Start by marking “Final Truth: The Autobiography of Mass Murderer/Serial Killer Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Author-journalist, Wilton Earle spent 15 months listening to Gaskins horrific confessions and here reveals sight into a killer's tortured mind. This graphic account is not recommended for young readers. but should be required reading for all law enforcement personnel, attorneys, sociologists, physchiatrists, psychologists, and anyone in the forensic field.
Published May 1st 1992 by Adept

Angela
I was so creeped out and disturbed by the book that I called out of work so I could finish reading it. This man lived on the same street as I did, went to places I see everyday, and talks about going different locations I've gone to without even knowing their connection to him.
Nikki
Dec 17, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it
Being from SC, I have always heard about Pee Wee Gaskins. This book is very disturbing and quite graphic. Only about half of the book has been confirmed by police. Lies or not it is extremely upsetting and scary to think about these crimes. I found it very interesting and disturbing at the same time. Not for the weak, must enjoy psychology/criminology.
Brenna
Jan 01, 2010 Brenna rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
In his commentary of the celebration of sadistic murder, Final Truth: The Autobiography of a Serial Killer, Colin Wilson refers to the first particularly gruesome passage involving the death of an innocent girl as one which “may well be the point at which most readers will stop reading Final Truth. That was certainly my own reaction the first time I read the book.”

Score one more person for that side.

Final Truth is the quasi-autobiography of Donald “Pee Wee” Gaskins, a lifelong criminal who left
Anne-harvin
Sep 19, 2011 Anne-harvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed a good true crime book. Being from South Carolina, I have heard a lot about Pee Wee Gaskins because he is from here (and actually one of his murders was someone my mom went to school with). I am not a squeamish person or easily disturbed, but this novel is VERY graphic and goes into depth with each murder. At times I was literally cringing while reading it. I should have known how graphic it was because upon purchasing it the novel is kept behind the counter and I had to pres ...more
Karen
May 31, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime

Graphic. Gory. Detailed. Not for the squeamish. Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins is at the top tier of serial killers with the likes of Bundy and Dahmer but without the notoriety. Something that surprises me after reading this book which is in his own words. Reading these types of books is a study in how sociopaths think yet one can never really know unless you yourself lacks empathy, morals and a conscious. If you are able to get your hands on this harder to find book and can handle details of murders
Steve Scott
Jan 28, 2013 Steve Scott rated it did not like it
This was the most repulsive book I've ever read, and I think the only one I've ever intentionally destroyed for the purposes of preventing it from being read by others.

In the book Gaskins tells in horrific detail about the crimes he committed both in and out of prison. If true, this was one of the most dangerous psychopaths in American history. He was tremendously cold-blooded and sadistic.

I don't recommend it.

Kerri Govoni
Dec 26, 2015 Kerri Govoni rated it it was amazing
As many that have read this book have said, I grew up (and hung around) places where this man performed some of his most violent acts. So, I kinda felt a personal responsibility to read this book.

I'm glad I did, of course. There were several bits that made my stomach flip; where I had to put the book down and walk away for a few minutes. It definitely tests your mental capacity to comprehend those of the psychotic mind.

Also, I think there are important things to be learned from it, such as some
Sandra Berke
Jun 04, 2013 Sandra Berke rated it it was amazing
such a horrific and DETAILED book. Donald pee wee gaskins is a sick person and threw out the book goes into details of his killings. cant put it down once you pick it up!
Kerrie Bethel
Aug 01, 2015 Kerrie Bethel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to "star" this. The syntax, misused vocabulary, and incorrect grammar remain to cultivate a voice, and it works, and it's pretty scary on its own (as the compiler, Earle, puts it - to know how commonplace and unmistakable evil can coexist).

I didn't really want to read this book. I'm from Florence county. Still live in Florence county. Everyone here grew up hearing about Pee Wee. Hell, I have some older family members who knew him, or his kin.

But he was a ghost story we told whe
Brandy Montgomery
Jan 10, 2011 Brandy Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Melissa
Mar 15, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book and was dared to read it in its entirety. As an avid reader of many subjects, how hard can that be? Believe me when I say that this book was worth the dare. To read the actual words of Gaskins' first hand accounts of the crimes he committed pushed me to my limit and made me question my intentions for continuing to read the book. The first person perspective is what made the book appealing to me initially but it does come at a price. The graphic detail, the morbid pers ...more
Fishface
Jan 29, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Nightmarish. There are more than a few depraved serial killers on the record by now, but this one is a prizewinner. May we never see his like again. The text was bizarrely puncuated and randomly capitalized, as if the author did not have access to a copyeditor. Even Colin Wilson's introduction was similarly mangled. A lot of serial killers brag about exploits that never happened -- I sure hope this is one such case.
Missy McConnell
Jan 27, 2015 Missy McConnell rated it it was amazing
Easily the most horrific book I've ever read. everything sadistic and sexually deviant you can imagine is done by Pee Wee Gaskins. Not a fun window to look in on the mind of a serial killer of over 100 people- but incredibly well transcribed in interviews before his execution.
Nina
Dec 29, 2015 Nina rated it really liked it
Expect this to be graphic, it can be upsetting reading some of his descriptions the violence, I had to skip some and focus on his opinions of life and how he justifies his acts without remorse. It's quite shocking.
Meledy Swayze
Sep 18, 2015 Meledy Swayze rated it it was amazing
There were times that I wanted to put it down, but I kept in mind that this was a true account from a serial killer, and I was interested in hearing what he had to say. I'd read alot of true crime, psycology etc. but this has to be the most graphic detailed account I have ever read. I have passed my copy along, and those people said pretty much the same thing. I'd give it a 10 for reality, and authentication purposes and if you're really into OMG reading then this is the book for you. It's also ...more
Lala
Aug 04, 2011 Lala added it
Wow... The graphic details of Gaskins' murders (and knowing that it's a true story) made this one hard to read. Several times I had to put the book down and walk away for awhile. There is some fascinating commentary about Gaskins, serial killers, and what makes them the way they are at the end of the book. Anyway, I was curious to read this one because his reign of terror was in my home state and I saw it more of a historical thing, but I don't ever care to read it again- and probably some of th ...more
Mika
May 02, 2012 Mika rated it it was amazing
Final Truth = definition of pure evil. I have read this book twice and each time I enjoyed it thoroughly. Pee Wee Gaskins tells his story in gory details, he leaves nothing to the imagination. Gaskins tales are sick, interesting, horrifying, fascinating - the book is a page-turner, it flows. The murder details in this book are so atrocious that at times I felt as if I were reading fiction written by a twisted author. The author was, indeed, more than twisted, but his book is no fiction.
Amy Kousagan
Jul 28, 2014 Amy Kousagan rated it did not like it
Extremely disturbing.
Michelle
Mar 31, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
When I first read this book, I was horrified knowing that Gaskins took so much pleasure out of killing these people. B/c of the area I grew up in, I always heard about Pee Wee. After reading this book, I've come to the realization that he was a very disturbed man. I don't encourage anyone to read this book unless they can stomach the details he goes into. It's a hard read in some ways, but it definately gives u an idea of what goes on behind the thoughts of some serial killers..
James Levins
Sep 03, 2014 James Levins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this guy was twis-ted! One sick puppy. I would heartily recommend this book, but only to the most hardcore true crime fans (like me). Novice true crime fans won't like this book and might feel like they have to take a shower after reading. Hard to find. I think it is actually out of print. Only available at the delivery desk at BPL. I got my copy at a yard sale. Don't say I didn't warn you!
Lance O'connor
May 07, 2012 Lance O'connor rated it really liked it

If you are curious about the mind of serial killers then this is a must read. If you are squeamish then be aware it is graphic. All in all an excellent journey into one of the most violent minds to date. Not an enjoyable experience, only because true human suffering is not something to enjoy experiencing in any medium. Having said that, I still couldn't put the book down.
Linda
Mar 28, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this borrowed from the library years ago it is disturbing to read what Pee Wee had to say. The library still has the book but to borrow it now you have to hand over money that will reimbursed when returned. They are willing to let someone sit in the library and read it. I asked after someone told me they wanted to read it once I found out how much of a deposit.
J. Keith
Apr 27, 2011 J. Keith rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book, not because it is a fluffy feel-good type book, nor for any voyeuristic appeal to anyone's sadistic side. Rather, it is a disturbing book that should be read by any who can stomach it and at least understood by those who can't. It is important to realize that there are people like this in the world and to take precautions against them.
Snowmonster
May 10, 2010 Snowmonster rated it it was amazing
Rather than reading a book about a killer where the killer has no say, this book is as close as one can get to what actually happened. When I meet people who do not believe in the death penalty I recommend this book; if anything can sway someone, this is it. Gaskins was one of the most depraved killers I've ever read about. Glad he's dead.
Michele J
I have read a lot of true crime and serial killer books but this is the most disturbing one by far.

I would not recommend this book to anyone who is easily shocked or not used to graphic details. There were parts of this book that I actually had to stop reading and then go back to.

Gaskins was truly a sociopath.

Physk
Jan 11, 2008 Physk rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true crime fans and serial killer biography fans
Recommended to Physk by: Nelson from Florida- enough said
possibly the most fucked up and twisted killer from America. forget Bundy and Dahmer, throw out Berkowitz and Gacey, this is the most demented and relentlessly evil man of our country's history. you will not be the same after hearing his one and only, no holds-barred, recollection of his life and crimes. NOT for the squeamish.
Kim
Mar 03, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Not for the faint of heart. Riveting and engaging but difficult to swallow at times. This story would never be believable if it were fictional. It's just too far out. Some people are so sick and this book brings that to light. The killer has some funny ways of speaking with some truly entertaining one-liners.
Gisselle Garcia-Pack
Sep 06, 2007 Gisselle Garcia-Pack rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults only
This book was graphic and disturbing. In an autobiographical format, the killer himself discusses his life in gruesome detail.
I have recently learned, however, that the man was a notorious liar (what serial killer isn't?) and probably made up most of it. This makes him an all the more repulsive human being.
Angela Baker
Sep 05, 2013 Angela Baker rated it it was amazing
This is a book that will grab you from the very first chapter. We all thought there was no one as evil as Jeffrey Dahmer BEFORE him - but Pee Wee Gaskins was the father of Jeffrey Dahmer. Evil in flesh form, and puts you in his Hearst riding around looking for your prey...excellent book.
Cierra
Mar 14, 2014 Cierra rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!!
  • The Man With The Candy: The Story of The Houston Mass Murders
  • Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg
  • Dismembered
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Killing for Pleasure: The Definitive Story of the Snowtown Murders
  • Michigan Murders
  • Picture Perfect: The Jodi Arias Story
  • Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • The Boy in the Box: The Unsolved Case of America's Unknown Child