Start by marking “Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge” as Want to Read:
Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge

Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge (The Marie Antoinette Romances #5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,205 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
C'était pendant la soirée du 10 mars 1793. Dix heures venaient de tinter à Notre-Dame, et chaque heure, se détachant l'une après l'autre comme un oiseau nocturne élancé d'un nid de bronze, s'était envolée triste, monotone et vibrante. La nuit était descendue sur Paris, non pas bruyante, orageuse et entrecoupée d'éclairs, mais froide et brumeuse
Nook, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2008 by B&R Samizdat Express (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge

Ashley
May 09, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, classics
This has to be one of the most under-appreciated books from Dumas! A non-stop action-packed book from beginning to end with intelligent, witty prose, it has all of the fun, and little of the tedium of dinner table descriptions as Dumas was wont to do. The ending is incredible and should be quoted like Shakespeare. Anyone interested in the Reign of Terror will appreciate this book!
Yasmin
Nov 25, 2014 Yasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a novel that had oddly vanished from circulation in France, there is no real reason as to why it was neglected out of all of Dumas's works. There is no speculation. Was it because this particular story shows how favourably he viewed the royals at such a fragile time in French history even though by the time of his adulthood the Revolution was long past? As Lorenzo Carcaterra points out and as many Dumas readers are full aware he never uses accuracy in any historical sense. But then most ...more
Nakashi
While the story was intriguing and filled with suspense (I had to constantly remind myself that Marie Antoinette did not, in fact, survive), the translation left much to be desired. Was the translator trying to make it more 'accessible' to the modern reader? Phrases like 'Let's crush this bastard legally!' and 'Lawyers will have a field day with him!' had me cringing throughout.
There must be a better translation out there. There has to be.
Keith

Alexandre Dumas was one of the worlds most prodigous writers. He wrote over 200 novels and yet, I imagine, like many other readers, if someone sidled up to me and said " and now, for a million dolllars, tell us the titles of six novels by Alexandre Dumas!" I think I would start well, Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Man in the Iron Mask and, if I was lucky, i might remember Twenty Years After. That would be it. Three, or with luck, four novels out of 200.

Seeing The Knight of Maison Rouge
Misfit
Sep 13, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins in March 1793 as Louis XVI has been beheaded, Marie Antoinette and her children are imprisoned and the Committee for Public Safety has unleashed The Reign of Terror. Unaware of a curfew, a young woman is stopped by members of the National Guard but saved from arrest by Civic Guard office Maurice Lindey. The woman disappears into the night but the enchanted Maurice finally locates her, and becomes friends with Genevieve and her older husband (who finds Maurice to be useful in his ...more
Denise
Jun 04, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2016
Dumas's (almost) lost novel is set in 1793 Paris and involves a small group of conspirators surrounding a man known as the Knight of Maison-Rouge (loosely based on a true historical figure) who hatch a number of plots to free the imprisoned Queen Marie Antoinette. Intrigue, adventure, heroism and romance - Dumas is entertaining as ever in this lates of his tales to find its way onto my bookshelves. Lorin with his penchant for silly poetry and steadfast loyalty has instantly become one of favouri ...more
Dallas Doctor
Mar 16, 2009 Dallas Doctor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I realize, of course, that this is "French Literature Lite," but I really enjoy these books. Rather guiltily, I plow through these stories of heroes and heroines, of nobility and honor and love and tragedy, and it's a great ride. I fully admit that it's not Hugo, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for Dumas too!
Carly
My absolute favorite book by Dumas. The characters are flawlessly constructed and the story is engaging. Dumas's prose is just gorgeous. This book was so good it almost made me cry. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that I don't love the translation. However, this does seem to be one of the only English translations readily available, so I can live with it.
Mari
Oct 08, 2012 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Extremely bittersweet and endlessly captivating. It's often hard to find a book that makes you smile through the tragedy, but alas, Dumas is a master storyteller and is therefore capable of the impossible.
Abby
Mar 29, 2009 Abby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh. maurice didn't know the girl he liked was in on it? really? it was so obvious from the first 20 pages that either maurice is an idiot or love is blinder for him than most.
Ladiibbug
#5 (and final) Marie Antoinette Romance series - Historical Fiction

Dumas wraps up this exciting historical fiction (loosely based on facts, but definitely embellished) series. As usual, the plot is complex, intriguing, dangerous, palace plots and sub-plots, colorful characters.

In 2018 I plan on reading a different new-to-me Dumas series.
Bryan Rodas
Oct 24, 2016 Bryan Rodas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bueno que les digo fue una sorpresa de las buenas el leer a Dumas su narración es excelente la historia fue muy interesante y bueno para terminar un final trágico definitivamente le aplaudo y quiero leer más libros de él definitivamente un libro que vale la pena leer.
Marian
Oct 03, 2016 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Fergus
There's a reason why this book was almost lost. It's a stinker.

I love Dumas, but this time he drops the ball. Writing a morality polemic in the pathetic aesthetic and disguising it as romantic adventure is a pretty low blow to the reader. Hey, I want that kind of stuff I'll read Victor Hugo's Toilers of the Sea or the Hunchback of Notre Dame!

I mean, really. The nerve!

It could have been great. Young super-patriot of the French revolution Maurice and his bestie are elite prison guards with a consc
Etienne Mahieux
Mar 24, 2015 Etienne Mahieux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexandre Dumas est un coupeur de têtes. Que l'on songe à Milady. Que l'on songe à La Môle et Coconnas — ah oui, il aime beaucoup aussi les Orestes et les Pylades, ces amis dévoués jusqu'à la mort. Dès lors, il est ironique qu'on se souvienne avant tout pour ses romans Louis XIII (ou Louis XIV jeune) de cet amoureux de la période révolutionnaire : en bon romancier romantique il se souciait de ce moment de l'Histoire qui innervait profondément la période qu'il vivait et en influençait la création ...more
Martina
The novel is set during the French Revolution, specifically during the so called "reign of Terror", France is at war against the rest of Europe, there's a royalist insurrection in Vendee and everyone suspects everyone of being a traitor. The protagonist is a young revolutionary officer universally considered a patriot and a model citizen.
The book has an interesting plot, it is terribly unfortunate that most of the characters I should have liked, and the protagonist in particular, are terribly, i
Carole Rae
It was a nice ride. This book is like the ferris wheel at amusement parks. It's just a simple and relaxing ride. It's not the most popular ride, but everyone pretty much enjoys it. This is not Mr. Dumas' best book.

'The Knight of Maison-Rouge' is not a typical book I usually read. It heavily shows the Revolutionaries side and a little bit of Marie Antoinette's side. Too be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of this one. Yes, it did show a different viewpoint and it shows a very strong-willed and courage
Christina Dudley
Detailing the exploits of a valiant young man unexpectedly embroiled in Royalist plots to rescue Marie Antoinette, this novel would make a great movie. Like A TALE OF TWO CITIES, there are several mawkish, sentimental scenes (including the conclusion), but the fact that Marie Antoinette doesn't ultimately escape doesn't prevent Dumas from building suspense. The translation occasionally distracted me with its odd idioms--"bites the dust" was used twice without being the least bit tongue-in-cheek, ...more
Carla
Apr 29, 2008 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had such high expectations for this novel. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books. I didn't think I would be so disappointed reading this novel. It was a struggle to get through. Alexandre Dumas is, of course, a good writer. But this novel seemed to be missing a lot; I didn't even find the characters engaging. I wasn't intrigued by the plot he seemed to be trying to weave. I don't think he was trying to build sympathy for the revolution, but rather, for the love story. Even when ...more
Michelle Bacon
Jan 01, 2015 Michelle Bacon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I realized in reading this book was that I have a woeful lack of knowledge about the French Revolution. I now have to remedy that, so suggestions for good non-fiction accounts of the French Revolution are being accepted. :-)

I genuinely loved this book; it is definitely a "swashbuckler," but in all the best ways -- a great, dramatic tale, with great, honor-bound characters. I had somehow skipped over Dumas prior to this, but now will go back to scoop up the Three Musketeers and Co
Jun 14, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Dumas I've ever read, and I really enjoyed it. It's about Maurice, a Republican who falls for Genevieve, a married woman. Genevieve is tied up in a plot, along with her husband and with the Knight of Maison-Roughe, to rescue Marie-Antoinette from prison. Maurice unknowingly becomes a party to the plot, putting himself, and his best friend, Lorin, in grave danger.

It was funny because even though I knew Marie-Antoinette's fate going into the book, I still wanted the Knight to su
Jon
Oct 13, 2010 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, classics
Classic French bodice-ripper based around various plots to free the captive Marie Antoinette in French Revolution Paris. Bit slow to start and in danger of being as deathly awful and grim as Dickens' Tale of 2, from the same era. Its not easy to sit through grim as grim can be Paris with heads rolling left right and centre, im very loathe to pick up the lengthy Les Mis now. In Dumas style though, there is humour and it does reach a swashbuckling page turner pace for the 2nd half. Really not a pa ...more
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 Victoria Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Highly romanticised plot to rescue Marie Antoinette by the Chevalier, who with friends and in various disguises enlists the help of young soldier. Based on real life person and events, this is such a bloodthirsty period in French history and of course we know the outcome. She was hated and treated very badly, as was the Dauphin. I like the fact Dumas doesn't shy away from the inevitable conclusion that his characters are going to their death.(I was initially shocked by the ending of Marquerite d ...more
Jessica Brockmole

Set during the French Revolution, this story centres around the imprisoned Marie Antoinette and a ring of royalists led by a shadowy figure calling himself the Knight of Maison-Rougue. Full of secret messages, hidden identities, attempted jail breaks, denunciations and executions.

Exciting story, but fairly predictable. It was obvious to me from early on in the book what all of the secrets were, and the fact that this was so transparent, made the main character, Maurice, look pretty oblivious.
Brooke
Jul 15, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Dumas. It is set during the French Revolution, Marie Antoinette is in jail, and the Knight of Maison Rouge is determined to free her. The story was a fascinating lesson on the French Revolution and the craziness of that time. There's innocence corrupted, failed jail breaks, and a love story to boot. Spoiler: like other Dumas tales, this doesn't have a happy ending...but how could it? It was the French Revolution. Completely intriguing. Loved it.
Lily
Nov 19, 2012 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Dramatic. Lorin is just a great character, he's so light-hearted and loyal. I fell in love with him almost instantly. Genevieve was alright, i guess, but her character was a little weak; I like Marie-Antionette better. I like Dumas's portrayal of The French Revolution and the feeling of the people involved, even though he does stretch historical fact sometimes.

The translation kinda sucked in some places, though, where modern phrases and words were thrown in. (Zounds? Wince.)
Sam
Mar 01, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
This was my first foray into Dumas and I really enjoyed his style and this story about Marie Antoinette and her Knights of Maison-Rouge. You get all that you would expect from an Alexander Dumas book Paris, swordfights, intrigue, betrayal, honor and love, in a condensed 400 pages vs. jumping right into The Count of Monte Cristo with runs a whopping 1400+. I'm excited to read more by Dumas but I'll have to set aside several weeks for the other books, none of which seem to be under 1000 pages.
Larry
Apr 20, 2008 Larry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Dumas stories. All the history, swashbuckling and adventure of 18th century France. This book takes place during the French revolution and is a condemnation of it and its excesses. Against the back drop of a chaotic time it tells a love story of a Knight and a Revolutionary and the conflicts and issues that arise. It parallels A Tale of Two Cities in many ways but gives a different point of view. It is worth reading in my view.
Helen Azar
Nov 09, 2012 Helen Azar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not the best Dumas book, still, in the great tradition of The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask, this lesser known novel doesn't disappoint. I don't know how I missed it in my "All Dumas All the Time" childhood! But glad I finally caught up to it now. Definitely recommended for historical fiction fans.
Laurel Moran
*spoiler alert*: At first I couldn't put this book down (exciting schemes to save the queen, romance...etc.), then it bogged down a bit in the middle, and in the end, all of the main characters die (some take their own lives and three by the guillotine). A story of love and loyalty. Kind of weird that the Knight (the title of the book!) dies before the book ends.
  • Trianon: A Novel of Royal France
  • The Gods Will Have Blood
  • To the Scaffold: The Life of Marie Antoinette
  • The Toilers of the Sea
  • Carmen and Other Stories
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...

The Marie Antoinette Romances (5 books)
  • Joseph Balsamo
  • The Queen's Necklace
  • Taking the Bastile
  • The Countess de Charny

“C’est que l’on a souvent pour ennemis des gens qu’on voudrait avoir pour amis.” 2 likes
“Il y a des époques fatales où la prière, cet hymne naturel que Dieu a mis au fond du cœur de l’homme, devient suspecte aux yeux des hommes, car la prière est un acte d’espoir ou de reconnaissance.” 1 likes