read was romance. I think the reason for that was because the relationship I was in I wasn't happy with and couldn't get the happiness in a relationship I longed for that I read in books. Boy did that change when I turned 23. I quit reading romance books because I had more than enough romance with me and my now husband. Plus, I began to feel that after I had read so many romance books, they all see ...more
Usually I like Lowell, but this time time her book annoyed me. Her characters seemed to contradict themselves emotionally, one minute snapping at each other and the next sprouting flowery romantic sentences. There didn't quite seem to be any middle ground, and although the hero sounded delish, the overuse of the word "peon" only hammered into me the idea that the man had serious baggage.
Not one of Lowell's better efforts. Although it started off with some promise it quickly degenerated into a snarky, insult-ridden battle between the two main characters. I didn't find much to like about either of them, and didn't really care if they ever made it out of the rain forest.
Jan 16, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I bought Dark Fire because its one of the last few books I have yet to collect by Elizabeth Lowell. I have loved and collected her books for years and was anticipating another good read. Unfortunately this is not what Dark Fire is and not Elizabeth Lowell’s best effort. The plot sounds like it has potential, basically Cindy Ryan’s best friend is missing in the cloud forest, so she hires the best guide available in Quito, Trace Rawlings, to help her find her friend, but it falls short of a satisf ...more
The first half of the novel had great promise, fun, humorous, adventurous, great H/Heroine chemistry against the exotic backdrop of Ecuadorian jungle. Different and spunky plot, a la King's Solomon's Mines, determined Heroine. Based on that, Lowell could easily be a unisex writer Sydney Sheldon style. Second part does a complete turnaround into some suitably steamy but unexpectedly sudden lurid erotica, with the lengthiest sex scene (27 pages long!) I have ever encountered including 2.5 pages of ...more
Feb 13, 2014 Andria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random-favorites
I really loved this book-much more than I was expecting too, if I was honest. It was exactly what I wanted-romance, adventuring through the jungle, and steamy smut scenes. The main characters were interesting, and very real. I'm looking forward to reading more of the author's novels.
Jami Dutcher
Apr 12, 2014 Jami Dutcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Elizabeth Lowell's books and this one is no different. Great romance.
Feb 25, 2016 GuisBell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bueno
Porque los hacen sufrir mucho a los protagonistas :( ...more
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Of course it would take a man like Trace Rawlings---a man who lives by his own rules to reign in the likes of Cynthia. Cynthia is anything but the pampered spoiled little rich girl that Trace is expecting. Not knowing the truth of things he treats her like crap and feels justified in doing so. For the life of it Cynthia cannot understand why on earth she would feel the way so do for Trace. But in the midst of the mountains things change and on one warm wet rainy night it all comes to a head. The ...more
S. Niehart
would've got a 5 but ending was rushed
Jul 26, 2016 Cavendishmk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
did not finish
The story of Cynthia and Trace, a couple who meet when Cynthia hires Trace to lead her through the Andean Cloud Forest and to the last known location of her best friend.

The two rub each other the wrong way and start off as adversaries, but soon their respect for one another grew, and their intense sexual attraction combined to their shared adventure, help bring them together.

Engaging story with some very interesting scenes in the tropical forest, where most of the story takes place.
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love elizabeth lowell. this one wasnt as long as some of my favorites by her, but i still really liked it.
Aug 20, 2014 Alix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
A classic, somewhat cheese romance novel a la Romancing the Stone. The cheese factor is possibly one of the things that make it so endearing to me, and I pull it out for a reread every few years.

Stubborn and out-of-her-depth heroine, strong and silent and sexy hero, lots of tension and adventure and intrigue? It's a solid formula, and damn near impossible to screw up. And it works.

An old favourite, despite the outdated writing...
Aug 24, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book, as I do almost every one of Elizabeth Lowell's books. I liked the heroine but found the hero's persistence in calling her "princess" derisively a little wearing as he seemed to use it in every other sentence. Although it is a re-released title from the early years of Elizabeth Lowell's career the passage of nearly 30 years hasn't aged the book at all. I highly recommend it to all romance readers.
Jan 10, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I love Elizabeth Lowell's older stories; the newer mysteries not so much. This is a great addition to my collection of older stories.

You could tell it was an early work for her, but it's not bad. I wouldn't rate it with the medieval trilogy, but I really liked it.

I guess I need to read the first now since I didn't realize it was a series.
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companion to Fever! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Hmmm...I thought it was a suspense-style novel like 'Amber Beach', but it was more like an Indiana Jones-style hacking-through-the-jungle romance. It wasn't bad though.
Cheryl Karkoff
Short fast reading love story. A woman hires a rogue to take her through the wilds to find her co worker who really doesn't need rescueing.
May 17, 2012 Rinku rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was good. I wish it was longer. I love Elizabeth's books and this was more of a romance than her usual more suspense filled plot line.
Aug 01, 2013 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fue una de las primeras novelas que lei, de vez en cuando la vuelvo a leer, los sentimientos que me transmitio... todavia impacta
Jan 25, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
Love these characters and the burning fire that dances between them.
May 14, 2015 garnetyuna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-f, did-not-finish
Did not finish. Or should I say, couldn't stomach this book? =__=
Samm Serrinnitty
I love Elizabeth Lowell's books so much.
Apr 21, 2012 Cem73 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, vf, harlequin
Titre vf : La princesse et l'orchidée
  • The Ruby
  • The Rawhide Man
  • Storm Centre
  • Dust Devil
  • Diamond Bay (Kell Sabin, #2)
  • Star Light, Star Bright (Sedikhan, #13)
  • The Soldier's Baby Bargain (Home To Harbor Town, #5)
  • A Lingering Melody
  • The Widow
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends, #2)
  • Body Guard (Silhouette Desire, #103)
  • Mistletoe and Holly
  • The Spanish Rose
  • Just Another Day in Paradise
  • The King's Convenient Bride (Royal Seductions, #1)
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

McCalls (2 books)