Start by marking “Lili: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Lili: A Novel
Preview

Lili: A Novel

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Like so many of her young compatriots, Lili Lin lives on the margins of society–she has been jailed for “having a corrupt lifestyle and hooliganism,” and at 24 she is unemployable because she doesn’t have connections and unmarriageable because she isn’t a virgin. Estranged from her parents, restless and cynical, she drifts from day to day. Then she meets an American journa ...more
Published (first published May 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lili, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lili

Anomy
This book is one of the milestones of my life. It is beautiful. It is like a ripple in the water, every time I read it, the more of an impact it makes on me.
A lot later than my usual Chinese books. This is in the late 80's and that revolution. It refers back to foot binding and dowager empress times, but no concubines.
Fay Hensley
This was an unexpected very good read. I started this without knowing what to expect and what I found was an emotional story of self struggle in an undemocratic society that really didn't have a lot of respect for woman at the time. What I loved the most, Lili was not afraid to be who she wanted to be and or really q...uestion who it was that she wanted to become. The price she paid during her lifes journey was not but painful to read. I'm not afraid to admit, but this one did make me cry. I hig ...more
Laine
Don't know if i liked it. Reads quite poorly in places whereas in others the digging into cultural differences are amazingly insightful. The changes that occur to Lili are not quite believable but the descriptions of poverty at the margins of Chinese society are fascinating. In parts, its a great, eye-opener. In others its just soppy fluff. Fluff is acceptable because of the insights on Chinese life during the cultural revolution and up thru to the tieneman standoff. There was enough interesting ...more
Latrevia
I loved this book! It made me understand China better and it's quest in what it's trying to achieve. Also, it made me realize how each government portrays how they want to be, but the reality is much more skewed. Therefore, it's imperative that we ensure that whomever we vote for, whether mayor or president, we should hold them accountable and ensure they set out to do what's best for us. This book reminded me that I have a voice, and in the end I was inspired and literally jumping up and down!
Jessica
I enjoyed this book not because I felt that is was particularly well written, but because I really liked the juxtaposition between Lili, a Chinese "hoolagin", and Roy, an American journalist. Seeing the way they interacted opened eyes to how Chinese view their culture which is misunderstood by many Americans. I would recommend to anyone who is interested in learning about modern China.
Shelley
Wow--how life can change on a dime and be forever altered. One more sad story of how the cultural revolution with noble goals destroyed lives. Lili becomes a hooligan but then gets involved with an American journalist. She struggles to sort out her life, what to do with it, her conflicting feelings about China and just about everyone. Yes--read it.
Marci
The author is a good story teller, but when the voice (whoever voice it may be) becomes politically charged or opinionated, it all sounded like the same voice. Enjoyed the story when the judgements werent being voiced.
Kathy Chung
Reviewed at : Small Kucing

Nice book. A lot of crying.
Saya Hashimoto
Clearly a first book; the characterisation of the love interest was slightly nauseating but otherwise good for a no-brainer.
Mark
everyone should read books about what ordinary folks had to go through in the Cultural Revolution. educate yourself
Cmorice
Chine des années 1980 et évocation de Tiennamen...
Darlene
This was an o.k. book, a bit tiring in parts.
Louis
A decent read, but could be better.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Creativename
Creativename marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Mary Nguyen
Mary Nguyen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Soda
Soda marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Amy Tortoishell
Amy Tortoishell marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Honour
Honour marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Diana Livingston
Diana Livingston marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Heather C
Heather C marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ang
Ang marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • Dream of the Walled City
  • Green Mountain, White Cloud: A Novel of Love in the Ming Dynasty
  • Wild Ginger
  • The Bathing Women
  • Cries in the Drizzle
  • The Moon Pearl (Bluestreak)
  • Memories of a Pure Spring
  • Beijing Doll
  • Fifth Chinese Daughter
  • Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth
  • The Red Chamber
  • The Mao Case (Inspector Chen Cao #6)
  • Beijing Confidential: A Tale of Comrades Lost and Found in the New Forbidden City
  • Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior
The People's Republic of Desire: A Novel Peking Girls White Pumpkin Seed 闯入美国主流 - From Mainland to Mainstream Septembermond Roman