Start by marking “Talking to God: Personal Prayers for Times of Joy, Sadness, Struggle, and Celebration” as Want to Read:

After the publication of her best-selling book To Begin Again, Naomi Levy received a flood of feedback from readers telling her how much the prayers in it had helped and moved them. Many urged her to publish a collection of her prayers—and now she has.

In a time when we all need inspiration, comfort, and connection, Talking to God will help us reclaim prayer as an integral
Published October 21st 2003 by Image (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Talking to God, please sign up.

ELIZABETH ANN SMITH just buy it and read it. is that what you mean?

Katy Koivastik
Dec 10, 2016 Katy Koivastik rated it it was amazing
I loved this compact, beautifully typeset volume. The lovely deep red olive leaf (?) borders presage this book about the power of simplicity, thanksgiving and gratitude.

Rabbi Levy has prayers for every conceivable eventuality of life and intersperses them with stories and anecdotes.

An example is the story "Birthday" about Rabbi Levy taking her children to the library week after week and seeing a wrinkled, grey-haired lady teaching a woman in her thirties to read. Finally she sees the younger wo
Michale
Jan 15, 2012 Michale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Naomi Levy’s book Talking to God, which includes the “Prayer Before Surgery” which I have found so helpful with patients and have passed on to others. She writes of experiences of feeling unable to pray, and when that particular door does open. There are many more prayers here that I hope to use both personally and with patients in the future. She is able to articulate a childlike questioning of circumstances that I find evoke my own feelings and those of others with whom I have shared ...more
Dana
Mar 27, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Recently, my husband read the prayers to me (and to the Lord) that were dedicated to pregnancy, labor and children. They made us cry...and be filled with the joy of the Lord. It has been a wonderful blessing...especially when you don't know what or how to pray, this book seems to be filled with words that are in my heart.
Jacqueline
Feb 02, 2016 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This books contains many healing words and ideas. Levy's outlook on faith and her relationship with the divine is both realistic and thoughtful. I would recommend this book for spiritual comfort over other books I have read on the topic.
Susie Webster-toleno
Very helpful in a hospice chaplaincy context. Lots of people who are facing death or loss want to pray (even if they see themselves as not religious) but feel they don't know how. Sharing prayers from this book frees them to see prayer as conversation rather than arcane formula.
Leslie
Aug 22, 2008 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for words of comfort joy and healing
there's always a moment when the moment is overwhelming. I find inspiration and comfort when Naomi Levy has the words that comfort me. I know i'm never alone. Always on my nightstand
Jennifer Cassell
Feb 16, 2016 Jennifer Cassell rated it liked it
Filled with suggested prayers for many different occasions, I feel that Ms. Levy's first book, To Begin Again, was more real and more helpful.
Daphne B
Daphne B rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Lisa Hofheimer
Lisa Hofheimer rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
Susie Benanti-Cohen
Susie Benanti-Cohen rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
ELIZABETH ANN SMITH
ELIZABETH ANN SMITH rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2008
David Carroll
David Carroll rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Ivana Popovic
Ivana Popovic rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2011
Harry
Harry rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Helen Solis
Helen Solis rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Bitsy
Bitsy rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Zach Zysman
Zach Zysman rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Sylvia J. Most
Sylvia J. Most rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2014
Tara Klein
Tara Klein rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Jen Gubitz
Jen Gubitz rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Karen Tintori
Karen Tintori rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

“A Prayer for Daily Insight
Open my eyes, God. Help me to perceive what I have ignored, to uncover what I have forgotten, to find what I have been searching for. Remind me that I don't have to journey far to discover something new, for miracles surround me, blessings and holiness abound. And You are near.
Amen.”
3 likes
“Thank you for the time we shared, for the love you gave, for the wisdom you spread. I will always treasure the lessons you taught me. I will carry them with me all the days of my life. I am so proud to be your child.
-From A Prayer When a Parent Dies”
2 likes