Start by marking “Felt Wee Folk: Enchanting Projects” as Want to Read:
Felt Wee Folk: Enchanting Projects

Felt Wee Folk: Enchanting Projects

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
A guide to creating Salley Mavor's charming, bendable Wee Folk fairies and dolls. There are 18 wee folk projects featuring dolls, pins, purses, chequebook and cell phone covers, and more. No sewing machine is required.
Published February 1st 2003 by C&T Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Felt Wee Folk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Felt Wee Folk

Melki
Jul 30, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing
The projects in this book are beyond adorable!

Tiny wooden-headed dolls with acorns for caps wearing easy-to-make felt clothing.

What's not to love?

With their pipe cleaner bodies, I'm guessing these wee folk would not hold up well to active children's play, but many of my middle-aged friends have one or two sitting on their computer monitors as mascots. There are plenty of project ideas involving the dolls, but also a section in the back on making gorgeously embroidered felt pins (these make fan
Athena
Feb 04, 2016 Athena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crafters, kids, & those interested unusual arts
Terrific reference work for anyone wanting to use felt, pipe cleaners & other cheap supplies to create fun, memorable, personalized little dolls. Mavor's book is charmingly readable and very easy to use.

I've made small felt dolls for years, with a differently shaped armature than that suggested by the author & using Fimo clay for heads, hands & boots - we have one for each family member on our holiday tree, amongst other odd places they turn up in the house. I really appreciate how,
Rhiana
May 04, 2010 Rhiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
In Felt Wee Folk Salley Mavor uses her artistic talent, design school education and children’s illustration experience to present numerous project ideas for creating small little folk from the forest. The projects are geared towards all ages and the finished projects can have a multitude of uses.

Read more at Suite101: Felt Wee Folk -– Enchanting Projects by Salley Mavor http://craftbooks.suite101.com/articl...
Helen
Jul 31, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
This is a must-have for grandmothers. When the girls came in the door, they said, "Grandma, we wanna make fairies!" So I think we made about 20 fairies, princes and vampires today inspired by this book and my granddaughters. There was a whole lot of make believe going on. I'm exhausted and my head hurts from all the chatter. Nothing sparks story telling and fantasy more than pipe cleaners, felt, and fairies! It is a GREAT book!
Laura Rogers
Jun 02, 2009 Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing
Love it, Love it, Love it. Did I say I loved it?!
But really, easy instructions to make the cutest little people for seasonal tables, dollhouses, etc. We made some of these and I LOVE IT.
Megan Davis
Apr 18, 2010 Megan Davis rated it it was amazing
Awe-inspiring! Beautiful felt/tapestry/embroidery art work, with tons of patterns and instructions for adorable mini dolls. :)
Kirsten
Mar 06, 2014 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
I love this one. Easy to follow directions and great pictures.
Karen Hartshorn
Feb 22, 2013 Karen Hartshorn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: moms with little girls, crafters
Got this book today, already read it. Time to get started on my fairy for art pictures! This book is sweet. The are directions to make fairies and little people in many different sizes 1.5 inches to 4 inches. They are made of wood beads, pipe cleaners, felt, silk flowers, found natural object (acorn caps which I don't find around here). There are directions for mini purses and other little bags with felt embellishments. This is definitely a great book. Would be good for a mom of little girls.
Kellie
Jun 13, 2010 Kellie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafting
Cute little dolls. The author's own story of her development as an artist and the photos of her art are very interesting. I like that she provides a method for doll-making for kids and adults of varying degrees of skill, and that the dolls' base is made of pipe cleaners which makes them very posable. I prefer her designs for the regular little dolls with embroidered felt clothing to the fairies though. She also has a number of cute patterns for other felt projects - like small purses.
Heidi
Jan 19, 2010 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Again with the crafty stuff. This book is just plain enchanting. I saw it referenced in another book, so I thought I'd check it out. It has step by step instructions for making dolls out of pipe cleaners, wooden beads, and felt. Since I had everything it called for except the beads, I made a few while sitting in front of the TV one night. Granted, they're headless for the moment until I can pick up some beads, but they're really cute. Even Matt had to admit they're pretty neat.
Meridee
Jun 15, 2008 Meridee rated it it was amazing
These little friends are so cute. I've made a few and had a good time doing them. Some craft projects turn out to be too hard but these were really fun and quite easy. Part of me really wants to believe in fairies and this book contributes to that wish.
Charles
Feb 11, 2012 Charles marked it as abandoned
Shelves: reference
Interesting little thing the wife picked up at the library. Can't help but skim through & be amazed at all the clever ideas. Keeping here in case I ever need to find it again for a craft project with the kid...
Susan
Jan 13, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
I love Ms. Mavor's art! Having it broken down in steps to make one's own attempt at is really awesome.
Marian
Mar 17, 2008 Marian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafty folks
Shelves: dolls
Such endearing little easy felt people with their acorn caps, I think everyone I met fell in love with them!
Joy
Apr 25, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
I love this craft book. Great illustrations and fun projects. Of course I loved making these felt people.
Sally
Feb 24, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty, eye-candy
Totally cool little people made from wire, embroidery floss and wool. Just scrumptious.
Barbara
Nov 22, 2011 Barbara added it
Shelves: craft
I haven't this book yet, but will when the right story inspires me.!!
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 26, 2016
Zella Sky
Zella Sky marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
JoLee
JoLee rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lara
Lara added it
Jan 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 19, 2016
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2016
Silke
Silke added it
Dec 27, 2015
Chris Daly
Chris Daly rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I have always liked forming and manipulating small materials with my hands. Paper and pencil were never enough for me. Somehow, in my experience as a child, my own art was unfinished and plain unless something “real” was added. Treasures would be glued, stapled or sewn onto a creation to make it complete.
Years later, while at the Rhode Island School of Design, I rediscovered my childhood delight
More about Salley Mavor...