Start by marking “The Second Objective” as Want to Read:
The Second Objective

The Second Objective

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  406 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Bestselling author Mark Frost makes a triumphant return to fiction with this riveting World War II thriller, based on a shocking real-life German operation run by "the most dangerous man in Europe."

Fall 1944. Germany is losing, and the Americans are starting to hope they'll be home for Christmas. Lieutenant Colonel Otto Skorzeny, "Hitler's Commando," famed for his daring r
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Objective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Objective

Bill Khaemba
Holy Shit that was a fun ride!!!!

One of those Spy-War-Thriller-Mystery type books that keeps you turning the pages. Mark Frost's writing style is simple and easy to get in to and for all those who are afraid of World war books, this is a great place to start.

The story essentially follow two perspectives during the end of world war 2, the Allies have substantiate and kind of won the battle against the Soviets, or have they?... Hitler has another devious plan under his sleeve....

He initiates th
Nick
Jun 13, 2011 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
Lots of action in this one. The story is dedicated to moving the reader along as the characters try to defy a nonstoppable battle at the end of WWII. Friost mixes a lot of researched information about a Second Objective of Hitler's in his last days when some English speaking German Assassins were sent in to infiltrate the Allied troops, an objective that ended in tragedy for almost all concerned. Frost takes what little is known from this mission and draws up a plausible story of real human bein ...more
Steve
Apr 21, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction, especially World War II, so this book caught my attention immediately. World War II always intrigues me because of the strategic creativity involved on all sides. It was quite an interesting war.

The storyline of The Second Objective follows a unit of German soldiers who are trained to look, speak, and act like Americans in order to infiltrate the American military infrastructure in Europe and sabotage American efforts there. The entire unit is informed of their first o
Cheryl
In the winter of 1944, the Allied forces in Europe knew that the defeat of Germany was close. In a final attempt to turn the tide of the war, Hitler assigned Lieutenant Colonel Otto Skorzeny to direct and carry out a top secret mission which, if successful, would drive a wedge between the Allied commanders and thus ensure victory for Germany.

Details of Mission Greif were kept classified for 50 years after World War II ended. Author Mark Frost has incorporated details about this mission and the r
Jim Willse
Feb 19, 2016 Jim Willse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Entertaining blend of real history and imagined events during the Battle of the Bulge, when Hitler sent squads of English-speaking troops behind Allied lines with a special mission- the "second objective." We all know how it turned out, but there's suspense nonetheless.
Wordsmith
Intriguing premise that kept me reading and held my interest until the end. An author can't ask for more than that, really. A good job from Mark Frost.
Stephen
Feb 12, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World War II stories are some of my favorites. This one is well written and is a mixture of historical facts and a tale woven into the events of late 1944. The Germans are desperate and Hitler is planning a final surprise to drive the Allies back to England . If this plan succeeds, he will be able to concentrate on the Eastern Front and hope to push the Russians back to Moscow.
Small squads of German infiltrators are trying to exploit the weaknesses in the Allied forces making up the line protec
Donald Shank
Mar 04, 2016 Donald Shank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on documents of real people and events declassified 50 years after the war, this is a fascinatig story of German soldiers who crossed Allied lines during the Battle of the Bulge dressed as American GI's.
Part fact, part fiction, this is a well written, action paked page turner, a great summer read just made for a hammock and a pitcher of iced tea.
Darwin Torrejon
Jan 27, 2015 Darwin Torrejon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, won't be able to stop reading it, it is pretty informative, if you like WWII history, then definitely have to read it because it goes along with it, the end is what I didn't like personally but I'm sure many others readers did.
Herbert Kilby
May 03, 2015 Herbert Kilby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The battle of the Bulge has been covered in many books; however, only passing comment has been given to what is the tale told here. A well told story that keeps you reading.
Ronn
Jun 19, 2014 Ronn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WWII espionage thriller, pretty good page-turner. Interesting characters, interesting plot. Considering the fact that we know at the point that one opens the book that the bad guys are going to lose big time, it's still compelling. I'm glad I read it.
Karenjuvenal
Seemed like an overly long historical fiction about an attempt on Eisenhower's life during the last days of WWWII.
Ryan
Sep 19, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Incredibly interesting and well-written book. Mark Frost is one of my favorite writers and always paints interesting characters that you care about. The reason I didn't give this book a '5 star' ratting was it got a little ridiculous/spy-novelish towards the end. Von Leinsdorf (the antagonist) got out of so many sticky situations and, it seemed, was prepared for absolutely everything! He had all the right tools at the right times, and was able to outsmart just about all of the Allied forces - af ...more
Brian Bigelow
Mar 23, 2016 Brian Bigelow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kudos to the author. What a fascinating mixture of reality and fantasy.
Ismi
Feb 19, 2016 Ismi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I really like this kind of stories, tough always is in the POV of jew people. This was diferent because was from the POV of a german soldier and an american. I really liked this. I have to admit that I fell for Von Leinsdorf, I know he was a psycopath and a sociopath and he was just insane, but... I don't know, I liked him so much. I liked that end and this was just a great book.
Reuben Laframboise
Jun 17, 2010 Reuben Laframboise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was one of those rare books that you read and enjoy immensely. It's a sort of fictional re-telling of Hitler's last offensive in 1944. It reminded me a bit of Inglorious Basterds, though I suspect Mark Frost's book was more accurate than Tarantino's film. The Second Objective was well-written, descriptive; the characters were well-developed; and the story was interesting. I recommended this book to a friend who also loves history, and I'd recommend it to anyone else with an interest in WWII ...more
Betty
Apr 04, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
This was an interesting historical fiction. Otto Skorzeny is using the final German offensive at the Battle of the Bulge to cover a Nazi assassination attempt on Eisenhower in an effort to destabilize Allied central command. Frost focuses on one of the five squads sent behind Allied lines to accomplish that mission and the CID officer who stumbles on the plot. A couple of coincidences strain credulity, but by and large, Frost pulls off the story, crafting an action-packed war story.
BarbraW
Oct 02, 2007 BarbraW rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: notmybook
I'm not much of a crime reader, but I really liked this book. Based on actual events, the story covers a covert Nazi military action towards the end of WWII. It moves between both sides - the Nazis trying to infiltrate American troops and the American military detective trying to track them down.

The ending is a little anticlimactic but the rest of the book was an intriguing read. Not high literature, but a great beach or sitting-on-the-deck book.
Mary Wagner
My knowledge of WWII is not the greatest, so I did not realize that this was actually referring to real events, albeit fictionalized. I think it might be worthwhile knowing that going into the read, because I was actually thinking often how far-fetched it was.

I finished the book, but it took me days upon days of creeping through the book, and telling myself to finish it before I picked up another book. Not always the best sign in my mind.
Jason
Jul 23, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. A WWII setting and a fun, exciting story. After I was finished reading it I checked up to see if much of this story was true, and I was glad to see the main premise of the story was in fact historical. Otto Skorzeny did lead this attack on Eisenhower during the Battle of the Bulge with soldiers dressed as Allied soldiers. I think it makes the story that much better knowing it is woven with historical fact.
Helen
Jan 04, 2015 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I really liked the author's List of Seven books, where Sir Author Conan Doyle solves mysteries. This book, based upon an actual Nazi plot, feels more bogged down with facts that get in the way of the narrative and drag it down a bit. Though perhaps the real problem is I'm a bit burned out on WW2 books, both fact and fiction.

Either way, this was more of a meh than a yay! for me.
Leanna
Feb 15, 2012 Leanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book disappointed me. I really wanted to like it. I really enjoyed The List of Seven and The Six Messiahs, but the suspension of disbelief just didn't happen for me this time. In one chapter the point of view shifted three times. The French and German bits weren't very good. The date at the beginning of one chapter was noticeably wrong. All small things but together they eroded my enjoyment of the book.
Tony Randall
Jan 12, 2014 Tony Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great historical novel if you are interested in WWII and the events surrounding that war. Even if you're not, it's a great novel and captivating story.
Sandra
Oct 07, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good read about a secret mission by the Germans during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. The goal was to send Germans dressed as Americans behind the lines to disrupt Allied troops as the Germans launched a surprise attack. The title of the book refers to a "second objective" - killing Ike. Seems the material in the book is based on solid research.
Mary-Ann
A quick-paced book with lots of dialogue for someone who doesn't mind rough language and who likes the TV show MacGyver. You learn a lot of WWII history and Western European geography in the bargain. The Second Objective turned out to be a pretty good book discussion choice--nearly half the attendees last night were male!
Celia Pastoriza
It was well-written and enjoyable, but I didn't have any trouble putting it down at night. That may have more to do with circumstances (school vacation week) than the book. I found the discover of the actual second objective to be anti-climactic, and not the shocker that it was to the main characters.
Irene
Aug 24, 2010 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that there are 2 stories going on and I am looking forward to the clash.
Finished reading the book and I would give this a 3.5 and say it was a good read as to WWII and spies. Author did a great deal of research which made the book real true to the times.
Dennis D.
I read a review of this, and picked it up based on having enjoyed The Greatest Game Ever Played: A True Story.

Set in the waning days of WWII, this story is based on a actual Nazi covert attempt to strike at the Allied command even as they're losing the war.
Robert
Mar 30, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Read it in one day. I love the way Mark Frost writes. Even though this was a departure from his first two fiction books, he did an excellent job in capturing what it was like during the last days of WWII. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars if it would let me.
Jun 05, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Touching, Action packed with a little humor and some crying (on my part) along the way. Based on events that happened during WWII. If you like war tales (and I use the term loosely), you should enjoy this novel.
  • Warsaw
  • The History of Napoleon Buonaparte
  • Castles Burning: A Child's Life in War
  • In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II
  • The Dolphin People
  • Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1)
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • The Reign of Mary Tudor
  • Missy
  • The Ultimate Rush
  • The Fateful Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk During the World War, Book(s) Three & Four
  • Flight from Fear: A Rabbi's Holocaust Memoir (2nd Edition)
  • Justice at Nuremberg
  • Шпионский роман (Жанры, #2)
  • Simple Simon (Art Jefferson, #4)
  • Nemesis: The Final Case of Eliot Ness