Talking to God: Personal Prayers for Times of Joy, Sadness, Struggle, and Celebration

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  4 reviews
After the publication of her best-selling book To Begin Again, Naomi Levy received a flood of feedback from readers telling her how much the prayers in it had helped and moved them. Many urged her to publish a collection of her prayers—and now she has.

In a time when we all need inspiration, comfort, and connection, Talking to God will help us reclaim prayer as an integral...more
Published October 21st 2003 by Image (first published 2002)

Michale
I enjoyed Naomi Levy’s book Talking to God, which includes the “Prayer Before Surgery” which I have found so helpful with patients and have passed on to others. She writes of experiences of feeling unable to pray, and when that particular door does open. There are many more prayers here that I hope to use both personally and with patients in the future. She is able to articulate a childlike questioning of circumstances that I find evoke my own feelings and those of others with whom I have shared...more
Dana
I love this book. Recently, my husband read the prayers to me (and to the Lord) that were dedicated to pregnancy, labor and children. They made us cry...and be filled with the joy of the Lord. It has been a wonderful blessing...especially when you don't know what or how to pray, this book seems to be filled with words that are in my heart.
Susie Webster-toleno
Very helpful in a hospice chaplaincy context. Lots of people who are facing death or loss want to pray (even if they see themselves as not religious) but feel they don't know how. Sharing prayers from this book frees them to see prayer as conversation rather than arcane formula.
Leslie
Aug 22, 2008 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for words of comfort joy and healing
there's always a moment when the moment is overwhelming. I find inspiration and comfort when Naomi Levy has the words that comfort me. I know i'm never alone. Always on my nightstand
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 23, 2014
gary h dicker
gary h dicker marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2013
Trace
Trace added it
Oct 26, 2013
April Goldstein
April Goldstein marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Audra
Audra marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Carol
Carol added it
May 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Hope Will Find You: My Search for the Wisdom to Stop Waiting and Start Living To Begin Again: The Journey Toward Comfort, Strength, and Faith in Difficult Times To Begin Again: The journey towards comfort, strength and faith in difficult times Learning national identity: Schooling effects in post-conflict Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia. Saying No and Letting Go: Jewish Wisdom on Making Room for What Matters Most

“A Prayer for Daily Insight
Open my eyes, God. Help me to perceive what I have ignored, to uncover what I have forgotten, to find what I have been searching for. Remind me that I don't have to journey far to discover something new, for miracles surround me, blessings and holiness abound. And You are near.
Amen.”
3 likes
“Thank you for the time we shared, for the love you gave, for the wisdom you spread. I will always treasure the lessons you taught me. I will carry them with me all the days of my life. I am so proud to be your child.
-From A Prayer When a Parent Dies”
1 likes