Start by marking “New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best” as Want to Read:
New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best

New Stories from the South 2010: The Year's Best (New Stories from the South)

Over the past twenty-five years, New Stories from the South has published the work of now well-known writers, including James Lee Burke, Andre Dubus, Barbara Kingsolver, John Sayles, Joshua Ferris, and Abraham Verghese and nurtured the talents of many others, including Larry Brown, Jill McCorkle, Brock Clarke, Lee Smith, and Daniel Wallace.
This twenty-fifth volume reachs
Published August 17th 2010 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about New Stories from the South 2010, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Stories from the South 2010

Douglas Lord
I read short stories because they are: A) short and B) that's all I can handle at the end of a long fricking day sometimes, OK, Hoss? So get off my back. NSFTS is a mixed bag; there seems to be a lot of misery in this "New South" (located somewhere outside Saginaw, MI, BTW). Swamps, miscarriages, arsonists, floods, angry stupid people, angry stupid teenagers, and really poor drivers. Like many contemporary short stories, these often go nowhere. And what they lack in movement, growth, and evoluti ...more
Karen
Sep 12, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are not reading this annual publication, there is something seriously wrong with you! The beauty of the short story is that it's short -- you can dip into this volume of great fiction by writers with a Southern connection at will. Read the last one first, skip around! Whatever. Just read and enjoy some of the best writing from 2010. Once you start, you'll find it hard to stop, and yet you'll want to pause to think on what you just read before jumping into the next selection. Some stories ...more
Rachel
Sep 27, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories, 2011
Notes for myself (not really a review, sorry folks) -

WORTH REREADING
Brad Watson "Noon" "Visitation"
Danielle Evans "Someone Ought to Tell Her There's Nowhere To Go" (Miley Cyrus, Iraqi vet, mall scheme)
Megan Mayhew Bergman "The Cow That Milked Herself" (veterinarians, pregnancy)
Emily Quinlan "The Green Belt" (party gone bad - quick, smart)
Stepehn Marion "The Coldest Night of the Twentieth Century" (prison outbreak, Lysol drunk)
Padgett Powell "Cry For Help From France" (self-explanatory)
Kenneth C
Wendy Schauben
I loved this collection. My favorite short stories were the deep and depressing pieces like Evans “Someone Ought To Tell Her There’s Nowhere To Go” and Pederson’s “Small and Heavy World.” One of the lessons I learned while reading these short stories is the importance of character development. Especially when writing or reading a short story, the character needs to stand out,to grow, or to fall. For example, in Rash’s “The Ascent” Jared, a young boy of 10 realizes his parents are addicted to met ...more
Mark Bell
Dec 09, 2012 Mark Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire collection is deserving of a read. Other reviews have selected and explained their reasons for highlighting favorite stories and I have one as well.
Nightblooming by Kenneth Calhoun deserves extra kudos for his choice of narrator, characters and plot. An outsider, with only one thing in common with the group,makes for the perfect narrator. He stands aloof from the plot at times and other times the plot forces him into the group interaction. A masterful tale of lining up to die. Old age
Stephen Dorneman
Aug 24, 2011 Stephen Dorneman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of stories make up the 25th annual version of this anthology. Highlights include Kenneth Calhoun's NIGHTBLOOMING Aaron Gwyn's DRIVE, and Megan Mayhew Bergman's THE COW THAT MILKED HERSELF. I read this more than five years after they were first published, but unlike some Best Of collections, all of these stories sit in a Southern state of timelessness that is well worth your attention today.
Maggie
Nov 02, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure there are great stories in this book and I didn't read it all. Too often I would wonder why I was reading them at all. I couldn't relate to many of the stories. I may just be wanting them to give me an opening that has something to do with life outside the narrow frame of the characters. Too often the next and the next seem like more of the same.
Everitt
Check the Southern Literary Trail club for the full discovery read. Here is the link.

The thread contains a review of every story as well as individual story ratings.

Tuck
Sep 29, 2010 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
adam atlas is good. but my god these stories are super sad, super graphic, some gems, but cut you like broken glass. the kind that hurts. amy hempel, you're one sick puppy, which is a good thing i guess, keep up the good work. now i gotta go get a bandaid.
Elizabeth Ruth
Mar 21, 2013 Elizabeth Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zomg yum yum yum. I am now officially committed to reading this series every year. This is a particularly good collection. I try to get rid of books after I have read them, but I will be hanging on to this book.
Aran
Mar 13, 2011 Aran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
Liked this collection-- more than Best American and probably more than Pen/O'Henry... several repeats from those anthologies in here. Liked "Discovered America" and "This Trembling Earth" and "Nightblooming". And definitely NOT "Drive". Story stories with nothing to prove.
Peg
Oct 19, 2014 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading from these annual collections of short stories from Southern writers is a year-long delight. The book makes, not only good reading for yourself, but a good present or a night stand book in a guest room.

One of the best stories is Fish Story by Rick Bragg.
Martha
Apr 06, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a mix, of course. typical southern themes, but all well done. Interesting - added a statement from each author about what inspired each story.
Beth
This was hit or miss, but I hope it widens the audience for the always excellent stories of Ann Pancake, Kevin Wilson, and Wells Tower. I also look forward to reading more by Emily Quinlan.
Val
Jan 05, 2013 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good selection. B A Johnston's Caiman is poignant and terse and just perfect, but there are others that are pretty good also.
Amy Turner
Read for the Duke Libraries bookclub. I liked most of the stories, though they tended toward the dark and depressing.
Richard Thomas
Sep 15, 2010 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really loved this, becoming a big Ron Rash fan, "Ascent" was fantastic. This collection often gets overlooked, but it shouldn't. Three from this collection made it into the BASS as well.
Mary Jo
Jan 27, 2011 Mary Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent anthology. If you like short stories, get this book! I didn't see any "misses" in the quality. Consistently good.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I liked these stories but really thought the best ones started with Marjorie Kemper's "Discovered America". Tim Gautreaux is always a pleasure to read, as well.
A m y  B e s s
A m y B e s s rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 22, 2013
Danny
Danny rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Kossiwa
Kossiwa rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Cora
Cora rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Debi Yazbeck
Debi Yazbeck rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Patrick Jr.
Patrick Jr. rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Jane Ellen
Jane Ellen rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Esther Brum
Esther Brum rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
  • Signs and Wonders
  • The Art of the Tale: An International Anthology of Short Stories
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2006
  • Sommerlügen
Amy Hempel is an American short story writer, journalist, and university professor at Brooklyn College. Hempel was a former student of Gordon Lish, who eventually helped her publish her first collection of short stories. Hempel has been published in Harper's, Vanity Fair, GQ, and Bomb. She is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, as well as the Ambassador Book Award in 2007, the Rea Award for ...more
More about Amy Hempel...

New Stories from the South (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1986
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best, 1987
  • New Stories from the South: The Years Best, 1988 (American Places of the Heart)
  • New Stories from the South: The Year's Best 1989