Start by marking “Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic” as Want to Read:
Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic

Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic (Zatanna #1-6)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  537 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Originally published in single magazine form in Zatanna 1-6--T.p. verso.
Published March 15th 2011 by DC Comics

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. WiebeMs. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonBatwoman by Greg RuckaFray by Joss Whedon
Kickass women in superhero comics
38th out of 357 books — 336 voters
Batgirl, Vol. 1 by Cameron StewartBatwoman by Greg RuckaBatgirl, Vol. 1 by Gail SimoneBatman by Paul DiniBatwoman, Vol. 1 by J.H. Williams III
Ladies of DC
28th out of 59 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
Jun 16, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
It’s back to the past from the future in order to get to the present* as Jeff once again reads comic volumes out of their intended order.

In my defense, the library didn’t even have this one listed in their catalogue, it just magically (ha!) appeared on their shelves.

It’s volume one of Paul Dini’s run on Zatanna, DC’s Mistress of Magic, one of my favorite characters! So how does volume one stack up against volume two.

For starters, there’s more pandering fanboy art and less charm and those little
Stephen
Feb 16, 2016 Stephen rated it it was ok
description

Zatanna is one of my favorite female characters in the DCU. she is used fairly regularly in the DCU when something magical is happening, but we don't get to see her character develop like some of the female characters in the DCU.

The first part introduces the main villain mobster called Brother Night godfather of San Francisco's.
Zatanna gets a visit by a detective called Dale Colton, who needs her help because there was a massacre, when they arrive on the scene Zatanna starts looking for answer
Crystal Starr Light
May 10, 2015 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero, dc-comics
Bullet Review:

I actually rather liked this. The first story is better - Zach, the whiney cousin was obnoxious and BLECH in the second - buy both were much better than I expect. Something with magic could have been oh so cheesy and goofy, but I thought Dini and crew did well.
Gavin
Aug 06, 2013 Gavin rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
How odd, I really liked the 2nd Volume of this series, yet this was just boring and lame. Maybe it took that long to get into writing it well, but that's odd since Paul Dini is usually reliable. However I just couldn't get over that everything was a simple matter of she can use spells for everything, all she has to do is figure out how not to get gagged. Also a little overly sexual in the imagery department, plus not enough good supporting characters/no Batman appearances.
Not really all that int
Logan
Aug 24, 2016 Logan rated it really liked it
Pretty decent! So I've been interested in Zatanna recently, so I thought i'd read up a little on her! This volume can be split right down the middle, into two stories. First one has what I guess is a Zatanna Villain, called Brother Night; hes this mob boss in hell, who wants to come into Vegas, and claim territory over other gangs; well okay! At the same time, a detective helps Zatanna on this case, and oddly enough he looks exactly, like Bigby from Fables, and Zatanna looks like Snow, when shes ...more
Joseph
Aug 13, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it
This is a cute collection of stories starring Zatanna. In the first story, she fights an evil demonic crime lord who has his eyes set on controlling organized crime in San Francisco. In the second, she takes her show to Las Vegas, where she and her cousin Zachary fight against a man who has sold his soul to the devil, but wants to buy some time by offering up Zatanna's soul instead.

Really nice art and coloring, and writer Paul Dini gives Zatanna a nice laid back, almost humorous voice. I'd love
Rick Hunter
Mar 15, 2016 Rick Hunter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: diehard Zatanna fans, but don't get your hopes too high
I love the character Zatanna and had been wanting to read this for a while. I'm not sure whether I've ever read anything by Paul Dini before, but I've definitely heard the name and I know who he is. This volume collects the first 6 issues of Zatanna and it has 2 different story arcs that last 3 issues each.
In the first story Dini creates a new villain called Brother Night that is both a ganster and mystically powered being. He made a deal with some demons that granted him mystical powers in orde
Michelle Cristiani
I like Zatanna very much, and would have added a star if I liked the art more on this one. The story was good: intricate enough to hold interest, but simple enough to entertain.

I have two issues with Zatanna. First of all, she's insanely powerful. Someone who can repair walls or heal wounds with a word, who can change weather and throw elements around, who can write her spells when her mouth won't work, and who has supreme mental strength in the face of mind control or poison...she's practically
Lexxi Kitty
Wrote a really long review. It died when my browser died.

soooo . . . .

Briefly: Never specifically cared about Zatanna when saw in other people's comics . . . but this by Paul Dini . . so took a chance, both on a non-Harley Quinn Dini story, and on Zatanna. Was bored.

First story arc involved some evil hippie dude who made a deal with the devil in the '60s to basically have a bunch of power, and be immortal, and have a groovy skull head. From the '60s to "now", whenever "now" might be, evil hippie
William Thomas
Jul 31, 2011 William Thomas rated it really liked it
When I was just making my way into the early teen years of my life, Batman: The Animated Series was on the air. And I couldn't get enough of it. Being a comic book super geek, i would watch it after school because I never did my homework, never studied and still pulled A's across the board. I couldn't wait to watch more and more and more. Reruns, episodes I'd seen 10 times already. It didn't matter. And that's because of the writing. The writing was brilliant. Thanks to Paul Dini.

And now, with t
Callie Rose Tyler
Nov 23, 2015 Callie Rose Tyler rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, dc
So guess what's really annoying...

reading words backwards!

I've read many a story where Zatanna pops up and of course she stsac a wef slleps, but trying to read backwards spell after backwards spell gave me a headache, and the rest of the writing didn't help much either.

This volume is very slow going although it did improve in the last few issues. The tone seemed off to me, it wasn't campy or serious so it just turned out kind of lame. There was a real lack of humor, character development was pre
Ian Wood
Jul 04, 2015 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Wing Kee
Aug 17, 2015 Wing Kee rated it liked it
Paul Dini?! Yes please!

I will be honest I read this simply because it was written by Paul Dini and the issues were on sale at Comixology. I like Zatanna, well I like her when she shows up in JL and JLD and Young Justice, I've never really read any of her other books but I knew enough to know what I was getting into, so how was Dini's take on her?

World: I will first say that the art is nice, the covers are gorgeous and the splash pages in the dream realm are beautiful. However, I found that the c
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
My first review got sucked into the Review Twilight Zone, so here we go again.

Zatanna is an interesting mix of showmanship, jocular affability and incredible magical aptitude. Her costume is a shirtwaist and tails, with a top hat, and she brandishes a magical wand. Her enemies tend to underestimate her abilities, big time. She's more than capable of taking on the practitioners of the darkest of magics, as evidenced in the story arcs of this book.

This book was an improbably successful mix of a li
Olivia
Apr 18, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing
Okay, now the bar to beat as my favourite DC Comics heroine. Very well written, clever, witty, and I just loved it (clearly, read it in like, an hour). Off to get number 2! Wish there were more graphic novels at my library about her though...
Stephanie
Mar 28, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
maybe if her calves weren't so big and her feet weren't so tiny, I wouldn't think about britney spears' stubby lower half every time I'm looking at the AWESOME zatanna in heels. (the fishnet stockings don't help either.)
Emily
Aug 06, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
My first read on Zatanna, I like her spunk and sassiness - this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...
Kristen
Nov 15, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
This book is not easy to get your hands on. After much searching (and after reading volume 2 first), it was a friend who finally got me this copy as a gift. And what a lovely gift it is! Gorgeous artwork (most of the time) with lively colours. The writing is fairly light, with Zatanna pulling amusing comebacks frequently. She has a way with words, I guess.

There's a downside to this volume (other than not being as good as vol 2). The way Zatanna's sexualized is blatant fanservice and it happens
Helena
Feb 21, 2016 Helena rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
2.5/5. I've been intrigued by Zatanna for a while now so I was excited to finally read one of her series. Unfortunately I wasn't very interested in this first volume. There was virtually no character development and I didn't care about what was happening. That really sucks for a first time reader.

I found that the plot in the first three issues was resolved too quickly. The first issue makes the situation seem pretty complicated and I figured it would be the plot of most of this book... It would
Matthew
May 17, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
This was a fun but not particularly exceptional trade collection of Zatanna stories, collecting the first several issues of the ongoing DC series. There are two complete stories in this volume, and both feature people who have dabbled in the dark arts and are trying pretty hard for various reasons to get rid of Zatanna. The action's pretty good, although I tend to prefer darker, scarier stories with my magic-based adventures. I kept having to remind myself that this wasn't a Vertigo book, as muc ...more
Stephen
May 03, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
Had never read anything with Zatanna before, but picked this up because of Paul Dini. Really solid comic!
Robert Wright
Feb 04, 2013 Robert Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
A fun, if unexceptional, take on the character.

The artist indulges in a little too much of emphasizing Z's curves. (When did all of DC's heroines start being required to be pin-up girls, and not just Starfire and Power Girl? They used to be at least somewhat more diverse than Marvel or Image.)

Still, Dini knows how to keep a brisk pace and doesn't bog this down with too much exposition or angst-y dialogue. It moves along and is enjoyable.

And you know what? Sometimes a book just has to be fun. N
Sean
Sep 11, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
Going into reading this trade, my knowledge of Zatanna consisting of almost nothing besides her backwards speech in spellcasting. After reading this collection of her solo adventures I learned more about her family, past, and villains. What I learned most was that I really like her. She’s fun and powerful but has her flaws. Paul Dini always does a great job and this is no different. His take on the character is fantastic. The art by Stephane Roux was really good but covers were phenomenal! Overa ...more
Travis
Feb 10, 2012 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Not horrible, but almost no use of DC history, kind of a generic 'I'm evil and magic!' bad guy, and the 'let's see how often we can get Zatanna naked' just felt a bit bland and by the numbers.

Fun idea ( and the Zatanna takes a bath scene is very cute and cheesecake) that never really hooked me.

Shame as I like this character, Paul Dini and always hope her solo series will be better than they turn out to be.
Kristopher
May 03, 2011 Kristopher rated it really liked it
Zatanna has become a fun comic with lots of action, creativity, and dry humor. So far it's avoided the labyrinthine plotting and pages of exposition that bog down so many series. It still doesn't quite measure up to my dearly departed Palmotti/Gray/Connor run on Powergirl (*sniff, sniff*), but it's getting close.
Angela
Oct 24, 2011 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
Nice to see Zatanna get her own series. She battles evil wizards and demons while trying to get on with her day job. It's a shame the artisit tried to paint her naked a lot, at times when its not necessary. This series does have potential though.
Jen
May 06, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
This was a great volume one; compelling storylines and great artwork. It sometimes irritates me that Zatana as a character is almost omnipotent, but that's just who she is I guess.
Jennifer Biggs
Mar 30, 2011 Jennifer Biggs rated it it was amazing
Quick read but great artwork as per most things Dini does outstanding work. Another Heroine to add to the growing list of comic book faves. Zatanna is a book all comic girls should read
John Yelverton
May 21, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
The book series is starting off a little slow, but the writing talent of Paul Dini and Zatanna's own book series are definitely things to look forward to.
Christopher
Jun 22, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Paul Dini is a comic book genius and should write more stories with the awesome bad ass-ery that are the chicks from the D.C. universe.
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Power Girl, Vol. 1: A New Beginning
  • Huntress: Year One
  • Batgirl, Volume 1: Batgirl Rising
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Manhunter, Vol. 1: Street Justice
  • Power Girl, Volume 3: Bomb Squad
  • Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind
61935
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed scr ...more
More about Paul Dini...