Start by marking “Chapel Noir: A Novel of Suspense featuring Sherlock Holmes, Irene Adler, and Jack the Ripper” as Want to Read:

Chapel Noir: A Novel of Suspense featuring Sherlock Holmes, Irene Adler, and Jack the Ripper (Irene Adler #5)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Before Caleb Carr and Laurie R. King, Carole Nelson Douglas gave readers a compelling look into Victoriana with a bold new detective character: Irene Adler, the only woman to ever outwit Sherlock Holmes. An operatic diva and the intellectual equal of most of the men she encounters, Irene is as much at home with disguises and a revolver as with high society and haute coutur ...more
Published October 11th 2001 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Chapel Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chapel Noir

Sheridan Steffler
Number five in the series. It followed a break of seven years for the author. I was a bit put off by the gore and explicitness of it. That said - the focus of much was on the Jack the Ripper stories, etc. A very thorough review - also added a couple of cases in Paris. I can't say I would recommend it. Alas! I did read it all the way through - for the closure. It offered no closure as the previous books had done but teased with the next book's starting point.
Elderberrywine
Oh, wait, WHAT? No one informed me that this was merely Part One. *huffs*

Quite fortunately, this was published several years ago and the next bit has now arrived at my branch library. But still.

So, we have Irene and her companion Nell, as well as an intriguing American lass (love her identity), not to mention the great man himself (but without Watson, and seriously dude? the excuse for not bringing him along rings a little thin, just sayin' *side-eye*) and the whole merry gang tracking down a vi
International Cat Lady
Be warned - it has a cliffhanger ending; you have to get the next book in order to see how it ends! If the story had wrapped up in just one book I would've given it five stars.
MaryJohanna
S-L-O-W.... and I'm a Shelock Holmes fan!
Kristen
This is the first of Carole Nelson Douglas's books I've read but it definitely will not be the last! This was a terrifically entertaining and well-written historical fiction murder mystery!

I should probably state in the interests of full disclosure, that I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, AND am fascinated by the Jack the Ripper murders, both of which are a part of this story. HOWEVER, neither Holmes nor the Ripper are the main attraction of this book - both are minor players in a larger, female-cha
Patricia Gulley
I was disappointed to some degree by all the excessive descriptions interupting the action. Had to skim through a lot of it, but the basic story: Irene, Nell and a new cohort, Pink, set out to find the Paris Ripper believing it might be Jack himself turn even more vile. We see the Paris Exposition with that monstrosity, the Eiffel Tower, and meet Buffalo Bill, his 'red' indians, the prince of Wales, some Rothchilds, Braum Stoker and quite a few others famous at the time.
I know Nell is a prude b
Rena Sherwood
This book goes on forever -- and it's not done at the last page! You have another whole book to go through! This lacks the charm and the humor of the first books in the series, making this pretentious and yawn-inducing.
trav
More "spin off" fiction. In these stories you follow Irene Adler, the only woman A.C. Doyle setup to outwit Sherlock Holmes (A Scandal in Bohemia). Adler is an accomplished opera singer and amateur sleuth back in Victorian-era Paris.

Douglas paints pictures of lots of brothels and dark alleys as she ties in Adler's story with the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper.

So some of the story comes off cliche.

But it's a great read if you like Holmes and Victorian era stories.

I thought Douglas did a good
Cynthia
May 08, 2008 Cynthia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans
This novel sets my imagination apart, showing me qhat quality can a woman have in a socitey run by males. Irene Alder is quite a heroine throughout this book even though he requires Sherlock Holmes as a ally. However, her husband and Penelope disagree to such circumstances. To Irene Alder, Holmes is a more ideal figure even though he is cold and strict towards females. Irene Adler once again shows how she can pull off her own deduction in Paris. Her brillance and intelligence can shine out to ot ...more
Rosa
I have always been intrigued by Irene Adler and I read the next book in the series a million years ago and had purchased this one and the one after it so I could have a more thorough picture of the story. I love the many different real and fictional historical characters that make an appearance in the book. I think that I may have overhyped the series in my head. I'll finish the three I have but I think I'm no longer quite so in love.
Joseph
I did not like this one as much as I have the previous titles in this series. It seemed to drag for most of the book, and then near the end where it was finally starting get good and pick up, the author has the nerve to give us a cliff hanger ending! Now I have to immediately read the next in the series to find out what happens next! Argh! lol
Chris
This was my first read for this author and although I absolutely loved the entire book, I really despised the ending and therefore couldn't rate it to its highest potential. But let's admit: Sherlock Holmes, Irene Adler as Jack the Ripper all in one book makes for a pretty guaranteed excellent read.
Susan Youngman
Nov 18, 2007 Susan Youngman rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans
Another author drawing on Sherlock as a real character. The female lead is great! Unlike the Laurie R. King books where the female lead marries Sherlock, this one considers him a rival...an archrival! I will definitely have to read her other books.
Cheryl Scott
I enjoyed this book very much. However, it is only the first half of a novel. The second half is 'Castle Rouge,' which is not nearly as successful, unfortunately.
Kelly
This volume is just not as compelling as the previous Adler books. I stll liked it, but I think CND was running out os steam?
Linda
Fun stories to read, tho Irene is so perfect she can be annoying.
Molly
Irene Adler is one of my favorite mystery heroines!
Gina Boyd
Accursed cliffhangers...!
Auntie J
5th in the series.
Kate
Kate added it
Mar 24, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 23, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • The Night Calls
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • The Paris Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #6)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
Carole Nelson Douglas is the author of sixty award-winning novels in contemporary and historical mystery/suspense and romance, high and urban fantasy and science fiction genres. She is best known for two popular mystery series, the Irene Adler historical suspense novels and the 25-book Midnight Louie contemporary mystery series. Delilah Street, PI (Paranormal Investigator), headlines Carole's noir ...more
More about Carole Nelson Douglas...

Irene Adler (8 books)
  • Good Night, Mr. Holmes (Irene Adler, #1)
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • Irene At Large (Irene Adler, #3)
  • Another Scandal in Bohemia (Irene Adler, #4)
  • Castle Rouge (Irene Adler, #6)
  • Femme Fatale (Irene Adler, #7)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
Good Night, Mr. Holmes (Irene Adler, #1) Catnap (Midnight Louie, #1) Dancing With Werewolves (Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator, #1) Six of Swords Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)