The Atlas of Middle-Earth

The Atlas of Middle-Earth

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  6,240 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Includes many two-color maps and diagrams. A guide to the geography of Tolkien's Middle-Earth series. This edition is fully revised and updated, nearly one third of the map are new.
Hardcover, Revised Edition, 210 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1981)

Gundula
Mar 08, 2014 Gundula rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is a fan of Middle Earth
One of my favourite reference books!! Atlas of Middle-earth is not only a wonderful book in and of itself, it is an informative and enchanting companion to and reference book for all of J.R.R. Tolkien's substantial oeuvre. This gem presents a detailed and fascinating array of both general and specific maps, helping readers visualise the paths taken by elves, dwarves, men and others during the three ages of Middle Earth. And most importantly (at least for me), Atlas of Middle-earth also shows how...more
James M. Madsen, M.D.
I consider this book to be an indispensable companion, along with the maps and chronology at the beginning of David Day's Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia, to any reading of The Silmarillion. It's also a very enjoyable companion to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Fonstad's scholarship is meticulous, and the book, for those who are reading or have read any of these three main works, also makes a superb stand-alone read--something unusual for an encyclopedic reference. Highly, highly re...more
Phillip
It is hard to believe that I haven't written a review of this wonderful book. The "Atlas of Middle-earth" is one of those resources that help to open up Tolkien's work for the reader in a way that adds to one's understanding of the original works. It is helpful to have multiple maps with explanatory material there to help the reader to visualize the geography and routes of all of the major works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

She provides floor plans for Bag End, Butterburr's Inn, the Beorn residence and on...more
Plant Girl
Only for the super geeky! All the multitude of maps are helpful while following the stories (includes maps for The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion) if one is so inclined to have to always know where the action is taking place. I have enjoyed it.
Steven
I love having this with me when I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings . Fonstad has done incredible research into the geography of Middle Earth. Then again, I am fascinated with maps of all kinds, so I suppose I might be a little biased. (Wait. Me? Biased? And stating my overly biased opinions? Never.) Just ask Julietta.
Lucinda
The indispensable, must-have companion to ‘The Lord of the Rings’, ‘The Hobbit’ and ‘The Silmarillion’.

The atlas of JRR Tolkien’s Middle-Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad clarifies the geography of his creation and highlights the adventures which took place there ~ including the first, second and third ages. From the Undying Lands of the West to the Shire and Hobbiton, this revised edition contains within hundreds of two-color maps and diagrams spanning across the vast plains of Middle-Earth. Utterly...more
Artnoose Noose
Mar 19, 2012 Artnoose Noose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Tolkein fans
It's true that unless you have read Tolkien books multiple times--- or are currently reading them--- you might not get much out of this book. But wow, is it ever thorough. I love the fact that nerds have been able to secure advanced degrees by studying the fine details of Tolkien's published works and unpublished notes.

Tolkien's notability doesn't spawn from amazing writing but rather his creation of a whole mythos, complete with languages and descriptive passages about geography. It's pretty fo...more
Nathan Dehoff
I've always enjoyed when books had maps in them, and while it took me a while to actually finish the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, I remember being fascinated by the detailed maps that I found there. I actually remember coming across this book at a bookstore when I was a kid, but it took me a while to get around to finally reading it. There's a lot to be said about J.R.R. Tolkien's geography, and Fonstad covers quite a bit of it here, from the development of Middle-Earth from the First throu...more
Kristen
Pretty much the ultimate reference book for the Middle Earth Mythos. This being said,actually just reading through it was much what I imagine reading through an actual atlas is like; i.e. rather dry. Had I actually owned this book and used it as actually intended, as a refence as I read through Tolkien's works, it probably would have gotten a higher rating from me, but, as I got it from the library and had a due date, I was unable to do this and still have time to finish it, so I was forced just...more
Tayler Gouchberg
This is less an actual book and more an art-book. The maps are clear, with very few mistakes, as most of them are from Tolkein's own maps. The maps are printed in black and red ink and range in content from pure, unmarked maps as might be used for navigation or in an Ardan atlas to maps showing the routes of the Fellowship and, if I am remembering right, Thorin's group. The content of the maps dates from the Awakening of the Elves to the end of the Third Age.
As of yet there are no maps of Valino...more
Charity U
August 2011 --- Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome! I totally loved this fun book. It had detailed maps of everything, inside and out, from Isengard to the Mines of Moria to Mordor. And those are just locations! Also maps showing where "The Hobbit" is in relation to "Lord of the Rings." Maps of Mirkwood, and other large things. Maps showing where each army went/was in multiple battles. Maps by vegetation, and language, and people. And lots of words too, describing what happened at each location....more
Mentatreader
Could of used a "the map continued on page .." at the bottom or other edges of applicable maps. I kept getting to usually the bottom of a map and then having to look up in the index a location to find where the map continues.
James Spahn
This is THE resource when it comes to exploring the cartography of Middle-earth. An invaluable and fascinating resource when it comes to following the many paths walked by the historic heroes from all the ages of Middle-earth.
Milo
It is amazing to read into the maps and journeys made in Middle Earth from a cartographer's perspective. Very well done and fascinating for anyone interested in the geography of dear Middle Earth.
Ent
Uno de los mejores libros relacionados con la obra de J.R.R. Tolkien
Alina
I think I have poured over these maps and know them better than real world geography. Truly and invaluable resource for Tolkien readers&writers.
Mohammad Hossein
a very awesome book that illustrated most of J.R.R. Tolkien idea in his Legendarium, you can find lots of good maps in this book, lots of information about the places, statistical information, armies movements around the book and it god a little story of all the parts of the book that makes you deeply go into the book and feel better of Tolkien world, Arda.
as a matter of fact, it got some problems that are not the same as Tolkien Idea, but there are much fewer to make me not 5star this book...

if...more
John
Very definitely a 5 star book. Almost indispensable companion to Tolkien's works
Nllthelovely
May 05, 2014 Nllthelovely rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Tolkien fans
Recommended to Nllthelovely by: I found it on the bookshelves when looking for speciel editions of The Lord of the Rings books
Shelves: reference
Love this book, I keep it near at hand whenever I'm re-reading Tolkien's books.
Brimate
This atlas is an extensive collection of maps and other facts and information about Tolkien's world. I referenced this while reading The Silmarillion to better follow along the characters' paths to and picture places, landscapes, etc. It helped my mind delve even further into this amazing world. It made reading all the more exciting.

I wish the maps were in full color (they're part color), but it's a great Atlas nonetheless. I recommend this to anyone reading Tolkien, especially nerds like myself...more
Davide Quartucci
Un libro che qualsiasi appassionato di Tolkien dovrebbe avere.
Daniel
A useful book to help visualise more of Middle Earth
Annette
I had the Map Of Middle-Earth from this book as a poster next to my bed as a kid; my dad and I tracked the journeys on it as he read the whole Tolkien bookshelf to me over the course of a couple of years. As such, I admit that I picked this up out of sheer nostalgia.

Problem with this version is...I keep falling asleep. The elven names and near-Biblical histories are sheer literary narcolepsy. I ended up doing the 'kindergarten thing' and paging through to ooh and ahh at the pretty pictures. Sigh...more
priddymomma
FANTASTIC guide! I absolutely loved this atlas! It has everything. You can see the layout of Bag End or see exactly how fast the Fellowship was traveling at any point in their journey. I'm about to begin the Walk to Mordor challenge, and this is going to be invaluable. I can't wait to copy a map to mark my path. Awesome. Just awesome.
Hypatia
This was not an exciting read in itself, but I found it really interesting. It was a great companion to the Silmarillion, which is kind of lacking in maps. As well as maps showing geographical features and cities, this also has battle plans, route maps for major journeys, and more detailed plans of cities and houses. Very interesting.
Matt
Highly informative.

I spent a lot of time, however, poring over a couple of maps before I realized they were screwed up.

Whoops, I just revealed how much of a dork I am. I might as well admit I visited Oxford, England, with my wife and visited the Eagle and Child pub and Tolkien's grave. I didn't cry, though.
K.B. Hoyle
This is an absolute MUST HAVE for any true Tolkien aficionado! I can pore over this book for hours and marvel at Tolkien's genius, or I can use it for a quick reference. I used it last year in class when I was teaching LOTR, and it really helped my students follow the progress of the journey of the Ring. Delightful!
Jacob Cundiff
An excellent resource for any fan of Tolkien, with maps for most of the books dealing with Middle-Earth. However, the only reason I cannot give this a full five stars are various errors that crop up every now and again. Ignoring that, this is a must-read for Lord of the Rings fans.
Mark Dickson
A brilliant idea, brilliantly excecuted. I actually used this atlas while reading the trilogy to get an overhead since of the scale and layout of the settings. This is especially for people like me who love the map supplements that come with National Geographic magazines.
Autumn
Fantastic, detailed maps of Middle-Earth, including cities, towers, and battles maps. Very fun and helpful to follow while reading of the Fellowship's adventures. Even gives details from The Hobbit and historical battles/events before The Hobbit and the trilogy.
Tolkien's T.C.B.S: Maps of Middle-Earth 3 13 May 09, 2013 09:21AM
  • The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • The Road to Middle-Earth: How J.R.R. Tolkien Created A New Mythology
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

Karen Wynn Fonstad, née Wynn (April 18, 1945 - March 11, 2005) was the author of several atlases of fictional worlds.

Born Karen Lea Wynn in Oklahoma City to parents James and Estis Wynn, she graduated from Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma, and then earned a B.S. degree in Physical Therapy and an M.A. in Geography, specializing in cartography, from the University of Oklahoma.

While attending t...more
More about Karen Wynn Fonstad...
The Atlas of Pern Atlas of the Dragonlance World (Dragonlance Books) The Forgotten Realms Atlas The Atlas of the Land: A Complete Guide to the Strange and Magical Land of Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Atlas of Pern: A Complete Guide to Anne McCaffrey's Wonderful World of Dragons and Dragonriders