Start by marking “Learning Perl” as Want to Read:
Learning Perl

Learning Perl

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,538 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
If you ask Perl programmers today what book they relied on most when they were learning Perl, you'll find that an overwhelming majority will name Learning Perl--also known affectionately as "the Llama." The first edition of Learning Perl appeared in 1993 and has been a bestseller ever since. Written by two of the most prominent and active members of the Perl community, thi ...more
ebook, 3rd Edition, 336 pages
Published July 18th 2001 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 14th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Learning Perl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning Perl

Manny
Feb 22, 2010 Manny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
There's this old geek joke where you compare programming languages and cars (Assembler would be a Formula 1 racer, LISP would be an electric car, etc). Here's Perl:

[image error]
Nick Black
read this back at CNN in 1999. i've refused to read or write perl since then, and it's done me nothing but good.
James Swenson
May 15, 2012 James Swenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the way to start writing Perl: quick and painless.

Start on page one, where the authors mention that they "enjoyed writing it," with the following footnote:

Now, if you're wondering how we can say that we've enjoyed writing it (in the past tense) when we're still on the first page, that's easy: we started at the end, and worked our way backwards. It sounds like a strange way to do it, we know. But, honestly, once we finished writing the index, the rest was hardly any trouble at all.
Joseph Leskey
Oct 24, 2016 Joseph Leskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYBODY!!!!!
Recommended to Joseph by: I completely forget.
This book is absolutely marvelous (and I just read the second edition; little did I know that there were newer ones). It was indeed (to the best of my knowledge) the instigator of my application of programming outside of Visual Studio, which, if you're well acquainted with these areas… well, never mind. Oh, in between Visual Studio and Perl, I learned some shell scripting and various markup languages, because I started using Linux (Debian and Slax specifically) instead of Windows (YAYYYYY!!!!!!) ...more
Nadine Slavinski
This review was written by my son and husband who used this book extensively. They report:

I have programmed in Python and a little bit in C and I think this book is great - and so is perl. I already knew a little bit about perl from reading a Wikipedia article and looking at the perldoc documentation, but Learning Perl taught my some very useful things that I would have never found alone (splicing, nongreedy regexes, just to name a few).

perl has amazing support for I/O, and the book helped me
Kent Frazier
Jul 12, 2007 Kent Frazier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning programmers
This was my first real programming book (not counting others that I bought but never got far enough it to really make a difference). I felt that it was a really good introduction to programming, as well as a fairly good introduction to Perl. It is certainly not the most comprehensive book on the subject, but the simple but effective description and the exercises at the end of each chapter did a lot to help me grasp programming principles and reinforce them. The book was short enough that I read ...more
James
In the quest to broaden my technical skills (or 'layoff insurance' as I like to call it), I've opted to learn programming. With IT Support rapidly becoming so automated and out-sourced, it seems to me that my current job will one day be replaced by a robot (in India, likely).

So one of my Unix admin co-workers has been extolling Perl, and I opted to pick up what appears to be the beginner's volume published by O'Reilly (my favorite tech publisher). I'm slowly working through it--it didn't take lo
Vitor Capela
Aug 09, 2015 Vitor Capela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kickstarted my software development career. I was 15 and had tried learning C for a little over a year, trying to fit into a group of friends who were writing window managers for fun. I couldn't really wrap my head around it at the time, with all the ceremony about pointers and memory allocation. I wanted to accomplish things, and the gaps in my knowledge made everything frustrating.

With Learning Perl, within a few hours I had a little program reading inputs and writing files. I was h
Ahmed Shreef
The book can be good as an introduction to the basics of perl programming but it doesn't mention a lot of the OOP related features in perl. So if you're working on something more than a simple script, you will need to find some other place to read about references and other more advanced topics, which are not really advanced, but the book skips them as probably covering them would have made the book size increase to be around 500 pages.

While it's talking about the basics, it's still worth readi
Kevin Connery
Sep 03, 2011 Kevin Connery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this when the first edition came out, but have been away from the language for a while, and picking it up piecemeal was getting old. It’s vastly improved over the earlier version(s), which were pretty good to begin with. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn about Perl. (Yes, there are a zillion of online tutorials, but this covers a lot more breadth.)
Hilary
This is *the* Perl book. If you only read one, this should be it. The text explains concepts well, and the end-of-chapter exercises are designed to reinforce what you've just learned, integrating with anything you learned earlier, and also to stretch your imagination. You don't need any prior programming knowledge to find this a useful resource.
michael
Dec 25, 2008 michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
I recommend reading this book for entertainment and never writing a line of perl. The language is more backwards and silly than even VB (which is saying a helluva lot), but the three writers work through its vulgarities well enough to nearly convince the reader that it's actually worth learning. Don't be fooled by their wiles: perl is a mischievous mistress.
Alexandru
May 09, 2011 Alexandru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've actually read this in russian. It was one of the first books of programming I've read. I remember having a lot of fun when reading it. This was definitely the right book for me at the time. Now I would recommend learning other languages such as Python or Ruby.
Nathan
Jul 13, 2013 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any UNIX/Linux system Administrator
As a UNIX administrator with no Perl experience this was invaluable to me. Since I read it all the way through, I've found it very useful as a reference. Its a definite must for anybody wanting (or needing) to learn Perl.
carl  theaker

This was an add on text for a Perl class. Seems like I've
taken more than one version of this class, in person, online,
they're everywhere.
Contains various perls of wisdom you should need for this
language.
Kelly
Totally learning old school PERL for some stuff at work. This text confirms many of the stereotypes that I have of PERL users. The foreword is a hilarious discussion of PERL wizardry which reminds me why I never learned PERL of my own volition. HAHAHA
Ws
Nov 30, 2012 Ws rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Humorous book. The Perl language is explained in a clear and easy to understand manner, and introduces good coding style and practices.
Lots of jokes in the style of footnotes which might not suit everyone, but I enjoyed it (the Terry Pratchett fan in me rejoiced too).
Rob
Feb 19, 2008 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, technical, perl
Good book for foundations, I would say... My review wouldn't be a particularly fair one because I didn't get too far with this. As quickly as my need to learn Perl arose, it diminished and disappeared. That said, should that need come back, I believe that this is book where I would re-start.
Dave Peticolas

This book was my first introduction to Perl and I can say it made my initial foray much easier. I haven't picked it up since, but I'm glad I had it in the beginning.

Michael Economy
Apr 18, 2011 Michael Economy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
I read 3/4 of this book straight though. It's a very well writting programming book. I've only used perl like 3 times in my whole life and have written maybe 2 lines ever though, so maybe this book scared me straight?
Mohasin
Mar 21, 2009 Mohasin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
If you want to learn Perl, then this book should be your starting point. The book has a humorous and example-based learning approach. You will see more footnotes than anyother book. The footnotes are worth reading with lot of insights on why things are the way they are.
Amit Saurav
Jan 11, 2011 Amit Saurav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
Excellently written book. At first I thought this book was full of chit-chat with so many footnotes but by the end of it, it helped me really understand the basics of Perl. Totally recommend it for anyone who is thinking about "learning perl".
Alpha
Aug 16, 2012 Alpha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Perl may not be a perfect language, while this book is a great introduction to Perl.

It's comprehensive but compact, outlined well too.

The authors demonstrated their deep understanding of Perl with sense of humor.
Brad Wolfe
Apr 16, 2013 Brad Wolfe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, hands down, the best book for learning Perl. I have kept a copy of this book near my desk for the past 7+ years, and loan it out to anyone who is interested in learning more about scripting in Perl.
Sophia
It makes a powerful text processing tool in association with bash. But not so convenient as python otherwise.
Blagovest
Jan 09, 2012 Blagovest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my teen years special :)
Ken Guest
Apr 14, 2011 Ken Guest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
This really raised my game.
Kyle
Aug 08, 2008 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, geek
This is by far the most practical, humorous, and productive programming book I've ever read.
Ettore Pasquini
Sep 06, 2011 Ettore Pasquini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Great guide to Perl. Takes you by hand to learning you some perl, with lots of good perl-humor as well.
  • Perl Cookbook
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • Perl Best Practices: Standards and Styles for Developing Maintainable Code
  • Advanced Perl Programming (Perl Series)
  • sed & awk
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • DNS and BIND

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »