Start by marking “The Marriage Book” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Book

The Marriage Book

How can we be happily marriage to one person for the whole of our lives? How do we resolve conflict? How can we discover and rediscover sexual intimacy? Full of practical advice, The Marriage Book is easy to read and is designed to prepare, build and even mend marriages.
Published August 2000 by Alpha International (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Book

Courtney Williams
Sep 17, 2012 Courtney Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm writing this review from the perspective of a non-Christian. Yes, there are a couple of comments about homosexuality that made me cringe and a few more anecdotes about Christianity saving marriages than probably necessary. However, the majority of the book is just solid, priceless advice for building a successful marriage. It might be just that little bit too alienating for gay couples to get through, which is the shame. (Maybe there is a more progressive equivalent out there that someone ca ...more
Aug 03, 2015 Vonetta rated it really liked it
After 3 years of marriage, my husband and I are doing the Marriage Course as a freshen-up. We're fine, but we wanted the refresher. It's been great! Reading the book, supplemented by the class, has had a powerful impact on our marriage. Like I said, we weren't in any way on the rocks, but we're closer than we've ever been because we've been conscious to listen to each other and to be gentle with each other, even beyond the physical. Even for non-Christians, I can see this book being helpful; it ...more
May 07, 2014 Faire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: relationships
We have done the Marriage Course (DVD + book + exercises) as a part of our curriculum in a YWAM Family Ministries School - and boy am I grateful for that! We had a good marriage but still the exercises made us to improve our communication and conflict resolution A LOT. They even challenged us to communicate clearly and openly about topics that we were avoiding before - sex, past hurts, problems. What is the strong point is the approach - the authors are not trying to micromanage the relations of ...more
Aug 16, 2015 Ekmef rated it did not like it
Vooral overslaan dit boek. Het is een hergekauwde samenvatting van 'Wat wil hij, wat wil zij' en 'de 5 talen van de liefde' - als je die boeken ooit gelezen hebt kan je dit boek gerust overslaan. Naast het feit dat ik me toch sterk afvraag of er ooit stellen bestaan die liever twee jaar zwijgen over een lullig incidentje dan gewoon direct aangeven dat een opmerking niet zo goed viel, lijken de schrijvers ook nog in het jaar nul te leven mbt visie op seksualiteit. Evidence based is het in het geh ...more
Michal Čop
Mar 28, 2016 Michal Čop rated it it was ok
Túto knihu sme čítali v rámci nášho manželského stretka a tak ju aj vnímam. Sedem tém, ktoré táto kniha rozoberá (dlhodobý cieľ, komunikácia, skutky lásky, konflikty, odpustenie, svokrovci a sex) tu nie sú komplexne rozobrané, skôr sú to len také prvé nástrely do jednotlivých oblastí manželského života. Nám osobne to vyhovovalo, keďže jednotlivé kapitoly nám slúžili ako podnety k diskusiám v rámci stretka.

Kniha je napísaná jednoduchým štýlom. Je to taká zmes populárnej psychológie a "populárneho
Apr 16, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book is superb, and perhaps superior to other marriage hand-books, because it is written as a book for any marriage and not just newly-weds. I can imagine myself reading it again (or at least some of the chapters) after our first year of marriage to refresh a lot of the ideas in my mind.

Also, the use of real situations from the authors' and other people's lives, as well as the support from various scriptures, grounds this book in reality and prevents the practical suggestions from being cre
Clifton Bartholomew
Sep 13, 2016 Clifton Bartholomew rated it it was amazing
This book is so great if you are thinking about marriage, are engaged or even if you are already married. It creates a thought framework which allows you to think about your relationship in a refreshing way. It is not an instruction book that tells you what to, but rather creates a space to allow you to think.

Very well written and I recommend it to all who want a reflective marriage.
Natalie Moore Goodison
Best marriage book I've encountered so far. It starts off with the personal story of the authors which makes the rest of the book so much more palatable. Seven down to earth, yet inspiring chapters that simply guide and help without judging. Best thing about the book is that it has a chapter on 'good sex' something most Christian marriage books hardly touch. It doesn't answer or include everything, but it's a good start.
Aug 06, 2011 Mya added it
Hubby and I read this together (which is why it took so long). Definitely a good one to give as a wedding present (together with "The 5 Love Languages"). There are also appendices related to things like "Are we ready for marriage" and "The engagement" and "budgeting" (all of which we skipped having been through that already). Also the kind of book that one can learn different things at different times.
Jan 13, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
good book with useful ideas, speaks a lot of truth. Can be read and enjoyed if you are not Christian like myself but if you are very anti religious you may find some references to prayer and the role of the Christian God in marraige grating.
Eric Chappell
Nov 12, 2014 Eric Chappell rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reading
A solid & helpful book on marriage. The authors provide some great practical tactics for working through the ordinary problems in marriage.
David Holdsworth
Sep 03, 2015 David Holdsworth rated it liked it
This book was good in that it helps couples consider the journey they will/are taking together. Some good advice from a married couple, always a bonus. However it seems a bit dry and boring in parts.
Iain Hamill
Good book with very broad access. Not as Biblically based or thorough as Keller's marriage book but it doesn't aim to be. Particularly strong section on communication.
Oct 14, 2013 Danny rated it it was amazing
After almost loosing my wife, we both read this book whilst restoring our marriage. We have found it to be so useful and would recommend it to any couple
useful to look at again and again. considered approach to one of the most difficult relationships we have to nurture and grow
Mar 21, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. This book took me our entire first year of marriage to get through, but it's been super useful.
Maria Swanson
Maria Swanson marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Benjamin Johnson
Benjamin Johnson rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Andrew DeBartolo
Andrew DeBartolo rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Diana Marini
Diana Marini marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Ronald Brandt Silva
Ronald Brandt Silva marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Samuel Raj
Samuel Raj is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2016
Iona Pearson
Iona Pearson is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2016
Ton Lassooij
Ton Lassooij marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Dom marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Kelly marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Dionne marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fern Seed And Elephants
  • Revolve Devotional Bible-NCV
  • Reverse Dictionary (Readers Digest)
  • Dig Deeper: Tools for Understanding God's Word
  • Empire of Sand
  • When Things Start to Think
  • Incomparable
  • The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • Three Jacobean Tragedies: The White Devil; The Revenger's Tragedy; The Changeling
  • Survival Of The Fittest: The Anatomy of Peak Physical Performance