Start by marking “New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best” as Want to Read:
New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best

New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best (New Stories from the South)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Over the past twenty-five years, "New Stories from the South" has published the work of now well-known writers, including James Lee Burke, Andre Dubus, Barbara Kingsolver, John Sayles, Joshua Ferris, and Abraham Verghese and nurtured the talents of many others, including Larry Brown, Jill McCorkle, Brock Clarke, Lee Smith, and Daniel Wallace.
This twenty-fifth volume reac
Published August 17th 2010 by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

To ask other readers questions about New Stories from the South 2010, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Stories from the South 2010

Karen
If you are not reading this annual publication, there is something seriously wrong with you! The beauty of the short story is that it's short -- you can dip into this volume of great fiction by writers with a Southern connection at will. Read the last one first, skip around! Whatever. Just read and enjoy some of the best writing from 2010. Once you start, you'll find it hard to stop, and yet you'll want to pause to think on what you just read before jumping into the next selection. Some stories ...more
Wendy Schauben
I loved this collection. My favorite short stories were the deep and depressing pieces like Evans “Someone Ought To Tell Her There’s Nowhere To Go” and Pederson’s “Small and Heavy World.” One of the lessons I learned while reading these short stories is the importance of character development. Especially when writing or reading a short story, the character needs to stand out,to grow, or to fall. For example, in Rash’s “The Ascent” Jared, a young boy of 10 realizes his parents are addicted to met ...more
Peg
Reading from these annual collections of short stories from Southern writers is a year-long delight. The book makes, not only good reading for yourself, but a good present or a night stand book in a guest room.
Rachel
Notes for myself (not really a review, sorry folks) -

WORTH REREADING
Brad Watson "Noon" "Visitation"
Danielle Evans "Someone Ought to Tell Her There's Nowhere To Go" (Miley Cyrus, Iraqi vet, mall scheme)
Megan Mayhew Bergman "The Cow That Milked Herself" (veterinarians, pregnancy)
Emily Quinlan "The Green Belt" (party gone bad - quick, smart)
Stepehn Marion "The Coldest Night of the Twentieth Century" (prison outbreak, Lysol drunk)
Padgett Powell "Cry For Help From France" (self-explanatory)
Kenneth C
Martha
a mix, of course. typical southern themes, but all well done. Interesting - added a statement from each author about what inspired each story.
Mark Bell
The entire collection is deserving of a read. Other reviews have selected and explained their reasons for highlighting favorite stories and I have one as well.
Nightblooming by Kenneth Calhoun deserves extra kudos for his choice of narrator, characters and plot. An outsider, with only one thing in common with the group,makes for the perfect narrator. He stands aloof from the plot at times and other times the plot forces him into the group interaction. A masterful tale of lining up to die. Old age
Ramona
This is an interesting collection. It made me question what it means be a Southern writer and what qualifies as Southern fiction. It's more than a physical locale; it's an emotional attachment to either a real or an imagined landscape that is both comic and tragic. Well worth reading.
Aran
Liked this collection-- more than Best American and probably more than Pen/O'Henry... several repeats from those anthologies in here. Liked "Discovered America" and "This Trembling Earth" and "Nightblooming". And definitely NOT "Drive". Story stories with nothing to prove.
Tuck
adam atlas is good. but my god these stories are super sad, super graphic, some gems, but cut you like broken glass. the kind that hurts. amy hempel, you're one sick puppy, which is a good thing i guess, keep up the good work. now i gotta go get a bandaid.
Elizabeth Ruth
Zomg yum yum yum. I am now officially committed to reading this series every year. This is a particularly good collection. I try to get rid of books after I have read them, but I will be hanging on to this book.
Everitt
Check the Southern Literary Trail club for the full discovery read. Here is the link.

The thread contains a review of every story as well as individual story ratings.

Beth
This was hit or miss, but I hope it widens the audience for the always excellent stories of Ann Pancake, Kevin Wilson, and Wells Tower. I also look forward to reading more by Emily Quinlan.
Richard Thomas
Really loved this, becoming a big Ron Rash fan, "Ascent" was fantastic. This collection often gets overlooked, but it shouldn't. Three from this collection made it into the BASS as well.
Lisa
Overall, I liked these stories but really thought the best ones started with Marjorie Kemper's "Discovered America". Tim Gautreaux is always a pleasure to read, as well.
Val
Pretty good selection. B A Johnston's Caiman is poignant and terse and just perfect, but there are others that are pretty good also.
Mary Jo
Excellent anthology. If you like short stories, get this book! I didn't see any "misses" in the quality. Consistently good.
Amy Turner
Read for the Duke Libraries bookclub. I liked most of the stories, though they tended toward the dark and depressing.
Samantha Allen
This collection of stories makes me immensely sad that I'm not a Southerner myself.
Rachel
I liked some of the stories in this collection, but not all.
Walter
I ended up skipping most of the stories :(.
hythm alrys
hythm alrys marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Rusty Smoker
Rusty Smoker marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Lisa Swetz
Lisa Swetz marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Landojesus
Landojesus marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Eleanore
Eleanore marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
On the Southern L...: New Stories from the South 32 58 May 24, 2013 05:55AM
  • New Stories from the South 2008
  • Stories of the Modern South
  • The Best American Short Stories 2010 (The Best American Series (R))
  • Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives: Stories
  • Facing the Music
  • You Must Set Forth at Dawn
  • The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories, 1945-1985
  • The Pacific and Other Stories
Amy Hempel is an American short story writer, journalist, and university professor at Brooklyn College. Hempel was a former student of Gordon Lish, who eventually helped her publish her first collection of short stories. Hempel has been published in Harper's, Vanity Fair, GQ, and Bomb. She is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, as well as the Ambassador Book Award in 2007, the Rea Award for ...more
More about Amy Hempel...

New Stories from the South (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1986
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1987
  • New Stories from the South: The Years Best, 1988 (American Places of the Heart)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best 1989
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1990
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1991
  • New Stories from the South 1992: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1993: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1994: The Year's Best
  • New Stories from the South 1995: The Year's Best
The Collected Stories Reasons to Live Tumble Home: A Novella and Short Stories The Dog of the Marriage: Stories At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom: Stories