Start by marking “When Light Breaks” as Want to Read:
When Light Breaks

When Light Breaks

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,127 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Garnering comparisons to Anne Rivers Siddons and Pat Conroy, Patti Callahan Henry has woven her lyrical Southern voice throughout the Lowcountry landscape. Now, as two women from opposite sides of the same sea meet, a tale unfolds that will draw you into the heart's remembrances--and the tender awakenings of first love....

Twenty-seven-year-old Kara Larson is bogged down in
Published May 1st 2006 by New American Library (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about When Light Breaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Light Breaks

Jencey/
Oct 22, 2016 Jencey/ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can the Past Haunt Your Future?
The next novel in our Pink Escape series is When Light Breaks by Patti Callahan Henry. This story asks the question can the past change the future? Is it worth investigating? Follow along this story set in South Carolina.
Synopsis:
Kara Larson is a manager for the country club. She works with Pros on the golf tour. She met her fiancé Peyton through her work with the PGA. She feels that she has everything she ever wanted. Then the benefit fundraiser comes along that
Cindy
Aug 09, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this read for three reasons: the age of the main character, the Irish connection, and inspiration. It's important to follow your heart, to listen to that, to stop to listen. Kara is happy to marry a wealthy golfer but she's always thoughtful of her teenage sweetheart. A "perfect" life can't be planned because it's life's unexpected turns that guarantee that happiness...if you take the chance.
Linda
Aug 28, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book and is the type of book that you will remember long after you've finished reading it. Ms. Henry is a great storyteller and her books are always good.

In this book, the heroine Kara Larson is engaged to a pro-golfer and she thinks he is everything she has always wanted. But her friend tells her that she is talking about him like he is a prize won in a game and asks Kara why she loves him. She couldn't think of a good reason but told her friend he reminded her of Jack, her former
Alyse
Feb 09, 2011 Alyse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth Browne
Dec 06, 2012 Beth Browne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Patti at a writer's conference where I mistook her for a participant until she stood up to give the keynote. She's a beautiful, sweet, down-to-earth woman, who loves her kids and her fictional characters. I picked up her book with some trepidation because I was afraid I wouldn't like it (for no good reason really) and was very pleased to find that I liked it very much.

The book is a story about stories with a strong female protagonist and a compelling plot. It's just the sort of book that d
Apr 30, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When Light Breaks” isn’t the most original book I have ever read. You know by the end of the second chapter what is going to happen. But, I do think the book’s theme of following your heart is very true to life…and a lesson that all of us need to learn.

I enjoyed Henry’s writing style. It was clean and easy to read. I also LOVE reading books set in the Low Country. So, I do find myself reading a lot books set along South Carolina/Georgia coast. (Pat Conroy is a favorite author.)

And there is defi
Julie Barrett
Dec 08, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When light breaks by Patti Callahan Henry
Have enjoyed the author's other works and know I will enjoy this one.
Story starts out with Kara and her teen years when she first touches his face. Years later she is still grieving for the death of her mother and meets Payton the local golf PGA player.
They date a few times til he asks her to marry him. She's now volunteering at the nursing home where an Irish woman quotes her phrases that make her think of her first love, Jack.
She is also the tour manage
Cathy
Dec 23, 2008 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics, southern women
Brandy
I'm sorry to say that I did not love "When Light Breaks." I thought I would, since "The Art of Keeping Secrets" by Patti Callahan Henry hit my list of favorites when I read it a few years ago. This book front-loaded the back story (which I know is tough to avoid in a book about regrets and coming to grips with the past, granted) and even though I usually love contemporaries with historical threads, this one left me cold. I think it was the way the elderly character Maeve Mahoney told her story a ...more
Alicia
Jul 07, 2010 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I fell in love with Patti Callahan Henry earlier this summer and I am slowly making my way through her wonderful books. This one did not disappoint and I think this might be my favorite so far.

The story of young love interrupted and the sudden re-appearance was not an original storyline, but Henry definitively made it her own and added some unique aspects to the story. While this book was not set in the low-country as many of her books are ( and one of my favorite parts) she still uses the image
Jessica
Oct 02, 2008 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
poorly written, characters under developed. The writer tries too hard and stretches to write meaning into all objects and conversations. the main character is laughable. her endless analysis is amusing at best (and this is coming from a person who overanalyzes everything!). I dont have anything good to say about this book except it wasnt bad enough for me to stop reading entirely and I managed to muddle through it to the end.
Vickie
When Light Breaks: the story of Charlotte and Jack and the introduction of Maeve Mahoney; great writing by Patti Callahan Henry; companion book to The Perfect Love Song so read this one first.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
Lyn
Jan 16, 2012 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patti Callahan Henry never disappoints. I enjoyed the changes that occurred in Kara Lawson throughout the story and how she was influenced and mesmerized by a ninety-six year old irish lady's story of first love. As Kara planned her wedding to Peyton, a golf pro, her thoughts are of her first love who with his Mom and Brother moved away suddenly. Thirteen years later she can not stop thinking about Jack.
Sue
Nov 17, 2012 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was just OK for me. It had a feel of Nicholas Sparks' work, which is sometimes a little much for me. Young woman is engaged to a professional golfer, meets an elderly woman in a nursing home where she volunteers, and is encouraged to think about and find her "first love" before going ahead with her wedding. All about what we can learn from a previous generation, and the power of a first love.
Kathleen
Jan 18, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-carolinas
Having recently discovered this author and enjoyed her latest book, I was disappointed in this book written two years before. I never connected with the main character, and the plot is a familiar one. The young woman comes to understand she is marrying the wrong man (even though he is handsome, wealthy, talented etc.) through her relationship with an elderly woman, whom she befriends as part of her Junior League responsibilities, who shares an Irish legend of lost love. Hmmmm.
Tamara
May 05, 2012 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favorite that I've read by this author. I didn't feel any connection or interest in the characters. I finished it to see the ending for both love stories, but I can't say I was all that invested. The characters just seemed flat. Not one of my favorites. I'm being generous because I have liked her other books.
Mary Baker
I didn't like the plot of this novel very much. I found it implausible and thought the various strands needed more development. People change over time because of environmental and social influences which I didn't feel the writer took into consideration. I do, however, enjoy Patti Callahan Henry's books more than those by most authors.
Bobbie Williams
Nov 16, 2015 Bobbie Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of her earlier books. Just slightly less impressive than her later ones. She really does flesh out her characters and makes you feel for them. She kept me wondering to the end who Kara would finally choose. I enjoyed the book but think her recent ones are better. Don't we all get better the more we do something?
Carmela
Mar 31, 2008 Carmela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Recommended to Carmela by: mom
Shelves: 50-in-year
This was a cute book with some tiny problems. There was sort of a mystical Irish influence to a story set in the American South, but sometimes the characters would talk in way that read as being Irish. It was confusing. But the story was simple and easy to read. It was light and delightful and cute.
Lisa
Sep 11, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story parallels the lost loves of and dying elderly Irish woman and a young woman in South Carolina. The Irish story is somewhat interesting but the contemporary tale is not. Plus, all of the labels of the clothes, shoes, purses the contemporary women wears are mentioned and this plus her general selfish attitude makes her a less than sympathetic character.
Dixie Brown
Not my favorite book by this author. The story was predictable and for a great deal of the book I didn't really like Kara. She seemed to be self absorbed, but in the end (although predictable) she did redeem herself and did the right thing. Still an entertaining story with some Irish legend mixed throughout.
Karen
Jun 26, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a young bride-to-be as she plans her wedding and looks to the life ahead of her and a 96 year-old woman who looks behind at her first love. Their stories do not overlap yet are very similar, as is the underlying legend that seems to be the basis of the elderly woman's history. This was a wonderful romantic story.
Leah
Aug 27, 2008 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable. Cheesy at times-but adorable.

One thing I did hate about this book and it might be stupid, but...EVERYONE had curly hair. Everyone in the whole story. It was just annoying.

But other than that -really- a cute read.
Liz
Aug 07, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice light summer read. This is the second book by her I have read. It wasn't as good as Between the Tides, but still a book I really enjoyed the characters and wanted to know them and their story.
Laura Beasley
Jun 26, 2012 Laura Beasley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story. First book I have read by this author but plan to read many more. SHe tells a good story. Believable and full of some good life lessons. Loved the main theme--follow your heart. Makes you think but in a good way.
Sep 01, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book I will remember, but it was a pleasant read. An easy book, read in about a day, that provided a nice diversion in these hot summer days when you can't do anything more strenuous than sit in an air conditioned room and read a book.
Elizabeth
Good for a quick read. Love this author, but had a tough time getting into the story at first. Once I was able to really concentrate though, it was good. Nice for traveling. Story about a girl searching for who she is.
Amy
Jun 22, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-10
Another Callahan Henry book, loved it!! This one follows a career minded gal planning her wedding until she volunteers at a nursing home and hears a story that leads to her seeking out her first love.
May 13, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patti Callahan Henry is one of my favorite southern writers. This was not her best but it didn't disappoint. A great love story entwined in the Irish story of the Claddagh. Very enjoyable read with a satisfying ending.
Judy Collins
Jul 26, 2012 Judy Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Powerful stories between women of different generations - inspiring - as our hearts communicate thru stories...first love, romance, Irish angels - great author and storyteller - making the characters come alive! "
  • Souvenir
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • A Crack in Forever
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Mr. Almost Right
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Public Marriage, Private Secrets
  • Lake Magic
  • Last Light over Carolina
  • Afternoon Delight
  • I Shot You Babe (Bombay Assassins, #4)
  • Die Gebannte (Die Alchimistin, #3)
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rotkäppchen muss weinen
  • Here Comes Trouble
207337
Patti Callahan Henry is the New York Times Bestelling novelist of eleven novels. Her latest is THE BOOKSHOP AT WATER'S END with Penguin Random House/Berkley

More about Patti Callahan Henry...

“People say it all the time--'follow your heart.' What are we supposed to do--take our heart out and walk around behind it--follow it down the sidewalk to the mall? Your feet will lead you to your heart. Ha!
"Maybe it just means you should know your heart, because if you know it, you might do what it says to do. I don't think it means you do whatever you damn well please. I don't think the heart speaks very loudly either--just tosses you hints and whispers.”
19 likes
“It is not about how it ends; it is about the journey. The full story. You have to know the full story to care about or know the ending.” 11 likes