Start by marking “The French Confection (Diamond Brothers, #5)” as Want to Read:
The French Confection (Diamond Brothers, #5)

The French Confection (Diamond Brothers #5)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,106 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The hard-up Diamond Brothers win a weekend for two in Paris, but as soon as they arrive, they find themselves in danger. There's a nasty smell in the air and it's not the cheese. If Nick and Tim aren't careful, their dream holiday could end up being a nightmare from which they'll never wake up.
Published 2003 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The French Confection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Confection

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanThe Mark of Athena by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Best Books
170 books — 13 voters
Fledgling by Mark A. CooperStormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzRussian Roulette by Anthony HorowitzThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie Higson
Books Like Alex Rider
384 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Indah Threez Lestari
162 - 2017
Rogerio
Jul 29, 2016 Rogerio rated it liked it
Interesting reading as the brothers go to Paris and end up in the unmasking of a drug cartel.
Moushumi Ghosh
Sep 21, 2015 Moushumi Ghosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had such a fun Sunday afternoon reading this book! My first Horowitz but I see it's the fifth in the series. The neighbourhood bookshop was having a clearance sale of YA fiction. Just my luck.

Tim and Nick Diamond are two brothers and teenage detectives who happen to be in Paris for a holiday they won from the Bestle Yoghurt people. Their holiday turns into something sinister as they are hunted by drug lords and confectionery owners who sometimes can be the same people. Lots of jokes and Tim's n
Jemma
Sep 13, 2016 Jemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit to rushed I think. Everything was happening and then it was all over.
The library has now run out of Diamond Brothers audiobooks... I should probably find something good quality to listen to instead...

Parents, the plot is pretty much the main character shutting down a drug ring. He has severe hallucinations at one point in the story
Araan
Jan 26, 2015 Araan rated it it was amazing
This book is really inspiring and I love the detectives
Daia
Jul 13, 2017 Daia rated it liked it
I actually bought The Two of Diamonds and didn't know that it was actually two books in one-- this and I Know What You Did Last Wednesday, which I bought last week. I feel cheated.

Going back, I could say that I never get tired of reading Horowitz' books. All of his books are gripping-- either funny, usually wittingly mixed with horror, or totally serious when it really get serious. Horowitz is just my type of writer who gets everything going the right way.

In general, I find The Diamond Brothers
catwoman
Not my favourite Diamond Brothers book and I don't think will be reading it to my upper KS2 class. However, it was an enjoyable read that for an independent read kids would enjoy.
Julie
Jun 03, 2017 Julie rated it did not like it
Read to see if it was suitable for my class, but didn't enjoy.
Michael Mccaul
Jun 20, 2014 Michael Mccaul rated it really liked it
Disaster zone Tim Diamond and his brother head to Paris for a weekend on what they believe is a holiday. Of course it is anything but! Arrested, threatened, kidnapped and stuck in the middle of a huge crime racket, both quickly realise this is no accident and certainly. I holiday.
A great read that that is irreverent, silly and a great take on adult genres. It reminded me of television and cinema icons such as laurel and Hardy, or cartoons like pinky and the brain. Essentially it's a buddy movie
Linda
Nov 30, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
What a fun book to read! Tim and Nick Diamond, who are always down on their luck as they play at being private detectives, win a trip to Paris. Tim, the grown up, is slap stick stupid but Nick, the 14 year-old brother is smart. Tim, bragging about his detective prowess on the train to Paris, sets the brothers up for danger when they get themselves mixed up in a drug smuggling ring. A hilarious romp through Paris ensues when the bad guys insist that Tim and Nick have something they want.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
My first of the Diamond Brothers books (#5- so out of sequence! A big deal for me). Still it was enjoyable. I'd read Stormbreaker recently, and saw this cover and had to read it (I'll read pretty much anything set in Paris). I got a good dose of Paris. I may read some others in this series, but would probably prefer to read more of the Alex Rider books.

Barbara
Apr 30, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
This book is a hoot. There's enough murder and mayhem to get any boy reluctant reader interested and enough humor to keep them 'til the end, especially since it's so short. This is part of the series, The Diamond Brothers. Because of the bloody stuff it's not great for the really young set but give it to a 4th-5th grader and up. They'll love the comments of the really smart younger brother about his incredibly dumb older brother.
Daniella Rojas
Jan 03, 2015 Daniella Rojas rated it really liked it
Easy and fast read, The Diamond Brothers are on it again.

Winning a trip to Paris hosted by Bestle, a yoghurt company, the Diamond Brothers, Nick and Tim, found themselves in another mystery involving, weird stewards, a pack of sugar and strange men who follow them to the border of the Sienne river.

This series is absoultey great, def a must read for the fans of mystery like I am.
TheTinFoilHatter
Aug 23, 2016 TheTinFoilHatter rated it really liked it
In this book, Tim and Nick win a competition to go to France and inadvertently get involved in a drug-smuggling plot. They fight some baddies, they meet a French version of Snape, they do a drugs and stop to eat some cake. It's very good, not brilliant, but I like this instalment fine.
Peter
Apr 04, 2010 Peter rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Children; although drug references
Shelves: mystery, books-i-own
Although I read this a while ago, I remember it being a little dissapointing compared to the rest of this great series. As I remember it, the jokes were below par, and the plot was less than intriguing.
Thetravelingpanda
Jan 16, 2015 Thetravelingpanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
It was so loooong since I've read a Diamond brother book! And well it is still cool! I really love Nick, even dumb and naive Tim. Both of them are working well together I think A.H. nailed a good recipe for Sherlock Holm-esk mysteries with fun comic relief!
Sarah Woodward
Apr 18, 2013 Sarah Woodward rated it liked it
Shelves: three-star
Having re-read this, its definitely not my favourite of the series.
Simon
Sep 30, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it
Lovely style. Very funny.
Mina Booth
Jul 21, 2015 Mina Booth rated it it was amazing
Really funny - read for my son
Fatma
Jul 06, 2015 Fatma rated it did not like it
Shelves: 6-9-read
he didn't like it. It is boring,that what he said . I think I will give him couple of years and come back to this series .
George
Nov 15, 2010 George rated it liked it
I really like this book. My favorite part was when they got poisined in that truck and escaped. This series is very interesting and I can't wait to read more of it.
Jean
Dec 03, 2010 Jean rated it liked it
Least favorite of this series. They are all quite silly.
Parinita
Feb 09, 2014 Parinita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. An easy, fun read that I finished in the span of a train journey to work. Strangely, until I looked up the book on Goodreads, I was convinced it was called The French Connection.
Candycloud
Oct 09, 2011 Candycloud rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-borrowed
Funny.
John
Mar 03, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Another short adventure for the Diamond Brothers, but much more amusing than The Blurred Man.....
Tomas Howells
Mar 10, 2014 Tomas Howells rated it it was amazing
The first I read of the series and I found it to be very clever if not a little bit silly. Enjoyable for families.
Neo Lung
Mar 07, 2015 Amilah Shamil rated it it was amazing
very funny
Rosie
Mar 14, 2010 Rosie rated it liked it
Not as good as the others in the series, but still enjoyable and good fun.
  • Final Lap (Traces, #5)
  • Horse Crazy Lily (Lily #11)
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • Secrets Of Deltora
  • Dead Man's Cove (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #1)
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green (Hazel Green, #2)
  • The Burning Questions of Bingo Brown (Bingo Brown, #1)
  • Hurricane Gold (Young Bond, #4)
  • Shock for the Secret Seven (The Secret Seven, #13)
  • Emily Eyefinger (Emily Eyefinger, #1)
  • Taking Care of Terrific
  • Moonshadow: Rise of the Ninja (Moonshadow, #1)
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...

Diamond Brothers (8 books)
  • The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brothers, #1)
  • Public Enemy Number Two (Diamond Brothers, #2)
  • South by Southeast (Diamond Brothers, #3)
  • The Blurred Man (Diamond Brothers, #4)
  • I Know What You Did Last Wednesday (Diamond Brothers, #6)
  • The Greek Who Stole Christmas (Diamond Brothers, #7)
  • The Diamond Brothers in... The Four of Diamonds