Start by marking “Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic” as Want to Read:
Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic

Zatanna, Vol. 1: The Mistress of Magic (Zatanna #1-6)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  443 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Magic and police procedurals collide in San Francisco in this new series starring a DC Universe favorite: Zatanna.Zatanna has long made her home in San Francisco, but right under her nose a sinister threat has developed: a crime boss who dominates the criminal underworld with dark magic. The terrifying Brother Night is making his play for the City by the Bay, and the polic ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by DC Comics

Jeff
It’s back to the past from the future in order to get to the present* as Jeff once again reads comic volumes out of their intended order.

In my defense, the library didn’t even have this one listed in their catalogue, it just magically (ha!) appeared on their shelves.

It’s volume one of Paul Dini’s run on Zatanna, DC’s Mistress of Magic, one of my favorite characters! So how does volume one stack up against volume two.

For starters, there’s more pandering fanboy art and less charm and those little
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I actually rather liked this. The first story is better - Zach, the whiney cousin was obnoxious and BLECH in the second - buy both were much better than I expect. Something with magic could have been oh so cheesy and goofy, but I thought Dini and crew did well.
Gavin
How odd, I really liked the 2nd Volume of this series, yet this was just boring and lame. Maybe it took that long to get into writing it well, but that's odd since Paul Dini is usually reliable. However I just couldn't get over that everything was a simple matter of she can use spells for everything, all she has to do is figure out how not to get gagged. Also a little overly sexual in the imagery department, plus not enough good supporting characters/no Batman appearances.
Not really all that int
Lexxi Kitty
Wrote a really long review. It died when my browser died.

soooo . . . .

Briefly: Never specifically cared about Zatanna when saw in other people's comics . . . but this by Paul Dini . . so took a chance, both on a non-Harley Quinn Dini story, and on Zatanna. Was bored.

First story arc involved some evil hippie dude who made a deal with the devil in the '60s to basically have a bunch of power, and be immortal, and have a groovy skull head. From the '60s to "now", whenever "now" might be, evil hippie
William Thomas
When I was just making my way into the early teen years of my life, Batman: The Animated Series was on the air. And I couldn't get enough of it. Being a comic book super geek, i would watch it after school because I never did my homework, never studied and still pulled A's across the board. I couldn't wait to watch more and more and more. Reruns, episodes I'd seen 10 times already. It didn't matter. And that's because of the writing. The writing was brilliant. Thanks to Paul Dini.

And now, with t
Ian Wood

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
My first review got sucked into the Review Twilight Zone, so here we go again.

Zatanna is an interesting mix of showmanship, jocular affability and incredible magical aptitude. Her costume is a shirtwaist and tails, with a top hat, and she brandishes a magical wand. Her enemies tend to underestimate her abilities, big time. She's more than capable of taking on the practitioners of the darkest of magics, as evidenced in the story arcs of this book.

This book was an improbably successful mix of a li
Olivia
Okay, now the bar to beat as my favourite DC Comics heroine. Very well written, clever, witty, and I just loved it (clearly, read it in like, an hour). Off to get number 2! Wish there were more graphic novels at my library about her though...
stephanie
maybe if her calves weren't so big and her feet weren't so tiny, I wouldn't think about britney spears' stubby lower half every time I'm looking at the AWESOME zatanna in heels. (the fishnet stockings don't help either.)
Emily
Aug 06, 2014 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics, dc
My first read on Zatanna, I like her spunk and sassiness - this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...
Matthew
This was a fun but not particularly exceptional trade collection of Zatanna stories, collecting the first several issues of the ongoing DC series. There are two complete stories in this volume, and both feature people who have dabbled in the dark arts and are trying pretty hard for various reasons to get rid of Zatanna. The action's pretty good, although I tend to prefer darker, scarier stories with my magic-based adventures. I kept having to remind myself that this wasn't a Vertigo book, as muc ...more
Robert Wright
A fun, if unexceptional, take on the character.

The artist indulges in a little too much of emphasizing Z's curves. (When did all of DC's heroines start being required to be pin-up girls, and not just Starfire and Power Girl? They used to be at least somewhat more diverse than Marvel or Image.)

Still, Dini knows how to keep a brisk pace and doesn't bog this down with too much exposition or angst-y dialogue. It moves along and is enjoyable.

And you know what? Sometimes a book just has to be fun. N
Sean
Going into reading this trade, my knowledge of Zatanna consisting of almost nothing besides her backwards speech in spellcasting. After reading this collection of her solo adventures I learned more about her family, past, and villains. What I learned most was that I really like her. She’s fun and powerful but has her flaws. Paul Dini always does a great job and this is no different. His take on the character is fantastic. The art by Stephane Roux was really good but covers were phenomenal! Overa ...more
Steven Dunn
Gnihton tub gib stit ni a tahpot.
Travis
Not horrible, but almost no use of DC history, kind of a generic 'I'm evil and magic!' bad guy, and the 'let's see how often we can get Zatanna naked' just felt a bit bland and by the numbers.

Fun idea ( and the Zatanna takes a bath scene is very cute and cheesecake) that never really hooked me.

Shame as I like this character, Paul Dini and always hope her solo series will be better than they turn out to be.
Kristopher
Zatanna has become a fun comic with lots of action, creativity, and dry humor. So far it's avoided the labyrinthine plotting and pages of exposition that bog down so many series. It still doesn't quite measure up to my dearly departed Palmotti/Gray/Connor run on Powergirl (*sniff, sniff*), but it's getting close.
Angela
Nice to see Zatanna get her own series. She battles evil wizards and demons while trying to get on with her day job. It's a shame the artisit tried to paint her naked a lot, at times when its not necessary. This series does have potential though.
Jennifer Biggs
Quick read but great artwork as per most things Dini does outstanding work. Another Heroine to add to the growing list of comic book faves. Zatanna is a book all comic girls should read
John Yelverton
The book series is starting off a little slow, but the writing talent of Paul Dini and Zatanna's own book series are definitely things to look forward to.
Christopher
Paul Dini is a comic book genius and should write more stories with the awesome bad ass-ery that are the chicks from the D.C. universe.
PJ Ebbrell
A great series, some great art and not too angst ridden storylins; good old fashion writing. Just wished the series had continued.
Federiken Masters
Jan 18, 2011 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read
¿Zatanna escrita por Paul Dini? ¡Compro! Si algún día lo veo disponible y a un precio no demencial, claro...
Adam
Two pretty great little stories starring everyone's favorite magician Batman should be married to.
Kelly
love strong women. but would prefer the women be dressed in less skin barong clothes.
Ashley
I still have a problem with the way she is oversexualized, but a good read despite that.
Karen
A pretty fun read - slightly turned off by the whole love potion marriage bit though.
Katie
The first Zatanna comic I've ever read. I'm impressed. I'd like to read more about her.
Distracting art, recycled plots, but a nice sense of fun.
Jacob
Great covers by S. Roux!
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 1
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Huntress: Year One
  • Batgirl, Volume 2: The Flood
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Power Girl, Vol. 1: A New Beginning
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead
  • Batman: Time and the Batman
  • Harley Quinn: Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes
61935
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed scr ...more
More about Paul Dini...

Zatanna (2 books)
  • Zatanna, Vol. 2: Shades of the Past
The Batman Adventures: Mad Love Batman: Heart of Hush Superman: Peace on Earth Batman: War on Crime Batman: Streets of Gotham, Vol. 1: Hush Money