Start by marking “The Secret of the Emerald Sea” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Emerald Sea

The Secret of the Emerald Sea

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  311 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Beneath the waves of the glittering Emerald Sea, there is another world, filled with magic, strange and wondrous creatures, and many mysteries. When a young girl from a small seaside village decides to explore this hidden world one rainy night, she learns a shocking secret that leads to the adventure of a lifetime...
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 269 pages
Published August 18th 2010 by Sugar and Spice Press

Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
76th out of 153 books — 746 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksJust for Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsWake by Amanda HockingTempest Unleashed by Tracy DeebsLies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown
YA Mermaid/Mermen/Siren Books of 2012
32nd out of 49 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer)
Mar 09, 2013 Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) rated it really liked it
The description of the book was a tad misleading. I thought it was mearly a mermaid story. It turned out to be a story about Roman gods and goddesses, the daughter of Neptune being the main heroine. I really enjoyed this story, it had a rocky begining, but got better. The only thing that prevents me from giving it four stars is it's poor editing.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Feb 23, 2011 Tee loves Kyle Jacobson rated it it was amazing

Warning: This book when you first start reading it is weird to say the least, but once you get past the first few chapters the book draws you in and you begin to really enjoy it.

My Rat
Howard Parsons
Mar 16, 2012 Howard Parsons rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults who enjoy fables.
It is the policy of this reviewer to NOT include spoilers and/or plot synopses in his reviews. (Neptune knows that there are enough other reviewers who do this.) Instead, this reviewer usually chooses to comment on the book as a whole or, perhaps, certain characters and/or points in the plot.

Unless otherwise noted, all reviews are based on the Kindle edition.

This is a fairly good story that's marred by a meandering and often slow-moving plot as well as an egregious amount of typos in the Kindle
D.M. Dutcher
Sep 25, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Edit: The author has responded and mentioned she had the book reformatted, so please disregard the old version of this review. My past review was giving this one star due to some format issues that made the book unreadable, but I removed the rating and I'll put the old part under spoilers just for history's sake. I'll update this review again and give it a proper star rating when I reread the book.

9/25/12. I finished it. I'd give it 3.5 stars. It's interesting in that it isn't what you'd expect-
Rebecca McNutt
The Secret of the Emerald Sea was kind of interesting, but it's been done in similar ways before and I didn't really like the characters. I think it's all based on personal preference whether you find this novel a great book or not.
Helen Dalgarno
May 10, 2014 Helen Dalgarno rated it it was ok
I'm sorry to say I got a sample of this from Amazon and you get 6 chapters and I just couldn't get into it. It seems like it could be a really good book but not for me, I want something that grabs your attention from the get go or at least earlier than chapter 6.
Debbie
Feb 09, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
This is an official review from The Romance Review

Who doesn't like a good fantasy story? A story that also includes a great adventure and romance. Heather Matthews has done a marvelous job of writing such a descriptive story that I actually felt like I was part of it. I could see the scenery and the magical beauty under the surface of the sea in my mind as I was reading. Thus begins this truly captivating tale that will draw young and adult alike and you have to keep reading to see what is goin
Regina
Dec 01, 2011 Regina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, i-own-this
It was lovely and magical.I got sucked into the story pretty quickly. I liked use of mythology and Jane is a sympathetic heroine. I have to admit that Cupid was my favorite character because of his complexity. I pretty much rooted for him even though he was in the form of a baby most of the story. JanexCupid is sweet.the story was more of a becoming of age and learning what it means to find yourself type than the regular YA. The love is secondary to the story in my opinion and the love triangle ...more
Heidi
Jul 30, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
The Secret of the Emerald Sea was a very difficult book to embrace. For me, I felt as though the story was unrelatable and lacked depth. I was under the opinion that the book was trying to force the reader to sense the emotions, rather than having the emotions develop naturally. I felt no real attachment or innocence/morality in any character. Perhaps, this is the way of the gods but it makes for a difficult read. Sadly, in my opinion, the only saving grace of this book was that the story line b ...more
Steffi
I am actually torn between 2 and 3 stars.
When I read the first 20% of this book, I thought "WTF is this?!"...the writing style was totally childish and the story just weird. Reviews on here said it will get better, so I continued reading it. The book did get better, story and writing style. Still I couldnt really connect with the book nor the characters. It might be a problem that I expected a totally different story.
Faye Dewell
May 17, 2012 Faye Dewell rated it liked it
The beginning of this book was terrible. Honestly. I was appalled and almost gave up on it. It really struck me as melodramatic, teenage wish fulfillment writing. I know it's a YA novel, but...

That said, I stuck it out and it got better. It's not an amazing read but it's entertaining and interesting.

Keep reading, it gets better.
Lorelle
Jan 12, 2012 Lorelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everone but especially tweens and teens
My interest in this book grew as a read it. I found that by the last third of the book, I had a hard time putting it down. These Roman were woven into a unique story about good, evil, love and heartbreak. I found myself most interested in cupid, his character and his behavior.
Jessi
Aug 12, 2012 Jessi rated it did not like it
An interesting story idea, but the kindle edition is incredibly hard to read due to strange structure (no quotation marks at all for speakers) and several typos. I also did not connect with any of the characters and found them to be far too melodramatic for my tastes.
Magen Despain
Jan 28, 2013 Magen Despain rated it it was ok
I am surprised that I wasn't into this book more. I love mythelogy, but I think there were too many characters and the writing was really elementary. Kind of lame.
Yuska Vonita
Nov 27, 2012 Yuska Vonita rated it really liked it
It's magical and full of surprises. I was blown away.
Thanks for writing such a beautiful work.
Dana Wright
Mar 20, 2011 Dana Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: mermaid
Check out my review on:
Heather
Apr 13, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
not a bad plot, just not my cup of tea....
Elin
Amanda
Jan 04, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: y-a, fantasy, mythology
Kyla Stan
Kyla Stan rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Claire Smith
Claire Smith marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Anne-Julie Knollinger
Anne-Julie Knollinger marked it as to-read
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Lavi
Lavi marked it as to-read
Nicole Moon
Nicole Moon marked it as to-read
Danique Blok
Danique Blok marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Bailey Riddle
Bailey Riddle marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 26, 2015 08:01AM
  • Fins
  • In Great Waters
  • Siren's Call (Dark Tides #1)
  • Merrow
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Mermaid Park
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Selina Penaluna
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Beyond the Sea (Shades of the Sea, #1)
Heather Matthews is an author and freelance writer based in Vancouver, Canada.
More about Heather Matthews...