Start by marking “The Secret of the Emerald Sea” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Emerald Sea

The Secret of the Emerald Sea

Beneath the waves of the glittering Emerald Sea, there is another world, filled with magic, strange and wondrous creatures, and many mysteries. When a young girl from a small seaside village decides to explore this hidden world one rainy night, she learns a shocking secret that leads to the adventure of a lifetime...
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 269 pages
Published August 18th 2010 by Sugar and Spice Press

Edward's Ghost Engine (also known as.......... Jinky Spring)
This is the first book I've read on kindle and I don't think I'll carry on. I've read up to 14 chapters on this and although others have said it gets better I have failed to be sucked in. The writing style and characters are just so so strange and unrealistic. I think the author has meant to write this in the style of a fairytale or legend but this failed to work for me. I'm just not interested in the characters. At all.

This is a story about Roman gods and the sea God trying to find his daughte
Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer)
Mar 09, 2013 Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) rated it really liked it
The description of the book was a tad misleading. I thought it was mearly a mermaid story. It turned out to be a story about Roman gods and goddesses, the daughter of Neptune being the main heroine. I really enjoyed this story, it had a rocky begining, but got better. The only thing that prevents me from giving it four stars is it's poor editing.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Feb 23, 2011 Tee loves Kyle Jacobson rated it it was amazing

Warning: This book when you first start reading it is weird to say the least, but once you get past the first few chapters the book draws you in and you begin to really enjoy it.

My Rat
D.M. Dutcher
Sep 25, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Edit: The author has responded and mentioned she had the book reformatted, so please disregard the old version of this review. My past review was giving this one star due to some format issues that made the book unreadable, but I removed the rating and I'll put the old part under spoilers just for history's sake. I'll update this review again and give it a proper star rating when I reread the book.

9/25/12. I finished it. I'd give it 3.5 stars. It's interesting in that it isn't what you'd expect-
Howard Parsons
Mar 16, 2012 Howard Parsons rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults who enjoy fables.
It is the policy of this reviewer to NOT include spoilers and/or plot synopses in his reviews. (Neptune knows that there are enough other reviewers who do this.) Instead, this reviewer usually chooses to comment on the book as a whole or, perhaps, certain characters and/or points in the plot.

Unless otherwise noted, all reviews are based on the Kindle edition.

This is a fairly good story that's marred by a meandering and often slow-moving plot as well as an egregious amount of typos in the Kindle
Rebecca McNutt
The Secret of the Emerald Sea was kind of interesting, but it's been done in similar ways before and I didn't really like the characters. I think it's all based on personal preference whether you find this novel a great book or not.
Helen Dalgarno
May 10, 2014 Helen Dalgarno rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say I got a sample of this from Amazon and you get 6 chapters and I just couldn't get into it. It seems like it could be a really good book but not for me, I want something that grabs your attention from the get go or at least earlier than chapter 6.
Debbie
Feb 09, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is an official review from The Romance Review

Who doesn't like a good fantasy story? A story that also includes a great adventure and romance. Heather Matthews has done a marvelous job of writing such a descriptive story that I actually felt like I was part of it. I could see the scenery and the magical beauty under the surface of the sea in my mind as I was reading. Thus begins this truly captivating tale that will draw young and adult alike and you have to keep reading to see what is goin
Heidi
Jul 30, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
The Secret of the Emerald Sea was a very difficult book to embrace. For me, I felt as though the story was unrelatable and lacked depth. I was under the opinion that the book was trying to force the reader to sense the emotions, rather than having the emotions develop naturally. I felt no real attachment or innocence/morality in any character. Perhaps, this is the way of the gods but it makes for a difficult read. Sadly, in my opinion, the only saving grace of this book was that the story line ...more
Regina
Dec 01, 2011 Regina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, i-own-this
It was lovely and magical.I got sucked into the story pretty quickly. I liked use of mythology and Jane is a sympathetic heroine. I have to admit that Cupid was my favorite character because of his complexity. I pretty much rooted for him even though he was in the form of a baby most of the story. JanexCupid is sweet.the story was more of a becoming of age and learning what it means to find yourself type than the regular YA. The love is secondary to the story in my opinion and the love triangle ...more
Steffi
I am actually torn between 2 and 3 stars.
When I read the first 20% of this book, I thought "WTF is this?!"...the writing style was totally childish and the story just weird. Reviews on here said it will get better, so I continued reading it. The book did get better, story and writing style. Still I couldnt really connect with the book nor the characters. It might be a problem that I expected a totally different story.
Faye Dewell
May 17, 2012 Faye Dewell rated it liked it
The beginning of this book was terrible. Honestly. I was appalled and almost gave up on it. It really struck me as melodramatic, teenage wish fulfillment writing. I know it's a YA novel, but...

That said, I stuck it out and it got better. It's not an amazing read but it's entertaining and interesting.

Keep reading, it gets better.
Lorelle
Jan 12, 2012 Lorelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everone but especially tweens and teens
My interest in this book grew as a read it. I found that by the last third of the book, I had a hard time putting it down. These Roman were woven into a unique story about good, evil, love and heartbreak. I found myself most interested in cupid, his character and his behavior.
Jessi
Aug 12, 2012 Jessi rated it did not like it
An interesting story idea, but the kindle edition is incredibly hard to read due to strange structure (no quotation marks at all for speakers) and several typos. I also did not connect with any of the characters and found them to be far too melodramatic for my tastes.
Magen Despain
Jan 28, 2013 Magen Despain rated it it was ok
I am surprised that I wasn't into this book more. I love mythelogy, but I think there were too many characters and the writing was really elementary. Kind of lame.
Ana meyuki sakurada
Ana meyuki sakurada rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Jassicca Earley
Jassicca Earley rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Maral
Maral rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Emmy
Emmy rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Cathrine
Cathrine rated it did not like it
Jun 25, 2013
Bethany Lunde
Bethany Lunde rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
محمد رضا
محمد رضا rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
Sade
Sade rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Tamsin
Tamsin rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Herbert English
Herbert English rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 26, 2015 08:01AM
  • Fins
  • In Great Waters
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Merrow
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Mermaid Park
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Selina Penaluna
Heather Matthews is an author and freelance writer based in Vancouver, Canada.
More about Heather Matthews...