Start by marking “Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason, #3)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason, #3)

Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Eldritch forces wreak havoc in this stunning third volume in the 'Age of Unreason' quartet When Sir Isaac Newton uncovered the secrets of alchemy, he could never have imagined the tragic results. Dark sorcery rules. Europe is lost and the American colonists have been driven south. The demonic creatures known as the Malekim won't tolerate even a flicker of hope. Any who opp ...more
Paperback
Published June 17th 2005 by Tor Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Unreason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of Unreason

Adysnewbox
If you've made it this far into the series, you'll probably still enjoy this third entry. Empire Of Unreason (AKA S**** Gets Real In America!) is an interesting alternate take on the founding of the United States. Instead of throwing off King George, we're throwing off the Jacobites, who are really puppets of the demon-controlled Russian Empire! Who have also crossed the Bering Land Bridge and are invading America from the west as well! With airships! And huge death-rays! And Enlightenment-era s ...more
Nicolas
Que peut faire un auteur lorsqu’il a désintégré l’Europe, a failli s’attaquer à l’Afrique, tout en faisant de la Russie une nation légèrement attardée ? Simplement franchir l’Atlantique. Et c’est ce que fait Keyes dans ce troisième tome qui emmène les personnages survivants en Amérique, pour notre plus grand plaisir. Parce que si le deuxième tome était à mon sens un peu loupé, les dix ans d’intervalle qu’il place entre ces deux derniers tomes lui permet de remettre à plat un certain nombre de ch ...more
Sean
Honestly i din't think i'd like this book quite as much as i did. Colonial historic fiction/sci-fi/fantasy is a first for me, and admittedly i was a little leery particularly of one starring such famous historical figures as voltaire & benjamin franklin. The whole concept of benjamin franklin leading a secret force against demonic forces trying to take foothold in america and priming an apocalypse was pretty interesting. But altogether it was very well written, strikingly original, and overa ...more
Brie
Ok so this is the third book of the series and it is by far my least favorite ever. It took me 5 times as long to read as the others because it couldn't seem to grab my attention. It really felt like a whole book where everyone walks around lost not really accomplishing anything as they ever so very slowly get nowhere. I didn't like the weird relationship issues it brought between many of the main characters and I really didn't care for the slow almost non existent way they moved. Yeah it wasn't ...more
Andrew
OK first admission - this book has taken me ages to read and its not all the stories fault - there have been just too many other distractions and other books to read. So why have I marked it down. Well if the story was truly captivating I would not be able to put it down.
OK less of the excuses and more of the book. This is the third of the series and as you would expect they are upping the stakes - the characters you saw come together in the previous books are now heading off on their own adven
Robert Negut
I am noticing more issues with the writing, but that may well be because I'm looking for them more. Otherwise, it's still a very ambitious story that required an immense amount of work. This time around, the number of answers seems to slowly start to exceed that of new questions, and those answers do make quite a lot of sense, so I'm looking forward to the final book in the series, even though at the same time I dread a potentially disappointing ending or even worse writing.
Anna
How exciting! This is one of the most intriguing mish/mash of genres books i have ever read. Benjamin Franklin battling evil angels in a completely steampunk setting alongside Voltaire and other famous historical figures. Such a fun meld of Verne style Sci-Fi, western action, biblical fantasy, high politics and real history. I look forward to reading the first two now.
Andy
A continuation of the Age of Unreason....

Not as good as the first two books, but enjoyable nonetheless.... Demons/Angels seem to be an easy route to control nature, but... are the Malakim angels or demons or both?

After the destruction of London by a comet sent my the French, and the upheaval this causes in Europe and beyond, North America is plunged into war...
Tal
much faster paced than it's predecessors, this is a book of a world at the beginning of a Russio-American war. or rather, the malakim versus humanity. or possibly one woman's search for her son.

in actuality, it's all of the above and i'm now more interested in book 4 :)

Karen
I am really struggling with this one... I loved the first book. It took me 2 tries, but I did like the second book. I find that I keep loosing interest in the third one. Is it me? Is it the story line? I don't know...
Violetta
Book #3 has fallen into a dangerous area, where too much of it is spent reviewing plot from previous books, and rehashing conversations and ideas developed in previous chapters.
edifanob
Last but one book of the series. Some unexpected turnarounds. My favorite characters Benjamin Franklin, Red Shoes and Adrienne de Montchevreuil are still alive.
Boyd
This was a great alternative history/fantasy series. You have to read all of them to get the full picture. But I think the first one is still the best book.
Octavio Aragao
The weakest book of the series till now. I don’t know if I will buy the fourth one.
Pickleman
Mar 03, 2012 Pickleman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kris
Definitely looking forward to the next book. Another fun and crazy ride in this one.
Sandro
My first steampunk novel. As a scientist I loved it very much.

Lorin Rivers
Empire of Unreason (The Age of Unreason, Book 3) by J. Gregory Keyes (2001)
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, one more to go.
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Patrick Dubeau
Patrick Dubeau marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Alex
Apr 07, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • Lightbringers and Rainmakers
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Flaming London
  • The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2)
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

Age of Unreason (4 books)
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)